Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
for what is meant to be a pvp focused game the idea of tying skill unlocks to a real world timer is hilariously concerning. That sounds suspiciously like consigning anyone who didn't arrive and start playing after the final server wipe to a perpetual state of second class citizenry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Its a real shame because there are a lot of good ideas but they arte being shackled to a UO revival mmo. Open PVP has always failed and always will fail and missing out on iterative content servers sucks because they are going to get lumped in with full pvp idiocy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
To find people's breaking point with unwinnable situations people quit moba games 10 minutes in if they see it going south. I cannot see how you could rig it in such a way that would force people to continue to compete in lost causes which wouldn't either make people quit because they are getting spawn camped or make people quit because no matter how hard they are winning the game doesn't actually let them win.

The only thing that will stop deathblob guilds from controlling entire shards is having staging limits which will alienate and anger the hardcores who run the deathblobs by preventing them for actually being able to utilise their full force.

There are just fundamental problems with a game like this which happen every time someone tries to make one and I fail to see how they aren't something in the inherent makeup of open pvp mmos.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

mightygerm posted:

One possible solution to deathblobs is to have friendly collision detection and some level of line of sight restrictions on ranged attacks. That way, smaller groups can use terrain to restrict the available firepower a zerg could bear down on them. I haven't really seen this implemented in any previous MMOs - mostly due to the physics requirements made it unrealistic for the server hardware at the time. I think WAR was the only mmo I played that made serious use of collision detection in pvp.

Along with properly balanced cc and aoe systems, I think you can make something work.

As soon as you start seeing pings over 50ms collision detection stops being a good idea with anything other than static objects.this isn't a problem with small scale pvp games like mobas, rts or fps because the small number of participants means matchmaking can focus a lot more on geographical location which a niche mmo really doesn't have the luxury of. The stress on servers is a really backseat concern compared to the horrific rubber banding you would see in a say 50 v 50 seige even before you stop to consider the devs want voxel based destructible terrain which can't possibly go wrong if the objects have collison detection enabled.