Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I will watch this game, because it has some concepts I like, but I'm having a hard time envisioning how the final product will work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cathead posted:

Tera kind of gets a pass in most people's books because it actually attempted to do something different when MMOs were all basically just tab-target hotkey style. It's definitely not a perfect system.

I said this in the old thread but I think some of the eventual success of the game depends on how the players actually consume the system design and content they're providing. Like ok, we've got separate campaigns with different rulesets, but what if everyone flocks to one type and not another? Thankfully they seem prepared to monitor those kinds of trends and iterate and adjust accordingly, but you only get so many chances to make something really work before people just give up. This is why I think it's imperative that they get the combat right and feeling good, because people will stick around for a lot longer despite other design issues if they feel the day-to-day gameplay is fun to do.

This is 100% true, and the danger with adaptive games like this, and really any MMO launch, is you have ONE chance to have a strong release, typically games that bomb the release, even if they recover later, never ever do as well as they could. It's important they get everything right now. But I'm all for an EVE style training queue, character persistence, and campaigns to keep things fresh and exciting. How large can the player battles be, it won't be heavily instanced, right?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cathead posted:

I don't think they were capping it. It was basically "whoever's on this particular campaign server at the time and shows up" kind of idea. Obviously there are some technical considerations there, and that's supposed to be the focus of their next testing phase after combat.

So can you explain how the maps work then? Is it one huge battlefield where you build stuff and fight or is it little instances or what's going on?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

ok

you've framed the issue with full loot pvp mmos exactly. if you try to stop the blobs from blobbing, they leave. once they leave, the deathspiral of "cant find anyone" starts. if you let the blobs exist, the solo minded and self-imposed smaller sized groups leave. the blobs have nothing to kill, they leave.

The blobs will always have other blobs in the latter case, though. GW2 is kind of a case study in endless blob v blob dick smashing.

Except smart devs like Arenanet include activities for small groups as well, such as supply denial and supply camp attacking, and caravan ganking.

Perhaps Crowfall will have the same and accommodate both?

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 1, 2016

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lastgirl posted:

there will be caravans.

Check out this example that they're trying to envision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IolWGu7xFlw

If they work the way they should, then bam, there is your small group content.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Gerbil_Pen posted:

EK hosts trophies / relics which are supposed to confer some stat increases. There's also your bank where everything not in the campaigns is stored.

It is also where most trading and crafting takes place when not in a campaign.

Depending on how much of an advantage an EK gives this could be an unfun and unbalanced thing.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Tarion posted:

I kickstarted this and it seems pretty interesting. Hope it works out.

So did I, I just can't remember when I did or how I even found this game.

Oh well, in it to win it now. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zizi posted:

I for one, am looking forward to yet-another-probably-terrible game to play with the likes of Kimsemus and Stormgale because Who-knows-it-might-be-good. I'm unreasonably optimistic about Crowfall, though. I like the weird systems they're trying to put together.

Zany, experimental systems in games usually end up in hilarity, as some clever goon almost always finds a way to exploit it to the benefit or our own amusement.

Example: Literally everything goons post about in the ST:O thread. Starfleet Dental is a hivemind of genius.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah the funnest parts of WoW were the weird bugs and exploits in vanilla, like the Hakkar blood plague in every town the night ZG came out or when the Orgrimmar general chat server got overloaded during the AQ materials gathering event and gave me moderation privileges

Were you able to do anything fun with your newfound powers? Like permabanning people from general chat?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

I fuckin' warned you about Crowfall man, I warned you!

Orv, our eternal voice of reason, which we also never listen to but probably should.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

im pretty sure you heard from me or LG, kim back in the days of us writing terrible posts

Actually come to think of it, it was either you or Widestancer who told me about this game after AA. :toot: I blame both of you if this game is good and I enjoy it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

cathead posted:

New article up about the Ranger archetype. Melee and ranged playstyles, but you'll need ammo for the bow (ugh). Hopefully her melee won't be too lovely.

Apparently you'll be able to craft your own arrows though, and there will be a discipline to specialize into that. I hope we have a decent amount of bag/bank space in this game considering all the bodies and arrows and other poo poo we'll be carrying around.

This used to be a thing in WoW, at first it was a cool way to craft your own good arrows out of rare mats for a DPS increase, but then it invariably just became a minmax thing of you blowing huge amounts of time on making the best arrows, otherwise you were a peasant. They should make it to where arrows confer status effects and damage types, but no dps increase.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zizi posted:

I've been playing a lot of Divinity: Original Sin with my spouse lately and I kind of like the way it's done in that game-- Regular boring arrows and arrows used in skills are infinite and come from the ether, so to speak, but special-effect arrows (fire arrows, ice arrows, poison arrows, charm arrows, knockback arrows, etc) are items you craft/loot and carry around. I'd like to see it taken a step farther and see specialty arrows that apply a buff to your next attack, which can be a skill. So you could use a fire arrow item to add fire to the attack and then use the ricocheting shot skill to burn multiple guys with one fire arrow or whatever.

Again though, in almost all multiplayer instances this simply becomes an issue of minmaxing if you're not careful, anything that increases DPS situationally is always going to be used, but it's kind of a fake effort, since you'd have to normalize skills and weapons and stats to compensate for this.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Capntastic posted:

I played in the alpha for about twenty minutes. Really wonky control lag (turning camera would sometimes flip you around entirely) but running around in groups, killing zombie cats and picking up loot seemed to work. It was all Shadowbane. Eventually we'd run into a similar group on the opposing team and the fun would really begin. Even with the control issues I was having fun picking off stragglers that would get split off trying to chase people.

Tyrant, the dev who did a lot of stuff during Ultima Online, was in the chatroom afterwards.

All in all, not so bad, but there's still a long road to go.

These are the kind of reviews I would like to see more of. Despite broken systems and some bland mechanics, I want to know if there is the potential for funtimes for a couple months at least.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lastgirl posted:

Well it's also with the progression of technology too, so I can agree that a decade is a reasonable timeframe. Faster internet will be one of the most integral things in mmo design. Lower latencies as more complex games will become ping reliant. It'll be symbiotic and allow developers to do more with what they envisioned without the limits of such.

I've had the take away that lag is a very bad thing to have in action oriented games~

And it's obvious that mmos are moving away from tab targeting for mobility and aiming. One of my gripes in MMOs is too much realism at times, walking around is tedious. I really enjoyed Flyff, Age of Wulin/Wushu, Blade and Soul for being able to fly with your characters. I also always thought mounts were dumb and trendy and they used to be so popular that it felt like mounts were always mandatory for a successful mmo design even though they were frivolous as gently caress. (The answer to mounts was boring as gently caress fast travel) I just hope that developers can take away from that and look for ways to be more creative about getting around areas too, not just combat innovation.

If I remember in Crowfall, I suppose they are doing mounts but if they make item loss across all campaigns, a(nd campaigns right now are all incubators of some crazy social experiment to see what kind of meta will arise and what people will exploit or won't), the mounts should be okay afaik within reason and consequences. I also know that the Fae assassin can glide. If they can glide off a tall cliff and jump into an enemy stronghold, that would own for example too.

I remain stoic though, I've learned that it is....

too much, my friend.

I agree with the things you're saying, but I also think that MMOs are making a general shift away from the grind/leveling experience because developers realize that 95% of content for most people exists at the level cap, and they need to jam that cap full of activities that are fun because a lot of the current MMO demographic doesn't want to grind for the sake of grinding anymore.

IF (big if) Crowfall can have fun PVP campaigns with enough carry over to make character development interesting, it will be a fun game. It also will depend on how much the Crowfall devs encourage political intrigue like CCP does with EVE. Unfortunately, we won't know either of these things for a good while. :/

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

I'm more concerned that Crowfall's engine/architecture won't allow for lag-free large scale PVP.

They *claim* it can handle it fine, but I don't know how you can eliminate lag and high pings from say, Europe to a US datacenter effectively in massive battles. Didn't SOE struggle and pour crazy money into figuring this out in PS2 and still couldn't quite nail it?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Stormgale posted:

I mean explicitly the "Faction" Pvp of order chaos and balance necessitates intrigue from the balance side to ensure the war isn't decidedly won by either other faction

Typically three faction systems, IMO, always do better at this than two since there is always someone looking to third party for fun and ruin the plans of the other two, al la Planetside 1 and Guild Wars 2.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
As long as I can still tunnel underneath castles and kill them from the inside I'm happy.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
My BMW brethren and I have spent many years on Rust defeating clever mancastles.

Crowfall will not be safe from us.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Lastgirl posted:

its true :eonwe:

and im glad of it

:agreed:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
When is this game close enough to release that I should begin paying attention to it? I bought into it a long time ago and sort of forgot for awhile.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Capntastic posted:

Kimsemus did nothing wrong

:agreed: :same:

my entry: I'm glad of it. :eonwe:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SweetBro posted:

No, you stay outta of this.

It's too late. I am already inside. :getin:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
There needs to just be a "neat" emoji that conveys both my lack of excitement, but also my lack of disapproval at what is happening at this point.

Like...the most neutral emoji ever but maybe nudged 1% into the "well that's interesting" category. I don't know what that looks like but...

Neat.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:same: :eonwe:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
have the crows sufficiently fallen yet :iiam:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Capntastic posted:

I am glad of these changes

:eonwe:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

BadLlama posted:

Speaking of Conan Exiles, is that a thing now? Any chance it can be good?

Yes. We've already set up the infrastructure for a goon server and are coding our own mods.

Hop on the BMW Discord, which is where the faithful congregate.

Also in Conan: Kimsemus lead PVP raids, which always end up in hilarity, drama, and tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I just got an email telling me I should pay 5bux to reserve a guild name -- is this game a thing yet?