Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I did a $20 layaway for the $175 pack. Cool thing is, if I like it in 17 months, I pay the rest, if not, the $20 I paid today goes back into my account and I can use it as a $20 voucher towards a basic package

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

I think in 10 years we will have some great mmos. I wish I was being sarcastic. Companies are starting to get somethings right.
Albion -- one server sandbox like eve,
Crowfall -- trying to beat the stagnation/power curve top guilds obtain

Other games are doing other good things. The problem is ultimately none of these games all together are very good and will fail. Being that it takes about 7 years to make an mmo AND someone is watching the good parts of each of these games, it stands possible we could see the next great thing 10 years from now. This in my opinion is why this genre is so dead. What is good and fun is a moving target and MMOs dig into the ground and hit the spot where the target was 7 years ago usually. So the 10 year thing is really to make the best mmo of today, which by then will be trash and we will all hate it.

I'll never understand how this industry looks at a literal graveyard of World of Warcraft/Everquest copycats and says "Yeah, let's make one of those" instead of something similar to EVE/Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies (that being the only one that died due to the license and the playerbase getting pissed over the NGE overhaul).

There's so many crowdfunded sandbox games coming out, one of them is bound to be good. I mean there is such little chance of becoming the next World of Warcraft or even Guild Wars 2, why bother? Why not find a viable niche that is practically guaranteed to play your game due to a lack of alternatives?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Anyone got an invite? Pledged $175 on layaway and it'd be nice to try it out before I put more than the $24 deposit into this.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I have 18 months to pay it off, and if I don't, that $24 I put in gets applied to a lower tier package. Since I'll wait it out, worst case scenario, I have a B2P game half paid off, best case scenario I have some cool poo poo in a game that's pretty fun.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Space Monster posted:

I'm assuming, based on the number and strength of orgasms I achieved while reading the FAQ, that this game is vaporware.

It's very difficult to be actual vaporware in a world with Kickstarter and where all you need is a playable build to get additional funding on Early Access.

If you want to see actual vaporware, go check out the Revival thread.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I think Lucas is way more responsible than anyone at SOE was for that debacle.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Really digging the art style.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
UI update, looks nice. Really like the Diablo-esque inventory and full screen character management menu
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tpb-C1JpM

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
lol
http://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-soft-launch-strategy/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Cartouche posted:

Communication and honesty is "lol"?

No, launching with a minimum viable product is. The entire point of getting nearly 2 million on Kickstarter and millions more on the website and through VCs was to get a finished product at launch. If they were just going to launch with an alpha/beta build or did modules, I would've waited until it hit the early access section on Steam.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BadLlama posted:

So every kickstater game then? You have a perfectly valid argument to be mad about this stuff, but this isn't something only this game has done.

They're essentially doing a non-wipe alpha/early beta once persistence is at a state where they want it to be. I can't think of another Kickstarted MMO that launched like this except for Gorgon, and that's by a guy and his wife and has a $75,000 budget.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Uh, Star Citizen?

Star Citizen won't save persistence until launch, and it's launching with the features that were promised.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

jabro posted:

Lol. It's amazing how much juice you've drank from all these early access MMOs.

A ton of the functionality of Star Citizen is launching with 2.4 (item overhaul 2.0) along with persistence (which will be wiped before launch, unlike Crowfall). Even if a couple systems are missing (content-wise), I'm getting a fairly complete game at launch.

Anyways, if you're going to do a high budget Kickstarter MMO, launch with the full product. Post-release content is expected, but I expected Crowfall to resemble what it said it would be on the Kickstarter page day one. Not this "soft launch but at least you'll keep your progression" nonsense.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 12, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Orv posted:

I think after all his thousand Kickstarter MMO OPs he finally believed the one Kickstarter no-one escapes sane from.

I can't tell which one you're referring to. Revival or Elyria? I only put $30 into space jpegs

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 14, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Yaaaaaaaaaaas Queen posted:

for now until they realize to go back to the drawing board and do something different

its like the history of flight....probably with the same amount of maiming and death for each trial and error

were just here to see how far this glider can go

Crowdfunding is the only hope I have for the genre, they haven't made anything new for the past 12 years, why would they start now? Especially when they can sink a fraction of the production costs into a MOBA and hope they "make it big" and create a "LoL killer". Same poo poo, different genre.

Also why do they need to go back to the drawing board? They did it right in 1997 and 2003 with UO and Galaxies. If those stupid testing groups/dreams of being a WoW killer didn't poo poo up Galaxies, I'm convinced we'd still have a viable MMO on our hands. I remember between release and CU, they were talking about overhauling the mission system and that's honestly the only thing it was lacking.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
How can people be tired of something that hasn't been attempted since 2003 with EVE/Galaxies not counting "hardcore PVP gankboxes" such as Darkfall and Mortal? None of these sandboxes have actually released (because development cycle is generally 4 years minimum and Kickstarter really became a thing in 2012).

Wish I could count ArcheAge/Black Desert in there but you know... http://black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/

What astounds me to this day is how the genre didn't come back in full force when devs saw Minecraft/Day-Z become a thing because of the player interaction.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

Never preorder, never pay for an unfinished game. Wait for reviews that you trust once the game is finished and released. These are the lessons I learned in the last few years.

I'd rather take a gamble then let a bunch of venture capitalists or publishers with dollar signs in their eyes get involved. Every game I've crowdfunded, I've enjoyed. Hell, a couple of them were my GOTYs. That's more than I can say about literally any MMO that has released in the past 12 years since World of Warcraft became a thing. Sure, none of the MMOs I've funded have been released, but that's because the development cycle are pretty drat long but the builds I have access to are fun.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 22, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

whats a really good crowdfunded game besides PoE?

Had to look up a list but I've played these games and I enjoyed them.

Wasteland 2
Torment 2 (early access build)
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Divinity Original Sin
Kingdom Come Deliverance (what I've played at least)
Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong
Satellite Reign
Grim Dawn
Xenonauts
Darkest Dungeon
Shovel Knight
Legend of Dungeon
Guns of Icarus Online
Gods Will Be Watching
Among the Sleep (first person horror game from the perspective of a toddler)
FTL
Superhot
Sunless Sea
Octodad Dadliest Catch
Sir You are Being Hunted
Contagion
Ravaged
Hard West
Lifeless Planet
Organ Trail
The Escapists
Frontiers
Insurgency (failed Kickstarter but got a build out in early access and funded development through that entirely)
The Banner Saga

Verdict is still out on Bard's Tale IV (backed it because they gave away Wasteland 2 with a cheap pledge) but I haven't really followed development. Shards Online seems alright so far and The Repopulation was cool until servers closed because the HeroEngine people couldn't guarantee them whether they'd be in business six months in the future so they're currently rebuilding on UE4.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 22, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pavlov posted:

You forgot Untertale.

And you know I kickstarted some of those too man. But even in the kickstarter thread people will laugh at you for kickstarting an MMO. That's just how prone to failure MMOs are. And full disclosure, I've even given money to help fund a PvP sandbox mmo (Das Tal, I'm testing it this weekend even). But even though I've had a dev member personally discuss with me pretty much everything I could reasonably want in an MMO and how to get there, I'm still bracing for failure. That's just how MMOs are. They can go bad for all the reasons a normal game can plus a dozen others. That's why people will laugh for giving money them and really expecting things to come from it.

Undertale was crowdfunded? poo poo. That's one hell of a success story.... And yeah, Kickstarted MMOs are extremely risky so I generally only do $50 at most. Elyria/Shards/The Repopulation are the only exceptions where I've paid over $100. Generally I find that I've had a way better success rate with Kickstarted MMOs than the poo poo to come out since WoW

I did the $100 layaway for Crowfall but the pledge expires after release so I'll be able to watch and see whether I want to put more in, and I can receive my $26 down payment back at any time and just put it towards merch or a basic package.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 22, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

To keep my promise.

Okay let me explain the important part of an MMO.....

That being said, I'm actually excited for Crowfall because the developers seem to actually comprehend the challenges of scale and have answered the issue of a design level (the little sharded campaign poo poo which the name of escapes me right now) rather than making overblown impossible to fulfill "one big world" promises like every other Kickstarter mmo.

I understand the difference between a single player prototype and the necessary authoritative systems needed for a proper MMO but outside of Eternal Crusade, what notable crowdfunded MMO underestimated this? I guess Pathfinder Online (lol) would be a notable failure as well but that had red flags all over the place.

As for historical failures, we haven't had a sandbox MMO that didn't go overboard with "we're recreating the Pre-Trammel UO PVP, griefing welcome gently caress casuals" nonsense since 2003 (EVE/Galaxies) and EVE is one of the only games that have survived on a subscription business model. If Galaxies expanded on the sandbox design before the focus groups told them to make it more like World of Warcraft, I'm sure that'd be alive too. Hell, even UO is still running and that's managed by EA, the company that is notorious for shutting things down. Not only are the servers still running, they have a studio of 11-50 people creating content for it.

I'm sure millionaire investors will get involved with these games, but the important distinction is that they're not there from the start. If they were, they'd look up "most popular MMO" and tell the people receiving their money "make it like that". Instead, they're seeing the excitement and willingness to fund a project they're passionate about and getting in far too late to change things drastically. I still think Kickstarting MMOs is a good thing for the genre.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Um your choice of bun on a burger is a very important choice actually

The only thing that's bad about Unity is UNet and some optimization issues. When it comes to visual fidelity, a lot of projects would look a lot better if Unity's default shaders weren't trash. Hopefully Unity's new hires (people that worked on Frostbite/various Sony titles) sorts that out because he has promised that Unity will be the best looking/best performing engine by 2017.

I've met some extremely talented people working on various Unity games, and as always, the end product is only as good as the people working on it no matter what tools you're using.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

FireWhizzle posted:

Are they not using photon for unity? Many unity games do, since unity was never built for or should be run near-stock as an MMO (this goes for any engine)

Pop that .net dll open and see for yourself!

I can't see them working on Photon Cloud (unless you just mean Photon, which is still not great since there are better alternatives). That poo poo is expensive and it's per user and that'll drain them financially within a couple months.

It's using this.
http://www.atavismonline.com/
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19339

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 4, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
While playing RvR/WvW/Cyrodil PVP, never has the thought crossed my mind "You know what would make this better? A hunger system ripped straight out of a survival game"

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It hasn't even been a year and a half yet. Holy poo poo.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I sold my 2015 gold patron for $10 less than what it's worth. Assuming someone has a bronze/silver/gold or amber Kickstarter pledge at the early bird price, I'll buy it off you at cost via PayPal.

Email me: alexanderdelarge@outlook.com

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 7, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

:chloe:

Jesus dude, I burned like a decent chunk of cash on this and never regretted it, I only like to pretend to regret it because it's funny to pretend :argh: at things because I don't get upset and I don't get why people get so easily upset about things but okay

but you backed in, then backed out, and now you want to burn back in? What's going on here friend, do you need help?

Flavahbeast posted:

Anshex will buy your gold kickstarter packages for $25 more than the early bird price and amber kickstarter packages for $35 more than the early bird price so if you can get people to sell them to you for the early bird price it's a nice easy flip

I just want the Kickstarter rewards tbh (that's why I included bronze/silver which don't have early bird pricing). Disregard, I'll buy a Gold pledge for $175 (same as the store is offering) but I don't want amber unless someone is willing to part with it for $215 (early bird)

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 8, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I have a gold $175 pledge, not going to get credit for anything but I have a small Fort.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

If you have VIP tokens you can trade them in for $15 store credit each for the next few days which is what all the hubbub is about

What can you do with those store credits? I only have 9 months but that's $135 if I cash out. I know I can't do pledges but are you guys pooling it together?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 29, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Let's get the $4000 Imperial Palace. They're raising the price by 3X so that's an incredible :siren:$12,000:siren: value!
https://backers.crowfall.com/#/store/78d8fe60-6327-11e6-a924-b544e0d47ecf

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

They made it so people can't trade VIP tokens until after the price hike because people were pooling them and getting those, haw haw

What if you put it on layaway right now and used the store credit once you get it? Or maybe even use the store credit for the initial payment because it locks you in for the good price? That's what I did for my gold 2015 pledge since I was just going to wait and see how it turned out. Sure, you'd have to come up with the initial payment, but it'd save you from paying 3X the price.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Naw, I'm fine using the credits I have on getting the already-ridiculously-huge castle

We gotta have something to work towards, anyways, right?

Well I just mean can you use store credit as the initial layaway payment? It would lock you in for the current pricing for 18 months (and if you didn't pay it off, whatever you put in would then be returned to you as store credit)

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

I was thinking about the old shadowbane days and I'm on the verge of doing something stupid like pledging this game.

Someone talk me out of it before its too latel

Do what I did, pledge the minimum amount for the tier you want on layaway and when you feel comfortable knowing what this game is going to be like, pay off the remaining amount or return whatever you put in for store credit to get the basic version.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

malhavok posted:

The same publishers that have been cranking out failure after failure because their only idea is "do the exact loving thing WoW did"? nah, I'm good with not listening to them.

It's clear as day that without crowdfunding, these types of MMOs would not be getting made unless the creators won the lottery. I'm just shocked that making a content driven themepark is still seen as "the smart business thing to do" when faced with a literal graveyard of dozens and dozens of projects that had 50-100 million dollar budgets.

Not only do these types of mechanically driven sandboxes cost significantly less ($20-30 million), pretty much every single one is still running (some on traditional $15/mo subscription models) and/or fondly remembered before someone hosed it up and shut it down.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 13, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Think it may be time to pay off that layaway pledge I have
http://crowfall.com/en/news/founders-update-big-world-development/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ashrik posted:

Eh, close the oven, it hasn't even begun to rise yet. Insert your own "it's too early to give a poo poo about yet" analogy here.

Isn't it "soft-launching" this year?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just paid off my layaway pledge, first time playing, I'm impressed.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
At the rate they're putting big world updates, I can see them turning on persistence Q1 2017.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Sounds like the Smedley game Hero's Song storybricks mechanic (which came from Everquest Next). Pretty cool stuff.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Crowdfunding is going to account for 30% of their total budget? This is a $30 million dollar game? Where the gently caress is that money going? I'm not 100% versed on what this game is, but I can't imagine justifying half of the development costs of something like Wildstar which is entirely content driven and had quite a bit of it at release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Salaries are gonna be salaries no matter what. If Artcraft's team is half the size of Wildstar's and everything else scales the same-ish, it makes sense. Of course, Wildstar had a ton of advertisement and poo poo since it was trying to go after that WoW dollar. So, truly, no one can say.

Did a bit of research, I had no idea Artcraft's team was so big. drat.