Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Yeah to me, they are just abstracting out the idea of the pilot/ship disconnect in games like eve to a fantasy world.
It allows you a lot of flexibility, especially in making classes unique and very specialized. You'd have no issues making a pure support class since a player wouldn't be "stuck" in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The next playtest is on January 6th.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

So can you explain how the maps work then? Is it one huge battlefield where you build stuff and fight or is it little instances or what's going on?

From the wiki: "These Campaigns aren’t just “instances”, though -- they are fully populated, continent-sized, seamless zone MMO servers. The only thing they have in common with an “instance” is that they are time-limited."

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Stormgale posted:

The big issue is it's a very granular scale between;

People abandoning at the first sign of trouble
to
People being stuck fighting an impossible war where they just lose (and thus stop playing)

This is the critical issue of open-world territory control MMOs. The game has to be fun on some level for both the winners and losers, and unlike in 'real life' you want people to default to fighting, not settling on peace and playing farmville.
Its a very hard balance to get right, and having time-limited campaigns as a 'reset' mechanism is a good step towards preventing stagnation.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

One possible solution to deathblobs is to have friendly collision detection and some level of line of sight restrictions on ranged attacks. That way, smaller groups can use terrain to restrict the available firepower a zerg could bear down on them. I haven't really seen this implemented in any previous MMOs - mostly due to the physics requirements made it unrealistic for the server hardware at the time. I think WAR was the only mmo I played that made serious use of collision detection in pvp.

Along with properly balanced cc and aoe systems, I think you can make something work.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Looks interesting. Goes way farther than I assumed it would, giving the ability for multiple weapon types and power trays, like the example of a knight turning into an archer.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

30.5 Days posted:

https://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-building-eks/

Looks like building placement from your pledge rewards will be available in EKs when they start testing them.

Might be in this weekend. A 1.7g patch just went up.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Interesting. I wonder if the engine changes will improve performance, as I feel like most of the issues are in the net code.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Campaign test is this weekend.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

How does it work in EVE, are there no miners in 0.0 space?

There are shitloads of miners in 0.0, it was so lucrative that they nerfed it several times.
What usually happens is all the miners in an area are in a standing fleet. If enemies are spotted they sound the alarms and scramble a defense fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

5.6 Patch Notes preview with Blair and Todd: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06285SkObxQ&t=22s
TLDR, here's the big stuff coming in 5.6:
Fae (with double jump + gliding)
Gunicean double jump
Wood-Elf male and High-Elf male
Monarch/Noble/Vassal system for EKs - will let multiple people build in the same kingdom
Season - just spring for now, will give a global buff to gathering
Skill UI/UX overhaul , will come with a skill wipe
Maybe an item wipe

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be coming out around end of april/early may.

5.7+ planned features they talked about were:
New map
Full season implementation
Crafting projects
Frostweaver is 'design complete'

This is pure speculation, but if they keep knocking out a couple major features every month, I could see them being mostly feature complete by the end of the year. I still doubt that would be ready for launch however, since they'd probably need a couple of balance and polish passes once everything is in the game.