Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mazed posted:

Hmm.

Hm~mm!

Hmm.

Oh-HOH!

e. by the way, "caestus" is pronounced "KEST-us". Hard C, rhymes with Estus!

That article saying Siegmeyer may be hollowing already makes a pretty strong case. He's just such a jovial fellow instead of a downer like Crestfallen Warrior it's not as apparent other than absent-mindedness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I'm enjoying this! I don't really have the time or desire to play though DS again but it's fun to revisit it

dismas fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 15, 2016

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

RickVoid posted:

Just as an FYI, since you mentioned the weapon but hadn't used it, I once tried to do a punch run of the game, using the Caestus. The base damage is bad, the scaling is bad, I don't recall it doing much to stagger, and you have to be up in the enemies grill to use it. Just really bad all around.

It's kind of fun to buff fists with the various "_____ weapon" spells, but the same is true for every other weapon. At least there's one other gimmicky fist weapon in the game that's kinda fun. I once managed to KO a black dragon with it. The way that went down looks a whole lot different in my imagination than how it looked in actual gameplay, though. :v:

Chalk up another thing that the sequel happily improved upon, though. They really capitalized on the addition of a special stance for dual-wielding to make those things work.

My only complaint about the DS2 caestus is that the custom backstab animation isn't a German suplex.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DS1 Caestus does more poise damage in the left hand than right hand, meaning you can jab with the left for damage and break enemy guards while you chain R1s during their staggered animation. A buffed R1 caestus with decent stat scaling MELTS enemy HP off with L1-Stagger-R1 spam.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Soooo I just didn't experiment with it enough. Good to know.

Still, I'm getting some good progress stabbing things from a moderate distance with a really big sword, so I'm happy to not be experimenting with it anymore.

Edit: Speaking of progress, had a bit of a hiccup in Blighttown when the game started to freeze, but reinstalling DSfix seems to have solved that. Bell number two had been rung, and I am currently getting slaughtered in the second room of Sen's fortress. My weapon is now up to +8, so that's... something, I guess. Two more upgrades and then I'll need to get to the Giant Blacksmith so he can upgrade my Claymore to Lightning.

That said, I did not fully clear out Blighttown, because gently caress Blighttown. I suppose I should go back but... ugh. (I also went in backwards because apparently I'd forgoten that I had taken the Master Key as my starting gift? So I also killed the undead half-of-a-dragon and picked up the neat stuff in front of it as well.)

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 13, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I tend to prefer the kite shields that Andre sells to the other "I plan to actually block a bunch with this" options reasonably available at this point in the game. For just one weight unit more than the heater shield you get 3-4 more stability and the same resists.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Can someone explain to me why people dislike Blighttown despite the PC version having a much more consistent framerate? The poison swamp is really not a huge deal and the toxic enemies have only one area that is completely optional where they're a real pain. I guess if you don't get a certain item to get rid of the slow speed it could be kinda tedious? But seriously I don't understand the hate compared to another area.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Paracelsus posted:

I tend to prefer the kite shields that Andre sells to the other "I plan to actually block a bunch with this" options reasonably available at this point in the game. For just one weight unit more than the heater shield you get 3-4 more stability and the same resists.

Yeah, the kite shields are good. I like to try to pick up a balder shield around this point, it's got pretty good stability and looks awesome to boot. Only problem is you have to farm a bit for it, but I usually wind up doing a little of that anyway to buy shards so it winds up not being too big a deal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BFC posted:

Can someone explain to me why people dislike Blighttown despite the PC version having a much more consistent framerate? The poison swamp is really not a huge deal and the toxic enemies have only one area that is completely optional where they're a real pain. I guess if you don't get a certain item to get rid of the slow speed it could be kinda tedious? But seriously I don't understand the hate compared to another area.

It's full of rickety catwalks with no guard rails, the enemies all poison you with every attack, it's got those blowdart fuckers in one spot and mosquitos hounding your rear end as you go up and down ladders... The enemies there are significantly bigger assholes than the ones in prior areas, it's where the game really starts to go "gently caress you for even being here."

You can mitigate all these dangers, even get used to them, but it's a big spike in difficulty.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

BFC posted:

It's a huge jump in difficulty compared to the parish or even the depths. If you're a first time player, you're almost certainly going to come in from the upper area, there's no guard rails, enemies poison you, its your first encounter with toxic which you will learn to hate, it's often not immediately clear where the toxic guys are or how to get to them, it's not even clear where it is you're supposed to go other than vaguely down, the upper bonfire is entirely missable, the loving mosquitos which can be nearly impossible to hit depending on your weapon, the slow movement once you're in the swamp, the fact that you probably have a very small supply of poison/toxic moss if you have any at all, and the boulder throwing ogres which can just take you out entirely from off screen before you even spot them due to the poor draw distance.

Once you're familiar with the game, Blighttown isn't the worst thing - I'd rather be there than the Tomb of the Giants - but for a new player it's a pretty big kick in the balls.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

with the Tomb though, you're generally better equipped to deal with its challenges. Blighttown is set up as the next logical destination, and you will be much less prepared for it.

Unless I'm forgetting and the light items were easily missed.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

TimNeilson posted:

Yeah, the kite shields are good. I like to try to pick up a balder shield around this point, it's got pretty good stability and looks awesome to boot. Only problem is you have to farm a bit for it, but I usually wind up doing a little of that anyway to buy shards so it winds up not being too big a deal.
Balder shield starts with much better stability, but doesn't upgrade as well and has worse non-physical resists. Plus you know what happens if you try and farm for one on a non-dex character: 10 Balder Side Swords.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Veloxyll posted:

with the Tomb though, you're generally better equipped to deal with its challenges. Blighttown is set up as the next logical destination, and you will be much less prepared for it.

Unless I'm forgetting and the light items were easily missed.

As long as you have cleared out all the necromancers you are guaranteed to get 1 lantern, and even if you haven't you will get one in the pit

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

As long as you have cleared out all the necromancers you are guaranteed to get 1 lantern, and even if you haven't you will get one in the pit

I'm reasonably sure the former was not true on launch, though. This game is kinda funny that way

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Paracelsus posted:

Balder shield starts with much better stability, but doesn't upgrade as well and has worse non-physical resists. Plus you know what happens if you try and farm for one on a non-dex character: 10 Balder Side Swords.

According to the wiki it's better stability-wise than the kite shields all the way to +15, for only an extra pound of weight. You're right about the resists though, it's got 10% less magic and fire resist than the kite shields.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I don't get why they have Fog Doors that don't lead to bosses. What are they for? they don't mask loading zones because they disappear forever.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

They're clear markers of progress for one thing. It's a good way of telling a new player that they have actually made it a significant distance. For another, they help disguise boss fights. Sometimes it's immediately obvious that a door is a boss door but there's also completely inconspicuous doors that lead to bosses and if only bosses had fog gates, it'd ruin the surprise of a Capra Demon to the face.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
They're also gates for PvP purposes. The fog walls go back up when someone invades IIRC.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tarezax posted:

They're also gates for PvP purposes. The fog walls go back up when someone invades IIRC.

Something which I have found leads both one of the most frustrating, and rewarding moments of PVP.

Getting a backstab off with the hornet ring on somebody entering the Boss gate.

Of course, GETTING BS'd when entering one hurts the pride, but then again, I shouldn't be stupid about it and just blindly run to the gate without looking first haha. A lesson I quickly learned!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

CuwiKhons posted:

They're clear markers of progress for one thing. It's a good way of telling a new player that they have actually made it a significant distance. For another, they help disguise boss fights. Sometimes it's immediately obvious that a door is a boss door but there's also completely inconspicuous doors that lead to bosses and if only bosses had fog gates, it'd ruin the surprise of a Capra Demon to the face.

Oddly enough this was a change from DeS where fog gates were a blue-greenish color while boss gates were pure white

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Heya! I made another episode, but this time it's all about botany:

Dark Soils - 09 - A Pleasant Garden Stroll

I'm doing my best to keep the OP updated, and now I'm posting the latest episode on top of it, just so people can see at a quick glance if anything new is happening. No idea if I'll remember to keep up with it, but we can dream

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
This LP inspired me to play Dark Souls, which I bought some time ago but which my last laptop couldn't handle (current one can). It's a little slower going than you make it look!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ZeeToo posted:

This LP inspired me to play Dark Souls, which I bought some time ago but which my last laptop couldn't handle (current one can). It's a little slower going than you make it look!

For most people who haven't played a Souls game before, the first few hours are extremely difficult, both to get a feel for the controls and to understand enemy tells. Like, with basically every enemy we've encountered so far, I know all of their tells and thus exactly what they're going to do before they do it. It sort of just comes naturally after awhile

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The controls are really the hard part for me - using the shoulder buttons for defending and attacking takes some getting used to. You can make it worse for yourself though! I bought the game when it was on Steam Sale at some point years ago and became EXTREMELY frustrated with the controls and quit playing because I couldn't get used to them. When Geop's LP rolled around, I decided to give it another go and I made a discovery - I had pressed some button on the back of my controller which had caused the D-Pad to control my movement and the analog stick to control the items. This was incredibly unintuitive of course and I kept accidentally unequipping my weapon and shield and dying.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

RickVoid posted:

Just as an FYI, since you mentioned the weapon but hadn't used it, I once tried to do a punch run of the game, using the Caestus. The base damage is bad, the scaling is bad, I don't recall it doing much to stagger, and you have to be up in the enemies grill to use it. Just really bad all around.

For punchy man runs I usually go with a Claw in the mainhand and a Cestus in the off. The cestus is super light and has a quick jab in the offhand, while the claw just has a mirrored strong attack that doesn't combo. The claw scales nicely with dex and you can just toss chaos/divine/whatever on the cestus for super quick chip damage.

Here's my most recent guy, creepy priest Penitentes.

Do not worry child. I am a holy man.

Almost forgot, the Gauntlets of Thorns have a hidden modifier that boosts unarmed damage a little. Always pick those up.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The first Titanite Demon can be cheesed pretty hard if you have the Magic Arrow spell and initially run past him so you kite him towards the stairs. It's half Wizards Duel and half poking him from underneath while you dance under his attacks because he swings over your head.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Two handing your weapon functionally adds a 50% bonus to your strength, so it takes 11 strength to two hand the bastard sword which has a requirement of 16, 12 to wield the crescent axe that has a requirement of 18, etc. That strength bonus is also why two handed attacks do more damage for strength weapons compared to dex weapons, it's just a straight stat boost.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeeToo posted:

My most embarassing/annoying death was dying to those 3 hollows just before Andre.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

LPers make this game look a lot easier than it really is.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Veloxyll posted:

My most embarassing/annoying death was dying to those 3 hollows just before Andre.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

LPers make this game look a lot easier than it really is.

My most embarrassing death so far was probably about the 20th to the Taurus Demon. :saddowns: Or else the one right after I beat him, where I took a wrong turn and got killed before I could reach a bonfire and spend those souls. Or maybe the one after that, where I died before I could retrieve said souls.

I really need to reach Andre. :v:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Don't worry, we all started out much like that.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeeToo posted:

My most embarrassing death so far was probably about the 20th to the Taurus Demon. :saddowns: Or else the one right after I beat him, where I took a wrong turn and got killed before I could reach a bonfire and spend those souls. Or maybe the one after that, where I died before I could retrieve said souls.

I really need to reach Andre. :v:

You will lose a lot of souls to that.

And cry. bitterly.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've only missed my soul sign once this playthrough, to Capra. It was only 4000 some-odd souls... and like six liquid humanity.

This game doesn't teach you a whole lot of things. One of the most important you have to learn for yourself is when to put down the controller and walk away.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RickVoid posted:

I've only missed my soul sign once this playthrough, to Capra. It was only 4000 some-odd souls... and like six liquid humanity.

This game doesn't teach you a whole lot of things. One of the most important you have to learn for yourself is when to put down the controller and walk away.

Hint: it's 5 minutes before you did.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RickVoid posted:

Huh, that's strange. I've never heard it called a soul sign before. Are you playing a non-english version, of of curiosity?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Huh, that's strange. I've never heard it called a soul sign before. Are you playing a non-english version, of of curiosity?

No, I meant bloodstain but couldn't remember what it was called.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Just so you know Episode 9 got inserted before Episode 8 in your youtube playlist.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

The first Titanite Demon can be cheesed pretty hard if you have the Magic Arrow spell and initially run past him so you kite him towards the stairs. It's half Wizards Duel and--

I'm sorry, I think you mean WIZARD BATTLE!!!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I like that nice little hub that Andre's shop forms. While Firelink is supposed to be your "hub", it's a sad, lonely spot where the only semi-permanent residents are miserable jerks, save perhaps Laurentius, and everywhere you can go is from there is spooky and depressing. Here, we're in a nice little spot of nature, with a stroll in the woods not far, an adventurer's playground standing prominently before the bonfire, and a piece of the culture-that-was just over the way you came. Plus Andre, who's just a super nice guy...even if he won't sell you the Balder sword + shield CLEARLY visible on the rack behind him.

It's a little place where, if this game had music in all areas, you'd figure there'd be a Nier-esque acoustic riff playing. Something to chill you down.

7c Nickel posted:

Here's my most recent guy, creepy priest Penitentes.

Do not worry child. I am a holy man.

Almost forgot, the Gauntlets of Thorns have a hidden modifier that boosts unarmed damage a little. Always pick those up.

It's also neat that every thorn armor piece makes your rolling into an attack, even just a weak one. It's enough to mess with anything without good poise.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Good morning, have a video:

10 - Battle on the (not so) Big Bridge

tbh it's a pretty tiny bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Looks like it's time to invest those souls with Andre and get yourself a weapon that does actual damage.

• Locked thread