Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Ziere Tole posted:

Solaire will stay there until the end of the game if you don't talk to him. It's actually a useful way to "correctly" complete his quest line as you can kill the bugs before ever talking to him.

That actually makes sense since otherwise the item that lets you summon help would be missable.

Edit - I made this post before watching the video, that's why this post is so incredibly useless.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I always figured he was talking about the sword he drops.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Tzarnal posted:

I thought it was someone kindeling your "home" bonfire.

It's this. Somebody upvoting your note heals you to full but doesn't give you a charge of estus.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

TimNeilson posted:

(and maybe a fang boar helm)

Excuse you, it's called Fashion Souls buddy. Boar helm best helm.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

BFC posted:

Can someone explain to me why people dislike Blighttown despite the PC version having a much more consistent framerate? The poison swamp is really not a huge deal and the toxic enemies have only one area that is completely optional where they're a real pain. I guess if you don't get a certain item to get rid of the slow speed it could be kinda tedious? But seriously I don't understand the hate compared to another area.

It's a huge jump in difficulty compared to the parish or even the depths. If you're a first time player, you're almost certainly going to come in from the upper area, there's no guard rails, enemies poison you, its your first encounter with toxic which you will learn to hate, it's often not immediately clear where the toxic guys are or how to get to them, it's not even clear where it is you're supposed to go other than vaguely down, the upper bonfire is entirely missable, the loving mosquitos which can be nearly impossible to hit depending on your weapon, the slow movement once you're in the swamp, the fact that you probably have a very small supply of poison/toxic moss if you have any at all, and the boulder throwing ogres which can just take you out entirely from off screen before you even spot them due to the poor draw distance.

Once you're familiar with the game, Blighttown isn't the worst thing - I'd rather be there than the Tomb of the Giants - but for a new player it's a pretty big kick in the balls.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

They're clear markers of progress for one thing. It's a good way of telling a new player that they have actually made it a significant distance. For another, they help disguise boss fights. Sometimes it's immediately obvious that a door is a boss door but there's also completely inconspicuous doors that lead to bosses and if only bosses had fog gates, it'd ruin the surprise of a Capra Demon to the face.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The controls are really the hard part for me - using the shoulder buttons for defending and attacking takes some getting used to. You can make it worse for yourself though! I bought the game when it was on Steam Sale at some point years ago and became EXTREMELY frustrated with the controls and quit playing because I couldn't get used to them. When Geop's LP rolled around, I decided to give it another go and I made a discovery - I had pressed some button on the back of my controller which had caused the D-Pad to control my movement and the analog stick to control the items. This was incredibly unintuitive of course and I kept accidentally unequipping my weapon and shield and dying.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I think the most satisfying thing is the gargoyle cutscene - something about the way the first gargoyle hits the roof is viscerally pleasing to me. I think it's the way he rebounds slightly like a real creature would after a fall. It's very good attention to detail in the animation.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

They could be there to make sure Havel doesn't leave. That character certainly has a vested interest in keeping Havel locked up.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Domhnall's a real name and its hard to hear with his accent but the m is silent (so it's just "Donal"). See for example Domhnall Gleeson of the new Star Wars movie.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, Blighttown, where framerate goes to die. Blighttown is super unfun as a new player and it's not even fun as an experienced player who knows where to go.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

There's a mod which drastically increases the range at which enemies aggro onto you. Mimics will aggro on you from across the map and run your way, then when they get close to you they'll abruptly realize that isn't really their MO and sit down wherever and wait for you to come up to them. It's actually very, very funny because the range at which they will stop moving is well within the player's line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

The greatest hat in all the land.

That doesn't look like a boar helm to me.

• Locked thread