Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In honour of the Legend of Zelda LP

Try Jumping

This is doubly apropriate given what happens when you leave Firelink :p

Trap ring of sacrifice.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I never got the hang of kicking. So I'd only end up doing it by accident.

Edit: also, LIZARD BATTLE

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 3, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I could just never reliably do it. even practicing half the time it wouldn't happen. Which obviously lead to many deaths when I did it by accident when I wanted to swing/block

BMS posted:

This is exactly why if you're looking for hatemail now, you should always record the main game while paying ZERO attention to story, and item descriptions and such in the game. Find Spider lady's sister for the first time? KILL HER AND USE HER SOUL FOR YOUR FLASK. And just say something about "well, how important could she be anyway, big whoop."

I both love and hate this.
Which I feel is the true Dark Souls experience

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

What the heck happened to that drake?

This is a good game for a lot of reasons. There is no One True Way to dark souls.

providing you aren't putting points in resistance, you're good.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

But then he wouldn't get his sword!

I wonder if the next star on the LP will be shown taking the plunge.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aside from naturally poisoning or bleeding weapons, the big thing is going to be attack styles, and those you more need to actually feel and use to really know if you'll like them or not.

basically: screw stats, bet on style.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

with the Tomb though, you're generally better equipped to deal with its challenges. Blighttown is set up as the next logical destination, and you will be much less prepared for it.

Unless I'm forgetting and the light items were easily missed.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeeToo posted:

This LP inspired me to play Dark Souls, which I bought some time ago but which my last laptop couldn't handle (current one can). It's a little slower going than you make it look!

My most embarassing/annoying death was dying to those 3 hollows just before Andre.

The real Dark Souls starts here.

LPers make this game look a lot easier than it really is.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ZeeToo posted:

My most embarrassing death so far was probably about the 20th to the Taurus Demon. :saddowns: Or else the one right after I beat him, where I took a wrong turn and got killed before I could reach a bonfire and spend those souls. Or maybe the one after that, where I died before I could retrieve said souls.

I really need to reach Andre. :v:

You will lose a lot of souls to that.

And cry. bitterly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RickVoid posted:

I've only missed my soul sign once this playthrough, to Capra. It was only 4000 some-odd souls... and like six liquid humanity.

This game doesn't teach you a whole lot of things. One of the most important you have to learn for yourself is when to put down the controller and walk away.

Hint: it's 5 minutes before you did.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

So satisfying. You've played for hours to progress. To open a 30 second elevator ride.

'These guys are not that dangerous' *goes down to low health*

I also like how you can see the 2nd living gargoyle if you're paying attention. (one is pink, the other is stone grey)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 26, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Wayne posted:

No, I think you're on to something. Patches is the troll, Petrus is two-faced, Lautrec does to Firekeepers what most speed-runners do, etc. Siegmeyer is absolutely the guy who bashes his head against a stage and over and over until finally summoning someone to get him through it, until in the end he gets to return the favor.

It was kind of funny watching Vicas plink away for 15 damage a hit on the stone knights, while on the blind LP here Tempest casually one-shots them with a club. I've played a lot of Dark Souls, and I never realized just how stark damage type Pokemoning could be (I mean, besides things like trying to use a slashing weapon on the armored boar). For what it's worth, I think mathematically if you're hacking away at an enemy, you get the most damage-per-stamina with 2-handed R1s.

And yeah, if the last hit on an enemy with a body part you can break off kills it, you don't get it. :( I don't know why it works that way, anyone else who's done a "3 Kings" run knows the game can track enemy model HP separately from the total boss health bar; but it is what it is. I tend to suicide or Homeward out if I miss the tail and/or don't get a gargoyle helmet after killing the first one, gotta have my antler hat. :3:

The tail is also very nice for visiting Blight Town. Delicious poison resist. Though it does take some stats to wield.

I was sorta wondering why Vicas was grinding through it with a sword when a reinforced club from the Undead Merchant can pretty much 2-hit them. And doesn't require that much strength. I don't recall any other enemy in the game having such a marked resist/vulnerability. Except maybe bone wheels. But eventually you can get two wheels and have a wheely good time.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Golbez posted:

Is there any lore explanation for why the Capra Demon is so small? The other boss demons we've met so far are huge (Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon) and I think that continues on for the rest, so it makes me wonder if it's notable that Capra Demon is tiny compared to the others.

Well, if he was bigger he wouldn't be comfortable in his bossroom.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mazed posted:

So, Vince of Thorolund illustrates one of the biggest issues I've got with the art direction in Souls games.

Everybody's heads are just so very tiny!!

Granted, he's wearing fat armor, but that's why he emphasizes it especially.

To lay it out: In real life, most people are about 5-6 head-lengths tall. In fantasy art, comic books, etc., people tend to be drawn around 7-8 heads tall to emphasize a "heroic" physique, unless they're supposed to be unusually short or huge, with head-lengths adjusted to suit.

Dark Souls characters are roughly 10 heads tall. Unless, of course, you use the "Top Heavy" physique option, which puts them closer to the 7-8 head range, and which, because I cannot un-see any of this, is the only option I can ever bring myself to use. The Tiny Head option, by extension, is the true comedy choice.

The most likely reason that they went with this is that, firstly, most of the time you're only seeing your character from the back and, secondly, you're likely to be going fully armored, helm included, and the additional size added by the helm gives the appearance of the "heroic" physique that audiences are used to seeing.

In any playthrough of Dark Souls I've watched, nobody has ever once commented upon this, but there you go. :psyduck: Now you know, and can't un-see it either.

There is also the Onion Bro helm to give your character some more 'human' proportions.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In honour of the Depths: Always more rats.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

So, I totally missed this myself when I first played Dark Souls. Petrus is evil and straight-up abandoned the princess in the catacombs, huh?

...I am curious as to the motive, but in this land where talking people are rare in itself, I guess betrayal comes easy.

Pyromancy is so great, though. You get a few more utility spells and a good damage spell, you don't have to level up any stats to make it more effective, and it works on most things. It's like a regenerating pile of firebombs in your pocket! (Bit annoyed that in DS2, you needed "fire seeds" to upgrade your flame. I mean, come on!)

It's essentially "primal magic," right? As opposed to divine miracles or arcane spells, it's you making flame out of the spark of life itself. Maybe that's why it's seen as "vulgar" magic; it's so primitive only guys who hang out in the swamp use it.

I guess you never finished Petrus's quest line then? Even if you miss this bit, later events will not provide anything to paint him as 'good'

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Curses are cool as hell, but also literally the worst

I played after the purge stones were implimented. And got it at this sort of level. It was the worst.I don't remember any New Londo related message. Not that I knew where New Londo WAS . Given how crippling Curse is early on, it is way harsher than they intended, I think. Compared with say poison, or bleed.

double nine posted:

That depends on the weapon you're using. If a weapon doesn't have a downward swing then, well ....

Try jumping? (that is a beautiful gif)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

KozmoNaut posted:

The latter.

Especially if you played in the pre-patch days where purging stones were borderline impossible to come by, and curses could stack, halving your max health every time :unsmigghh:

Oh god. The real dark Souls starts here.

Especially since early on the 4k souls to remove a curse are also super valuable, so you kinda want to run in to get your souls back so you can afford a curse remove...
Things could go real bad real fast

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lprsti99 posted:

Gaping Dragon is definitely one of my favorite boss designs. Like an unholy fusion of a komodo dragon, an ant, and a Vagina Dentata.

It is my favourite boss reveal of the game.

And eh, Blight Town isn't that bad without the spider shield. I played when Geop was doing his LP and completely forgot about it. Blocking and backing off in Blight town are super important.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Siivola posted:

But see, the player character seeing all the NPCs doesn't mean they're all... There, y'know? For each other, I mean. Solaire spells it out that he and you might inhabit different worlds. Spoopy. :v: (On the other hand, the grumpy man at arms stops to complain about the sorcerer's apprentice, who talked his ear off about old Big Hat before wandering off.)

Chalk me up for another who you inspired to give this game another try. I played this back in the GFWL days up to the Depths, but then lost my will to push on. Getting cursed is some bullshit, I tell ya. It's pretty interesting to play a bit and then come back to watch how you handled the situation.

That said, Solaire isn't in DS2, and I don't 100% recall anyone spelling co-op out in the same fashion there.
Characters definitely interact with each other in DS1 at Firelink though. Firelink 2.0, not so much.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Morroque posted:

I've played some range/archer characters before, and Blighttown is deceptive on range. Every enemy in each area is always "active" but not always "on." If the enemy is in another "area" that the player can't see at that moment, then the game doesn't load their model, even though they are still there and will aggro just fine. Problem is, if their model isn't there, then that means there is no collision for them. So if you are playing as sniper and want to try taking out some of the dart shooters from afar, even if you know where they are positioned, you can't hit them if you can't "see" them. This is particularly irksome when they are still shooting you with darts all the while your own arrows just pass right through them.

Blighttown is the only area in the game that did that. I guess it must've been some workaround they tried to cut down on lag during development.

That is part of the reason that it is so laggy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

the crossbow, or knives are better for dealing with the mosquitoes, that may have been what Try Ranged Battle was referring to.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also there are often signs down to summon peeps for a duel in that arena. Since it's out of the way and all.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Andre the Hub Area

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I had Sigmeyer break and vanish in my game :(

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Golbez posted:

When I had a bunch of souls on a bloodstain, every action I took was centered on getting them back.

Losing a good retrieval because you died twice is an excellent example of "once you've lost everything, you can do anything."

The real :darksouls: starts here.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Koushirou posted:

Augh, I was using the Fire keeper bonfire since I had it fully kindled and just going through the front door. And I killed every giant on the way since I thought they would attack Solaire after summoning him. And I guess the thought has actually never occurred to me to just walk through a fog door even if there's stuff still up around it. Guess I just kind of assumed it wouldn't let you for some reason.

Be warned - they can still hit you with swords on the far side of the fog door.

Even if they cannot pass through it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vicas posted:

I really do like it. I feel like the lava field is pretty much the perfect subtle "you know, maybe I should just go find Sen's" push to the player

Also sorry Laurentius, I totally forgot Covenant spells can make this happen :(

Oh god, what did you doooooo. D:
:darksouls:

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 24, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was wondering if that Necromancer was going to just kill you through your shield, since the Eagle shield is many things, but is not fireproof.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fortress of a thousand Sneeple.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Grizlor posted:

I've been playing dark souls 2 and holy poo poo, I think I'd rather do blight town twice than do the gutter again. I lit all the sconces and the dark spirit bugged out on me and I couldn't get the sweet looking witch gear :negative:

Also I realize kind of the whole point of the area is to light the torches but some of the ladders are really hard to see. I spent like half an hour running around with no clue where to go until I realized there was a ladder behind a dog dude I killed.

To add something to the topic, Sen's Fortress is really great but does kinda pull a dick move with the bonfire. The entire zone you're like "great, what next" after all the spikes, axes, rolling balls, and then finally giant explosions :supaburn:

I loved lighting all the torches in DS2: literally the best feature in the game.

I even went back to a few spots to light them once I had some idea what I was doing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Golbez posted:

You not immediately Homeward Boning after getting your souls back the first AND second time made me irrationally angry.

This is a 100% LP
this includes 100% bad decisions you can make in gameplay. Besides which he was looking for a cool thing in Titanite Demon Swamp.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Depends how fast you can run. When repeating the run up I just accept the boulder risk.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

IronSaber posted:

Good ol' Big Hat Logan.

The greatest hat in all the land.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My confusion about anor londo is always whether it was strictly the royal palace or a greater town, because if it's a town gwynn seems like an rear end in a top hat for leaving people in the shittier parts of lordran.

Noble does lovely thing to the Peasantry. Film at 11.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Apparently those giant bows were meant to slay dragons. Which makes sense, with the dragoncide backstory, but it's pure overkill for a poor little Chosen Undead like us.

The best kind of kill is overkill.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Can you put other Fire Keeper Souls in Anastasia?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Vicas posted:

They have a neat design and they really aren't even dogs but hoooo buddy they are a pain in my bootyhole to fight. This whole area just feels kinda.... subpar, honestly. They had an idea they were going for but it kind of never really feels like it comes together, especially when every run from the bonfire becomes an annoying slog where you're dodging as many fights as possible

They just want to play and be your skeletal dog pals

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Speedball posted:

Part of me wishes the Painted World had had some sort of weird filter over it that made everything look like brushstrokes, but that might have been a bit much extra programming work to ask for an optional area.

It is still a really nice area. As much fun as the interconnected areas are, Painted World is REALLY nice.
Also. Harpies. The crow women are harpies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Trynant posted:

I feel bad that there was no discussion or mention that Fromsoft for real referenced an old World of Warcraft meme with Paladin Leeroy.

If only tyhere were dragons around for him to rush into...

• Locked thread