Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Andre the Blacksmith is stated by Miyazaki to be the firstborn. He was also going to have a bigger role, but another character took his place.

Otsuka: Earlier we were talking about Crossbreed Priscilla, but are there any other characters whose role changed dramatically as development progressed?

Miyazaki: Oh there are many, for example Andre of Astora. Originally he played a far more important role in the story.

Satake: Andre is no longer related to Gwyn is he?

Miyazaki: Yes, we took that out. He was originally a descendant of Gwin whose task it was to protect a door within the fire link shrine. In the end he was going to push aside the goddess statue to let you progress, but as development progressed he became just a simple blacksmith. Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Two handing your weapon functionally adds a 50% bonus to your strength, so it takes 11 strength to two hand the bastard sword which has a requirement of 16, 12 to wield the crescent axe that has a requirement of 18, etc. That strength bonus is also why two handed attacks do more damage for strength weapons compared to dex weapons, it's just a straight stat boost.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Something that influenced Miyazaki's vision for Dark Souls was playing games that hadn't been translated into Japanese and trying to piece together a story where nothing was described explicitly. So, Dark Souls lore always hints at something intriguing, but the important details are never there, forcing the player to speculate. As such, everyone is going to have a different understanding of the backstory of Dark Souls and I like to hear how people interpreted the same information differently than I did. I always got the impression that the corpse wearing the Ring of the Sun's Firstborn was Gwyn's eldest child, but Solaire is a cool idea too.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

The bastard sword, and other greatswords, have horizontal sweeps on the R2 button when two-handed, which does a lot for their utility. Incidentally, I noticed you still haven't picked up my favorite weapon, the claymore, which has the same moveset as the bastard sword plus a couple thrusting attacks. Are you waiting until you actually fight hellkite drake to pick it up? You can bait him into flying away and letting you grab those items and rest at that bonfire in a way that feels intended to me.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

Grizlor posted:

Please wear the sack for at least several videos (and put it on for cutscenes your character shows up in) because it is the best hat (Yes, even better than The one from the invader in The Painted World)

The best hat is the one you get for killing Vamos. Look at it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread