Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Really looking forward to this. Dark Souls may be one of my favorite games ever, and I love crashing streams on twitch and hitbox to detail some of the fantastic details the game does with item placement, enemy placement, and the environment to tell a story without even touching that much on item descriptions. The implied stories that are neat to infer just litter this game, I could fill a book with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

By the way, you never showed and read the description of the Estus Flask. It's kind of important.

Claverjoe posted:

What is "Giant Dad"?

Giant Dad is a specific build notorious in PVP. It uses the Giant's Armor, the Mask of the Father, and the Zweihander. These are minmaxy items that let you flatten most PVE encounters while taking minimal damage and, importantly, Poise Damage. Poise determines whether you can be interrupted mid-attack, while the Zweihander has long wind-ups for its swings. The mask boosts stamina regen.

So, these items compounded with the Grass Crest Shield, the cloranthy ring, and a green blossom, all stamina-regen-boosting items, make you very quick on attacking repeatedly. You become Giant Dad, as the meme of builds goes. It lets you attack through your opponents' builds, stagger them, then time your swings to stun lock them until they died. It was very commonplace for a long time in PVP because it was so effective, and even after balancing patches, still sees use because it is effective in shutting down people who aren't prepared to counter specifically high poise attacks which can ignore their attempts to stagger you.

bawk fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 30, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yessss, I just finished the first three and was hoping to catch the fourth soon.

double nine posted:

I like this but think it would work better with 2 people. On condition that all know that both go in with the goal of discussing level & game design it could be fun and interesting.

I agree with this, as there are a fair number of LPers who would love to gush over this kind of stuff. I know AngryMog and Wayne are currently doing a DS2 LP of equal chillness and informative quality, and both have done design/story-specific streams in the past as well. Wayne is one person I would stream crash on item placement and inferred story a bunch, as well.

bawk fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 30, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Another note: the morning star is really bad for skeletons. It outright says it does Thrust damage. So don't do that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Honestly, to agree with the above poster, this is the De Facto DS LP. This hits the notes the game wants to hit outside of the intended player experience, while not going outside of what a player would do.

If you do include other commentators, I'd recommend keeping them out until at least after the lord vessel, if not until after you hit NG+. A game done at that pace with revisits to hit the stuff you would never see at the "natural" pace of the game would wrap this entire game up in a bow. Most of the Master Key stuff can be done through simple sequence breaking, and it'd give breathing room to fill in any gaps you might leave.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

DS1 Caestus does more poise damage in the left hand than right hand, meaning you can jab with the left for damage and break enemy guards while you chain R1s during their staggered animation. A buffed R1 caestus with decent stat scaling MELTS enemy HP off with L1-Stagger-R1 spam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IIRC the first tree will actually move to block the entrance. So when you come back, you wander around looking for where you came in, don't find the entrance, find a path that wasn't there before, and are all but intended to find the Wolf Ring and jump back to the starting area.

Instead, most people seem to kill the Butterfly after sprinting past all the stone guardians and treemen, realize they're on low estus and health, don't want to walk back to the bonfire, and instead they just homeward bone out.

• Locked thread