Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I like this but think it would work better with 2 people. On condition that all know that both go in with the goal of discussing level & game design it could be fun and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Personally I never got the hang of miracles so I'd like some insight into that.... I think more than 1 character will be necessary Vicas

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm wondering if the drake dragon fight works as FROM intended. It's not very interesting of a fight if you get one-shot by a foe and the environmental guards make me think you should be able to use those but then it launches into a vertical attack that completely nullifies any defenses you may have had (and then does it again while you're stunlocked if you managed to survive).

Not a fan of the drake. OTOH the game clearly intends for you to go under the bridge for the first time through what with the locked gate and the hollows & rats positioned just right for ambushing a player coming from the undead burg bonfire so IDK.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 6, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maybe they're keeping an eye on the hydra? It being dragon-related (since it gives dragon scales) and/or being a thing from ye olden times...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

If you're ever short on artwork for updates, here's some:

http://zedotagger.deviantart.com/gallery/

Have a Sunlight altar:

my favorite of his is his tomb of the giants one but since we're not there yet I'll just link it instead of posting it:

http://zedotagger.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Souls-Tomb-of-the-Giants-568281255

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Narahari posted:

Finally got to Queelag, and that fight is particularly brutal for me. I'm just using the integrated graphics card on this computer, so any flame effect (other than torches) that appears in game glitches out as an upside-down mirror effect. Not very helpful in avoiding her one shot spell, I must say. Far too much visual noise to learn the tells quickly.

The games hit detection is a little weird, too. I lost the crystal lizard in the forest even though I charged right at it and had it targeted because all my attacks whiffed. From definitely cleared up a lot of the little polish details of their design quite a bit by the time bloodborne rolled around.

That depends on the weapon you're using. If a weapon doesn't have a downward swing then, well ....

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

we don't talk about ravenholm.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

Just make sure you find something to replace it soon, the drake sword is really good right up until it's not anymore, and then it's practically useless, and the point where it's useless isn't that far into the game

I've always heard this but I have to wonder - does this still hold true for a +5 draks sword? I've never tried it but if one was dedicated enough they could get it early by farming the lightning drake bastards.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TimNeilson posted:

IIRC the upgrade cost doesn't increase, but there's only like 10 scales to be found in the game unless you want to farm drakes for them, which is a giant pain in the butt. So yeah, like someone else said, you could do that but it's really not worth it compared to the plethora of other options you get at basically every point in the game.

E: where even are all the dragon scales? The only ones I can think of that are guaranteed at the moment are the two hydras and the one in the blighttown arena. And maybe one in the duke's archives? Not sure about that though.

Double edit: oh and there's the two undead dragons, I forgot about them

You get one for trading an egg Vermifuge with snuggly. Also, there's a bunch near the 2nd hydra lying on the beach. It's like searching for seashells only more grimdark.

Also I don't particularly care for the drake sword, I just wondered how universally uninteresting it is. Though I have to wonder if it's feasible as an anti-twink strategy - dress up in newbie attire complete with drake sword and proceed to whip their rear end with a +5. Sadly it appears to not be worth the effort.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

7000 souls is nothing, I wouldn't worry about it. That said, dark souls is definitively a game where if it gets under your skin, take a break or you'll start hating the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Golbez posted:

Speaking of feeding him: It seems generally useless, except for souls. No matter the size of the soul you feed him, you get the same number of souls, 500. So if you feed him the smallest ones, worth 200 and 400 souls, you actually get a profit.

Also, there's some interesting storytelling in what items get more souls, but I'll leave that to our sherpa. :)

Except for a certain boss soul (two, actually) who he'll pay a staggering 1 soul for. I don't think he likes those people.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ah shiny shiny

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The dog skeletons are great with a high-poise damage weapon - like a really big mace.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How's Nito involved with the occult?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Here's the thing: we never figure out the origins or cause of the Undead Curse in any of the three games and I have a theory that Nito caused it or spread it in order to drive undead to Lordran so they can kindle again. This doesn't seem to be supported by much of anything except that the curse has to have some origin and it would make Nito into an actor instead of just the next boss ont the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it looks like a brighter huntsman's copse. :colbert:

Seriously though, the only piece of pissant archers were sitting on top of the white ember tomb and next to the drat ladder? and by the look of things you can jump from the top of the ladder to the archer?! Goddamned if I'd known that I'd have gone for some revenge

• Locked thread