Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Paracelsus posted:

I have a dumb personal theory that some of the NPCs the player encounters are meant to reflect player archetypes.

No, I think you're on to something. Patches is the troll, Petrus is two-faced, Lautrec does to Firekeepers what most speed-runners do, etc. Siegmeyer is absolutely the guy who bashes his head against a stage and over and over until finally summoning someone to get him through it, until in the end he gets to return the favor.

It was kind of funny watching Vicas plink away for 15 damage a hit on the stone knights, while on the blind LP here Tempest casually one-shots them with a club. I've played a lot of Dark Souls, and I never realized just how stark damage type Pokemoning could be (I mean, besides things like trying to use a slashing weapon on the armored boar). For what it's worth, I think mathematically if you're hacking away at an enemy, you get the most damage-per-stamina with 2-handed R1s.

And yeah, if the last hit on an enemy with a body part you can break off kills it, you don't get it. :( I don't know why it works that way, anyone else who's done a "3 Kings" run knows the game can track enemy model HP separately from the total boss health bar; but it is what it is. I tend to suicide or Homeward out if I miss the tail and/or don't get a gargoyle helmet after killing the first one, gotta have my antler hat. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Each +1 on the non-scaling dragon weapons is a +10% increase (so the base 200 becomes 220), so it caps at 300 AR. That's definitely better, but still less than the 400-500 you could get with a good weapon that scales well with your stats, and it's still slow and can't be buffed.

Thing is, though, the Drake Sword isn't "useless" for the rest of the game, it's useless for Sen's Fortress, because the mooks there have very high physical defense. It starts evening back out, and very few bosses are as tough as those guys (even the last boss has slightly less regular damage defense than they do). Because the stat requirements are low and you don't need them for scaling, it's a decent choice for a mage who runs into enemies that are resistant to his magic-scaling split weapons he might be using instead; or somebody packing on the Vit/End and plans to outlast everything, or whatnot. It's never the best choice of weapon, but I wouldn't call it useless.

And as far as the farming plan goes, you'll probably want something with a bit more punch to actually get those dragon scales. :v:

• Locked thread