Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I am absolutely loving this. Not many games warrant this kind of deep analysis, and this is definitely one that does. A question, though: You have neither parried, nor mentioned parrying, once. Are you saving that? Because the black knight in Undead Burg was what caused me to learn how to parry, which became infinitely useful.

This has made me want to play again, but only after I buy a controller for my PC. Playing with the keyboard was okay, but I never, ever got the hang of backstabbing, the movement was just too rough to manage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm looking forward to how you treat the second half of the game. I felt it was weaker than the first half, much more linear and with much less to take in and absorb. However, I think this is also an unfortunate consequence of having to pay so much time in the first half. (I'm counting second half as everything past Anor Londo and its branched areas - most areas before and including that are great)

For example, the area around the bonfire in Undead Burg. I'm going to assume that we all spent the most time there out of any bonfire, because it was all new to us. We were still getting a feel for the mechanics of the game, when to retreat, when to advance, etc. Going out, getting a few souls, exploring the area, returning to safety. I know that part of the game perfectly, like the back of my hand.

So by the time we get deep into the third act of the game, we aren't as unsure anymore. We know what we're doing. Even in unfamiliar areas, we know the mechanics well enough to be able to forge forward and crush - or at least have a reasonable expectation of crushing - anything in our path, short of bosses.

And then there's the linearity. Look at just the areas the LP has been through already - Undead Burg links to Undead Parish, Undead Parish links to Darkroot, Darkroot links to Undead Burg, it's all extremely integrated and masterfully built. There are multiple ways in and out of all of these areas. But the third act? There are two parts which have two large areas with no branching and are very linear. You go forward, you finish it, you Homeward Bone, and that's it. Never look in that direction again. Yet with Undead Burg/Parish? For various reasons I was heading back there well into the second act, either to take out previously too-powerful beings (like our friend Havel) or simply to pass through to other areas.

Or maybe I'm alone in this idea of it and need to replay once I get a controller. :shobon:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Is there any lore explanation for why the Capra Demon is so small? The other boss demons we've met so far are huge (Asylum Demon and Taurus Demon) and I think that continues on for the rest, so it makes me wonder if it's notable that Capra Demon is tiny compared to the others.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Finally grabbed a controller and am running through this again on a clean character. The combination of knowing the game, plus having a sane control method, makes me feel like a tiny Lordran god. I now see the appeal behind light, highly mobile builds, since movement is so much easier, as opposed to my (still preferred) tank-with-black-knight-sword build.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

chaos rhames posted:

I think only pops up on non-respawning enemies, so it's probably what happens when something is utterly ended.

Enemies that disappear into rippling air effects instead of leaving a body:
* The big brute guys in upper Blighttown
* Lots of later Silver/Black Knights
* Giant walking crystal guys I think we saw them outside Havel's door but I'm not 100% sure

It does seem to be mostly big characters, but it's not all the big characters. For example, the stone armor guys in Deeproot will happily ragdoll around. They might be at the upper end of allowable size, though.

And on the flip side: I think the dart guys leave a corpse, so they are one of the few/only enemies that leave a corpse but never come back.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Paracelsus posted:

Something similar has been done.

Edit: Shows a popular PvP zone we haven't seen yet.

How do they have so many souls? Even if you spammed the dupe trick for days straight you wouldn't get that. Are there cheats that just directly give you a poo poo ton of souls? And how can someone who is tired of grinding poo poo and has played through a bunch already partake in such bounty?

And on a similar note: The riposte animation for that weapon is amazing. But it brings up a question - is the riposte damage the same for all weapons? I'm thinking, since riposte has nothing to do with weapon speed or anything, that it should be, right? Or can I equip a super slow, heavy weapon and rely on parrying to kill parryable dudes, and do it in fewer parries than with my normal, still-super-mobile-while-using-it weapon?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
When I had a bunch of souls on a bloodstain, every action I took was centered on getting them back.

Losing a good retrieval because you died twice is an excellent example of "once you've lost everything, you can do anything."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I enjoy this game about a mute protagonist wandering around a dead world with only the barest and opaque story, crippling difficulty, random merchants sitting around in random places without any human needs, a dragon named Seath, and a draw distance of a few feet ahead.

Oh wait, that last bit makes it King's Field 2, not Dark Souls. It is absolutely astonishing how true From Software has remained to themselves over the years. It really makes me want to go back and replay KF2 as well as the other KF games. They've really just been making the same game for 20 years, perfecting it a little more each time.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Laurentius might be my favorite character, at least in terms of the acting. He is just so... earnest. He is SO happy to have someone to share pyromancy with, so enthusiastic. And when he gives you the pyromancy, a piece of himself, he really sounds solemn and respectful. And finally, when he sees the fancy new pyromancy you have... you can really hear the shock and awe in his voice.

However, we've now come to the only major story fork in the game. (darkening Anor Londo might count as the other but is very much smaller in its scope) Howabouts will you be showing us Kaathe? New game? Bonus content afterwards? I look forward to a good discussion on which one is right.

[also how much should we spoiler things in this thread which is clearly meant for people familiar with the game?]

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Speaking of feeding him: It seems generally useless, except for souls. No matter the size of the soul you feed him, you get the same number of souls, 500. So if you feed him the smallest ones, worth 200 and 400 souls, you actually get a profit.

Also, there's some interesting storytelling in what items get more souls, but I'll leave that to our sherpa. :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
But now you have to make your way back up the Catacombs. And I'm pretty sure I've never, ever had to do that, so... this will be interesting.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Vicas posted:

Eyyy I recorded a new session

31 - Sneeple!

Bit of a long one today because I wanted to conclude our long national swamp-snake-demon nightmare

You not immediately Homeward Boning after getting your souls back the first AND second time made me irrationally angry.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Is it ever explained in game why the door to Anor Londo is blocked? And why do the gargoyles help you up there? Are they operating under orders from someone else?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
What confuses me is that there's the dual-sized things for stairs and the gates, but then the hallway and rooms you enter at the end of the clip are all human-scale. Is this a part of the building/castle/whatever it is that's just for humans?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Really the only thing that bugs me about it is that the place you go in is a balcony so it's kind of odd that there's a bonfire that just happens to be in the room next to it. So far in the game bonfires tend to be placed as though they're somewhat central to the areas they're in. This one's just off in a janitor's closet or something. Just a tad gamey.

On the other hand, considering how ransacked the place looks, I can imagine some hobos setting up a bonfire in a room in there.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Crazy Achmed posted:

drat, I just bought the game on Steam - probably won't begin it for a while, though, gotta finish sotfs first. Will using the connectivity mod get you banned, though?

No, it's safe. It's pretty much required at this point, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I think some time could be spent looking at the artwork in those bedrooms, particularly the one with the giant knight standing next to, presumably, a human-sized figure. Who is that? I mean, most of the other art makes sense - The busty woman is someone we saw a statue of, there's art of Anor Londo, and some other presumed family members, but this one seems to stand out to me as neither Anor Londo nor being anyone specific.

• Locked thread