Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thwomp posted:

Verizon FIOS

Consider yourself lucky if you live in an area serviced by FIOS. Verizon isn't expanding the network any further due to the aforementioned costs of building the network. You have access to 500Mbps service but it's still pretty expensive.

Switched from Comcast to Verizon FIOS late last year, as soon as they hooked up my apartment, and couldn't be more pleased with it. Went from paying $106/mo (yeah) for 50/10 to $35/mo for 30/30 which honestly feels every bit as fast. gently caress Comcast, those greedy pricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thwomp posted:

I've always had great service.

My Comcast service was flawless. I was getting what I paid for and I think I remember only one instance of downtime.

$106 a loving month, though.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thwomp posted:

Yeah I'm paying only $40 a month for 50Mbps for Internet only (promo rate). It's a great price but I do have to call every six months to get it renewed.

How'd you manage that? When I called and complained they pretty much said "lol don't like it? go gently caress yourself dweeb"

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

td4guy posted:

You act like you're calling to cancel your service and then they transfer you to the retentions department and offer you a deal.

That's what I did. I basically just got "Oh, sorry to see you go, I can cancel your service from here, sir!"

Maybe I just got the guy who was wise to that bullshit.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Internet speeds were part of the reason I left Dallas.

This is not a joke

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Man :( I have to move, and the new apartment we're going to has Frontier, but not FIOS, so I can't move my service. Even if I downgraded, I'd only be getting 7mbps, and LMAO, I live in loving 2016

Comcast has pretty good service there, though, and as much as I hate it it looks like I gotta go back until Frontier gets around to wiring up the new place (which the guy said they might soon because they're expanding in this area, but no promises). Any chance I could get Frontier to waive my ETFs since I'm moving to an area that's out of service?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

life is killing me posted:

How are you out of their service area if your new apartment complex has Frontier though?

Because they have Frontier, but not Frontier FIOS. Which is really weird but that's what the guy told me. I guess that complex just hasn't been upgraded for FIOS yet, but he said that it might happen soon-ish.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
:(

At least we're only here for a year, which is coincidentally exactly how long Comcast's price guarantee lasts.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

life is killing me posted:

The only problem with them really is that it's cable (AFAIK) and if a bunch of people in your new apartment complex have it, it'll slow down. But I'd bet their cable can offer faster than 7mbps.

Considering that we'll be getting their 75mbps plan, I'd say so.

I think I haven't not been a Comcast customer long enough to get their signup bonus (has to be a year I think?) but clever workaround: while I have been a previous Comcast customer, my wife has not. :buddy:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Welp, we moved, and are on Comcast again. Actually went to the local Xfinity store (Yep, we have one of those here in Seattle) and the whole process was nothing but pleasant and smooth with no needless upselling except for the dude offering us a higher speed for a TWO year price agreement for the same price, which we decided to jump on. $50/mo for 150mbps and works like a dream. I actually missed the Xfinity TV service, which is like Netflix except actually good. Bought my own router modem, got Best Buy to price match Amazon for like $50 off a Netgear N600.

Am... am I a satisfied Comcast customer? what happened :ohdear:

Actually, I seem to remember reading something about Comcast 'cleaning up' their customer service and image; maybe it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Blackchamber posted:

I dont think anyone was saying comcast was horrible at the start. Its the middle and the drawn out end that people have a problem with. A bit like going in for a colonoscopy and thinking 'I dont see why people dont enjoy this, the waiting room staff and their magazines are so nice!'.

Well, this is our second time on Comcast, and I seem to remember back three years ago it being a lot more of a pain in the rear end to even get the thing set up and working. And I seem to remember the lady constantly trying to upsell us on home security and TV packages (for the TV we don't have) and having to tell her, no, we just want the goddamn internet, like five times. This time it was just "hey, we want internet" "k, here's internet"

It was nice.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 12, 2016

• Locked thread