Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also worth mentioning that Hughesnet has data limits as low as 5gb/month during regular hours and 50 for off-time hours. They used to do a 200mb daily cap, but I assume people kept hitting it rather easily. I used to at least, when I committed the high crime of watching youtube for an hour. Atrocious pings are no joke either, I averaged 600-800ms. Unless you live in the literal woods, there's usually DSL available. I switched as soon as AT&T came to our area. <100 ms ping, x4 speed, half the price, free installation.

Comcast has been utter garbage in my experience (surprise surprise) and whenever I have to deal with them at my parent's house I have to resort to cancellation threats. I never did figure out why our outage was going on. They had two no-shows (which I negotiated to be free of services charges because they wanted me to pay per visit) and would pingpong me around to different departments. It's sucky because I imagine the outsourced tech support people hate their jobs, I hate their service, and its a crappy situation all around.

Right now im on Suddenlink in the pacific northwest. Despite my initial hesitation, they've been my favorite ISP so far. They gave us a free speed upgrade a while ago across the county, from 50mbps to 75. I've had about 3 hour-long outages in the 8 months I've had them. Luckily they're always resolved themselves. Happy camper with them so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Thwomp posted:

So this is something that has always caused that weird itch in my brain to go off.

I read somewhere on this site that Comcast is broken up into multiple zones across the US, managed by different branches/divisions/whatever. Seems to make since, as its a monumental company spread across a pretty large country. But it may explain why service is horrendous in some areas and spectacular in others.

• Locked thread