Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/cbs-paramount-sue-crowdfunded-star-trek-filmmakers-for-copyright-infringement/

quote:

On Tuesday, lawyers representing CBS and Paramount Studios sued Axanar Productions, a company formed by a group of fans attempting to make professional-quality Star Trek fan-fiction movies, for copyright infringement.

"The Axanar Works are intended to be professional quality productions that, by Defendants’ own admission, unabashedly take Paramount’s and CBS’s intellectual property and aim to 'look and feel like a true Star Trek movie,’” the complaint reads (PDF).

Axanar Productions released a short 20-minute film called Prelude to Axanar in 2014, in which retired Starfleet leaders talk about their experiences in the Four Years War, a war between the Federation and the Klingons that occurred in the Star Trek universe before The Original Series began. The feature-length Axanar is scheduled to premier in 2016 and follows the story of Captain Kirk's hero, Garth of Izar. Both productions were funded on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, raising more than $1.1 million from fans.

Star Trek spinoff films have been made by amateurs for decades, and CBS and Paramount have largely encouraged the enthusiasm for the universe. But the Axanar films seem to have tread too close to the corporations’ own production standards.

In the complaint, CBS and Paramount noted that they have “plans to release a new Star Trek motion picture in 2016 (Star Trek Beyond), and a new Star Trek television series in January 2017."

Lawyers for CBS and Paramount also accused Axanar’s writer and producer, Alec Peters, as well as 20 unnamed defendants, of "using innumerable copyrighted elements of Star Trek, including its settings, characters, species, and themes.”

Axanar Productions has told investors that the film would be made by filmmaking professionals, "many of whom have worked on Star Trek itself,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. In August, Peters, who has few prior producing or writing credits, told The Wrap that he met with CBS, and the network told him he was not allowed to make money off the project. Still, CBS told The Wrap at the time that the network "has not authorized, sanctioned or licensed this project in any way, and this has been communicated to those involved."

"We continue to object to professional commercial ventures trading off our property rights and are considering further options to protect these rights,” CBS added at the time.

“CBS has a long history of accepting fan films,” Peters said in August. “I think Axanar has become so popular that CBS realizes that we’re just making their brand that much better.” On Axanar Production's site, an FAQ notes that "Axanar is an independent project that uses the intellectual property of CBS under the provision that Axanar is totally non-commercial. That means we can never charge for anything featuring their marks or intellectual property and we will never sell the movie, DVD/Blu-ray copies, T-shirts, or anything which uses CBS owned marks or intellectual property."

Instead of making money off the project, the fledgling production company says it wants to "make something so spectacular that it serves as a resume and calling card for our work in the industry."

A spokesperson for Axanar Productions told Ars that it is "in the process of reviewing the complaint now” and would comment after speaking with the company’s lawyers. Ars will update this story if we receive a response.

Beyond the accusation of copyright infringement, CBS and Paramount are asking for for damages "of up to $150,000 for each separate Star Trek Copyrighted Work infringed" from Prelude to Axanar as well as injunctive relief to stop 2016's Axanar from being produced and distributed.

”Prelude to Axanar is directly and unabashedly intended to be a derivative work of Star Trek, or a Star Trek work, and uses numerous copyrighted elements from the Star Trek works,” the complaint contends.

CBS and Paramount also accuse Axanar Productions of copying the look and feel of the Star Trek franchise, "including the uniforms of the Starfleet, which are bright solid-colored sweaters with black pants,” as well as "the characters’ costumes, their pointy ears, and their distinctive hairstyle.”

"Star Trek is a treasured franchise in which CBS and Paramount continue to produce new original content for its large universe of fans," a CBS spokesperson told Ars. "The producers of Axanar are making a Star Trek picture they describe themselves as a fully professional independent Star Trek film. Their activity clearly violates our Star Trek copyrights which, of course, we will continue to vigorously protect."

I don't know what is worse: the fact that they are fans of that stinking pile of poo poo called Star Trek, or that they thought they could raise over a million dollars and make their own.

Someone needs to line up these pimpled uber nerds against a wall and shoot them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like the star trek fan film the IRS made with tax payer money.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

so you work from home op?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I never understood fan films. Why put all that time and money into a production you can never make money off or even own? You might as well make something original with the same resources so you can own the copyright.

Or they could have just changed the names of everything, and said "its a sci fi short that's a loving homage to sci fi that inspired like Star Trek and [other shows]" in the press release. If you do it the nudge nudge wink wink way, fair use kicks in.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I wonder how many children have been molested by the "cast" of that "film"

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

OldMemes posted:

I never understood fan films. Why put all that time and money into a production you can never make money off or even own? You might as well make something original with the same resources so you can own the copyright.

Or they could have just changed the names of everything, and said "its a sci fi short that's a loving homage to sci fi that inspired like Star Trek and [other shows]" in the press release. If you do it the nudge nudge wink wink way, fair use kicks in.

agreed. don't do anything you can't make money off of. that's how good art should be.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
MODS KNEW

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nooner posted:

I wonder how many children have been molested by the "cast" of that "film"

Klingons would never do something that dishonorable.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

remember that guy who had a stickied GBS thread for months asking if anyone has old star trek footage lying around? whatever happened to that guy

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

The thread title is funny because of the word autistic, thats the funny disease.

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

snakeandbake posted:

star trek is art

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

remember that guy who had a stickied GBS thread for months asking if anyone has old star trek footage lying around? whatever happened to that guy

i have some bad news

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TOOT BOOT posted:

i have some bad news

He never got the footage?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Blistex posted:

He never got the footage?

ask the mods. they know.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

a hole-y ghost posted:

The thread title is funny because of the word autistic, thats the funny disease.

not as funny as AIDS imo lol

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
This makes me pretty angry and I'm glad I have an outlet to vent about it (this thread). Thank you OP, you've given me a lot to think about

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxU6n4pAnrU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
jeez, leave them alone you corporate bullies. I loving hate copyrights, what a great concept lets allow corporations decide what art is allowed to be made. it's not state censorship if its for profit!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Nooner posted:

not as funny as AIDS imo lol
Actually, it's probably funnier. It's also more useful, because you can say that something is only for autistic spergs and people will know that it's not cool and not good.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rutibex posted:

jeez, leave them alone you corporate bullies. I loving hate copyrights, what a great concept lets allow corporations decide what art is allowed to be made. it's not state censorship if its for profit!

would it be that hard for these dorks to just make a SPACE DUDEZ movie instead? have pew pew lasers and warp speed and poo poo, just dont call it star trek

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They like barely have to change any of the material to make it their own film. Atleast there may be a new nerd space movie once they get over it that they hate fans and they make a new thing.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

would it be that hard for these dorks to just make a SPACE DUDEZ movie instead? have pew pew lasers and warp speed and poo poo, just dont call it star trek

There are a bunch of other fan made star trek films with highish production values. Some of them even have actors from the show reprising their rolls, so I guess they thought they were fine as long as they don't try to profit from it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

There are a bunch of other fan made star trek films with highish production values. Some of them even have actors from the show reprising their rolls, so I guess they thought they were fine as long as they don't try to profit from it.

yeah i guess paramount's argument is that this one is TOO GOOD lol. i guess the moral is if you wanna make a star trek film make sure it's kinda crappy

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

most of the time i guess that problem solves itself

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Parallax Scroll posted:

i guess the moral is if you wanna make a star trek film make sure it's kinda crappy

It's a bad idea to directly ape Paramounts forumla.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OldMemes posted:

the answer is in the thread title: because they are literally retarded

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

a hole-y ghost posted:

Is autism a disease?
Thought of it more as a disorder
or a plague upon mankind.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Microwaves Mom posted:

Is autism a disease?
Thought of it more as a disorder
or a plague upon mankind.

If it wasn't for autism the model train industry would have collapsed. They are job creators worthy of praise.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

OldMemes posted:

if they made it seem like an original work with elements of other sci fi stuff it prob wouldnt have gotten near the funding it did

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
they should just embrace it like game companies embrace mods to be quite honest

It's not like they're going to make a ton of money or some poo poo on it and it's just free advertising for Star Trek. All this ultimately does is create ill-will amongst the more 'hardcore' fanbase because no one else gives a poo poo and there's no money here.

IP laws are archaic.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If it wasn't for autism the model train industry would have collapsed. They are job creators worthy of praise.

Sorry, but I don't think model trains have a place in America's future.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
model trains are an excellent widget

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

they should just embrace it like game companies embrace mods to be quite honest

It's not like they're going to make a ton of money or some poo poo on it and it's just free advertising for Star Trek. All this ultimately does is create ill-will amongst the more 'hardcore' fanbase because no one else gives a poo poo and there's no money here.

IP laws are archaic.

But unlike game companies you dont have to buy the company's product to use the mod.

Now if they could find a way to include it in their products at no cost to them. THen yeah they'd be down with it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Microwaves Mom posted:

But unlike game companies you dont have to buy the company's product to use the mod.

Now if they could find a way to include it in their products at no cost to them. THen yeah they'd be down with it.

they could just claim merchandising rights and if in the off chance it ever became popular then boom they're selling the toys and the DVDs and the shirts etc. That's where the money is in these shows anyway.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Seems to me thread title should've been "Bunch of artistic nerds decide to make their own Star Trek movie, get sued". :shrug:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Kuato posted:

Seems to me thread title should've been "Bunch of artistic nerds decide to make their own Star Trek movie, get sued". :shrug:

there isn't anything artistic about copying someone else's intellectual property

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"protect the brand" like what it's gonna be so bad people will hate star trek?

bc voyager and enterprise already did that

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

enraged_camel posted:

there isn't anything artistic about copying someone else's intellectual property

My fan fictions are art, thank you very much

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
In this one Kirk marries his gay nephew. As in gay married. As in that as the captain of the ship he conducted the wedding of his (soon to be dead) gay nephew and boyfriend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmv9KMLHko

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

enraged_camel posted:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/12/cbs-paramount-sue-crowdfunded-star-trek-filmmakers-for-copyright-infringement/

I don't know what is worse: the fact that they are fans of that stinking pile of poo poo called Star Trek, or that they thought they could raise over a million dollars and make their own.

Someone needs to line up these pimpled uber nerds against a wall and shoot them.

Japan and other countries are way less stringent on copyright issues than America is.

Poor nerds.

• Locked thread