Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welcome to 2016, even if it's not quite here yet. Hope everyone had a safe holiday season around here. Happy New Year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Since it's not 2016 yet your post is obviously meant to provide clues to upcoming threads. The first letters in your second line spell out HEHASHSAH, or "he has hsah". The first hit on Google for hsah is a veterinarian, so I'm going to posit that in 2016 there will be a thread about pets in comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ground floor and suggesting these should be monthly not yearly.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Here are some January-themed posting prompts to promote a :justpost: ethos, and to help make this the monthliest chat thread BSS has yet seen:
  • Should auld acquaintance be forgot: For long-running comics (books, strips, w/e), post the best/worst/weirdest/most uncomfortably erotic reappearance by a character you didn't expect to see again.

• And never brought to mind: Talk about a plotline or a setting element that has been quietly abandoned, especially if it was never explicitly retconned away. Memory hole backfill itt.

• Resolutions are like toxxes for the soul: How could BSS improve, and how will you try to make it better with your 2016 posting?

e: And Happy New Year, chums.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 31, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I resolve to actually read comics that come out this year, and not just post about stuff I read previously.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

I resolve to actually read comics that come out this year, and not just post about stuff I read previously.

I resolve to do the reverse. I bought a bunch of TPBs throughout 2015 that I never got around to reading yet, so for 2016 I'm going to try to get through at least 1 a month.

First on my list is Harbinger Vol 1.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I resolve to do the reverse. I bought a bunch of TPBs throughout 2015 that I never got around to reading yet, so for 2016 I'm going to try to get through at least 1 a month.

First on my list is Harbinger Vol 1.

Me too. The past year was a bit crazy (new job, cross country move), and I barely got through my weekly books. Sometimes the pile would stack up, and I'd be reading only once a month.

It might seem like a silly reason to practice better time management, but whatever makes me actually do it, you know?

Golden Age Doctor Fate volume 1, let's do this!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

these should be monthly not yearly.
Yeah

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zachack posted:

Since it's not 2016 yet your post is obviously meant to provide clues to upcoming threads. The first letters in your second line spell out HEHASHSAH, or "he has hsah". The first hit on Google for hsah is a veterinarian, so I'm going to posit that in 2016 there will be a thread about pets in comics.

Bring back Pet Avengers, I need to know what Ms Lion was up to during Secret Wars. How is Throg dealing with Redwing being a vampire?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

[*]And never brought to mind: Talk about a plotline or a setting element that has been quietly abandoned, especially if it was never explicitly retconned away. Memory hole backfill itt.

I mentioned it in another thread, but Jonathan Hickman created like 50 Shang-Chi clones for like one fight scene in Avengers and unless they all got sucked into a jet engine in a scene I forgot, then... well there's loving 50 kung fu masters just wandering around out there, you'd figure at least one could be on one of the numerous Avengers squads running around post-SW.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I resolve to read more non-superhero comics. Also to be a bigger jerk on this forum. Happy new years, losers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Squizzle posted:

How could BSS improve, and how will you try to make it better with your 2016 posting?

Everywhere I go is automatically improved by my presence, so I've got this covered.

Happy New Years everyone~! :toot: :cheers:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

In addition to getting through my TPB backlog, I also resolve to get into a 1+ page long derail over a minor character in at least 1 thread in 2016, as I've yet to have the pleasure.

Someone, talk poo poo about a minor character I really like!

E:

Squizzle posted:

[*]And never brought to mind: Talk about a plotline or a setting element that has been quietly abandoned, especially if it was never explicitly retconned away. Memory hole backfill itt.

In the world of Marvel, there is a village of people in Bolivia that all think they're Hitler. The only people who know about it are Taskmaster (who promptly forgot anyway) and his wife Mercedes (who is a rogue SHIELD agent so she may or may not have let SHIELD know) so nobody really dealt with it.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 31, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DrProsek posted:

The Torpedo is just the worst.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

In addition to getting through my TPB backlog, I also resolve to get into a 1+ page long derail over a minor character in at least 1 thread in 2016, as I've yet to have the pleasure.

Rockslide was squandered by being created an X-character.

DrProsek posted:

In the world of Marvel, there is a village of people in Bolivia that all think they're Hitler. The only people who know about it are Taskmaster (who promptly forgot anyway) and his wife Mercedes (who is a rogue SHIELD agent so she may or may not have let SHIELD know) so nobody really dealt with it.

Are they really Hitlers, through, like, cloning or wizard tomfoolery? Or just a village of confused Bolivians?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

That's not talking poo poo that's a fact, knowing how little new mutants tend to last from one writer change to the next.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

But then we'll need fill-in artists too. I don't want traced posts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrProsek posted:

Wild Dog is a better character than the Punisher. Wait. That's not talking poo poo but speaking truth. Also I'm the only one who likes Wild Dog.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

All of us here at DC Comics wish you a very happy 2016!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

All of us here at DC Comics wish you a very happy 2016!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

X-O posted:

I've been having someone ghost write my posts for months anyways.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Zachack posted:

I cannot wait for the multiple page argument about whether Lockjaw counts as a pet or not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

I've been having someone ghost write my posts for months anyways.

Everything I've written this year is actually by Fabian Nicieza.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

I cannot wait for the multiple page argument about whether Lockjaw counts as a pet or not.

Lockjaw talking was just a prank. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I resolve to start more threads with a narrower, specific focus so that half the subforum isn't torpid megathreads: Joe Kelly JLA thread or even The Obsidian Age thread instead of a big Justice League thread that goes inactive between new issues of the current ongoing.

I'm going to keep trying to get people here to draw or otherwise make images. The comics subforum should have original graphic content, drat it. :colbert:

I'm going to try to make more threads that can involve the strip, web, and book comic posters at the same time.

I also resolve to finish Secret Wars continue not being John Hickman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Madkal posted:

Wild Dog is a better character than the Punisher. Wait. That's not talking poo poo but speaking truth. Also I'm the only one who likes Wild Dog.

I can't think about Wild Dog without thinking about this cover.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

I resolve to start more threads with a narrower, specific focus so that half the subforum isn't torpid megathreads: Joe Kelly JLA thread or even The Obsidian Age thread instead of a big Justice League thread that goes inactive between new issues of the current ongoing.

I'm going to keep trying to get people here to draw or otherwise make images. The comics subforum should have original graphic content, drat it. :colbert:

I'm going to try to make more threads that can involve the strip, web, and book comic posters at the same time.

I also resolve to finish Secret Wars continue not being John Hickman.

We are going to end up with at least 4 Red Hood threads, aren't we.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

We are going to end up with at least 4 Red Hood threads, aren't we.

One for the series. One for Jason. One for Roy. One for DT to bitch about how much he hates Joker's Daughter and that one artist's take on Red Hood's helmet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

One for DT to bitch about how much he hates Joker's Daughter and that one artist's take on Red Hood's helmet.

Who doesn't hate those things though? :shrug:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Are they really Hitlers, through, like, cloning or wizard tomfoolery? Or just a village of confused Bolivians?

IIRC, it's a village of confused Bolivians who have been exposed to the same serum that gave Taskmaster his powers, but a modified version that instead of giving them photographic reflexes it gave them the memories and skills of Hitler.

The entire village is engulfed in a massive civil war with everyone trying to Anschluss everyone else's homes so on second thought that problem might also just take care of itself :v:.

Squizzle posted:

Full disclosure: I don't dislike Rockslide, but despite being a huge X-Men fan I'm not nearly as into Rockslide as everyone else seems to be. Most of the stuff I saw him in he was kinda a dick.

I guess that can be my bad opinion I can spend a page derailing about?

WickedHate posted:

Who doesn't hate those things though? :shrug:

I was going to say you could circumvent both those problems by just not reading Red Hood and Arsenal but then I remembered some of the artists do the dumb mouth on Red Hood's mask in Batman and Robin Eternal and some of the Robin War stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Full disclosure: I don't dislike Rockslide,

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What's a "Rockslide"?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

What's a "Rockslide"?

A good-natured meat-head whose powers have made him into disembodied consciousness, who compensates for his lack of body by reflexively using rocks and dirt and such to craft a golem to muppeteer around. He doesn't give a sweet gently caress about the philosophical issues of being an apparently immortal free-floating mind, nor does he angst about any aspect of his condition—he instead vocally appreciates that being an invulnerable rock monster is awesome as hell, jokes about having no dick, and chillaxes with a weedy dweeb who turns into a Godzilla by degrees when he's injured.

So of course he's just a background noise mutant, instead of a rad non-mutant teen hero having Ultimate Spider-Man-style high school adventures.

e: Here is the one time that the X-books did well by Rockslide:

Thor's granddad, Snake Viking, gave Juggernaut an evil hammer. This filled Juggernaut with eldritch Tron juice and made him Scandinavian double unstoppable. The X-men go into" try anything" mode to take Juggs down. So they try having Gambit grope-charge Rockslide so the kid can suicide bomb Snake Tron Juggernaut. (He'll just make himself a new earth-puppet, so it's not as horrible as it first sounds.) Rockslide's reaction to becoming a Cajun-enabled linebacker bomb is "SHIIIIT THIS OOOOWNS :byodood:".

That was the one time it was good that Rockslide was an X-person. Also it didn't stop the Juggernaut, in case you were wondering.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 31, 2015

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Squizzle posted:

A good-natured meat-head whose powers have made him into disembodied consciousness, who compensates for his lack of body by reflexively using rocks and dirt and such to craft a golem to muppeteer around. He doesn't give a sweet gently caress about the philosophical issues of being an apparently immortal free-floating mind, nor does he angst about any aspect of his condition—he instead vocally appreciates that being an invulnerable rock monster is awesome as hell, jokes about having no dick, and chillaxes with a weedy dweeb who turns into a Godzilla by degrees when he's injured.

So of course he's just a background noise mutant, instead of a rad non-mutant teen hero having Ultimate Spider-Man-style high school adventures.

e: Here is the one time that the X-books did well by Rockslide:

Thor's granddad, Snake Viking, gave Juggernaut an evil hammer. This filled Juggernaut with eldritch Tron juice and made him Scandinavian double unstoppable. The X-men go into" try anything" mode to take Juggs down. So they try having Gambit grope-charge Rockslide so the kid can suicide bomb Snake Tron Juggernaut. (He'll just make himself a new earth-puppet, so it's not as horrible as it first sounds.) Rockslide's reaction to becoming a Cajun-enabled linebacker bomb is "SHIIIIT THIS OOOOWNS :byodood:".

That was the one time it was good that Rockslide was an X-person. Also it didn't stop the Juggernaut, in case you were wondering.

I think he's a great character, but I think the reason he's great is because he's background noise. It's awesome to have some supporting character pop up from time to time and just have fun with who they are. I don't think that translates very well into carrying a series.

Although, it seems to work with Squirrel Girl, so maybe with the right writer, it could work.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

His secondary mutation is an overactive imagination.

Rockslide is like teen Thing, but instead of wallowing in self pity, he just loves being a teenage rock man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rockslide was a major part of the "and the X-Men" books.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Rockslide is not the hero we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

His secondary mutation is an overactive imagination.

Rockslide is like teen Thing, but instead of wallowing in self pity, he just loves being a teenage rock man.

Common misconception. Like Archangel and Wolverine, he's actually part of an ancient "race" of mutants—albeit representing a leap forward in power. Previous generations of Rockslide's people have required small physical anchors to house their consciousnesses, whereas Rockslide's mind lives as unfettered psychic energy; and these older mutants were, unlike Rockslide, incapable of constructing their own bodies. They were completely dependent on others to attach their psychic anchors to a suitable body. Even with these handicaps, at least one other of Rockslide's people did manage to have some impact in the world.

• Locked thread