Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Welp, this song is stuck in my head for the third time in a week.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
For shame not having this Alice Cooper song instead.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

So far, Superteam 2016 consists of Rockslide and Joker's Daughter. Weak start, imo, but has potential.

e: And Zombie Tramp.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 4, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

Joker's Daughter (gently caress I hate just typing that name) feels like a character everyone knows sucks but someone up high has it in their mind that this is the character of the future so it must work dammit. She pretty much feels like a square peg writer's are forced to jam into a round whole because it's their boss's favourite character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought that wrestling fans have come around on Roman Reigns.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They aren't as rabidly against him like when that picture was taken, but the ratings are in the toilet and almost all the better choices for top guy are currently injured.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

They aren't as rabidly against him like when that picture was taken, but the ratings are in the toilet and almost all the better choices for top guy are currently injured.
*cough bryan's 100% healthy and they're just holding him off until at least after the rumble and probably wrestlemania too because they don't want a repeat of 2015 and 2014 cough*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

*cough bryan's 100% healthy and they're just holding him off until at least after the rumble and probably wrestlemania too because they don't want a repeat of 2015 and 2014 cough*

Really? I'd heard people were thinking he might be done.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Madkal posted:

For shame not having this Alice Cooper song instead.

:hfive:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

Really? I'd heard people were thinking he might be done.
Basically Bryan's standing around going "I've been cleared by all my doctors and I'd like to wrestle again now" and the WWE's going "nope you're still injured" and Bryan goes "man do I have to look into alternate careers because I could do lucha or MMA" and the WWE's all "I don't see why you would, you're very injured you know". And then I read between the lines.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No joke - there are people who think that C. C. DeVille is not only a good guitarist, but one of the best guitarists of the 1980s.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Wheat Loaf posted:

No joke - there are people who think that C. C. DeVille is not only a good guitarist, but one of the best guitarists of the 1980s.

I'm pretty sure only C. C. DeVille thinks C. C. DeVille is a good guitarist

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Gee golly fellas, I'm gettin kind of sick of the Joker, and heck, Batman as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haha. Remember when good 'ol BlueWater Comics did the world's stupidest thing and changed it's name to Stormfront? (click here to see why that would be dumb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormfront_%28website%29)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/01/04/stormfront-nee-bluewater-comics-changes-its-name-to-storm-that-wont-cause-any-problems-now-will-it/

quote:

Well, it’s a new year. And another new name.
Storm Entertainment.

Darren tells me “I listened to you…… as it is hard for me to admit, you were right.

No worries Darren. As long as the new name won’t bring any attention from X-Men publisher, Marvel Comics who have trademarked “Storm” for “publications; namely, comic books and comic magazines and stories in illustrated form” since 1993… and last renewed in 2014.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 5, 2016

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
They just have to change it to Wild Storm so they don't get sued by marvel.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
They clearly need to change the name to Comics Castle, or ComCast for short. THIS time they'll finally hit a name that isn't trademarked and everyone associates with good things!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Stop typing about Joker's Daughter, everybody.

You don't understand, this is the moment I've been waiting for; a chance to derail for 1+ pages about a minor character nobody cares that much about. This is the hill I will die on!

(I will not do this)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just post anything about a character you have a strong or weird opinion regarding, or whom you can analyze at bizarre length. We did like 20 posts on Zombie Tramp; we can do any character.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Squizzle posted:

Just post anything about a character you have a strong or weird opinion regarding, or whom you can analyze at bizarre length. We did like 20 posts on Zombie Tramp; we can do any character.

Tailgunner Jo needs a new ongoing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squizzle posted:

I didn't think Maggott was that bad.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
My favorite DC character is probably Kid Eternity, let's talk about him.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent
I wish post-New Krypton Lucy Lane had been resurrected as Brainiac's Daughter, from Kingdom Come.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

I really want to read some of those now that I've heard of them.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

It's time for a Finesse solo series, and at some point in it Taskmaster should meet his daughter again.

The Imperfects should be in stuff.

Terry McGinnis needs to stop being dead and time displaced Tim Drake needs to stop being in Batman Beyond. The world just has no point if you take the dude the world was built around out and replace him with a dude who has no attachment to the world.

Fight me nerds :mad:.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's like the haunted vagina; I want to read about that.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Detective Chimp should be in more comics. And there needs to be another Thunderbolts run. I need my drunk chimp and villain redemption stories. :colbert:

Of course if I wanted a villain redemption story I could always pick up whatever series the Joker's Daughte is inr. . .

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

prefect posted:

It's like the haunted vagina; I want to read about that.

Quoting this so I can find your post later, when I have some redtext money to throw around.

DrProsek posted:

It's time for a Finesse solo series, and at some point in it Taskmaster should meet his daughter again.

Eeeeh. What makes her more appealing than the dozen of other street-level characters Marvel could spend the effort to publish? I just never understood her appeal.

DrProsek posted:

If you get Imperfects before I get Livewires, I will fight you.

DrProsek posted:

Terry McGinnis needs to stop being dead and time displaced Tim Drake needs to stop being in Batman Beyond. The world just has no point if you take the dude the world was built around out and replace him with a dude who has no attachment to the world.

:agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed::agreed:

DrProsek posted:

Fight me nerds :mad:.

👍

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DrProsek posted:

Does Howling Commandos have a Frankenstein? If not, it's the perfect team for Brigade.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

What ever happend to Bird Boy?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

Eeeeh. What makes her more appealing than the dozen of other street-level characters Marvel could spend the effort to publish? I just never understood her appeal.

Mostly it's just that she's my favorite of the Avengers Academy kids that never appeared in anything else, her scenes with Quicksilver were awesome, her and X-23's friendship was funny while it lasted, and Taskmaster is my favorite minor villain that I'm always happy to see get more appearances.

You're right that on her own, Finesse isn't really unique, it's mostly that she and the other AA characters were well liked characters they all basically went away the second their series ended (save for Hazmat and Reptile in Avengers Undercover and Arena (and Mettle dying right out of the gate of AA))

quote:

If you get Imperfects before I get Livewires, I will fight you.

:colbert: Great, now I need to add another book to my January backreading list to know if I should fight you on this or not. I hope you're happy.

Gavok posted:

Does Howling Commandos have a Frankenstein? If not, it's the perfect team for Brigade.

Brigade hangs with the Howling Commandos, The Wink can join the legion of characters whose only power is teleporting, and Hazmat can argue with Hazmat over who the better Hazmat is in Matt Fraction and David Aja's Hazmat! :buddy: It writes itself!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finesse should be the first female member of Deadpool's Mercs for Money.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Beak was probably the best mutant of the last 20 years. Why hasn't he got a solo book?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thinking more about the Batman Beyond thing, I'm not sure that what worked about the show is easily translated into comics. Certain things, like the music, certainly can't make the jump. But even things that technically could, probably wouldn't: the visual style, the '50s-and-'80s culture mash-up, the commitment to new things ideas of endlessly recapitulating the Bat-mythos with e.g. Robin Beyond and Two-Face Beyond and Catwoman Beyond—that's all stuff that requires a tight stylistic control that you aren't likely to get on a peripheral franchise book with multiple writers and artists floating through, and periodic crossovers to participate in.

Of course, you can change some things, and still keep the essential feel, but this Tim Drake nonsense has nicely killed any expectation I have of that gentle, intentional touch. And obviously, you can change the feel, and still make something excellent, but on this property specifically, one of the big draws for me personally is nostalgia; change too much, and I'm not sure I care to read it unless it's a goddamn proper masterpiece.

For reference, I liked Morrison sticking Damien in the Bruce chair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The main things that worked in Beyond were the Blade Runner future Gotham and the relationship between Old Bruce and Terry. Especially the latter. If you take that out, it's not Batman Beyond anymore, it's just some future Batman poo poo.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My favorite characters are Joker's Squatter, the guy who gets reassigned to his Arkham cell whenever he breaks loose, and Joker's Otter, his inside man at the Gotham Zoo. I also like Joker's Schlotter, which is hung right above his mantle and makes a great conversation piece.

I'm also extremely fond of the Answer, an extremely minor Spider-Man bad-guy who I think probably came about when Al Milgrom made a bet with himself about how puffy one man's sleeves could be. He had the power to do anything he felt like he needed to do, ranging from super strength to turning to pure energy, but spent all of his time doing chores for the Kingpin. A couple of years ago he made occasional appearances as one of the Hood's guys, but apparently his incredible super-power decided that the most tactically expedient ability at any given moment was the ability to stand around in the back of crowd shots.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Archyduke posted:

I'm also extremely fond of the Answer, an extremely minor Spider-Man bad-guy who I think probably came about when Al Milgrom made a bet with himself about how puffy one man's sleeves could be. He had the power to do anything he felt like he needed to do, ranging from super strength to turning to pure energy, but spent all of his time doing chores for the Kingpin. A couple of years ago he made occasional appearances as one of the Hood's guys, but apparently his incredible super-power decided that the most tactically expedient ability at any given moment was the ability to stand around in the back of crowd shots.

Aren't there like two other people with that power, Darwin and some other mutant? That's such an interesting ability but no one does anything with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Darwin can only really do anything to survive. He can't just turn into a laser gun to shoot the bad guy at the crucial moment. But he will turn into a non-carbon based life form to survive some kinda disintegrator beam that destroys all carbon based life.

I think Deadpool killed him in one of those awful Deadpool Kills books, which I'm sure was really clever and didn't ignore how his powers work at all.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Best use of Darwin was when he was in the way of the Hulk, his mutant power to survive spontaneously gave him the ability to teleport and then shot him like 10 miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The main things that worked in Beyond were the Blade Runner future Gotham and the relationship between Old Bruce and Terry. Especially the latter. If you take that out, it's not Batman Beyond anymore, it's just some future Batman poo poo.

Not just Blade Runner, but a version of Blade Runner written by S. E. Hinton. Terry is Ponyboy with a batsuit. Beyond was just as much a knowing cross-era mash-up as BtAS was.

And I think the Bruce thing has several moving parts: the gruff old dude, the previous rightful Batman, the link to the Bruce/mansion era. Damien ticked all the needed boxes to work for me. It's subjective as all hell, though.

This post composed on Joker's Blotter

• Locked thread