Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
"Your call is important to us. Please wait for the next available customer service assistant"
*hold music plays Linda Ronstadt's "You're No Good"*

Masturbasturd fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Working at a call center is just about the worst way to make a decent paycheck. It subverts the social nature of humanity and turns it into a scripted, repetitive chore. It's even worse if you have to hit metrics or quotas because it makes you detest the nice callers who want to chat about the weather or how your day is going just about as much as the screaming assholes because you have to meet your daily numbers and you just need to get them off the phone. Even worse, there's just this constant background radiation of negativity because all you hear for eight straight hours is complaints and problems. Like, I get it, we're here to resolve whatever your issue is and I always gave 100% to try and help the caller (even to my own detriment) before ending the call, but it makes you wonder how anyone could ever trust your product because all you ever hear about it is that it's loving up someone else's day/life.

I worked in a call center for a major bank providing support for their credit cards. It's tedious, thankless, soul-grinding work briefly interspersed with moments of frustration as an irate customer bellows at you for a problem that is entirely out of your control, beyond your capacity to fix, and about half the time their problem is either completely unreasonable or of their own making. Add to that the fact that we were expected to maintain metrics of less than four minutes per call and were actually penalized for transferring the caller to another department, even if that was the only department that could actually resolve their issue or the cardmember explicitly requested to be transferred.

And the surveys. Oh God, the surveys.

At the end of every call, you had to ask the customer to please stay on the line to complete a two-question yes/no survey on your courtesy and whether you resolved the cardmember's issue. Of course, this basically ended up providing a pissed off caller an opportunity to throw one last "gently caress you" your way before hanging up.

These metrics formed the basis of every form of advancement within the company, from promotions to transfer requests to annual bonuses and raises, so you actually found yourself playing this weird game where your best opportunity for advancement was to find a balance where you got people off the phone as quickly at possible without sucking so much at your job that it started negatively affecting your surveys to the point that your supervisor noticed. You basically had to breeze through the easy calls as fast as possible and determine when to fail efficiently with more complex cardmember issues. If you wanted to get promoted or an even remotely decent bonus, it actually benefitted you to suck a little bit at your job because caring enough to resolve a 20 minute problem wasn't worth the possibility of the caller maybe staying on the line and giving positive feedback on a survey.

I got paid $15/hr and worked holidays and overtime at every opportunity for a year because the only time I ever felt I was getting paid enough to be a human abuse sponge was when I was getting time-and-a-half, and I developed a thick enough callus on my soul that I didn't realize how stupid that line of reasoning was.

Working a call center sucks balls at the best of times when you and the caller speak the same language. I couldn't imagine doing it for third-world money in some lovely office in a language I couldn't understand.

tl;drYeah, foreign call center reps suck at their jobs and it's dumb as hell that so many companies contract with places like that, but I promise you that the rep you're talking to is hating that call just as much as you.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I used to cold-call idiots who filled out registration cards in malls to try and win a free car to try and sell them time shares. Usually around dinner time. If you got one of them to actually show up to a one of those hard-sell presentations you got 5 bucks, and if they said they would and didn't, you got a dollar. Every time you got an idiot to agree to show up, you had to raise your hand and one of the mid-level manager Wall Street wannabe cocksuckers would come over and tape a Monopoly dollar to your cubicle in view of everyone as encouragement with a bit of rah-rah. They held cattle call interviews once or twice a month where if you showed up with their 1 paragraph script and could read most of it from memory, you were hired on the spot.

The day I got hired, there was an older, Ernest Hemingway looking dude who said he lived on his boat in Mexico sitting in the group. They would go from person to person to see if they had memorized the script and make them say it out loud in front of everyone. They got to this dude, and he started reading it off the paper and Wall Street cocksucker stopped him. He walked over to the guy, and in a super patronizing manner started in with a speech on being prepared, being a professional, and how this was a serious business trying to make money. The old dude nodded gravely at him while cocksucker continued his speech until he noticed the old guy was tearing up the speech in his hands while he was nodding. He tossed the pieces on the floor and walked out. I bet he went back and went fishing for marlin or some poo poo while we all got busy bothering everyone.

The business took up an entirely open floor of a big bank skyscraper in Downtown San Diego, and aside from stepping out to smoke weed on break, the buddy and I who got hired there at the same time managed to talk our way into jobs at the Software Etc. at the mall nearby during break a few weeks later. It's a good thing because the people who actually had worked there for a while instead of the normal, sane ones who quit almost immediately were weird and scary. You wouldn't really want most of them calling your house. Also, one of the older female employee "leads" that was assigned to monitor my calls when I wasn't aware of it used to flirt with me but I was an 18 year old retard who didn't even get it at the time.

The most memorable employee, though, was their golden boy, a young, obese black man whose cubicle was in the "gold section" of cubicles. He was ascended to a higher level of cubicle existence than us mere humans. He would sit with his feet up at his desk, which would be covered in Monopoly dollars like some sort of peacock throne, and just bullshit sucker after sucker into showing up to these meetings, lying outright about how they were going to win a car, a TV, a stay in Hawaii, all the bullshit from the flier that nobody ever won like he was testifying in court. One day he saw me get a couple of dollars and waddled over to size me up, showing me some sneakers he had designed on a post-it. The man had dreams, at least. He really should have been selling something much more expensive to much bigger marks, maybe luxury cars to guys having mid-life crises, or insurance to old ladies, but i guess he just didn't fit the profile for those gigs, so here he was shilling time shares from his palanquin of fake money.

The company, Pacific Monarch, ended up getting sued for doing all kinds of shady poo poo. If you type them in on google it refers to their new reorganization and favorable sites, but just add "scam" to the end if you want to see what they were really up to.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

buttcrackmenace posted:

Lenovo "business" tech support is based out of Atlanta

I have problem and need part X

I call

person with warm Southern accent answers, asks a few questions

part X shows up within 2 days.

Dell OTOH ...

I've had that same experience with Lenovo. It's pretty nice.

We recently got a couple hundred Dell chromebooks, and I've had to send three back in for warranty repairs. Haven't tried the phone, but did the chat each time. Obviously sourced in India, but I've never had a runaround. "Screen doesn't come on, I've tried everything to reset it." "Thank you for the information. If you confirm your shipping address, a prepaid RMA box will be overnighted to you." "Camera app says the camera's being used. Camera light is not on, nothing else is actually using the camera." "Thank you for the information. If you confirm your shipping address, a prepaid RMA box will be overnighted to you."

Of course then it takes 2-3 weeks to work its way through depot repair, but still.

Probably a different story on the non-business side of things, though. Might also be because there's not much anyone can do to fix a problematic Chromebook.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's the one thing that really bothers me about new tech stuff these days. It's great until it doesn't Just Work and then there's no longer any end-user way to possibly debug or fix it because why would you need that when the auto-configure works so well? Then you have to waste the company more money than before with an extended support ticket.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Very carefully op

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My job was outsourced to India twice in six months.

I worked in hotel and hospitality accounting, and my job got outsourced to India. A competing company recruited me because they recognized that I was good at my job, and then proceeded to outsource my job to India several months later.

The reasoning was that it was cheaper to pay a team of under-trained idiots in India pennies on the dollar to brute-force their way through a problem than it was to pay me to do it right the first time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man Capitalism is awesome haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
smash capitalism bring back lf

• Locked thread