Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Yay, Wizard Slayers.

Core rules.

Gameplay relevant BG1 modlist: ToBEx, BG1NPC, Indira, Gavin, Valerie, Isra, Vynd, BG1UB, 1PP, Rogue Rebalancing, Wizard Slayer Rebalancing, Tweak Anthology, aTweaks.

Bronze, I hear you say, you're cheating! You're not using a vanilla Wizard Slayer, you've got someone to rebalance it. Whatever that means.

Yes, true. This is the full documentation, but what WSR basically does is slightly nerf the Wizard Slayer's initial MR (by 4%) and lategame MR gain (continuously 2% instead of 5/1% after level 20). In exchange, the miscast effect adds an extra 1% chance per level, I can turn off my MR to strip protections when I hit, and I get a couple more casterkilling HLAs. I've also turned on the 'minimal' loosening of item restrictions, which means I can use items which directly grant MR: 5% MR amulet, Kaligun's Amulet, Amulet of the Seldarine, and the Cloak of Balduran pretty much covers it, as well as a couple of the BG1 potions.

It's still a pretty crap kit, honestly, but I'll have some fun with it.

We start with some bad omens. Shank crits me, and I break my shield on him. Otherwise, I'm a fighter with full armour and 15HP, so I'm not worried by the two assassins and easily toddle through Candlkeep, grabbing up my money and potions.

Bye Gorion.

As Imoen joins, I realise that I forgot to shop for her in Candlekeep too, so she has no armour and too few arrows. Bugger.

I go on a wolf killing spree around the first area, including both Dread Wolves when I accidentally blunder into them. Throwing axes are ludicrously inconvenient and heavy, but can do some very nice damage.

The RNG is unkind to me and I break both my primary melee axe and my backup one in the first area. I'm reduced to a longsword, which I have no proficiency in. Oh excellent.

On the plus side, killing the Dread Wolves is a good chunk of XP and means Imoen levels up on the massive Tutu Gibberling pack just into the Coast Way area. On the downside, she's now out of arrows and reduced to poking the enemies with a dagger.

Fighting the wolves for the Ring of Protection, which I later remember I can't use, I break my shield a second time. This is going well. (RP restriction: no putting on magical items until they're identified. Partly this is good sense, and partly I'm a Wizard Slayer and really don't trust them.)

My luck is redeemed in the Tarnesh fight. I hit him through his mirror images on the first time, and do it again on the second time to kill him, just as his Horror spell panics me. Good show.

I pick up Khalid and Jaheira and rest, more for RP reasons than for my health. (This is a consequence of burning potions, not really good play.) In the morning, I go out to kill the hobgoblins and retrieve Jhoira's ring, which gives me a level up. I then kick myself for not waiting on this so I had extra rep when selling loot to Bentley. Oh well.

Being stubborn about this sort of thing, I go to clear out the entire Coast Way area, in defiance of common sense. I kill the belt fetishist Ogre with a lovely Throwing Axe crit.

In successive battles, Khalid breaks his helmet, I break my shield, I break the second shield I'd borrowed off Jaheira because I'm the melee tank, and I break an axe. The iron crisis is striking with a vengeance.

I finally clear the map, but with myself and Imoen down to 1HP, and Jaheira dead. The undiseased Gibberling hordes are no joke.

We trek off to Beregost, and Imoen gets her third level from peacefully resolving things with Marl. We rest in Feldepost's Inn, and are ready to march east and get Jaheira raised in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Epic :D Super excited to watch another run through. You doing TotSC/SoD?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
TotSC we'll see about. Probably not Durlag's/Aec because I'd expect to die in them, but maybe the island trips.

Don't have SoD yet and don't think my highly modded Tutu/BG2 games would import into/out of it very well anyway. Unenhanced all the way.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Protection from evil is hilarious

bg2 really loves hiding liches in packs of mummies, as opposed to in ornate thronerooms so I know to buff

improved alacirity followed by running the mag

the remains

oh hai bodhi :getin:

thats what I thought :black101:

I break out the palenter whenever I see golems at this point

:allears:

it gets pretty wild with multiple casters doing time stop, alacrity, contingencies, and spell triggers

bossman knows when to cut his losses

just wanna say that mirror image + slayer form looks creepy as gently caress

really? you sure?

okay

improved haste to fight the pirate king

and ... the githyanki? okay

toss in the planetar to help out

remarkably, still improve hasted. the ettin dies *very* quickly

party mascot found

Im astonished people trust me at all at this point

and then he exploded

killed the new king too, why not

drow war parties are ridiculous, just sayin

then I opened the bell of lost souls, and killed 5/6 of the contents

it's like goddamn world war one in here

prot v evil. kills balrogs dead

oh. hi.

RAAAAMMMPAAAAAGE

nother drow war party. alacirity was involved.

well, this looks ominious. mislead before taking a step

oh, sure. plot capture. why not.

I like githzerai, real talk.

alacrity. open door.

boom.

aftershocks

helping the mage do his mysterious ritual before his inevitable betrayal

.... hunh. that was the first encounter since I dont remember how long that ended amiably.

kuo toa caverns

kua toa prince shows up

his regen rate was ridiculous, I had to improved haste AND use the planetar.

kind of hoping this does something.

you are the ... 4th dragon Ive met!

welcome to Ust Natha :getin:

MT 23/32

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

[quote="LowellDND" post=""459303445"]

his regen rate was ridiculous, I had to improved haste AND use the planetar. [/quote]

They're far from obvious, in a poor case of design, but you really should pick up the tainted tadpoles from an earlier room and put them in the Prince's pool. Weakens him considerably.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sleep of Bronze posted:

They're far from obvious, in a poor case of design, but you really should pick up the tainted tadpoles from an earlier room and put them in the Prince's pool. Weakens him considerably.

Of course, it seems so obvious now :v:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I keep hitting the pause button on my laptop instead of the Print Screen one. :cripes:

BG1UB puts three Flaming Fist mercenaries on the road to Nashkel instead of one. They're difficult, especially because a mob of three is more difficult to kite, but having killed them, I now have three sets of Plate. Handy! Less handly is that they're only worth 15XP. Xvart experience, are you kidding me?

By the time we're through the initial hobgoblin fights on the second area of the road to Nashkel, we're battered to say the least. When we spot bandits on the road ahead, we immediately back off and look for a way around. In the event, this means ploughing through some Kobold and Hobgoblin packs, but better them than the bandits.

On hitting Nashkel, I have an RP crisis, in that my beat up party ought to be collapsing into the Inn gratefully, but Neira will slaughter us if we do. Especially with aTweaks' ranged Spiritual Hammer. While contemplating the problem, I wander the party down the street and pick up Minsc. As I do this, I decide that the extra fighter is himself probably enough of an edge, and that the group was just trying to price check the first inn, so I return. We get in some good interrupts and Minsc bravely sacrifices his full HP, which means she goes down with no further hurt to the rest of us.

After resting, we set off in the morning to rescue Dynaheir from the Gnoll Fortress! I was tempted to do something which is probably more common in tabletop and take a full day out of adventuring, to heal fully, do miscellaneous shopping, talk to people in town and so on, but decide that I should press on as urgently as possible.

Initially this goes well, and I pick up my Axe grandmastery from killing bears. Unfortunately, Imoen dies to an ambush on the way, and when we get to the forest north of the Gnoll Fortress, more things go wrong. I pull Neville the bandit and an Ogre Berserker at once, and while I'm kiting them, a pack of Hobgoblins appears right out of an area of the map I'd already checked. That's only meant to happen in the Firewine! Minsc dies, and I kite the others only long enough to grab his stuff, before retreating ignominiously.

This time, after raising the dead, I do take the full day off. Partly because at this point, if time were an immediate issue, Dynaheir would be dead already, and partly because we really needed the time to pick our HP back up. On the third rest, I get my first Bhaalpower, which is nice.

The multiple raisings has also left me poor. Like, a Gibberling is literally wealthier than me poor.

We go around the Ogre badlands to the northwest of Nashkel for a while, clearing them out and grabbing ourselves some extra XP and cash. Minsc also picks up a magic two hander, so that's one of us immunised from having their weapon break in the middle of battle. (Though, thanks to the no unidentified items restriction, it takes until he gets back to Nashkel for him to start using it.)

Nice shot of Minsc and I fighting back to back in the middle of a horde.

At this point, with about an extra level under our belts and some better equipment, we take off to the Gnoll Fortress again. The area to the north of the Fortress goes better this time, and we're soon at the bridge.

First weapon break in a while. I've got plenty of backups though.

Mmm, Gnoll genocide.

Powerful sorceress rescued!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

That was a good read :D Did you fight the extra bandits/ogre on the road to Nashkel?

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

LowellDND posted:

That was a good read :D Did you fight the extra bandits/ogre on the road to Nashkel?
I don't know what you mean, so probably not! :)

Ah, weekend playing time. So nice.

I first thought this was a really loving impressive/bugged level up from Dynaheir, before realising I had ToB NPCs turned on and this was actually her going from first to fourth in one swoop.

On the less impressive front, I continued a running theme for this game, and had forgotten to buy her any equipment. She hung out in the back of the party for the rest of the Gnoll Fortress, with neither weapons nor spells. (Side note: delicious unidentified items! Really want to equip those bracers! Can't on my PC any way!)

We potter off to the Carnival to celebrate having money again. I forgot how much I hated this bark.

More money!

We kill Zordral without him getting anything off, happily.

Likewise this bloody pickpocket. Do not steal from my party, I am a very angry dwarf with an axe.

Considering everything, I decide to head north again. I want to fully clear the Beregost-Nashkel road areas, and I haven't done the spider house yet. Also I want to pick up a couple of Potions of Genius from the FAI for scribing purposes.

We're accosted by Drizzt, who gives us the Dynaheir personal quest. It's kind of odd and bugs out in a way that I have to look up how to console fix, but does complete pretty quickly at least.

And gives us a Maze scroll as a reward! I should probably keep this around to help in a really difficult fight, but I suspect that I won't ever remember to use it if I do that. I scribe it for 7k XP, which is still a nice boost at this point in the game.

Spiders crushed.

Silke stabbed.

We get up to the FAI, turn in our quests, get some scribing done, and turn back to terrorise the ... southwestern bit of the Western Heartlands of the Realms ... Yeah, could do with some work on that.

The ToBEx option to wake everyone up from unconscious states when they're hit certainly makes Stinking Cloud more interesting to play with. Occasional weird moments where you shoot someone at the end of the round, they pop up, and then the AoE immediately triggers at the beginning of the next round so they fall over again, but it's a cool change overall. Stuff like Sleep and Cloud are less of "I Win" buttons.

God, this is a gorgeous level. Fifth, I think. Dem saves, and that beautiful 13HP roll.

Minsc also gets an OK HP level, which is important, because his rolls have sucked.

Now, he's a level back on account of spending too much time dead, but look at our portraits and how battered I seem compared to him, and then look at our actual absolute HP. He is so behind.

I love it so much when this happens to enemies.

Mmm, Xvart genocide.

On the same map, I decide to axe up this slimy fucker, who's exactly the sort of 'let me be a dick with magic' shithead a Wizard Slayer should really enjoy killing. Karma rewards me and I get my first instance of an enemy magic user miscasting because of the Wizard Slayer passive. Eat it!

Jaheira runs out of bullets temporarily because I haven't resupplied in too long. Oops.

I also have my last two axes break in one fight. Someone up there is trying to tell me something.

I really like this little map, and I think it's a shame it's so specific that it wasn't reused elsewhere.

When you've killed the crazy workers, Charleston tells you to make sure the idol's in its proper place before you leave. It's a blatant hint that you might want to try your luck with stealing it, but I take it as a bit of an RP opportunity, and pick the idol up before putting it back. Outside, the Doomsayer spawns and scares the poo poo out of me. I don't remember if it always appears like this even if you don't touch the idol, or if this is behaviour specifically for the case that you've touched the idol but don't have it on your person. Either way, I am not up for fighting that thing now and am so grateful that it fucks off elsewhere.

Finally, I've cleared this section of the map.

I go off to resupply and grab myself an axe that won't break on me. 1PP makes it look nice! Minsc becomes my pack mule and is now carrying forty throwing axes in addition to my thirty, so I have a decent supply at last. Might make for an issue if we run into heavy stuff we want to cart off, but this should up my damage potential a good bit. I will be bloody thankful when I get the Strength tome and can afford to lug more weight around.

And, in the dim light of morning, we at last venture toward the Nashkel mines ...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Did you grab the Ankheg plate? :D

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

No, haven't been out that way in Nashkel yet. I'll probably swing the RP side of it by venturing over there when I'm returning from the Mines and wandering around all the farm cottages looking for Joseph's widow.

Also, adventure I forgot to chronicle.

Holy poo poo this scared me. Dynaheir killed the one which held me with a clutch Magic Missile volley, and the others for some reason lost interest and went after the rest of my party despite being closer to me when I was paralysed. I think their AI might be programmed to go after targets which are a threat and not helpless, given how long the paralysis lasts? An aTweaks change?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Holy poo poo this scared me. Dynaheir killed the one which held me with a clutch Magic Missile volley, and the others for some reason lost interest and went after the rest of my party despite being closer to me when I was paralysed. I think their AI might be programmed to go after targets which are a threat and not helpless, given how long the paralysis lasts? An aTweaks change?

I believe so, yes.

Are you using SCS? If so, you are going to love the Cloakwood :unsmigghh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dueling pits?? sign me up

stab stab stab

stab

stab

Baeloth's pits, you say

stab. total loots, ~500kxp, 100kgp, and Black Razor.

I started Black Pits II, but exporting a toon means you dont keep your gear. so screw that noise. I might try it later when I add the grear back on.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

LowellDND posted:

I started Black Pits II, but exporting a toon means you dont keep your gear. so screw that noise. I might try it later when I add the grear back on.

I'm kinda surprised to hear that, since I'm almost sure that exporting the other way (taking a black pits export into a BG 1 or 2 game) does allow you to keep your gear. Which makes less sense.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Cathode Raymond posted:

I'm kinda surprised to hear that, since I'm almost sure that exporting the other way (taking a black pits export into a BG 1 or 2 game) does allow you to keep your gear. Which makes less sense.

Yeah, I used EEkeeper and brute forced it.

Now looking for the arena :iiam: So far Ive met a lot of gladiators and merchants, but no arena.

edit: Aha, found it. Did a bunch of fights, screenshots to follow

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 2, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

The most interesting thing to happen in the Mines, which I guess is expected when you go in with most of the party at 5th level. Apparently the Tweaks object which is spawned in place of a broken helmet is heavier than the helmet itself, resulting in encumberment. I'm gonna call it the brief moment of bewilderment while the helmet falls apart around Ret's ears, until he can get rid of it.

Encumberment, though. My worst enemy for this update by far.

Minsc has less HP than Imoen. Christ.

Though I bitch about him, he actually did a sterling job as part of my trap clearing duo. Imoen looks for traps, and he shoots anything that might stop her. Killed basically everything and didn't get himself or her hurt, so good job.

I'm feeling chatty, so let's talk about this remark, which I'm pretty sure reflects a lot of players' feelings about the Nashkel Mines, especially this particular third level. They're stupidly windy, irritatingly trapped, and the kobolds are totally obnoxious to a 2nd/3rd level party. That's all true, but the atmosphere of fear created by all that, by the ambushes and sudden damage spikes, is so effective, especially on that first time through. You crawl forward, praying you won't hear that trap sound, or that the next patch of darkness won't reveal a Commando pack. It's excellently conceived, even if it starts to get irritating once the emotional impact isn't as much of a factor.

Yadda yadda yadda, Mulahey's a cowardly shitter and gets totally smashed by my party, along with his minions.

I was nervous about this assassin party, and drank a couple of potions in preparation, just to top my HP off. As it turns out, they put on the poorest showing I've ever seen by them. They all failed their saves against Dynaheir's Web, and then continued to fail as the party missiled them to death. Not a shot fired in defence. It was honestly pathetic.

This tomb provoked a comedy routine from the party. I entered, saw three Ghasts, said gently caress that, and ran outside again. I stopped there, reconsidered for a few second, and then went back in to chop them up. Worked out, even if I was nervous about their paralysis.

Went into the Revenant's tomb before I saw the guy with the dagger, so was forced to kill it. I don't remember what the rewards are, but I expect I could have got a better one if I'd just gone looking a bit further to get the quest. But the characters didn't know that, and my Ironman gimmick is and forever shall be roleplaying. Besides, 3k XP and a +2 dagger for Imoen's emergency backup is fine.

Outside, Ankhegs appear and I have incredibly traumatic flashbacks of the last long Ironman I did on SA, where these fuckers nearly wiped the party and I had to do a lot of weird juggling with stashing equipment away in the tombs, running away, and coming back with a naked party to try to retrieve their stuff. It didn't go well.

I try to run off, and they split. I decide I can turn, and chop them up individually. Dynaheir had nearly been killed by acid spit, and drank an HP potion just in time for this lightning strike. I hope it backlit Minsc dramatically for his crit here.

Encumbrance starts coming into play here, thanks to my excess of throwing axes. I can't bring the shells back with me, so I store them in the Revenant's tomb for later retrieval. Some time. If I don't forget.

Then, while we're off south in the Gibberling Mountains, Lena dumps this 110lb dying guy's body on us. Thanks so much, that really helps.

This dude pops up, who I guess is another Bhaalspawn. Interesting sort of bloke, and a ProMagic scroll is always handy. Actually, is it? Can I use protection scrolls? I don't remember and I haven't bothered identifying any of them yet. Um. Something else to do next session.

Greywolf is his usual dangerous self, and gets one good hit in on Ret, but our damage output is just way too much for him at this point, and he goes down before I can start being truly worried. Varscona!

I love it when a rep change causes these two lines to trigger with each other. Just another Khalid and Jaheira argument.
You disrespect the natural balance with your devotion to good. Listen to your elders, child: you endanger yourself.
O-o-of course, dear. S-s-still, <CHARNAME>, your father would still be proud.

Thanks Khalid. :3:

Nimbul goes down like an even worse chump than most of the other story challenges in this update. The worst damage he does is giving me a headache when I try to work out how to distribute the weight of the Throwing Axes he kindly drops.

Tranzig proves a little tougher, if only because he causes the game to crash the first time around when his injured dialogue appears. I don't know if that's reproducible, because the second time he dies too fast to set it off. Oh well.

I spend a truly outrageous amount at Taerom's to get Minsc some Full Plate, and Imoen both the Shadow Armor and the Light Crossbow of Speed. (I'm not planning on dualling her in BG1, though circumstances might change if too many friendly mage candidates get chunked.)

End of update: dropped off Samuel, and spent a full day's rest at the FAI, preparing to go kill bandits.
It only now occurs that I should probably have got a Bhaalpower dream out of that. Hope it happens soon, I could use more healing power.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Heh, Ive never ever done the Samuel quest :v: It looks like a lot of work.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Cathode Raymond posted:

you're only meant to get stripped of your gear you had in black pits 1 in black pits 2 after the intro. part of the plot/design like the main game.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I stroll through Larswood and Peldvale and murder all the bandits. An 18 WIS character should probably come up with the infiltration plan, but the bandits are all dicks and Ret may be enlightened but he's not very merciful.

Taking on the entire bandit camp does leave my frontline, and Khalid who had to come in for some emergency tanking, nastily bruised though. loving Taugosz.

Happily, there are a fair few Potions of Healing scattered around the camp, so I can get a little extra health. I also give Minsc a Potion of Fortitude to kick his HP up too.

Speaking of potions, I make myself feel better by landing a perfect explosion potion in the Gnoll Cave, whose AoE is a hair's breadth away from my fighters.

In the event, I didn't need to care because the guys in the tent get like one hit off on the party. The Web spell isn't actually that effective, but our raw damage output is. Weirdly, when I go wandering into the spell later, my MR triggers, or the log says it does, but I still get held and have to wait to make the save on the next turn. Bit worrying.

I go back to Beregost to hand off all the Bandit Scalps, except one, to Officer Vai. While I'm there, I do some house exploring, and stumble into a fight. I don't normally poke around in Beregost, so I wasn't sure if this was modded or vanilla, but turns out it was from the Gavin NPC mod. I had no idea what any of the dialogue options were about, but it was an OK couple of battles. Eighth level cleric with some prebuffs, accompanied by three 19STR/18DEX/19CON fighters and some summoned skeletons on the first floor. Kind of tough but mostly solved by applying all the Magic Missiles from Dynaheir's Ring of Wizardry to his face every time he tried to cast anything. Still got off a couple of Holds, but he was mostly neutralised and heavily damaged instead of being a real threat. Took another set of Full Plate from his corpse.

On the next floor, a tenth level necromancer with a Robe of the Evil Archmagi and a +3 Martial quarterstaff. But she had no Stoneskin and her Flame Arrow bounced off what I think is my first successful instance of Wizard Slayer MR this game, so we cut her down in short order. Fairly profitable.

As we're hanging around Beregost, I go over to the west for a bit of fun. Bassilus dies while getting off his Rigid Thinking. I at first remember it as just a single target Confusion variant, but after observing Ret standing there doing nothing for several rounds, I conclude I'm mistaken and he'll be harmless.

Wandering by him, I am proven wrong. Worth noting that this was an absolute oneshot: Dynaheir has 20 HP right now. If I'd critted, she'd have been chunked and I'd have had to find another mage.

While we're back at the Temple to hand in Bassilus' symbol and get Dynaheir raised, we clear out that map too. I often leave this fairly late because gently caress Vampiric Wolves at a low level. At higher levels, you get to do fun things like Call Lightning them. I really like Call Lightning, and think it's a shame it's so completely nonviable in BG2 because basically all your fighting is done indoors.

At this point, I discover/am reminded Wizard Slayers can't use Potions of Mirrored Eyes either. The basilisk map just got a bit riskier ...

Don't think I've ever left this map so late that I've discovered these guys before. Checking the dialogue files, like I anticipated, you can't join the bandits through them, because the Chill are exclusive to Hobgoblins.

Kaching! One more Melicamp survivor! (I did a little fistpump IRL when this happened.)

For all his protestations about only being interested in magic, Thalantyr buys basically everything, which means I can dump a whole heap of gems on him for mad cash. I promptly reinvest that along with most of my savings into a Robe of the Good Archmagi for Dynaheir and a couple of Ioun Stones from Rogue Rebalancing for her and Imoen. She gets +20 lore, which will cut down on the number of Identifies I have to memorise, and Imoen gets an extra point in DEX. I feel like I've been a pretty big spender this run, much more than normal.

We pop off to Ulcaster as part of the program of clearing out as much as I can outside BG before I go into the Cloakwood. Icharyd is rude and both hurts my fighters a lot and dies before Jaheira can smack him with a Call Lightning

While all the kobolds and skeletons outside the school are shooting at us, I see a couple of times that they're taking ludicrous penalties to hit. I first assume that this is because of close quarters penalties or maybe a bug. When I look at Minsc's character sheet, it turns out he has an effective -15AC against missiles, because I've been stacking the Girdle of Piercing and the Boots of Avoidance on him without noticing (and I think Full Plate also has a type bonus against missiles?) I don't think anything in the game can hit him at range without a crit. Though that 5% does come along annoyingly often.

Ulcaster satisfied, we're now off to the Firewine.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 2, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

drat, one of your mods gives you Robe of Evil Archmagi? I usually have to do cloakwood mines for that.

If you have BG2 spells, minute meteors is an absolute mage killer.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

k, spawned clones of the gear

spell trigger

skull traps

improved alacrity

dark planetar

this is a silly place

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Floog the Beastmaster Is In A Predicament

So after leaving the flooded Mines, Floog journeyed to Baldur's Gate! After some adventuring, I had the great idea to ditch Safana and her crummy HP for Alana and her crummy HP. I did her little robbery quest, which I distinctly remember doesn't summon guards if you're in the process of it...except it did in fact summon guards. Many, many guards.

Long story short, my reputation sunk to 2(!) getting out of there, Alana died, Yeslick decided to leave and...well, I'm still alive, but I feel things will be interesting now as I don't think the Flaming Fist stops sending guys when you're this low. I guess I could try and make it to a temple to donate my life's savings...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DeathChicken posted:

Floog the Beastmaster Is In A Predicament

So after leaving the flooded Mines, Floog journeyed to Baldur's Gate! After some adventuring, I had the great idea to ditch Safana and her crummy HP for Alana and her crummy HP. I did her little robbery quest, which I distinctly remember doesn't summon guards if you're in the process of it...except it did in fact summon guards. Many, many guards.

Long story short, my reputation sunk to 2(!) getting out of there, Alana died, Yeslick decided to leave and...well, I'm still alive, but I feel things will be interesting now as I don't think the Flaming Fist stops sending guys when you're this low. I guess I could try and make it to a temple to donate my life's savings...

Bwhhahaah, thats amazing.

You really only need to get to rep 6 or so that the attacks stop, which is about 1000 gp. (400, 300, 200, 200). Theres a temple on that maptile (the Ladys House). You can probably rest in the sewers if you need to, and then use invisibility to talk to the priests without them aggroing on sight.

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 3, 2016

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I love these dust cloud VFX.

Ret is not big on people giving up, especially when that means letting undead monstrosities kill them.

Poe, weirdly, kept respawning every time I paid him off.

Hahaha, gently caress you Kahrk. He got a couple of single Magic Missiles and an Acid Arrow off into me, but everything important was MR'd, spell failured, or interrupted. Sweet XP and cash.

Minsc and his near invulnerability to arrows are ideally suited to wiping out the kobold packs.

He and Imoen work well together at trapfinding and fighting. At least until the bloody things start spawning behind them. Ow. Im had to blow an Invisibility potion here to get away.

They clear out basically everything up to the Ogre Mage, but when I'm backtracking, Imoen dies to what turns out to be the last trap in the dungeon. Detected it, told her to disarm it, and she just steps on it and gets Fireballed. Think I've had the same trouble with it before.

I go in against the first mage alone, and his Lightning Bolt just about kills me. If MR hadn't blocked the rebound, pretty sure I'd be dead.

The Ogre Mage ends with a Confusion which catches an unfortunate number of people. And selection, because Dynaheir's the most vulnerable of the party to Minsc and Ret just chopping her up. Happily, Jaheira has a Dispel Magic on hand, which takes it off all of them before they decide to start fighting.

More dead assassins.

Areas cleared status. Now, the aTweaks Sirines are both powerful and deeply obnoxious, but I really want the Constitution Tome, so I head west to the coast.

In the event, things go pretty OK, to the point that we cut down two within moments of each other. Just really need to get them to blow all their Fog Clouds and Charming Songs on a melee range target, and then the rest of the party can start joining in from outside the blinding zone. Takes some effort, but this is way easier than the last time I fought them.

Minsc pays me back for his sterling service against much more difficult opponents with a series of dire rolls against fodder.

At this point, Minsc gets fatigued. I wonder about this, because I always thought that fatigue in BG was a simple function of CON. I second guess myself, puzzling over damage taken and attacks made, before I review the rest of the party and find out that Minsc actually has the least Constitution of the lot. He has less endurance than his Witch (16), Imoen (16), Khalid (17), Jaheira (17), and definitely me. Tough party.

Definitely me. 20 CON, baby, oh yeah.

I really like the fact that seers in this series tend to go batshit insane when you ask them to do divinations about you. Bhaal's legacy is pretty potent.

Going all the way back west, we engage in a spot of Basilisk killing. Praying my pro-Pet spells don't run out at a bad time, because I can't drink an emergency Potion of Mirrored Eyes, lalalalala.

I deal with this lot by dumping two point blank Fireballs on them. Sod it, we can heal up; they can't.

Red Wizards are taken out by the usual method. Wizard Slayer goes in and tanks the spells, the rest of the party shoots up everything. They don't put ProNM up, which is an incredibly bad idea against two Fighters and a Ranger, all of whom are at least specialised in their weapons. And Im's got 19 Dex and the Bracers of Archery too, so she's not to be dismissed. We might have transitioned to people actually engaging in melee instead of a totally ranged party, but we're still very deadly from afar.

So that's everything south of Baldur's Gate except Durlag's Tower and the farmlands cleared out. On to Cloakwood!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

rescuing a drow from the braineaters

3x skulltrap

take that fish

random ambush in the caves

betraying the drow

betraying the drow

killing drow

betraying the drow

bwhahaha, Im hilarious

bwhahaha

this guy is gunna be my drinking buddy in hell

attempted to do the jarlaxle chain after the matron betrayal, but it glitches out later

one dead lich

wholllle bunch o dead drow

this was funny, since he was the only one still alive

stab stab stab

rammmpaaaage

danger zone

even more drow at the battle lines

so many drow

time to go bodhi hunting :getin:

so this is the jarlaxle/menzoberranzan fan mod. its... pretty bad

back to a drow city. duergar try to backstab me

fighting in yet more arenas

wut

lets fight bodhi instead. alacrity

heh

mine

while Im here, doing the last assassination quest

I go along with my arrest for some reason

and then my employer rescues me, the way justice is expected to work :D

random encounter in the north forest

sure, why wouldnt a cabin have 200 vampire wraiths

this was a loving surreal quest

my apprentices graduating :3:

forging all of cromwell's items

my planar sphere remains unfound for 200 years, but the moment I take over I get ambushes every week

it goes about how youd expect

the cowled wizard stands in the cloudkill and aggroes. gently caress him I guess

goodbye ... whatever your name was

meanwhile, this dialogue was hilarious

dont like your elf face

and here we go :black101:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Crom Fayr and Blackrazor make this map so much easier :black101:

with a little help from my friends

so this idiot gated in a pit fiend when I had prot v evil up... and he didnt :v:

wow. hardcore.

dragon does not like genre saavy heroes :D

might have been overconfident. planetar, defend me!

which gives me time for alacrity

boom

I feel like I should make a final fantasy reference here

and then I rested for 8 hours and sold all my leftovers! :v:

MT 32/48

as it should be

I could listen to him monologue all day :allears:

Ive got alacrity going, hes firing off contingencies and spelltriggers. the entire fight is probably 10 seconds real time.

could see this light show from space

got cloudkills, ice storms, webs, horrid wiltings, incindierary clouds, deathclouds all going at once

we are both using misleads

Ive actually run out of spells before the alacrity ended, and hes still alive.

finally :black101:

oh. Im in hell.

I love listening to pride :allears: its like tim curry

chopping up a dragon

beholders and nymph cloak

lighting a peasant on fire

I ... actually have a Blackrazor already. you can go.

:metal101:

dark planetar tanks

full buffs, mislead, project image, simulcrum, dark planetar

here we are

multiple sequencers from multiple casters

hmm... where did he go?

aha

he goes slayer, I go planetar and horrid wilting

yes

YOUR WELCOME

goodbye Irenicus

lollll. you summoned an ogrillion, I summoned a planetar. you, clearly, are my peer.

MT 33/49

soul fragment for bhaal knowledge? done

a villian is all about the laugh

giving him random crap from my bag of holding

we bond slaughtering peasants

I decided I didnt want to solo anymore. party is me, minsc, sarevok, viconia, imoen, and nalia. 3 archmagi :black101:

lol

viconia getting her game on

yes. it is time to remind everyone who is in charge around here

viconia gets so distracted by starting our relationship she gets hit by a fireball :v:

Im just killing bhaalspawn on sight at this point

I go where I want when I want

okay, you called in some reinforcements

STAHP

moving the lowbies to the other end of the room while I take care of it

heh

and that gives me a sewer key

lowbies to the rear

minsc has a point

so does vampire lady

I like you

someone else is genre saavy

yes... Im sure you are trustworthy...

I make myself laugh

spending literally 300,000 gold getting the two other casters up to spec

then we proceed to chop through everything like dogmeat

yup

still goin

this encounter is a dick. I want to go first, keep the lowbies in the back, but the cutscene puts them right there with me

get some good lines in though

aww :3:

get the planetar up, he spreads the group out while we pick off stragglers

I just want to take a moment to point out this chinchilla is stomping Sarevok's rear end

aww yiss

okay what the gently caress

stair trick does not work

hiding lowbies on the otherside of the room while I fight does

me and planetar buddy going exploring

not quite sure what to do here.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Cloakwood. It's a thing.

All nice and even. Thank you, Tasloi.

For once I feel confident enough in my melee characters not to run outside and kite these spiders, but to take them on next to Centeol. They are squished.

Wait. Minsc? You look kind of ... unprotected?

loving goddammit. That was like a 6000gp suit of full plate from Thunderhammer Smithy, and a loving bear breaks it.

I've got a couple of suits of normal plate armour in my backpacks, so I decide to settle for that in lieu of backtracking. Most sensible thing to do for RP.

I go into the Wyvern cave. While it's not a difficult fight exactly, as you can see from the HP on everyone else, I get lazy about healing Minsc (and maybe imagine he's got better AC than he does because of loving bears) so he drops. I stuff his gear into the big Wyvern corpse so it won't decay, loot the heads, and trek back to Beregost for a Raise, the reward from Keldath, and to commission some Ankheg Plate from Taerom. Pretty sure that doesn't break.

I think over the RP ethics of hanging around in Beregost for a tenday to get Minsc his new armour, and decide against it. He can make do with plate.

The assassin fight initially goes well, but an enemy yet again gets off a last minute Confusion. This is really beginning to become a theme.

I think it's going to be OK because Jaheira's got a Dispel Magic in reserve, as she did with the Firewine fight, but she fails the check. Stupid multiclass caster levels.

Minsc promptly cuts down Dynaheir, and one of the innocent horses standing around into the bargain. I'd usually soldier on through a dungeon without raises (RP!) but there's a difference between that and going into a dungeon without your only mage being alive. So we go back to Beregost again to get Dynaheir raised and to pick up the Ankheg armour which has incredibly been completed already. The Cloakwood areas, if you haven't noticed, have absolutely absurd travel times between them, which are compounded by Jaheira's BG1NPC quest making you go back and forth between them several more times. I first entered the Cloakwood I think about day 54. I finished it (spoilers: I survive through the Mines) at day 77.

Minsc standing around in his new, shiny (chitinous green) plate , while Dynaheir revels in the Lightning Wand bolt she threw down the corridor to massacre the lined up guards. Paying me back for some of that investment.

Ret solo'd these rooms while the rest of the party was looting. Hobgoblins really aren't a threat any more, whatever their numbers.

Davaeorn drops. Not too tough a fight: a lot of the damage actually came from him getting off a successful Dire Charm onto Ret. He axed a couple of the party, and the AI hit him with several arrows in retaliation. Dynaheir did get the Dispel off successfully this time though, and it caught Davaeorn nicely too, making him easier prey.

We hop back to the FAI to rest and refuel. Finally, I can go to the closer Inn/Temple combination instead of trekking down to Beregost. Also, gorgeous between area regeneration for Ret.

We devastate the Ankheg ecosystem in exactly the way the Ranger later told us not to. Oops.

Even Minsc, who's a good few thousand XP behind everyone else in the party, has now broken the vanilla XP cap.

Halloo, the Gate!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I was excited about 40k last update. And this is after a purchasing spree too. I'm officially too rich for the game. (Compare this to BioWare games since about ME2, where the economy is way tighter, and you'll often have to give things up as unpurchasable.)

What a bunch of moronic goons: next Ironman thread title?

Pretty sure I've literally never found this bottom part of the Low Lantern before. Interesting.

This is actually true of a lot of things, like this encounter too, because I wandered around BG with Ctrl+4 on, both pointing out new houses to me and making me remember where I'd been better.

We Slay a lot of evil Wizards in Baldur's Gate. Seriously, the place is loving overrun with them. Between this and Irenicus, it's no bloody wonder BG1 Fighters could wake up in BG2 with a whole new "gently caress Mages" kit. lovely as it may have been.

Nice second Ring of Wizardry for Dynaheir, though. 20 level 1 spells.

She also gets the Tome of Intelligence because it's not doing much for me, and she could do with better scribing chance. (I swear the percentage on the character sheets is a filthy lie, because there's no way she managed a 3/4 success rate.)

The final battle in the Balduran's Helm quest hurts a lot. Ret's at 2HP in this shot.

Then I run into a Helmed Horror who apparently decided not to join in the battle. Pause. Scream. Take a screenshot. Then run back to the rest of the group so we can take it down.

poo poo level up too. Have I switched over to fixed HP already?

Hate this quest.

To be honest, I hate a lot of the city of Baldur's Gate. The game as a whole has held more of its wonder than I think it has for most people, but the awe I felt when I walked my first character into this huge metropolis has gone. There's little force or direction behind you, the feeling of threat from the wilderness is gone, the quests are almost universally short and uninteresting with minimal characterisation or payoff, and they too often involve trekking across multiple finicky maps with stupid entrance points and unclear directions. It's always a roadblock on my BG1 runs, because I seem to lose interest as soon as I enter the city walls. It's a shame.

I was thinking over my approach to this part of the quest as I went into it. I vaguely remembered that there was a way to do the church of Umberlee out of the book, and I'd pretty much set my mind on Ret trying it, on account of the fact that they're a bunch of psychopaths who should be dicked over at every turn. Ret's not much of a one for turning the other cheek. Then it turned out that this was the dialogue, and I decided that there was a limit, which is when the priestess of the Bitch Queen comes out of it with more honour to her name. So she gets to keep the book.

I then spent way too bloody long looking for Lothander, until I realised I hadn't looked for him after leaving the Diviner's tent. Backtracking time!

Marek is also a Wizard who needed Slaying, for the the record.

There's something infinitely less heroic about stuffing a girl's corpse into a magical bag to bring her back for the reward, when I could be staggering out of the sewers with it in a bridal carry, covered in filth, blinking in the sunlight. Much less noble, much more mercenary.

I loving love the poultry store. From a cost/benefit point of view, it's probably not even worth the ammo. But just for the minimal chance that one of my characters will level up by killing a Rabid Chicken, I can't pass it up.

Axe +2, yay!

Presented without comment.

While there's lot about the macroscale of the city, it's got some great flashes of dialogue, for impact and humour, and the dream for this chapter is my pick of the litter. We'll meet some more of my favourite lines just a little later in this chapter.

Holy poo poo, the lady who's getting blackmailed in the Three Old Kegs has way too many gems in her wardrobe.

Having done basically all the BG sidequests (yeah, I off-screened most of them because I want to finish this up) we travel to Ulgoth's Beard to grab some of its store's fancy items. We also demonstrate that we've still totally broken the game's economy. And forced some poor innkeeper to spend a substantial portion of a nation's annual GDP on buying our miscellaneous crap.

Having acquired the Cloak of Displacement, Minsc's AC vs missiles becomes even more ludicrous.

And then I wander into Shandalar, and for having slaughtered his daughters defended myself after a hysterical overreaction to an offer of buying some skyship components, he immediately packs me off to the Ice Island without a chance to take a breath. loving wizards.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Just sneak past his daughters, geez.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Ret does not sneak.

And at least one of them did kill herself with her own Lightning Bolt, so hysterical overreaction seems like a fair characterisation of what happened when I offered to buy their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Good stuff Bronze :D

making my way up the stairs

dark planetar earning his pay

spells go fwoom

look at all that XP :allears: (also, some raise deads)

grabbing some hearts

sorry mum.

choppign up some more nymphs

level drain to death

crossing the bridge (turns out the bridge has infinite spawns, hohoho. I pulled back and advanced like 8 times)

till I found this guy :v:

rockets rockets exploding

he died ... somewhere in there. not sure when.

the most trustworthy of mooks. I knew Irenicus, and you are no Irenicus.

viconia is digging it

:3:

time for a dungeoncrawl :black101:

i agree sarevok. I agree

this lich just wanted some slippers :3:

sure, statues can cast time stop, why not

psh, like Id have a loser on my team. my team would be much more like ...

Ravel is raised by Winski Perorate
Nashkel Mines: Neira
Beregost messenger: Silke
Bandit Camp: Lamella, Madeira, Telka, Zeela (Viconia as Tazok)
Cloakwood Mines: Tenya (flooding the mines won’t bother Umberlee :v: )
Tanaka and Cytheral as per normal
Final battle: Viconia, Desreta, Vay-ya, Slythe, Ravel

sure why not

found this level kind of tedious, to be honest. each room is invincible unless you find the gimmick to kill it. wasted a lot of spell slots figuring it out.

curse your ... god, I dont even have the effort for it.

dies very quickly

yakman yak yak

I have 2-3 people die each room. viconia does a lot of raising.

see, I can work with this. she takes a kiss and gives me what I technically asked for. devils are reasonable people.

my walkthrough says I needed to kill them for a gem, but they didnt have it. oh well! :)

nalia ran around like an idiot this entire fight, and activated every trap at least four times. I stopped healing her early on, and her death made the fight a lot easier. raised her afterwards, as pictured

someone else who is practical.

was tempted to kill him for the deck of many things, but meh. he played a good game of cards.

LUM

sarevok soloing with the ithilid slayer sword :v:

I can only think of rick and morty. 'stupid motherfucker....'

and then they all died

oh. a surprise demilich.

first time Ive had to use a freedom spell.

this whole dungeon is a prison and we're planning a jail break. or something.

• Locked thread