Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar the Second has fallen. After walzing through all the south lands, all the wilderness south of Cloakwood (except the coast way) I decided to head to Firewine bridge. Some mad girl was shouting "I WILL SAY HIS NAME IF YOU COME AND GET MY JAR!" How bad can it be, it's not like his name was Hauster...

A Ogre Mage? Bah, I can take him with one hand tied behind my back.

Uh oh.

And now my Mage is dead.

And none of my party are hurting him.

And he's chasing me.

And my party isn't doing anything.

And he's still chasing me.

And I can't out run him.

And I can drink potions fast enough.

And I can't stop him.

And he's moving faster than I am.

He comes.

Comstar the Second died to the Ogre Mage Khark .

I'd NEVER had a problem dealing with one before. I just don't know what went wrong. The minor globe had gone down, but none of the party could hurt him, even with magic weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, Kahrk is nasty dangerous especially in the early/mid game when you're most likely to encounter him. I just skip him on ironman runs even though he's worth a decent bit of XP, because he isn't worth the trouble and doesn't drop any good loot.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Randomella the Shadowdancer RNGs the Bandit Camp!

Randomella's mastery of the art of not being seen comes in handy for drawing out the most dangerous human bandit and subjecting him to repeated backstabs until he explodes on a lucky crit.

The best the Hobgoblins have to offer also gets gibbed.

The four in the tent were lured outside, separated and hunted down one by one. The RNG appears to be pleased. Next stop Cloakwood!

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Just the one screenshot this time, but Drasus and his goons are dead. They went down surprisingly easily, although since both mages prefer debuff spells like Emotion or Horror in SCS they were less of a threat than expected. They do have some low level damage spells, but Magic Missile is harmless when you have Shield. Once Drasus died, (The only real threat to a Berserker) the other 3 died with fairly little trouble. The only things I did on the way through the forest was kill Seniyad and Centeol. I left the Druids and Wyverns alone.

Next time, clearing the Mines.

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.

Comstar posted:

I'd NEVER had a problem dealing with one before. I just don't know what went wrong. The minor globe had gone down, but none of the party could hurt him, even with magic weapons.

In SCS he casts protection from magic weapons, so you need a normal weapon to damage him (most players would have sold off their normal weapons by the time they go to challenge him).

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
You could just wait the 4 rounds until PFMW expires.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Kale the Monk is all side-quested out.

First I pick up Valygar and head to the planar sphere. The big threat in here is Tolgerias, who I probably overestimate too much just because he killed me a long time ago when I first played BG2. Nowadays I send in waves of summons to make him and his companion waste a bunch of spells, before moving in for the kill.

We make another planar jaunt to the planar prison after rescuing Haer'Dalis from Mekrath.

And finally, I tackle Firkraag's dungeon and rescue Garren Windspear's child. Firkraag himself is left alone for now, but I'll be back when I have more levels.

Next time...actually getting on with the main story?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Mountaineer posted:

Yeah, Kahrk is nasty dangerous especially in the early/mid game when you're most likely to encounter him. I just skip him on ironman runs even though he's worth a decent bit of XP, because he isn't worth the trouble and doesn't drop any good loot.

Buy the arrow of slaying from the sorcerous sundries. It 1 shots Kahrk through his protections.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Not worth the effort going back for him at that point. You could kill three or four ankhegs for the same amount of experience anyway.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Shawluck II, the Human Inquisitor has a strange calling that seems a little like deja vu. He feels like perhaps he's done this adventure before... hmmm..

Strange, but necessary bedfellows

Well done, lads. Evil has been thwarted!

Khaleid gets fuckin' owned by that Ogre-Mage. RIP big guy

Jaheira joins Khaleid in the Great Beyond. Too many darts to the face

And so we march on with this talking chicken...

Gonna do it, this time. Not gonna die. Nope.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Kale the Monk was Imprisoned by Kangaxx! No screenshot because I was a little too surprised at the time. I sent Keldorn at Kangaxx with Protection from Undead, but neglected to protect the rest of my party. So of course Kangaxx just ignored Keldorn and went after the rest of the team. Oops.

Definitely not doing another full team run again, it's just been too much of a time investment. I might try some solo runs, though.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average set sail to Spellhold after picking up Mazzy and Valygar as warm bodies. There was no sense in waiting anymore.

He barely got a foot on solid ground before he was betrayed by the captain, Saemon Havarian!

I took a small risk and went after the mind controlled cowled wizard for his spellbook that anyone can use, hoping to get a free cast per rest of true sight since Keldorn is now a pile of gore and all. No such luck. Just page after page of stinking cloud before getting burning hands on the last page. Welp.

Ah the soul sucking dream. Which stat to drop? Dexterity, I guess? Why can't I drop charisma? Probably because it's all anyone would ever pick.

Imoen! Oh... oh. That's not a lot of exp, sis. I was hoping you'd have more than, well, a third of the exp everyone else has.

The maze was pretty easy. The only oopsie moment was forgetting to cast chaotic commands or equipping a helm of charm protection on Jaheira while fighting the named vampire. Had to kite her around the sarcophagus, but no biggie.

Bodhi got scared.

Irenicus got wtfpwned in like, 5 seconds. Improved haste helped a lot.

Had to put down Yoshi. RIP, bro.

Betrayed by Saemon again.

Cloak of cheese acquired.

Helped then double crossed the prince for the blade of the wave halberd. Should have given it to me as part of the reward, bro!

Dropped down into the underdark and took care of the mind flayer welcoming committee that I forget about half of the time before calling it a night. In my haste to get there, I realized I forgot to loot the impaler +3 off the king's corpse, the weapon I had planned on using on Jaheira until late Throne of Bhaal. ARGH.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

When we last left our intrepid heroes...

Kivan got rocked in the Ankheg Nest. We made it out with the goods, however

Judicious use of the Sleep spell was lights out for the Nashkel mine operation

The mines have been cleared! :woop:

And rescued Dynaheir! Now stfu, Minsc

After surviving the damned assassination attempt outside the Inn, I walk into another loving one. Minsc and Xan go down :bang:
I'm gonna lose points for this but I had the money to pick them back up, so I did.

Finally, we pay Tranzig a visit. He accomplishes absolutely nothing before getting smeared. Onto the Bandit Camp!

Having a much easier time using a party on the second attempt. Been a couple close calls, though. Especially in the Ankheg Nest...

Edit: caught up with the Joe Average run. Holy gently caress, how?! Please, share some wisdom

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 14, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
While the forums were down, Comstar the Third marched forth.

Taking a risk, and being the good two shoes all Paladins are, she refused the help of an obvious Assassin and Necromancer and went and picked up a elf archer in High Hedge.

Returning to the area of Gorian's death, she got the newly acquired ranger to attempt to charm a bear to act as a meat shield.

The bear didn't like it.

Thus ended Comstar the Third's march, ended by a Bear, bearley had her journey began.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Therefore,

Comstar goes Forth, gathered her party and set off south of Beghost, headed to Nashkell. Being high hitpoint and fast walking Elven Barbarian made it all happen slightly quicker this time.

Note that stat line was the first one rolled (with points moved around).

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Let's try a solo run with Chester the Jester!

An inspiring hero.

Here's how my early battles go. Kite the enemy around while singing my jester song until they get confused and stop attacking so I can put some distance between us and arrow them from a distance.

After Candlekeep I go around getting all the easy XP I can, and reach level 3 soon enough. Also apparently bards can't use the Ring of Wizardry so I get to sell that off and stock up on equipment.

I go back for Tarnesh. Thankfully the guards don't steal the XP. :toot:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Mountaineer posted:

An inspiring hero.

Here's how my early battles go. Kite the enemy around while singing my jester song until they get confused and stop attacking so I can put some distance between us and arrow them from a distance.

After Candlekeep I go around getting all the easy XP I can, and reach level 3 soon enough. Also apparently bards can't use the Ring of Wizardry so I get to sell that off and stock up on equipment.

My last time through BG1:EE, my Blade bard couldn't use it either; I was disappointed with that and that he couldn't cast spells in Drizzt's chain mail, which has a much better AC than the elven chain you can get later in BG1:EE. However, I did finally realise that bards can use Find Familiar like anyone else... I found a scroll of it and Edwin couldn't use it (I forgot that it was main character only), and I was really surprised for some stupid reason that my PC bard could. So, he got his kitty!

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Comstar posted:

Therefore,

Comstar goes Forth, gathered her party and set off south of Beghost, headed to Nashkell. Being high hitpoint and fast walking Elven Barbarian made it all happen slightly quicker this time.

I've been waiting for that pun name to return. Also, that's a helluva Born Hero roll, congrats!

Edit: Also I am trying to be really meta-gamey right now with my intelligence score, how much int does a mind flayer drain per hit again?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 14, 2016

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

An inspiring hero.

Jesters make great use of Invisibility in BG1. You can win most fights just standing around.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I've been waiting for that pun name to return. Also, that's a helluva Born Hero roll, congrats!

Edit: Also I am trying to be really meta-gamey right now with my intelligence score, how much int does a mind flayer drain per hit again?

I have a vague memory that 11 INT is a safe value because they drain -5 per drain. Don't quote me on that or anything.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

I have a vague memory that 11 INT is a safe value because they drain -5 per drain. Don't quote me on that or anything.

This is correct. Also, Potions of Mind Focusing and Genius are available in unlimited quantities in every temple in BG2.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Randomella the Shadowdancer has hit the experience cap and backstabbed and bolted her way through Cloakwood and the Mines

A couple of detours to pick up some tomes and kill some high value targets (Flesh golems, Sirines, Vampire Hounds and Basilisks, making good use of Korax for a remarkably long time, then relying on the 'hide, shoot a blot of biting from max range, run and hide' method) as well as dealing with Brage and Bassilus, and Randomella now has enough constitution to slowly regenerate, and is high enough level for a triple backstab modifier. She picked up a proficiency point in daggers to use the dagger of venom on casters, her main weapons are currently Varscona and the +2 light crossbow of speed loaded with bolts of biting/lightning. The Ogre Mage in the Firewine ruins/Gullykin really doesn't like being poisoned to death.

Nor do the bounty hunters outside the mine. Careful pulling to take them on one by one or in small groups, lightning bolts for the ones with good death saves, biting bolts for casters, hiding and sniping, closing and stabbing. Randomella got herself a new pair of shoes, running and gunning just got a whole lot easier.

Those inside the mine don't fare any better.

Three stabs are enough to make horrors explode.

Gotcha. the mirror image may have prevented the crit damage, but he did not have fun casting with the venom uptick. Stage clear, now to see how fast I can do the gate and the keep when I don't need experience.

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012
Garvok the half-orc Cleric/Thief got one shot by the gnoll chieftan at the Gnoll Stronghold.

After my first few skirmishes with the gnolls, I had managed to break every melee weapon I brought with me except 1 mace and two +1 quarterstaves. At least Dynaheir gets to live!

Ah well, Garvok died as he lived; planning a murder defending the innocent.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Aw man, I was hoping to see a ram staff crit backstab eventually from Garvok. Ah well!

So, I started a new guy.

Because I have a serious problem, I can't let a single Ironman go by without at least one ranger/cleric.

It's dumb! I don't even get the benefits until BG2, which I never get far in while Ironmanning. But man, that Ironskin is worth it. Plus just having a cleric with a zillion wisdom for tons of Chaotic Commands to throw around is fun.

Anyway, Scruffy and Imoen clear out the first screen (getting her a quick level up from a pair of 650 xp dread wolves) before moving on to the n-

Seriously, the first transition is this ambush. Not ghouls, but Ghasts. I miss having an innately hold-proof guy on the team.

Anywho, a whole buncha other stuff happens. Swing south to snag Kivan (who was modded to be an archer. So much for that purist run!), then back to the friendly arm inn for Khalid and Jaheira. It was there that I remembered that the FMVs are unskippable until they're watched at least once, and here I am on a fresh re-install. Well, a re-re install after I forgot that getting Tutu off a modded BG2 install messes things up hardcore, so I had to uninstall and re-install BOTH. What a headache. Next time EE goes on sale I'm snagging it.

After that I decided I was sick of Coran and dropped by Gullykin to get Alora for like the first time ever. Seriously never used her before except to rob the hall of wonders without getting caught. Go figure, if you pick the locks while she's there but not in the party, she counts as an NPC witnessing the robbery and gets the guards called on you.

She's alright. It'll be fun having a dedicated pickpocket.

Then at the nashkel fair I swapped Jaheira for Branwen, who was thankfully not auto-deceased this time around (the whole reason behind my re-install). The mines were a breeze and Mulahey went down like a chump. Khalid does pretty well as a tank with all that HP, so I'm gonna stick with him. I may or may not swap Alora out for someone else once Imoen gets her wiz biz done with and that thief again.

Scruffy the Ranger has beaten Mulahey at his own game, whatever that is

Now let's see if the guys can survive the Amazons on the next screen.

Edit:
Prospects: not so good!

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 15, 2016

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I avoided that ambush by walking back up the mine to the surface because I am anal-retentive about travel time and preferred it to spending 4 hours or whatever getting back to Nashkel.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Joe Average battled through the underdark!

The first hurdle is the demon the deep gnomes have you kill to get on with the plot. I remembered him being only hurt by +3 weapons or better and opening with some mass stun move. The latter either didn't happen or didn't work, so yay for that, but I didn't remember him hitting so hard. Ow. Notice how Joe still has the blade of roses equipped (0 pip in long swords) that I use when shopping instead of the flail of ages (5 pips), that mistake could have been costly. Anyway, time for the "dungeons"!

Kuo-toa tunnels. The only things that aren't pushovers here are the demon knights. They level drain and use fear and I also remembered at the last second they also use symbol death/power word kill and got death ward up on an unfortunately stunned Jaheira juuust in time before she was hit by any of those. She still got beat up in melee, but rods of res kept her alive while Joe and Mazzy cleaned up.

Mind flayer city! Surprisingly easy if you use this admittedly cheap tactic. Deliberately leave someone (or something, in my case a mind controlled mind flayer) not buffed by chaotic commands so they get psionically stunned. The AI is super aggressive about killing disabled targeted, so if you block their way to it they'll keep trying to walk through your party. It's not 100% foolproof - they will eventually give up, but you get a bunch of free hits that way.

Once outside Joe gave the giths a piece of his mind regarding their, uh, tactical retreat.

Beholder lair. You start with an elder orb and a beholder in your face. I buffed up with protection from petrification and lightning along with the usual stuff. I didn't use protection from energy, preferring to use my level 6 slots for improved haste instead, which I think helps more. They dispelled it quick, but anything thing that buys a few seconds is worth it. The monsters died one after the other quickly, before having a chance to do anything too horrible. Hooray! The rest of the lair was boring cleanup with only one other elder orb that tried to imprison Jaheira. You can tell by how it'll move forward for no reason (apparently it's a touch spell?). Jaheira had boots of speed and ran around in circles while everyone else killed the thing. Pretty funny but hard to screenshot.

I took what I thought at the time was a big risk by fighting the trapped mage and trapped lich but then I remembered they start neutral and take a few seconds to react to you. Force attacked them for easy exp and scrolls.

I buffed up for the Phaere rescue because I wasn't sure if EE "fixed" the mind flayers and umber hulks being considered summoned (and thus instantly killed by death spell) or not. They didn't change anything, so the fight was over before anyone could blink.

The brain of the drow priestess quest. I wasn't sure how long you have before your cover is blown so I went for it. Lots of mages, but not very high level. True sight + breach followed by a beating was plenty enough.

Joe Average couldn't think of a better excuse to avoid sleeping with the psycho lady.

I said gently caress it and went for the other lich. I got a bunch of hits in before you're teleported, and when I went back I got a bunch more and it died... without doing anything? I'll take it! At this point I had done everything that can be done in the underdark except the plot.

Someone got double-double-crossed.

Finally out of that shithole.

Minsc! Old buddy old pal! Oh jesus you're over a million exp behind. Well, whatever, welcome back!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Floog the Beastmaster Blunders to Nashkel

So back at the Temple, oh no, a lich! I actually was kind of paranoid this guy was going to call in an ambush or something, but no, he just passes out. Good.

Heading south, it's an ambush. Which I run the hell away from (ain't messing with no Ghast at this point), but Garrick dies first. Sayonara, Fatality #1. Not paying for your rez.

Then it's Ogrillions, which I drop but Ajantis dies first. Dammit...him I do need to rez. Back to the Temple. Also I bite the bullet and grab Khalid and Jaheira, since I need meatshields at the very least.

That gets me to Nashkel, where I forget about yet another assassin waiting at the inn. It's a pretty good plan of these guys, really. Catch me while I'm stumbling in hurt.

...well, it would be if she didn't yet again do the dumb dumb thing and follow me out into a bunch of angry guards. And Rasaad pitches in too for fun.

Yeah, as nice as your helping out was and all, no you aren't joining. Go away.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes Forth has completed the Mines of Nashkel. The victory was tinged with sadness when Comstar fell under the spell of the evil cleric and killed Kahlid. After the fight the rest of the party went and stood in the closest for 10 minutes in embarrassment for forgetting to tell her to rage first, THEN hit someone.

The banter pack is funny sometimes.

Nimbel scared off Jaheria back at the inn, but wasn't too much of a fight himself.

Coming up- joining the bandits!

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 15, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Randomella the Shadowdancer has committed fratricide!

Right then, let's do the Gate. I want the Librarian achieve, so having picked up charisma and constitution, it's time for dexterity, intelligence and two out of the three wisdoms.

For the Dex book, I agree to help the Thieves' Guild to get access. I do the various thief quests because might as well. Also, Randomella is a thief.

Int is next. Up to Ramazith's tower, get sent to Ragefast, kill him, free the nymph, get challenged by Ramazith to get to the top of the tower. In true Shadowdancer style, Randomella hides, ascends all five floors unseen, snipes the wizard with poison bolts, steals his stuff including the book, and buggers off equally unseen.

Wisdom. I screw up a little here by paying money for the corpse from the Umberlants, but I'm able to pickpocket the book from the priest at the temple of Luck so no harm done. The other wisdom book... is in Durlag's Tower. Fortunately it's only on the second floor of the actual towery bit which is always accessible, so yoink and go.

Now, the Scar missions to advance the plot. Seven suns, go in, go to the basement, kill the ganger, free the prisoner, kill the other gangers. Sewer ogre mage, poison him, snipe his friends for good measure, done.

Finally, the iron throne. Sneak in unseen, sneak up to the fifth floor unseen, interrogate Thaldorn to get the Candlekeep info, then kill the bounty hunters and ganger for good measure (and a ring of free action, always handy.)

Now, back to Candlekeep! I show up, loot everything, pickpocket the leaders of the Iron Throne to look for evidence, pickpocket Ulruant and Tethtoril just because, then sneak out unseen. Regrettably, we can't get through the gate, so we poke the watcher by it until he sees us and arrests us for murders we didn't commit. one teleport to the secret library later, and it is time to pick up the last two tomes, which we quaff potions until we can identify as Wisdom and Strength. That last one in particular takes us from mediocre to insane bonuses to hit and damage thanks to good old second edition rules.

Now that we have what we came for, we need to run the gauntlet of pfffhaha no, we're a level-capped Shadowdancer with boots of speed. We leave all the psychological doppelganger bullshit in our wake as we waltz past unseen and uncaring. So long, Candlekeep.

Back to Baldur's Gate, where Randomella makes a promise to Tamoko, then steals a Grand Duke out from a fortified compound in the best heist yet.

Now to show the two down in the Undercellar how it's done, and steal their invites.

Protecting the Grand Dukes as a solo thief is exceedingly difficult, so the moment the doppelgangers unmasked, I ran to the south stairwell and very carefully baited them to me, with Belt and Liia offscreen and unattacked. (They aggro on the Doppelgangers otherwise.)

So, Sarevok buggers off, Randomella follows into the maze, breezing past slimes, doom guard and skeleton warriors, tripping a couple traps but tapping into her huge potion supply once past to heal up. Into the Undercity.

An ambush? Just for me? Not interested, this is a decapitation strike. Randomella briefly greets Tamoko on the way past, then it's showtime. Quaff a potion of magic blocking to ignore Semaj, then she does this the way Daddy would have wanted. Stab in the back, retreat into darkness, repeat until murdered.

And that's BG1 wrapped up! Final stats:

Honours claimed: Ironling, Purist, Librarian, Conan the Bhaalspawn, Honourable Trader, Iron Party, Battlemaster, Roleplayer, A God Among Men.
Dishonour: Don't hurt me!

One last thing:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes forth has rescued a talking chicken.

All girl squad isn't nearly as efficient - dropping Khalid and Jaheria has caused a lot more hits to need Cure Light Wounds to be used a lot more. Viconioa's died one already to a random half orc gang.

Coron is wearing the belt of sex change, and it hasn't changed his character much. I think I'm going to swap him out for the 2 interesting NPC quests and maybe later for the female thief on the coast.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 16, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Chester the Jester is dead!

I don't die from grinding basilisks, in fact it goes quite smoothly.

I don't die from helping Melicamp, in fact he manages to live for once.

I don't die from fighting Silke, though it was an interesting fight. I cast Deafness on her to disrupt her spells, causing her to run away and I have to chase her across town.

I don't die from fighting Neira, though I come quite close. She cast Hold Person on me, but the nearby guards shoot her just before my HP runs out.

I don't die fighting the assassins in the desert near Nashkel.

No, I die from a stupid random inter-map encounter. I pick up that deserter Samuel from that one map near Nashkel and try to deliver him to the Friendly Arm Inn. Unfortunately he's too heavy to carry without a Strength spell, so I memorize it a few times and cast it, hoping I can get to the inn without a random encounter. Well, turns out I get ambushed by a bunch of skeletons and ghouls. Rather than drop Samuel and run (as I should have) I hurriedly cast Strength again, but a Ghoul stuns me before I can get away. RIP Chester.

Lesson learned: Roll for a better Strength score next time. That, or abandon the people you're trying to help when they become a burden. :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Randomella the Shadowdancer has escaped her captivity!

She did it all by herself, too. Got freed by the girl who was left standing in a field outside Candlekeep for three months. Unlocked the cage with that woman she talked to once in the Friendly Arm inn, and got the complete stranger she'd walked past in Nashkel to bust out of his cage on his own. All three were told to split up and make their own way out. There was a rogue on the second level standing around, but Randomella just ghosted past him without saying a word. When they got out, standing in a field girl got sent to wizard prison.

Randomella went off to sell some loot. On a whim, she purchased a couple potions of master thievery...

That's a nice ring.

Speaking of thievery, Randomella also pays a visit to Gorch. No honourable trading this time around.

We finish off the circus tent, then head to Watcher's Keep for the potion bag, ammo belt and +4 flaming crossbow.

And you know what? Why not go a little deeper, since we're here?

Because these drat statues on level one take forever to kill. Ah well, I'm a patient man and not many of them have range, so let's shut ourselves and the archer away for a sculpture class. Dare I go further this early?

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Dostngosp Teachevils has killed Davaeorn and flooded the Cloakwood Mine.

On the way down the mine, I killed these 2 mages. While Hareishan mainly attacked with debuffs, Natasha had a lot of damage spells and was a lot more dangerous. I had to use 10 potions to heal after the fight with Natasha, because I was saving my buffs for Davaeorn.

Speaking of Davaeorn, here he is being his usual cheerful self. I bet he's a right laugh at parties.

The usual elemental resistance, as well as regeneration, freedom and invulnerability potions limited his damage somewhat. His 2 Battle Horrors died with no problem, and a very fortunate failure of his Remove Magic spell to remove my buffs left him with basically no chance. Eventually, after a long fight, he died in melee combat having run out of spells.

After a quick 4 day diversion to High Hedge to sell the loot (About 20,000 gold worth, a good haul) I headed north to Baldur's Gate.

Next time, sidequests in the big city.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 7, 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Comstar goes Forth has ended her life and adventure. Coron saw a ghost lady at Firewine bridge and was givin a bunch of dead roses. Viconia died to the sword master at the end of the bridge and while getting her resurrected at the Berhgost temple the cleric outside noticed that Coron was afflicted with something bad, but she brought the roses back to life.

Back at Firewine, the ghost girl with the very red lips asked to go into the dungeon. Inside near the door was a adventurer who gave me some salts. Giving them back to Ghost Girl revealed she was a succubus and asking for a reward made her get mad. Coron was enchanted (and died in the insuring battle) and then the Succubus went invisible and killed Comstar goes Forth.

So all girl squad was NOT a success. Think I'll keep Jaheria and Khalid around next time.

The one time I completed Baldurs Gate I did it as a F/T/M. Let's see if it works better in the enhanced edition. Comstar V the Fighter/Thief/Mage has seen her adoptive father killed and met up Hey there, it's me Imoen.

Walked out of Candlekeep. First NPC met was a wolf. How hard can THAT be. I've got the mage spell Armour up, and a small shield, my AC should be fine!

Hmm, better use a healing potion.

And another one.

A shameful display.

Maybe drop the Mage part and LETS TRY THAT AGAIN. Comstar VI the Fighter/Thief. She has gathered the canon party (Minsc, Jaheria, Imoen, Khalid and Dynaheir). Though I should probably have gone with a evil(?) human Fighter for the fully correct party.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 17, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Time to revive a character I started for last year's thread but never ended up using.

Who's this little guy?

It's Leviss the Cleric/Thief Kobold! I did some EEKeeper shenanigans to change my character into a kobold, but mechanically he's a completely normal Half-orc Cleric/Thief. I'm gonna call this Purist still since the change is a purely cosmetic one.

Leviss was a character I played for years in a D&D 4th Edition campaign. He was just a cleric, but with high Dex and training in stealth and thievery he also functioned as the party thief.

Tarnesh goes down to a single sling bullet. I forgot sling damage gets a strength bonus, so that's cool.

Melicamp...lives? What is this madness?

I kill Silke since I don't know where else to get a +1 Quarterstaff this early. A Potion of Insulation saves Leviss from being fried to a crisp here.

Did you know summoned skeletons' weapons can break? I didn't! Anyway, Neira goes down without incident.

Bassilus too. I send in my own skeleton friends to make him waste his spells first, then I go in and paralyze him with Hold Person.

And finally, Leviss makes a new friend at the waterfall near Nashkel.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Oh, nevermind. Leviss died.

Went to go kill some ankhegs. I found one, but the damned thing kept making its save against the wand of sleep, all the while spitting acid at me for massive damage.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I always wanted to use Lilarcor in BG2, but he gets out-classed. Enter Item Upgrade Mod!

I hope these don't unbalance the game too much.

Comstar VI went and said hello to Greywolf. Minsc AND his witch paid the price for that long sword of his.

And now Minsc got himself killed walking into the 1st trap on the bridge in the mines. That Imoen was a second from disarming. This is a LONG walk back to town.

edit- Mines cleared. Dynaier died to Nimbul when both Minsc and CHARNAME ran off screaming.

edit - Brassis killed Minsc after holding hamster on him, then held CHARNAME and Jaheria and only died to a badly shot lighting bolt from Dynaier that JUST missed killing all of them as it bounced off the stone circle.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jan 18, 2016

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Comstar posted:

I always wanted to use Lilarcor in BG2, but he gets out-classed. Enter Item Upgrade Mod!

I hope these don't unbalance the game too much.
Most of the upgraded items are way overpowered; I think the mod's intended to be used with Tactics. Lilarcor looks like it's still within reason, though, considering it's upgradeable at the same time you can get the Silver Sword and probably have or are about to get Carsomyr.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 18, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Randomella has cleared Watcher's Keep level 2, then untwisted the twisted rune!

I'm half-tempted to do Hexxat's quest to get Dragomir's Respite, but that would invalidate doing a solo run. So I'll beeline Spellhold soon for the bag of holding. Anyway, conga line!

Similar technique for the Chromatic Demon, once I reopened the door to the noxious fume room. Draw him in, get out of his line of sight, find a safe place to stand...

Now, soloing the maze is probably a bit beyond Randomella without some extra kit. Let's go get some. To the Bridge district!

Getting closer to 3-digit backstabs. Carefully taking out the Twisted Rune one by one, and getting them to take each other out.

Not using scrolls of protection against the undead, but the wand of cursing from Watcher's Keep is very, very useful.

And with that, Randomella steals her magic stick, to use later. Onwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Floog the Beastmaster Can't Save Anyone

Well. Beastmasters may suck rear end, but there's one thing they do well. Hilarity like siccing Ursa the Cave Bear on his own pack of Xvarts.

Yes yes, go away Drizzt.

This guy I remember being troublesome, but he's beaten pretty easily by drawing him up the hill, killing him, then doing the same to his buddy.

Bassilus, who...um, I somehow end up in a dialogue chain where his skeletons don't die, but they also don't go hostile and just kind of wander away. Okay then.

I make him waste his assortment of Hold spells, then run away right into another Hobgoblin I forgot about. This might have been a poison arrow one, but I never find out as he dies too quickly.

In walks Bassilus, who hits slightly harder than I was expecting and kills Jaheira before dying. Can't afford to rez her either. Hmph...

• Locked thread