Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

It's been 2016 for 4.5ish hours so far and all I have to report is that as of yet there have been no serious catastrophes that I know of. More as this develops.

For those that are late -

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how much pee Ricco will need to stockpile before he finally gets a decent job, where it's finally getting cold in the USA, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max fan fiction, cycling, pets.... just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people.

I stole half of that paragraph from cat terrist / CAT INTERCEPTOR and I am not ashamed IN THE SLIGHTEST

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY GOONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I dunno, still feels pretty 2015-ish to me.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
It's finally no longer shorts weather in Minnesota. Bring it on, winter, I have a bus pass this year :c00l:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Bring it on, winter, I have a bus pass this year :c00l:

You really should have a moped man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You really should have a moped man.

Eight hundred cash, that's a hell of a deal!

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Update: Time is passing at the usual rate. Something Awful appears to still be intact, though as the location of "the cloud" is a well-guarded secret, the exact point at which it will pass through the temporal barrier between 2015 and 2016 is unknown - we cannot assume that it has passed through unscathed for ~19 more hours.

I have checked, and yes, turbochargers still work, as do subaru engines (sometimes).

It appears that this is yet another mundane year change. Just the way we like it - stand down, men. -distant sound of high-strung engines shutting down as hundreds of war rigs are pushed back into their barns-

IOwnCalculus posted:

Eight hundred cash, that's a hell of a deal!

I'm headin' downtown! cruisin' through the alley!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
ITS NOT JANUARY YET!

CAH tonight, date tomorrow. Starting 2016 off right.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Posting in the future, ITT.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Future posting.

Crystal ball says 2016 is probably going to loving suck just as much as 14 and 15 did.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

iwentdoodie posted:

Future posting.

Crystal ball says 2016 is probably going to loving suck just as much as 14 and 15 did.

If not more!

Let's see, the international stage will continue to be death, murder, and mayhem, along with a side helping of crazy weather and continued government indifference. Yay!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress yeah posting in the future.

somewhere.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the last thread:

kastein posted:

Jesus gently caress, I can see at least one glaring issue with the strut bar design, too. It should have a cylindrical wall around it, or at least more gusseting, to spread the load from that vertical plate the bars weld to out into the horizontal flange that bolts to the strut towers. Not sure it'll be an issue in actual use, but that is the weak point.

That's a problem, but I wouldn't trust the shop's rewelded strut towers to hold up, either.

Jack Plays Bass
Aug 16, 2007

the armenian willy wonka
Happy New Year's, fellow Goons!

Since there are a bunch of tech/IT guys in here, and I know none in real life, I've got a question. My girlfriend bought me the Make Raspberry Pi Deluxe Starter Edition and an Arduino Uno/ARDX Starter Kit for Christmas, along with a soldering set. I have NO idea what the gently caress I'm doing with any of this, nor what cool projects I can even make. I have very little actual electrical knowledge, and the last time I tried to code I was 10 years old. I successfully hooked up the Pi and booted for the first time, and made an LED blink on the Arduino, but beyond that I'm lost. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do/a guide for getting started on a cool project?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

drat, 13 hours and change to go and a new thread already?!? You guys are assholes! :3:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Raspberrys are delicious dropped in a glass of champagne. Do that with it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jack Plays Bass posted:

Happy New Year's, fellow Goons!

Since there are a bunch of tech/IT guys in here, and I know none in real life, I've got a question. My girlfriend bought me the Make Raspberry Pi Deluxe Starter Edition and an Arduino Uno/ARDX Starter Kit for Christmas, along with a soldering set. I have NO idea what the gently caress I'm doing with any of this, nor what cool projects I can even make. I have very little actual electrical knowledge, and the last time I tried to code I was 10 years old. I successfully hooked up the Pi and booted for the first time, and made an LED blink on the Arduino, but beyond that I'm lost. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do/a guide for getting started on a cool project?

Raspis tend to be the most useful for things that need network connectivity, since they are a full fledged Linux computer with built in Ethernet (and easily added USB Wifi adapter). Maybe something like a networked sensor, or something that lets you open your garage door with your phone, or something like that.

The Arduino is more limited in terms of computational power, but they're cheap and have a reasonable amount of I/O. I too have no project in mind for mine, but it can probably do any "a widget that does <a thing>" type projects that don't require communicating with another computer.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

That or sell them and get some Little Bits. My kids love those and they're a pretty fantastic start with little to no tech knowledge.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Why sure take the piece of poo poo ping pong table out of the basement and set it up in the living room 2 feet away from my gaming rig while I am taking a nap.

First time a paddle smacks into my PC I am taking a sledge hammer to that table.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
postin' in da future

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Why sure take the piece of poo poo ping pong table out of the basement and set it up in the living room 2 feet away from my gaming rig while I am taking a nap.

First time a paddle smacks into my PC I am taking a sledge hammer to that table.

Save time, break your roommates with the hammer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
2015 has been pretty good to me.
Yes, I got hit by the car, but I also moved the gently caress out of the Inland Empire.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Pisses you off, doesn't it? :colbert:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Pisses you off, doesn't it? :colbert:

I see what you did there.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

keykey posted:

That or sell them and get some Little Bits. My kids love those and they're a pretty fantastic start with little to no tech knowledge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4-E5Hs3Kc

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

I stole half of that paragraph from cat terrist / CAT INTERCEPTOR and I am not ashamed IN THE SLIGHTEST

Nor should you be, hopefully just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people. becomes mandatory

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I see what you did there.

You gotta give him credit though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kimbo305 posted:

From the last thread:

That's a problem, but I wouldn't trust the shop's rewelded strut towers to hold up, either.

Pshhh, like they actually did that instead of just throwing the aftermarket bar on in 20 minutes like it's designed to do.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

wallaka posted:

Pshhh, like they actually did that instead of just throwing the aftermarket bar on in 20 minutes like it's designed to do.

no but you see Dick is a guy you can trust, you won't be hosed by Dick.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Rhyno posted:

You gotta give him credit though.

I'm more angry that I didn't come up with it...

I just got home from doing errands and a bunch of my coffee mugs and cups are in the trash. I'm throwing away a bunch of their poo poo tonight while they are out. So annoyed.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ground floor of the new year! 2015 was awesome. No work today or tomorrow. Currently hanging out in the basement with my kids in their bounce house. Getting 2016 started off well!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Im gonna get so hosed up tonight. Im gonna wear a boiler suit so that way i cant loose any clothes

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just got home from doing errands and a bunch of my coffee mugs and cups are in the trash. I'm throwing away a bunch of their poo poo tonight while they are out. So annoyed.

Dude, ease up. Is this their reaction to you telling them you're moving out? Does it happen all the time? Is it out of the blue?
Either way, why burn a loving bridge? Just cool off and hang on until you're outta there.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bridge burning is usually unadvised, but when you got that fucker burning it can be quite a pleasure

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just stab them and take off to mexico.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Worked 8am-3pm with a 99.1 temperature and sinus infection. I managed to survive on Mucinex and Monster Rehab, just glad to be home where there's a bed for when the Nyquil kicks in.

Congrats on surviving another planetary orbit around the sun! :toot: :derp: :woop:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Happy New Year y'all.

God I hope 2016 is better than 2015.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Powershift posted:

Just stab them and take off to mexico.

P. sure they don't piss test in mexico either. Sounds like a win win to me!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My mum was hospitalized on Christmas Eve with pneumonia and they found pulmonary embolisms as well as clots in her legs

Turns out it's from non operable lung cancer

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress, dude. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

My mum was hospitalized on Christmas Eve with pneumonia and they found pulmonary embolisms as well as clots in her legs

Turns out it's from non operable lung cancer

Holy poo poo, is she a smoker?

Sorry man, that sucks.

• Locked thread