Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
"Blue Bloods" is a really loving terrible show
Yeah op :thumbsup:
No op :mad:
Tom Selleck :swoon:
Goku :goku:
View Results

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I visited my parents over Christmas and sat through a couple episodes because that's apparently all they ever watch, and there was a scene where the entire family was sitting down for dinner (this happens every episode I gather) and they were talking about police shootings and each character had a turn to voice Police State propaganda about how no cops want to shoot someone (they didn't even settle for the Rotten Apples narrative), how no one ever hears about the good things police do, etc etc

It's also really terribly acted and is all around garbage, I would suggest avoiding it

At least it's helping Tom Selleck to support his avocado farm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my grandma likes it and I watched an episode with her. it's a Bad Show but i love her dearly and she's a smart charming lady, so i enjoyed watching it with her

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
Well it is a tv show that should have been your first clue

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like bojack horseman i cant wait for season 3!!!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
also voted 1 for no checkbox poll.

come on OP youre better than that -- rookie mistake!!

Superior Bastard
Jun 5, 2004

I wanna be on you.
The thing that really stands out for me, aside from the fact that every member of the family save for the children has been shot, is how loudly Tom Selleck breathes through his nose. I've pointed this out to people at my job and they cannot help but pay attention to it whenever they watch the show now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nooner posted:

also voted 1 for no checkbox poll.

come on OP youre better than that -- rookie mistake!!

That's fair Nooner, I'll try harder next time!

Amanda Huggensuck
Nov 8, 2012
it's all be downhill since he left Hawaii anyways

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Professor Shark posted:

I visited my parents over Christmas and sat through a couple episodes because that's apparently all they ever watch, and there was a scene where the entire family was sitting down for dinner (this happens every episode I gather) and they were talking about police shootings and each character had a turn to voice Police State propaganda about how no cops want to shoot someone (they didn't even settle for the Rotten Apples narrative), how no one ever hears about the good things police do, etc etc

It's also really terribly acted and is all around garbage, I would suggest avoiding it

At least it's helping Tom Selleck to support his avocado farm

Yeah, my parents watch it too, Christmastime is boring :suicide:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I eventually went outside and shoveled the driveway better because I couldn't take the propaganda anymore

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Professor Shark posted:

I eventually went outside and shoveled the driveway better because I couldn't take the propaganda anymore

Old people like watching boring and bad TV

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Only good cop show is T.J Hooker.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Hooker's a good cop!

Professor Shark posted:

Sounds like your folks know how to motivate you.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
The real laugh is how compounded the hilarity is when the juvenile cops are great why does everyone hate us narrative is slathered over the motherfucking nypd, the rankest corruptest motherfuckers in the badge wearin business

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
This show is about cops? It's called Blue Bloods so I thought it was about some old money scandal ridden rear end in a top hat family which Tom Selleck was the patriarch of.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Arian_Samurai posted:

This show is about cops? It's called Blue Bloods so I thought it was about some old money scandal ridden rear end in a top hat family which Tom Selleck was the patriarch of.
Or at least about a gang of bloods that use blue instead of red for some wacky reason.

Maybe they're actually good samaritans just cleaning up the neighborhood. Or it could be like a child gang that funnels into red when they grow up and they could have little rascals style hijinks but with drugs and gang violence.

Those are the two shows I imagined in my head, and that's why I've intentionally never watched it or read about it because I knew whatever it actually was wouldn't live up to what could have been if I had written the show.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 31, 2015

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Quigley down under is right cops are good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my grandma likes loving downton abbey

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

my grandma likes loving downton abbey

drat there's like 30 people on that show

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Medium Cool posted:

drat there's like 30 people on that show

Gramma gotta get her freak on

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Everything I know about this show I learned from an informative article on somethingawful.com: http://www.somethingawful.com/news/blue-bloods-cop/

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I watch terrible shows and I like the parts of the show that revolve around Jamie and his adventures. Also his partner can put me in handcuffs and beat me whenever she pleases.

The rest is garbage though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

happyhippy posted:

I downloaded this show based on only the title and was extremely disappointed

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Shaquin posted:

The real laugh is how compounded the hilarity is when the juvenile cops are great why does everyone hate us narrative is slathered over the motherfucking nypd, the rankest corruptest motherfuckers in the badge wearin business
I thought Chicago and Lapd were both worse

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Sorry, but New Orleans is still the all time champ.

quote:

During an August 2010 ride-along, we observed firsthand a delay in response to a call for service from a victim of domestic violence, apparently because she was a monolingual Spanish- speaker. It further appeared that the officer may not have responded at all if not pressed by the DOJ investigator and if the DOJ investigator had not happened to be bilingual. After the officer continued to patrol the district for 30 minutes following receipt of the complaint, the DOJ investigator inquired about what calls had come in through dispatch. The officer initially skipped over the domestic violence call, but then asked the DOJ investigator whether he spoke Spanish. When the investigator replied that he did, the officer responded to the call. Upon arrival at the scene, the victim, who had visible injuries, said she had been waiting more than an hour for a response. Later, the officer explained that there was only one person on the shift capable of serving as an interpreter, and that the individual was often difficult to reach.

The whole thing is just as bad, if not worse, than that little anecdote.

oblique
Sep 20, 2001

Like me, they have no way to go but up.
one time my grandma shared an elevator with tom selleck

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

haljordan posted:

Sorry, but New Orleans is still the all time champ.

The whole thing is just as bad, if not worse, than that little anecdote.

That's just laziness. The stuff where they straight up murdered and robbed people during katrina is way worse.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Mange Mite posted:

That's just laziness. The stuff where they straight up murdered and robbed people during katrina is way worse.

There's a good bit in there about how the police dogs bit their handlers more than the suspects.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

haljordan posted:

There's a good bit in there about how the police dogs bit their handlers more than the suspects.

Good dog

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
My parents also only watch this, and it's apparently on at any time of day or night. From what I've seen there's a slightly liberal daughter (?) at the family dinners who suggests that perhaps it's not a good idea to kill all black people before being condescendingly dismissed by the revered patriarchs of the family. The family is also named Reagan.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Goku pants poll is pretty amazing.

:goku:

What happened to the rest of him?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

ohsosad posted:

Goku pants poll is pretty amazing.

:goku:

What happened to the rest of him?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Blu Bluds

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

moller posted:

My parents also only watch this, and it's apparently on at any time of day or night. From what I've seen there's a slightly liberal daughter (?) at the family dinners who suggests that perhaps it's not a good idea to kill all black people before being condescendingly dismissed by the revered patriarchs of the family. The family is also named Reagan.

Everything that I've witnessed from this show reinforces the belief that police are the social betters of the average person, so I can see a problematic character like a slightly liberal voicing their concerns only to be confidently and logically corrected by TV's Tom Selleck and the dad from Fraser being a thing on this show, in case any of the viewership starts getting fidgety about the current national situation (that is cops robbing/ killing aAfrican Americans because it's been part of the job since time out of mind).

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

IMO anyone who watches that show and enjoys it and agrees with its lessons should be murdered. And I mean that.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
when did it become popular to hate the police

OP are you a criminal

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The police are pretty bad, no matter where you go in North America

Unless you watch Blue Bloods, then the police are all self sacrificing heroes who are smeared in the media and by the son's friends at school who question why so many African Americans are killed by police

Edit: In all honesty I've had good and bad encounters with the police, ranging from "I was a Substitute Teacher for a year, forget this ticket" to "Get the gently caress out of here [this sidewalk during a protest], you loving prick"

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Police are pretty inconsistent. Sometimes they are big jerks and other times they are pretty okay guys. At least in my area they are generally pretty okay even when they are being big jerks and yelling at you and damaging property. They're pretty unlikely to shoot you, put you in a coma, or anything like. In fact, I'm not sure if they've ever done any of that to a citizen here that's how rare it is for them to be like that. When I've driven around the country police are huge assholes in comparison. I mean okay an officer broke down the gate to my yard for no reason once and barged into my home once, but then he just kind of left without even a warning or anything after we had a little chat with him about whatever dumb crap he came for.

I also had one threaten to cite me for parking on the wrong side of the street, when it's a double wide street that was paved so long ago that it's paved with stones, sand, and god knows what. And all the other cars were parked the same way, because no one who lives on the street parks going up it they only aim down. There was also a foot of snow at the time so what the heck man, why would I want to try drive up a sheet of ice (my somewhat steep hilly street) with rear wheel drive. There are 4 whole homes on the street and no traffic ever comes through because it's just two side streets on either side and neither is a shortcut. There is so much available parking that employees of a 300+ bed nursing home up the street park on it and there's still tons of free space. That's the only police officer I've seen in my neighborhood observing poo poo in 20 years.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 1, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blue Bloods seems to fall pretty heavily in favor of "Actually they're all Good Guys", however, which makes it pretty lovely propagandist crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
who watches all of these gay rear end cop serials, anyway? even poo poo like law and order has been played out for 10+ years, yet lovely ripoffs are a dime a dozen

• Locked thread