Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
"Blue Bloods" is a really loving terrible show
Yeah op :thumbsup:
No op :mad:
Tom Selleck :swoon:
Goku :goku:
View Results

• Locked thread
haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Professor Shark posted:

gently caress, reading this article about the show makes me realize that it's pretty much straight propaganda, no exaggeration.

Highlights: Seaons 5 Episode 5 : Loose Lips: The Liberal daughter learns the dangers of Liberalism and supports her grandfather's comments on police brutality (that they should beat up innocent people until they get the answers they want)

Like what the gently caress

Hah there's an actual scene where Tom Selleck and his mustache cruise around the city with the mayor and uses his special cop x-ray vision to spot some guy with a concealed gun from like, fifty feet away as some kind of justification for stop and frisk. Stupid lieberal judges are ruining this......What's that? Crime is down in NYC since they stopped stop and frisk? Uhhhh.....look a distraction! *flees*

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

haljordan posted:

Hah there's an actual scene where Tom Selleck and his mustache cruise around the city with the mayor and uses his special cop x-ray vision to spot some guy with a concealed gun from like, fifty feet away as some kind of justification for stop and frisk. Stupid lieberal judges are ruining this......What's that? Crime is down in NYC since they stopped stop and frisk? Uhhhh.....look a distraction! *flees*

THE SHOW SAID VIOLENT CRIME WAS UP 20% loving libtards don't know what numbers actually matter

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

This show gives baby boomers who still vaguely remember the days when people trusted and respected the police everything they need to reinforce their world view and not get too upset when unarmed civilians are shot dead by people in uniform who they were brainwashed as children to uncritically view as their betters.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Also the NYPD has been caught on numerous occasions juking crime stats irl

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Nonsense posted:

THE SHOW SAID VIOLENT CRIME WAS UP 20% loving libtards don't know what numbers actually matter
It is in LA.

That's probably the only time I'll defend the show, because there's likely not much more to defend.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
these liberal judges don't know what it's like out there

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Khorne posted:

It is in LA.

That's probably the only time I'll defend the show, because there's likely not much more to defend.

They do they frisk? And stop working?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In one recent episode, Detective Danny Reagan (Donnie Wahlberg) chases a black suspect through an apartment building—but while Danny’s holding him at gunpoint, the suspect throws himself out a third-story window, and then lies writhing on the ground below, screaming police brutality. As a crowd of angry black citizens gathers, we pan up to Danny’s confused face and presumably feel sympathy for the cop unfairly framed by the lying black suspect.

Later, things get worse for Danny, when a prominent black minister and community leader bribes a family of illegal immigrants with a new apartment so that their child—an eyewitness—will give false testimony against the officer. Things sure are tough for cops with all these black people out to get them!

These aren’t new developments on the show. In the second season, racial tensions run high in an episode titled “Black and Blue” when two officers force their way into the church of the same black minister, the Rev. Darnell Potter (Ato Essandoh), after an anonymous report of a man with a gun inside. Rather than addressing the reasons for the black community’s distrust of the police, however, the show reveals that Potter orchestrated the whole thing by compelling a mentally challenged young man to call in a false report in order to provoke an incident and get media attention for his cause. That’s right: The only reason the black community had problems with the police was because they were literally asking for it.

More relevantly to the current situation in New York, a fourth-season episode presents us with a painfully familiar story: A young black man is shot in the back by an officer who claims the man had a gun—and yet no gun is found on the body. At the end of the episode, Frank manages to set everything right by getting tough with the Latina owner of a local bodega, who confesses under his flinty gaze that she stole and hid the gun after the shooting because of her personal problems with the police.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2014/12/blue_bloods_starring_tom_selleck_the_nypd_white_viewers_and_black_new_yorkers.html

lol

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that the LAPD literally does stuff like this

quote:

A disturbing video emerged Friday showing two Los Angeles sheriff’s deputies killing a man after they had chased him for riding a bicycle while wearing headphones.

The incident took place more than a year ago with the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department initially telling the media that they shot and killed 23-year-old Noel Aguilar, a “known gang member,” after he pulled out a gun and shot a deputy.

But now a video shows the two deputies struggling to arrest Aguilar when one deputy pulls out his gun and shoots the second deputy before placing his gun back into its holster, then placing the blame on Aguilar.

“Where’s the gun?” Los Angeles sheriff’s deputy Jose Ruiz asked Aguilar seconds after his partner announced he had been shot.

“I don’t have any,” Aguilar said.

“I’ve been shot,” yelled Albert Murade for the second time.

“I didn’t shoot nobody,” responded Aguilar.

“I got shot in the stomach,” Murade continued.

“I didn’t shoot nobody,” Aguilar insisted.

Ruiz then pulled his gun back out and pointed it at Aguilar in an obvious attempt to shut him up.

“C’mon man, why you pulling a gun on me,” Aguilar asked.

Ruiz shoots him in the stomach, prompting Murade, who is already angry at having been shot, to fire three bullets into Aguilar’s back.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2015/12/los-angeles-deputy-shoots-partner-blames-suspect-both-kill-suspect-in-retaliation/

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Blue bloods is rovian as gently caress. gently caress Hollywood liberals

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
i saw the newst episode where the tom selleck character chews out some hippie liberal for burning the american flag in protest of war cause ARE SOLIDERS DIED FOR UR FREEDOM

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Goddamit people are stupid.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
God "Blue Bloods" is so awesome. I think in every episode involving black people, there is a power hungry minister who learns his lesson the hard way.

It's what I watch when I want to get my fascism boner going.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

There was an episode where Tom Selleck went to a college to tell all the kids that they were wrong and the police weren't brutalizing minorities but a college liberal yelled at Tom Selleck and he looked sad standing at the podium and then he walks away from those awful college students without saying a word. His liberal granddaughter comes to the conclusion that it's the liberal college students who are the real bad guys.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

"Cop-a-ganda" is a good term

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also I've learned so much about this show today and it's blowing my mind. I couldn't even start to imagine how bad it actually is.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Dogmeat posted:

There was an episode where Tom Selleck went to a college to tell all the kids that they were wrong and the police weren't brutalizing minorities but a college liberal yelled at Tom Selleck and he looked sad standing at the podium and then he walks away from those awful college students without saying a word. His liberal granddaughter comes to the conclusion that it's the liberal college students who are the real bad guys.

Hey, people yelling at you can hurt just as much as a gang of cops pinning you down in a bathroom and sodomizing you with a broken-off broom handle.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 2, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

These people... hate so much that they don't realize that they are what's wrong with society...

*Kills a Black with BB Gun in Walmart*

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Also those college kids are lucky, most grand juries probably wouldn't even indict if Tom Selleck had opened fire on them because "I felt my life was in danger, they were shouting!!!"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

haljordan posted:

Hey, people yelling at you can hurt just as much as a gang of cops pinning you down in a bathroom and sodomizing you with a plunger handle.

Also they are yelling at you about the stuff you actually did to an undeserving minority

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
There was one episode where big-daddy Reagan went to a psychiatrists or something and it was suggested that he take some medicine.

"Reagans don't take drugs," he said. And then spent the rest of the episode drinking scotch.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
sounds like this show is just a stdh chainmail come to life

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bollig posted:

There was one episode where big-daddy Reagan went to a psychiatrists or something and it was suggested that he take some medicine.

"Reagans don't take drugs," he said. And then spent the rest of the episode drinking scotch.

lol im not even mad at tom selleck i just want to throttle the writers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It sounds like everyone involved just want to take money (in the form of viewer numbers) from dumb Conservatives

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

It sounds like everyone involved just want to take money (in the form of viewer numbers) from dumb Conservatives

Also it's gotta be prime commercial time for Old Glory Insurance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, without a doubt the Dumb Old White People commercials go into over drive as soon as it comes on

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, without a doubt the Dumb Old White People commercials go into over drive as soon as it comes on

Essentially, this show was created to sell reverse mortgages.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet they can work the virtues of Reverse Mortgages into the show someone

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I do not understand reverse mortgages but every commercial for them makes me think it is very illegal.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Grandpa, you've worked hard all your life, bootstrapping your way from a beat cop to police commish, but are you sure you can afford this expensive RV to take your family on nice vacations and have family dinner at every stop?

Yes, son/daughter/Liberal Grand Daughter, you see I have a Reverse Mortgage

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I do not understand reverse mortgages but every commercial for them makes me think it is very illegal.

Banks really want you to do them, that should be enough for you to know it's a bad idea for you. That's why they go after old people.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Fred Dalton Thompson is roasting in hell right now for his role in shilling those fuckin' things.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Essentially, your home equity is converted into loan payments you get monthly from a bank, then, when you fall down the stairs and die, your house is sold and the bank gets the money to cover those payments.

Problems arise if run out of equity before you can fall down the stairs and die. I'd assume Tom Selleck comes to your house and shoots your now squatting rear end if that happens.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arian_Samurai posted:

Essentially, your home equity is converted into loan payments you get monthly from a bank, then, when you fall down the stairs and die, your house is sold and the bank gets the money to cover those payments.

Problems arise if run out of equity before you can fall down the stairs and die. I'd assume Tom Selleck comes to your house and shoots your now squatting rear end if that happens.

Most. of these people will be dead long before that happens, though

Aldo usually thw deal is you can live there until you die. Thy just calculate it so most people will die first and they keep the rest

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Can you imagine the shame you would feel living longer than your Reverse Mortgage lasts? All of a sudden YOU are the leech welfare loser

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
The Shield was like the only good Cop show that i can recall (except Cops of course but we're talking fiction here), im sure The Wire is really good though even though its a bit more than a cop show

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Professor Shark posted:

Can you imagine the shame you would feel living longer than your Reverse Mortgage lasts? All of a sudden YOU are the leech welfare loser

No more like you just hosed over the bank for once after a lifetime of it going the other way

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Like, the bank is essentially making a bet that you will die before a certain date so i imagine it feels pretty good to spite them "im still alive you fuckers!"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, I guess I would do the same. I can't imagine the show is going to change the mind of anyone who disagrees with it, so you can't be doing that much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

According to the patron saint of reverse mortgages Fred Thompson, they were signed into law by the president most concerned with the plight of the poors, Ronald Reagan

• Locked thread