Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

WampaLord posted:

A historic day, Day By Day is finally banned from the politoons thread.

RIP Fuckbarn. :911:

Daww, I'll miss Muir's insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

The Fuckbarn was a "storyline" in day by day, wherein our rugged self suficient hero bravely took over his Dad's ranch that was the size of half of texas for no money, kicked his dad out of the barn he was living it, and turned it into a country club. Of course the thread, after getting constantly blueballed by it, started speculating an exclusive club ina barn in rural texas would be used exclusively for gay sex.

I think my favorite part was him making his fifty year old wife dress in skimpy clothing to serve rich white men. Not to say older women can't be attractive, but I'm pretty sure their clientele want someone young and perky to slap the rear end of.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hogge Wild posted:

Actually this is not allowed.

?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Acid Haze posted:

Muir got banned? Well, I can't complain since I really only liked it around for parody edits but the constant bizarre nudity made that difficult.

I kind of wonder what will happen since this thread must have at least a third of his readers and several people who also post on his facebook account.

Oh well. Tits, Cowboys, getting cucked by the Trump is really no longer in the political cartoon spectrum.

Can we send the stupid vegan cartoons to the same garbage dump we sent Muir to? Please?

I agree. Veganism is even less political than MRAism.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Can't really ever ban Tinsley anyway, he's what started there being PoliToons threads.

I think anything that's published through traditional channels is immune from banning. It's only webcomics that are questionable. I still don't get how The World Today Just Nuts made the cut.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

There are two creation stories in Genesis. The first one shows God creating all humanity at once, the second shows Adam being made from dust and Eve from his rib. They don't really gel together and contradict each other in several places. A sensible way to read this is that the compilers of the Torah didn't have an opinion on whether they were "literally" true, but thought they were both important theological statements and should be included. People who call themselves "literalists" will insist that they're somehow both true and historically accurate.

Edit: I don't agree with Muir being banned, but eight pages of people arguing about whether he should have been banned is worse than any decision that could have been made. There, I've said my piece, and now I'm moving on.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 2, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Not canon.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

Here, just randomly, is a picture of President Dwight Eisenhower playing golf.

That said, Obama is bad and a Democrat and black, so the golf thing is much more nefarious now.

I know he's on his backswing, but it looks like he's about to hit one of the crowd with a golf ball. A Good News Photo.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

New Feature: 1992 Flashback

After years of free-loading off other people's work in this thread, I've decided to add some content. Given that this is a presidential election year, I thought it might be fun to look back to the election 24 years ago. I have a book collecting political cartoons chronicling the 1992 election in order along with commentary placing them in context of current events, so I was planning to post these over the coming year. Ideally, I would post them on the same date they originally were published, but my book doesn't date them so it may not be possible. I might be able to track down the dates when I have more time, but for starters we need to catch up.

Here's one from late 1991 from our friend Rob Rogers, and we can see right away one difference: We have a poo poo-ton of candidates from the out-of-power party today, while no one was eager to take on Bush I:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Ross Perot did an amazingly good job of splitting the right-wing vote.

Most analyses show Ross Perot's voters were pretty evenly split between people who would have otherwise voted D or R.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

You could say it tanked. <dons sunglasses, plays The Who>

On the other hand, Bush Sr didn't lack for bad support himself. People ignored Dan Quayle in 1988 because they didn't know who he was, but by 1992 it was obvious that he was an illiterate idiot who made Bush Jr look statesmanlike. This hurt the elder Bush's campaign in the same way Sarah Palin hurt that of John McCain, with the bonus that Quayle already was one septuagenarian's faltering heartbeat away from the Oval Office. (Yes, I know Bush wasn't 70 in 1992, but he would have been by the end of his second term.)

But the far right absolutely loved Quayle. He may have been out of his depth, but he was a true believer, mainly there to reassure conservatives who saw Bush as a milquetoast moderate. Wow, another Palin similarity.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

While I agree with all of the above, there was some anger at the end of Gulf War I - GHWB was seen to have essentially left the job unfinished. Saddam was still there, after all, and all he seemed interested in doing was making the occasional speech.

And Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney wisely pointed out that if we had invaded Iraq, we'd be stuck in an open-ended occupation trying to hold together factions that hated each other. It's a shame we didn't have someone like that in power in 2003 to talk Bush 2 out of his invasion plan.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

cram me sideways posted:

Let's be realistic, though: If any of the Republican candidates had a Bill Clinton in their pocket they'd be making him do circus tricks all goddamn day.

Sure, look how they flog zombie Reagan. The problem is they can't use anyone who is still alive, because they're either terribly unpopular (Bush II) or too moderate to support the current candidates (Bush I).

Jedit posted:

That's true, but the far right don't matter any more than the far left do because they'd each vote for their respective parties if Hitler stood for them against Jesus. What matters is the "thinking minority" in the middle who will change sides if they get worried enough.

No, if the wings don't think they're being represented, they'll stay home or vote third party. How many people have already said they'd vote for Trump on an independent ticket?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Flashback: 1992

First off, does anyone know how to track down the dates certain older cartoons were published? I'd like to be able to get exact dates on these, for better context. Failing that, I'll probably post one every three days or so. Today's is from a somewhat lefty cartoonist named Jim Morin. I don't think he's ever been featured here, but he's apparently been the cartoonist for the Miami Herald since 1978 and has won two Pulitzers (hasn't everyone?). All I can gather from today's post is that it's butt ugly:

In fairness, the problem might just be the scan into the book is really splotchy and hard to read. The book title, I think, is Final Exit: The How-to Guide For Suicide. Again, we see that Dems were very reluctant to take on George H.W. Bush.

Wikipedia posted:

After the successful performance by U.S. and coalition forces in the Persian Gulf War, President George H.W. Bush's approval ratings were 89%. His re-election was considered very likely. As a result, several high profile candidates, such as Mario Cuomo, refused to seek the Democratic nomination. In addition, Senator Al Gore refused to seek the nomination due to the fact his son was struck by a car and was undergoing extensive surgery as well as physical therapy.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 5, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Honestly, unless you go through the newspaper's microfilm archive, it's pretty difficult to figure out the exact date, although one can guess based on what current event's being discussed.

Unlike comic strips, editorial cartoonists rarely date their work, only adding the year at best.

In that case, since I have about a hundred, I'll just aim to do one every three days or so, and take us through the whole year.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, one cartoon at a time is the wrong way to do this. Particularly when all the commentary you can offer is "Uh, I dunno".

No, the whole point is to watch the race evolve over the course of the year in parallel to the current presidential race. Also, I never read more than the first couple of the endless walls you post and stubbornly refuse to timg despite repeated requests.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Shugojin posted:

e: The US President's pen and phone are more powerful and dangerous than a North Korean fusion bomb. AGC

So is Obama's "phone and pen" comment a sign that he's dictatorially overriding the other branches of government, or does it show that he's weak on the international stage because all he has is a pen and a phone? It could also be read as Obama is forced to deal with N. Korea himself because Congress won't do anything but complain.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

alnilam posted:

Even the movie 1776, which was a rara America patriotic bicentennial piece, showed how imperfect and contentious everything was at the founding of the country. Surely everyone has watched Mr. Feeny sing about how much compromise there was?

I think the artist also watched 1776, because he used the three main characters. He's thinking of the Declaration- Adams was in Europe when the Constitution was written. Also, if Jefferson and Franklin saw this, they'd say "seriously, you're still using that old thing?" Jefferson specifically said it should be completely rewritten every twenty years, and that expecting people to follow rules set by their ancestors was tyranny of one generation over future generations.

That Old Tree posted:

While they never merited more than a :rolleyes: the ACA did have some dorky ads. Perhaps most famous was ~pajama-boy~ who had the audacity of signing up for government healthcare in his pajamas with a mug of some soothing drink at hand! They made loving hay out of that for months.

At around that time, I remember Taylor Swift tweeted a picture of herself in pajamas, and some right-wingers (Freep?) were sure she was mocking pajama-boy because EVERYONE was intently following the story.

Sorry for responding from pages ago, but it's been a busy week and I just got caught up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Spoeank posted:

A bunch of people are going all internet justice after watching the Making a Murderer documentary that just came out on Netflix. Petitions to overturn the decision, stuff like that.
http://www.vox.com/2016/1/8/10734268/netflix-making-a-murderer-avery

Serial, look what you have begat!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

loquacius posted:

I like how right-wingers keep saying this as though it were self-evident and thus an actual argument, rather than ridiculous conjecture that only makes the slightest sense if you already buy all their talking points

Agreed, platitudes won't stop gun violence. That's why Obama is taking what concrete measures he can, while the opposition sticks to "a good guy with a gun."

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

alnilam posted:

lol people actually use the ignore list?

I used it for LeJackal, because all of his posts are basically the same.

chairface posted:

Not get attacked by police while protesting.

Are you white?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Tei posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUTEhEPONgc

I guest the cartoon can be read something like.. "Nobody understand my obvious draw of a boa devouring the republicans". Or something.
We are going to need more labels here.

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

memy posted:

I didn't realize that by having my legs spread on the subway I was bullying marginalized groups. Is my decision to move my legs back together when someone wants to sit in the seat next to mine also problematic?

If you see that other people are standing and still take several seats, then it's a problem. Otherwise, you're fine. I thought this was obvious.

I personally have never been offended by terms like "mansplaining," "manspreading," etc. I've always assumed that, unless I'm performing the action in question, it's not directed at me. On the other hand, it has made me consider that my compulsive need to explain things might come off as condescending to some people, which has gotten me to try to stop.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Flashback: 1992

Last time, we saw that, in the lead-up to the elections, very few Democrats were willing to take on George Bush. There were a handful of characters, many of whom we'll meet in future weeks, but many were interested early on in the young governor of Arkansas. George Fisher of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette did not seem particularly impressed.

I'm not sure the cartoonist understands how metaphors work. Okay, Bill Clinton is portrayed as a little boy who's used to tricycles inspecting a monster truck, clearly indicating he doesn't think Clinton is ready for the job. I guess he's just saying Clinton can't decide whether to "buy" a presidential campaign, but "kicking the tires" seems to imply that the presidency itself might be a scam or something. But in that case, shouldn't Clinton look suspicious, not mischievous? I'm probably overthinking it. The message isn't terrible- basically "does Clinton know what he's getting into?" It's not nearly as vicious as Clinton criticism would eventually become.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

"kicking the tires" is just something someone does when they're trying to decide whether or not to buy a car, there's no real implication of duplicity. Tires haven't been shoddy enough to deflate when kicked for probably a century, it's just a colloquialism.

The origin of the phrase is that you kick the tires to see if they're shoddy enough to deflate. But you're right, it's one of those things that's far enough from its origin that it's lost some of that connotation.

Selachian posted:

Searching around, it appears the cartoonist drew Clinton as a baby when he was running for governor, because he was only 32 at the time. When he got elected, the cartoonist upgraded him to a tricycle.

I'm impressed you were able to find that information so quickly.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 10, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Somfin posted:

It's a literary symbol, like 'hanging up' a cell phone call or using a floppy disc to represent saving data in a software program's GUI.

I've always been amused by how these phrases hang around long after their original meaning has become irrelevant. Like "rewinding" a DVD.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

If someone wants to see something they've gone past they'll often refer to it as 'rewinding', even with a DVD. I hadn't even realized that I do it until that poster pointed out how out of place it is.

:thejoke:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Depends on if trump goes full perot Galt and takes a huge chunk of the republican base into a third party. It's very unlikely but I think the odds of that happening are better than the powerball

Then we get to hear the conspiracy theories that Trump was a Democratic agent all along.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

Yes I have and I know Chick has that exact same mentality, but Adam seems to be trying really hard to be Oatmeal style webcomic hip dude and I really want to see him try and justify that with his weird logic.

Yeah, as batshit as Chick was, he seemed like he didn't care if you liked him or not. There was integrity to his work.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 10, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

inkblot posted:

I mean, the answer to this isn't really that hard: original sin. Even if that kindly old man is truly the kindest, gentlest person looking out for others and trying to help everyone, original sin is so terrible that he deserves eternal damnation. That's why we need Jesus. Only through Jesus is God willing to forgive the trespass that is original sin.

Now, the fact that God created both the concepts of eternal damnation and original sin in some kind of metaphysical entrapment is beside the point. God works in mysterious ways. Now worship Jesus or burn in hell, sinner.

I was surprised to learn recently just how many different interpretations of Adam and Eve there are, and how few of them support the "original sin, passed down to all of humanity" idea. Sure, Paul used that argument, but only as a piece of a much larger essay about the nature of sin and death.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

That's.... that's murder :stare:

Technically, I don't think anyone has died yet, but there are kids who will have lifelong neurological problems. Just imagine if a group of ISIS terrorists had dumped neurotoxins in drinking water. Do you think this would be the first you heard of it?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if I'm more depressed by the fact it happened or the fact that it apparently hasn't warranted a lot of media attention (I have been on holiday so maybe I just didn't notice?)

Maddow has been (rightly) fixated on it, but I don't know how much else nationally. I think there's an investigation by a federal prosecutor taking place.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This is a lot of fun- keep it up! At this time, I was involved, but I don't know if I was following this thread. Did this thread exist? Was it still the Mallard Fillmore mega-thread?

Free Drinks posted:

This is true in a sense, but it's more of a reference to the way Snyder ran his campaign when he was first elected. He ran on the platform of being a successful businessmen, he was the chairmen of Gateway, and that he could fix Michigan's financial woes. As you can see, it might not be the best idea to run a government like a business.

There have been recall petitions for Snyder that have been rejected partly for the reason that "the offenses alleged in the petition didn't happen in the governor's current term ". In other words, that since he chose the emergency city managers for Flint that made these really bad water choices during his first term, they shouldn't have an impact in having him recalled from his second.

What is it with tech company execs running for office?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Didn't Bowie once have sex with an underage groupie? Or was that just a rumor?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

But people under the red sun, we walk like this!

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

Jesus loving Christ, I thought you were kidding in some small part about that, but you're not. That is a depiction of actual events.

So this took place in Rock Hill, SC. I was living in Rock Hill on 9/11/01, and shortly after the attacks, the city limits signs added the phrase "A City that Has No Room for Racism," presumably in response to all the anti-Muslim animosity. I wonder if the signs are still there...

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

I'd like to point this out, since I don't think that it's really been called out enough:

Ramirez, the cartoonist for Investors Business Daily, labeled a bear as Economic downturn.

Ramirez, the STAFF CARTOONIST for an INVESTMENT PAPER, read chiefly by people that DO INVESTING, labeled a loving BEAR, the SYMBOL OF MARKET DOWNTURN, "economic downturn".

Let's all take a second and let that sink in for a moment.

Thank you.

I first thought the bear was Russia, though I probably would have figured it out even without the label.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

Considering how much Kirchen worships Pollard in his comics, I'm pretty sure it would be a porno.

I'm waiting for the wacky hijinks when Pollard steals Kirschen's stuff and sells it on eBay, then convinces him he did it for the good of Israel.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

Pretty sure they turned on Reagan too. That commie pinko Reagan.

Nah, since Reagan's dead, they can venerate him and pretend he was perfect without fear that he might contradict them.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Dazzling Addar posted:

I have naught but the deepest sympathy for the unfortunate draftees who must man the drone stations under pain of death. Surely nobody would volunteer for such butchery.

I found a cartoon that nicely sums up your position:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyC3rPDSSVg

• Locked thread