Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Spiffster posted:

No more pollard cartoons and no fuckbarn...

Eh, after he got paroled Kirschen still made a comic about how it was the worst and most restrictive probation ever so we'll probably get a few this year. Still though, we are free from Muir :gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Saint Sputnik posted:

One thing at a time. We finally got DBD banned, maybe by 2017 we'll be reborn into some fresh new memes.

I'll stop using AGC when someone comes up with a better shorthand for "This political cartoonist is loving terrible at expressing their ideals in artistic medium, something they ostensibly get paid for"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

It's probably the result of being too jaded but man I wish I could hate a politician the way Pope hates Tony Abbott :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OldMemes posted:

I wonder how all the difference cartoonists are going to react to the new Bundy situation? I'm thinking Asay would be loving it if he hadn't retired, with how much he fetishised the American Revolution in his work.

Asay would definitely do a comic lamenting how no one showed up to the second American Revolution (It Used To Be brave Americans in tri-corner hats standing up to redcoats. Now It's 10 brave Americans in a shack standing up to Obama's troops while the rest of the country looks bored and disinterested) but all the other conservative cartoonists probably can't denounce Bundy's kids fast enough.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

there wolf posted:

Was Branco the one some goon actually ran into in real life, and then mildly offended by insulting his cartoons?

I'm pretty sure it was Bok

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wanamingo posted:

Manspreading is also not a new problem.

It helps that when A.D Condo wrote that for The Outbursts of Everett True in 1906 people didn't call it "Manspreading" they just called it being a jackass on the bus (Or whatever old-timey words for "jackass" that one would use in 1906). It's just that now everyone on the internet has their own personal hugbox so when someone complains that I'm needlessly taking up space in public transportation I can count on a legion of followers to tell me I'm just keepin' it real

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Wanamingo posted:

using new terminology = your own personal hugbox ??

I'm saying the new terminology is an effect of douchebags telling each other they are not douchebags

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Somfin posted:

"Manspreading" is usually used as a way of telling people (men) that they are being jackasses, though? Not every new term is used defensively.

It's kind of nice to have a specific term for that specific kind of douchebag behaviour.

I've heard it used both defensively by jerks and offensively by good people so if some meme-ologist tells me who used it first I'll listen to them.

Then again this would be the second time I've started a derail over modern terminology so let me get ahead of it and say this probably isn't worth anyone's time :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

Hasn't the GOP been collapsing for the past like six years according to Animal Nuz?

Remember when he earnestly expected the Democrats to take back the House in 2014?

To be fair it really has been collapsing in on itself since around late 2006. The thing I disagree with Animal Nuz about is how much longer it will take to completely lose relevance, and I say we've got at least another 20 years of solid congressional majority.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

oddium posted:

please PLEASE no one provide context for this ever, i love it

Because I'm a fun-ruiner, animal bones ground into a fine powder can be a decent source of calcium if you don't have any milk available. There are long term health effects but no one knew about them until the 80's

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Yeah that is some old school conspiracy theorizing, the likes of which you almost never see in the 21st Century :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Council on Foreign Relations, a think tank that dedicates itself to finding the best way for America to make diplomatic ties with other countries. Most of their advice gets resoundingly ignored by people who are in a place to apply it, which is a shame because they're usually right about everything. Naturally certain cranks believe the organization is the spearhead of a globalist plot to turn us all into communists.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

The Librarians did this exact joke only in reverse, with the reveal that we used to be dinosaur people until someone tried to kill dinosaur hitler :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

TheDarkFlame posted:

Are you kidding me? Every single aspect of this is like something written by The Onion. I mean, come on it's literally called "white's boro"?

What the gently caress is wrong with your country. Actually, no, what the gently caress is right with it would be a better place to start.

Best part: That's not the original town seal, which was changed in the 70's to be less "Strangle-y"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Best day of the week:

Aww Kelly everyone knows it's the opposite God just needed Bowie to finish making the greatest band in the universe

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

loquacius posted:

I think someone in GBS said they had him playing Xbox or something at one point because that is more comprehensible to the average viewer than EVE Online

And Microsoft probably pays more in product placement money

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

CNN CALLED ME AN "ANGRY WHITE MALE" I'LL SHOW THEM ANGRY :bahgawd:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Cat Mattress posted:

Why is Hillary a "black female" in her dream?

I'm not sure if it was jokingly by Republicans or endearingly by tone-deaf Democrats but a bunch of people called Bill the first black president because he actually did things to fight racism

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

I love how after the ebolapocalypse never happened Ramirez still has the balls to panic over a new virus.

I'm still surprised no one in Ramirez's camp has started panicking about MERS. It's got "Middle East" right there in the title :freep:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xanderkish posted:

Aw, this is sweet. I agree, giant comic, we should be mindful of the gendered basis of our insults.

I... Kinda... Agree with this I guess. I mean yeah it's always good to think about why we use this word or that word to insult somebody for whatever reason, but then again

Moddington posted:

What a scraggly, unkempt hill to die on.

It's kind of dumb to use "Neckbeard" as a jumping off point when the artist also acknowledges how loving disgusting it is to use autism as an insult. Basically there are worse things to be called than neckbeard that hurt a lot more people emotionally.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

For me the weirdest thing about the robots in Day by Day is that they're all solar powered. I wouldn't have thought Muir would be pro green energy, but there ya go.

That's actually normal. Establishment republicans lose their poo poo at the sight of solar panels but hardcore conservative survivalist :freep: types love the promise of having a fraction of the convenience of 21st century living without having to rely on the grid.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Saint Sputnik posted:

Cmon no way is this dumb thing real

It is important to remember that in Ramirez's world Netanyahu's cartoon bomb drawings were a total success of foreign policy and not an unmitigated PR disaster :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

loquacius posted:

Is Madigan really a badass Dirty Harry type, because that's all Allie's caricature reminds me of

I wouldn't want to mess with Allie Madigan

Rich Miller posted:

the pile of political corpses outside Madigan's Statehouse door of those who tried to beat him one way or another is a mile high and a mile wide.

So yeah :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Kwyndig posted:

Isn't that also the one cited by those crazy racists who don't want to pay taxes? Sovereign citizen or something like that?

Technically they believe only the first 10 amendments are valid because reasons* so yes but they have issues with other amendments. However you probably don't hear them complain about the 12th amendment all too often :v:

*That's the answer to any question you have about Sovereign Citizen beliefs

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 27, 2016

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xander77 posted:

Buy some War Bonds, yo.

This cracks me up because the Germans... Were not good about this during WW2

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this a pro-Lincoln or anti-Lincoln cartoon?

edit: I mean is it saying "contested conventions can be good" or "oh god a contested convention is going to result in someone who will seek equal rights for nonwhites"?

Ramirez is one of the "We're the party of Lincoln, why can't we get black people to vote for us?" brand of Republican who also makes cartoons about how whichever unarmed dead black teenager totally deserved to die this week and never sees the irony.

So pro-Lincoln. As for the message itself he might be arguing that a good baptism-by-fire will turn Trump or Cruz into the second coming of Reagan fortold by :foxnews:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Nihilarian posted:

they're going to have a slaver and an abolitionist on the same bill?

It's a profound statement about America's cultural heritage :pseudo:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

Schilling crashed and burned a video game company, which I believe took down the devs of Rise of Nations with it, so I'll never forgive him.

EDIT: I was thinking of End of Nations. Whoops. Still Schilling is a terrible human being and I think we can all agree on that

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I dont know posted:

Rall is truly a treasure. It takes a special kind of arrogance to write an article directed at black people saying, "why aren't you doing what I want, I know what's best for you."

It's also weird he brings up the crime bill, but doesn't mention the fact that Sanders voted for it.

That is the most Ted Rall thing I have ever read and we just had a Ted Rall greatest hits album earlier this week :allears:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

loquacius posted:

Anytime someone in D&D tries to tackle the subject of "there are some individual ideas or groups under the vast broad umbrella of 'the Left' that are perhaps not constructive or healthy in every context" it never goes well

It helps that for every time someone on the left does something bad, someone on the right already did it ten times and never got a camera put on them

Basically the problem is that being the better person is hard and if being an angry screeching hate mob works so well for Fox News there's a strong temptation to try the same tactics.

If there's a solution to this problem, I really would like to hear it :smith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Don't worry Curt, now you're freer than ever :unsmith:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

So uh... Where can I get Seeds of Godlessness? Like can I just swing by the Lowe's or do I have to go to a specialty supplier?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

D.N. Nation posted:

Pssst, Payne: "Working class" involves many many many many many many more people than just "white West Virginians."

:ssh: That's always what it really means :ssh:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

LingcodKilla posted:

I picked Hawaiian restaurants on a easy to use metric. Higher weight of the local customer = better. Them big locals never let me down.

This worked perfectly for me when I went to Hawaii and I didn't even realize it until you posted it :psyduck:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Rorus Raz posted:

Noted summer movie Batman vs. Superman

Hollywood summer begins in March now and it's been that way for at least a decade. Don't ask how

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Forgive me if I haven't keep up as much as I should have but isn't the Orlando shooter a basic lone nut with an ideology as frankenstitched and conflicted as Christopher Dorner's? I mean the homophobic intent behind the shootings is a bit more concrete but even the FBI have debunked ties he between him an organized terrorism.

Yeah but he was vaguely middle-eastern so he's a terrorist. :freep:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

WarpedNaba posted:

Who is this guy? The new Ron Paul stand-in?

The presidential nominee for the Libertarian Party of America.

So yes. Ron Paul stand-in

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

seiferguy posted:

Remember that DWS was Hillary's co-campaign chair in her 2008 election. I mean, it looks bad, but this shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Yeah it's pretty drat shady but on the grand scale of political shadiness it barely registers above "Screen door." And it requires a very special kind of naivete to think this is going to cost Hillary a statistically noticeable amount of votes

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

psychofishhead posted:

Question. Is Stefan molyneux, the cultish anarcho-capitalist thats so far down the rabbit hole that he's one blow to the head away from telling people to kill their parents, seriously backing an insane authoritarian like Trump? Like I know the whole no government thing is a smokescreen and a means to the end of being free to gently caress over minorities but to just drop the pretense like that seems a bit much. Like, to anyone paying attention, all your talk about conflict resolution whatevers rings hollow when you're behind the guy that wants to expand libel laws to silence critics.

To be fair the core tenet of his vision for a perfect society can best be described as "Orewellian nightmare" only there's a CEO in charge instead of a monarch or president. He probably figures a Trump presidency would check a lot of really important boxes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

I dont know posted:

Not quite Bok, Hastert was serially raping children that were entrusted into his care.

Technically speaking he went to jail for tax reasons, namely the shady business of giving millions in hush money to his victims' families without anyone asking where the money came from. Which is not even close to technically the same as this week's bullshit talking point but Democrats bad Republicans good

Seriously what the gently caress? That's a new low for Bok and I did everything in my power to play devil's advocate here

EDIT:

Kwyndig posted:

It's actually common for pedos in prison to lie about their sentences, mostly because guards don't give a poo poo what happens to them, and even other criminals hate them.

But that just raises more questions. Like "Why even have Hastert in this cartoon?"

• Locked thread