Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hitler B. Natural posted:

WE ARE ANGRY ABOUT POLITICAL CARTOONS

WE ARE ALSO ANGRY ABOUT THIS ANGER

That's our secret. We're always angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

Much as I enjoyed mocking DbD, it really wasn't political, at least not anymore. On its best day, it was lovely self-insert fanfiction.

Let's be honest it was also that on its worst day.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spiffster posted:

Praying that trump splits the party again this year. :pray:

Also the infamous line "Read my Lips! NO...NEW...TAXES!!!" And then raising them anyway pissed of a lot of people.

NAFTA and a recession hitting toward the end of his presidency also didn't help. There were also a lot of people not happy with how the Gulf War was handled either. It was a pretty big poo poo storm all around.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

Lester did a similar cartoon, which is more explicit in its meaning.

I haven't actually heard of Bill doing anything recently, but the holidays kept me detached from the news so I dunno.

Bill seems mostly content to not even be on the radar these days. He also had heart surgery in 2010 so he's probably just hanging around being old these days. I mean the dude's almost 70 and was freaking president so if he wants to putter around and not really be doing anything I think he's earned it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

He gave a speech at the 2012 convention for Obama, and it went over really well so I wouldn't be surprised if he gave another this year.

On the other hand, I think Hillary wants to stand on her own and not appear to be riding Bill's popularity, so maybe she'll just have Obama give a speech which wouldn't be a terrible idea.

I don't think Hillary is ever going to escape that if for no other reason that the right will never, ever shut the gently caress up about it. We're going to see RWM comics come out about the fact that she's married to Bill until she dies or retires.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The right believes that any sex outside of marriage is inherently wrong and ends in every level of perversity by default. If you tolerate extramarital affairs it's a slippery slope toward tolerating pedophilia. It's also disturbingly common for them to believe that all the gays are automatically pedophiles too.

It's Satanic Panic level stuff again and the liberal idea of "consensual sex between adults is always OK" drives them insane.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dijon du jour posted:

Weeeeeell technically the lead levels weren't actually dangerously high... :eng101:

at the water purification plant, where they test the water. The lead later seeped into the water from the lead pipes that connect the plant to people's homes. :eng99:

Also the "running government like a business" is also probably a reference to how switching to the river water was described as a "temporary cost-cutting measure". Whoops.

"Running the government like a business" has been a GOP talking point for...decades, I think. That's just a prime example of the sort of thing that happens when you actually do that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cabinet posted:

I really love the idea of posting election year politoons this year. With context they are so interesting to look at. Seeing the kneejerk reactions to events that are now forgotten is hilarious.

Eh, it gets pretty boring after you've seen enough elections. It's very frequently "OUR GUY GOOD THEIR GUY BAD" stuff with little actual substance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oddium posted:

please PLEASE no one provide context for this ever, i love it

That looks like WW2 propaganda that was asking people to round up whatever useful materials they had for the effort. It was incredibly common at the time and your average working stiff probably didn't have the faintest clue what was actually needed for war. In the States, for example, there was a huge campaign asking for women to donate their nylons because nylon is actually a pretty drat useful material. However, when people thought "nylon" they mostly though "stockings." People were probably just throwing bones away after eating chickens or steaks or something and the government was like "hey guys we can use those!" and put up posters to that effect.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ManlyGrunting posted:

Didn't all of this "college students are idiot gay babies" poo poo start because a football team refused to play due to all of the pervasive racism around and outside of campus (I want to say Missouri), and the only thing a lot of the right wing seems to give a poo poo about colleges is football? Just checking because a lot of right wing talking points seem to have straight up forgotten it, and the idea of Tinsley being unusually well-versed and understanding is deeply frightening concept to me.

e: I'm in college and a lot of my family either has had a lot of post-secondary schooling, is currently in school or is working in the system and every time this ugly hateful willfully ignorant poo poo comes up I want to burn some rear end in a top hat's house to the ground.

Football, especially college football, is actually tied up in a lot of controversy and goings on these days. It's coming under fire for...I don't know, dozens of reasons at this point but because it's MANLY and COOL and PROFITABLE and AMERICAN the right doesn't want any criticism for it. Reports started coming out that having huge guys slam into each other as hard as possible all day fucks up their brains so the right started screaming "pfah, stupid babies can't handle injuries." That incident you mentioned they weren't happy about either. Plus it turns out that college football is a massive cash cow for basically everybody but the students. Even the schools themselves sometimes lose money on college football.

Football is utterly hosed from top to bottom but of course fixing it would involve changing things and the right hates change. Plus it turns out they're big fans of paying people to maim each other for entertainment, apparently.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kakairo posted:

The cartoonist has no idea how rear view mirrors work.

No, it's a conspiracy comic.

Have you ever seen Hillary and Bernie in the same place at the same time? WELL, HAVE YOU?!?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Sin of Onan posted:

Well Hillary did Benghazi, obviously. And something about cattle futures, but I'll admit I don't actually know what that means. Also her husband cheated on her, which is her fault somehow? I'm trying to remember all the right-wing talking points I've learned from politoon threads, but it's a struggle.

As for Sanders, I've no idea, but if he does win the primaries, I'm sure the Republican hate-machine will think of something.

The cheating thing is spun as "she couldn't please her husband how do you expect her to please America?" because that makes sense somehow? I guess?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

This one is one of those "literally opposite of reality" cartoons. To be more accurate it would have to be a Republican saying "Just because they say they won't bite us doesn't mean they actually won't, right?"

Eh, it's just the right picking their new Great Enemy. For a while it was Islam in general but that didn't seem to stick as well as they'd like so now they're picking Iran specifically.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CrowsNestMutineer posted:

I wonder if he even knows that ultrasounds are used for things other than pregnancy-related reasons.

They don't care; they believe that if you show more women their babies abortions will stop.

Ignoring that a pretty big number of abortions happen very, very early in the pregnancy. Late-term abortions are pretty uncommon.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

I think Ramirez has been slowly becoming Gorrell lately

He's pandering to the right, though. He could literally just write HILLARY BAD on a napkin and it would be met with acclaim.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

prefect posted:

Rall's not entirely wrong, but that electoral map is what it always looks like in New York -- there are tons and tons of democrats down by the city, and the rural upstate areas go more republican.

Also, politics is not ever about "fair fights". Ted needs to get over that.

That's a common right wing talking point, though. You'll see maps circulating around social media that are all "look at how Republican the nation is!" ignoring the fact that most Americans live in cities at this point. The counties that vote heavily Democrat are generally very densely populated while areas that vote Republican are often counties large by area that have low density; some have massive areas of no density with only a few people.

"Carrying a few counties" is also really all you need in New York when you consider that the state has about 20 million people but 8.5 million of them live in NYC. As America becomes increasingly urban you're going to see more and more elections being carried heavily by urban votes and the right screaming about how rural areas are "the real America."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

Nahh, poo poo like that's got a proud tradition including things like voter suppression in East Tennessee to ram secession through and the subsequent military occupation, the Fugitive Slave Acts making GBS threads on free states, and the confederate constitution mandating the legality of slavery. It was always there even when they built the local control lie around it.

That's politics for pretty much the entirety of politics. "I absolutely always believe in X and we must do X at all times. Except when X doesn't benefit me."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Air is lava! posted:

Why yes, putting some bigger regulation on the purchase of stocks would hinder rampant speculations. This might prevent economic bubbles, which in turn would boost the economy.
Does Tinsley think that the concept of economy equivalent to the price of stocks? Because that is an incredibly naive assumption.

I think he believes in the right wing "literally all regulations are inherently bad and awful because ARE FREEDUMZ1!!!" nonsense.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

Hahhaaha WHAT WOULD THE REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY?

Carpet bomb the nation into a flat pile of rubble, I imagine.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Starshark posted:

They had their chance under Bush. If it was an option, they'd have done it.

The GOP was less bloodthirsty then and Bush was pushing for winning with positive thinking instead of what would actually accomplish anything. At the time Islamophobia hadn't taken root yet; now the GOP would push for a high-intensity war with a great deal of collateral damage. Then the strategy was lower-intensity faffing about rather than actual war.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

You know what a true believer looks like? Rick Santorum. His wife had carried a baby to term that they knew was incompatible with life, then took it home after it was "born" and played with it and dressed it up for a few hours before it died.

You know what Cruz did? Got the government shut down in a move everyone KNEW would only harm the GOP long term and wouldn't achieve any of their goals, but in the short term got him Tea Party cred and established himself as an outsider who was a "true" conservative, in the process hurting an incredible amount of people. Cruz is a motherfucker.

To make matters worse he knew the shutdown was unpopular with literally everybody and wouldn't actually fully happen but arranged it so that it looked like he'd torpedo the whole government if he didn't get his way without ever being at risk of actually accomplishing it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

He's not even trying

You say that like he ever was.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

I mean, sure, 90% seems like a lot at first glance. People just forget that you don't get to that kind of money without having the resources to find creative ways of bullshitting the taxman.

The big issue is that that old "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" quote just never quits being appropriate. Very few of us will ever get to the point where we'd be paying 40% of our income on tax. Aside from that you only get taxed high rates on income you make beyond a certain point; the 39.6% tax rate only applies to money made beyond $415,000 a year. Even if you make $500,000 you absolutely won't actually be paying that rate as income below that amount is taxed less.

Very few people I've met understand how progressive tax rates work. All they can ever seem to think is "well when I'm finally rich I don't want to pay 90% of my income to poor moochers who don't want to work."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rorus Raz posted:

Haven't there been psychological studies done on the wealthy that shows money is almost like a drug for them, and no amount of income is ever enough in their eyes

Yes. Money is a bizarre thing; increasing your income does increase your happiness up to a certain point. At around $70,000 a year it levels off pretty hard. Poverty obviously makes you miserable but beyond a certain point you have more than enough money to fill every need, blow on stupid poo poo, and go cool places from time to time. Beyond that there are diminishing returns. Like having a boat is cool and great. A boat is a money hole sure but boats are fun and make people happier. But having two boats doesn't make you twice as happy as having one. So then you have people trying to fill that gap.

Plus beyond a certain point your wealth becomes a kind of score; it turns into an arcade game. People become utterly obsessed with having the highest score at the expense of all else but it doesn't make them that much happier. Making $1,000,000 actually doesn't make you over 100 times as happy as $70,000 so people tend to think "I need to make more!" For many people jealousy kicks in and they just must have more boats than their neighbor.

Most people, once they get to a certain level of wealth, just don't feel the need to push more as well. Most people just aren't going to make that push to a $200,000 salary. Most people, once they find themselves a comfortable place that funds the lifestyle they want, just kind of sit at that point until they retire. It takes a special kind of rear end in a top hat to start saying "I NEED MORE I MUST HAVE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE" all day every day.

I mean I have no clue what I'd do with a seven figure income. I seriously don't.

I forget what author said it but he was being interviewed and was asked about money. It was pointed out that a particular CEO made more in a year than that author made ever on his most popular book. The guy said "I have one thing he never will; enough."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

The kind that prefers the option that makes the most fiscal sense.

But then again if a person has fiscal sense to start with they're probably not playing the lottery so... :shrug:

Most people I know that play the lottery throw a few dollars at it every now and again, especially when it gets big. I've bought maybe $50 of tickets total in my entire life.

Not everybody that plays loses hundreds or thousands of dollars on scratchies every year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CuwiKhons posted:

Also remember that the Founding Father's believed firmly in the "One Drop" rule which meant that if you had a non-white person anywhere in your family history, you weren't considered white, even if you were the pastiest person in the room.

I still hear people arguing in favor of that from time to time. Which is stupid; we're all African. "White" effectively doesn't exist by that logic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

Alito got confirmed 58-42 you dumb hack.

It wasn't 100-0. That's the problem.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

colonel_korn posted:

I think the perception among some people is that Kasich has no chance of winning and is preventing the establishment vote from coalescing behind Rubio and building some ~*Marcomentum*~ that would surely result in voters abandoning Trump, or something.

To be honest I don't know how anybody can make heads or tails of the GOP right now. The party is such a schizophrenic disaster I don't think even the GOP knows what the GOP is doing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xanderkish posted:

I'm not so surprised. A lot of Kreider's work has this undercurrent (or overcurrent) of misanthropy and hate. You can see it in how he draws most everyone. Most of the time it works because it's funny, but when it doesn't it just makes him look bitter and mean. Kind of reminds me of George Carlin, actually.

Comedians tend to be more depressed, cynical, and unhappy than average. Comedians also tend to be incredibly insightful.

Are they related? Probably; the best comedy requires a great deal of insight into what's going on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Larch posted:

One thing to remember about the Ussher Chronology is that, while many YECs use its timetable (some instead use 10,000 years), it's not really comparable to creationism itself. It's completely wrong, but that's not due to any flaws in reasoning or methodology. It's because it's based off of incorrect premises. For what it is it's brilliantly done, and there's a decent argument to be made that it qualifies as protoscience.

A lot of that actually doesn't even go back to somebody wanting to figure out how old the world is but the approximate year the Bible started. The guy was basically like "I kind of want to know about when the story begins" and did a bit of napkin math based on generations and such relating to known historical events. He was then like "well the story the Bible tells starts around this year but we can't really tell if that's 100% accurate or even if that's when the world was created so like...you know, not a huge deal."

Eventually somebody later decided that this meant God created that world in that exact year as Earth was. Later people started arguing that carbon dating and fossils were just how God made things and you can't prove He didn't do it that way so gently caress you I'm right.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

prefect posted:

This judge is someone that Orrin Hatch recently said would be a wonderful consensus pick, but of course Obama would nominate some wild-eyed leftist. Eagan is saying that Obama is calling their bluff.

To be honest if I was Obama I'd just nominate people by the dozen. "I dug up a loving hundred perfectly fine candidates and you guys can't find one you'll even consider?"

The ultimate troll would be to just nominate McConnell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

This is the very colorful face of competitiveness. It's the cost China paid in order to take all your jobs. You still want your jobs back?

Yes. Because we can create more job cleaning that poo poo up and jobs involved in making sure that poo poo doesn't happen. This group of people makes things, this other group of people ensures that that process doesn't kill everything in the river.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

This is a viewpoint consistent with your username, so carry on, my good sir-or-madam.

So explain to me how that's wrong. Seems reasonable to me. It isn't like people are going to quit buying plastic trinkets any time soon.

Everything people buy has to be made somewhere.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

It's not going to work for the exact same reason these jobs have been outsourced in the first place: businesses get bigger profit margins if they pollute with wild abandon than if they try not to pollute too much. You'd have to go full-on protectionism to make regulated, controlled domestic industries competitive with unregulated, uncontrolled foreign industries. And now you're gonna have to argue with millions of orthodox economists explaining that protectionism is always wrong and never works and that trying to force businesses to do something uncompetitive such as not polluting will cause the economic ruin of your country because that's the Law of the Free Market, and what are you, a communist?

Yes. I am, actually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The funniest thing is they're complaining nonstop about political prisoners when demanding that every person they disagree with politically gets put into prison.

I don't think an ironicat big enough exists. Just last week they were hammering on "OBAMA IS A TRAITOR JAIL HIM!!!!!" as hard as they could.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Hydronium posted:

For people who keep telling us how America is #1 at everything, conservatives sure do seem to like portraying the rest of the world as terrifying all-powerful supermen.

MIGHTY ISIS IRAN CUBA HUMILIATING US :ohdear:

It's just straight up 1984 bullshit again. The enemy is simultaneously so staggeringly incompetent that they'll defeat themselves any second, making victory easy and assured but also so terrifyingly power that they might win any second if we don't throw everything we have at them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

I know that he's essentially just cheering that the usual "good job dunking on idiot liberals, lol", but is there possibly a non-bigoted point that he thinks he's making?

I mean, he hasn't ever been shy about his racism, hatred of "kids these days", or callousness towards the poor, but I still kind of hope that he at least believed himself to have a point beyond "I'm an rear end in a top hat".

He's suggesting that Democrats only win elections ever because they fix them. It's pretty common to suggest that Democrats have dead people vote or their voters manage to vote multiple times. Ignoring that voter fraud almost never happens and it always seems to be the GOP that's loving up elections.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

I told my brother the story of the Watergate scandal this afternoon and he was similarly incredulous that you'd ever unironically name your organization that.

Nixon was basically a cartoon villain made flesh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Fojar38 posted:

This always bothered me too and I wonder how a biblical literalist would BS their way through it

Depends on who you ask but you get things like "well God put it there" or "well it was just built while the story was happening."

Because I guess four people can become enough people to build, and populate, a city in the space of a few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TVs Ian posted:

I think people are just really afraid of a possible Trump presidency.

A lot of it also has to do with where the funding is coming from. Generally speaking at this point billionaires basically own the entire political process; neither party can get somebody elected without a ton of financial backing.

Bernie is doing well enough to actually possibly win the presidency without that and is pointing out how hosed up America is politically and economically right now. The obscenely wealthy and powerful that want to be more obscenely wealthy and powerful really, really hate that. There's a real effort to crush the ground swell of "we, 99% of Americans, are loving pissed about how poo poo is going" that is failing pretty badly, especially in light of the trash fires that Republican-run states are turning into.

A lot of people are luke warm on Hillary at best while Bernie is out there saying "hey we gonna fix this poo poo."

• Locked thread