Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

My friends, from 1988 until 1999, there was a little show that touched all of us in one way or another. A show that showed all of us just how fun bad movies could really be if you had some friends to watch them with you...or at least a pair of snarky robot sidekicks. And now, almost 17 years later, we stand here about to receive the greatest gift we could have ever asked for. But let's cut to the chase.

I've been living under a rock for the past 30 years, what is Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Well, I'm glad you asked. MST3k follows a relatively simple premise: A mad scientist decides that in order to rule the world he has to suck out everyone's will to oppose him by subjecting them to the worst movie ever made. But in order to find that movie, he first sets up a test subject in orbit around Earth. That test subject takes parts of the satellite he is held hostage within and builds robot companions to sit through the movies with. A series of misunderstandings occur which allow the original test subject to escape the satellite, forcing the scientist to replace him with a guy he got from a temp agency. Eventually, the scientist's mother takes over the experiment along with her sidekicks, a super-intelligent gorilla from the future and a omnipotent sort-of-all-knowing pasty guy with a brain in a bowl.

Bottom line, schlubs are sent into space to watch the best worst movies of all time. And some of the absolute worst films of all time, I'm looking at you, Monster-A-Go-Go. And it's been immensely influential, popping up in things as random as Futurama to Arrested Development....and what may be the most out of left field reference of all goddamned time.

Your premise interests me. Where is a good place to get started on this series?

Glad you asked. Really, you can start in just about any era, whether it be right at the beginning in Season 1, or when the series was sort-of-not-really-rebooted on the Sci-Fi channel in Season 8. Personally, I recommend starting earlier, and getting a feel for the show before you tackle some of the truly legendary terrible movies the series featured. No man should venture into the depths of Manos: The Hands of Fate unprepared. No matter what, you'll start to pick a favorite era for each of the hosts.

Ok, so what are some episodes you recommend from each of these eras?

Well, that's gonna differ from person to person, but I'll sum up my own personal picks of good entry-level episodes.

The Joel Era

Featuring: Joel Hodgson as Joel Robinson, Kevin Murphy/J. Elvis Weinstein as Tom Servo, Trace Beaulieu as Dr. Clayton Forrester/Crow T. Robot, Frank Conniff as TV's Frank

The Crawling Eye
Robot Monster
Godzilla Vs Megalon
Gamera (and all the sequels)
The Amazing Colossal Man & War of the Colossal Beast
It Conquered the World
Teenagers from Outer Space
Bride of the Monster
Eegah!

The Mike Era

Featuring: Michael J. Nelson as Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo/Professor Bobo, Trace Beaulieu as Dr. Clayton Forrester/Crow T. Robot, Bill Corbett as Brain Guy/Crow T. Robot, Frank Conniff as TV's Frank, Mary-Jo Pehl as Pearl Forrester.

The Brain That Wouldn't Die
Beginning of the End
Zombie Nightmare
MST3K The Movie/This Island Earth
Revenge of the Creature
Space Mutiny
Werewold

Joel's era as host does have more jumping-on points, but honestly, you can't go wrong with This Island Earth.

Hang on, does the thread title say something about a "revival"? What's going on there?

drat right there's a revival happening! With that, we begin the "Jonah Era" of the show. Show creator and original host Joel Hodgson announced a Kickstarter drive in November of 2015 to fund a new season of the show, with the hope that it might be picked up by one of the networks or streaming services. The drive raised over 6.3 Million Dollars, making the MST3k Revival the largest Film/Video Kickstarter of all time. Preproduction starts January 4th, 2016 with a target of 12 13 14 New Episodes with the new cast...and who are these lovely people?

Well, we have stand-up Jonah Ray as Jonah Heston, Hampton Yount as Crow, Baron Vaughn as Tom, Felicia Day as Kinga Forrester (daughter of Clayton), and Patton Goddamned Oswalt as TV's Son of TV's Frank! In addition, many celebrity fans of the show have expressed interest in appearing during host segments such as Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Bill Hader, and - no joke - Mark Hamill! Once we have an actual airdate start, the OP will be updated with such.

How can I get caught up on the old episodes?

Well the good people at Shout! Factory regularly issue boxsets of at least 4 episodes a few times a year (generally you get 2 Joel and 2 Mike episodes per), and are now re-releasing the older sets originally published by Rhino Video. In addition, you can buy episodes from iTunes...but then they only work on your iOS device. For more flexibility, I personally recommend either the DVD's, or the good people and former cast members/writers of MST3k at RiffTrax release a new digital episode of classic MST every Monday for about $10 USD. Finally, you can go to The Official YouTube Channel to stream select episodes for free. (My advice is to turn annotations off because holy poo poo do they get inane and annoying.)

So please, sit back, grab some friends, catch up on one of the greatest shows of all time. Around here we mostly just quote it endlessly, with occasional interludes, but with work on the new episodes starting soon, likely coming out sometime this new year, we all have something to look forward to.

Wait, if they're on a satellite, where do the air and food come from?

Buddy, it's a television program. Calm down.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

We put out faith in Blast Hardcheese!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

Ooooooh, I hates dat varmit!!!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

2DCAT posted:

Ooooooh, I hates dat varmit!!!

Knew 'im? He was delicious!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
C'mon, I teleported! That was neat!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Map Israel? I believe Israel has been fairly well mapped already.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a spaceman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watch out for snakes!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not allowed to talk to people who aren't in the movie.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MrAristocrates posted:

I'm not allowed to talk to people who aren't in the movie.

Goodbye Joe!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
MY SKULL!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You know what? SCREW YOU, GREENLAND!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

You know what? SCREW YOU, GREENLAND!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Look! Polish!

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

HAHAHAHA. No seriously, you look great.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Nassau? In the Bahamas?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

We like it very much.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Does it matter that the spider just ate him with its butt?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Why am I dubbed? :downs:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Every frame looks like someone's last-known photograph.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Their car has like 50 cigarette lighters.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Dat was a good crap.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Well let's start mopping the ceiling! :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

He'll die in the vacuum
He'll burn on re-entry...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pinwiz11 posted:

He'll die in the vacuum
He'll burn on re-entry...

Douglas was pear-shaped, very short, and stood the whole way.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Mitchell." Even his NAME says "Is that a beer?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Blasphemy!

Spanking time!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
You are full of crap beyond your years, kid.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
BUZZ OFF KID!!!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Any of you Euro-freaks speak English?

Let's get one thing straight: we're speakin' English.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I bet nobody scrolls up this cinema.

-------------------

Also, if you aren't aware Ben Solo's HD remaster of Manos: The Hands of Fate is now available for purchase on Blu-Ray (and DVD). He also has a new Kickstarter (with 28 hours remaining) to to restore The Atomic Brain in 4K (with a 4K digital download + 1080p Blu-Ray as one of the reward tiers) that will also include a bonus non-restored SD digital download of the German television production of Hamlet, the only film featured on MST3K which has never been released uncut on home video.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

watch out for snakes, new thread

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The tall jokes are funny, but they hurt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DEEP HURTING

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Midjack posted:

DEEP HURTING

Rock climbing, Midjack, ROCK CLIMBING!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Hopefully there won't be any smelly disgusting anteaters in this thread.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Powered Descent posted:

We like it very much.

We like it VERY MUCH.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm Mighty Jack, and I make my own gravy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hopefully there won't be any smelly disgusting anteaters in this thread.

This thread already has the bacony stink of Canada all over it

• Locked thread