Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coolguye posted:

You're talking about 'combatting misinformation' (looooooooooooooooool, chill out) but you're the one producing most of it. This game is challenging but it's not complicated. Stop making it complicated.
yer mum's not complicated *ticks yer mum box*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actual thing, I remember trying the Justice once when I unlocked it and thinking "gently caress me this thing runs out of ammo WAY too fast." I guess I just need to learn to be more precise with it, or something?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ciaphas posted:

Actual thing, I remember trying the Justice once when I unlocked it and thinking "gently caress me this thing runs out of ammo WAY too fast." I guess I just need to learn to be more precise with it, or something?

The Justice is basically useless without the upgrades to increase the ammo capacity.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fangz posted:

The Justice is basically useless without the upgrades to increase the ammo capacity.

This.
If a gun has an upgrade for ammo, then your not going to be able to use it effectively until you get that upgrade.

Unless you're the type to die, alot. Because that's free ammo right there.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

There's a difference between aiming at the center (which you should do) and always taking precision shots (which is situational).

You're using stuff saying you should do the first to say you should always do the second, which is what I'm saying is misleading. Burst fire weapons have a very good place controlling chaff.

You're also confusing glancing hits with hitting armor. Hitting armor will do 0 damage, and you use a bug warrior in your example, which we've already established is the race with the most armor rolling around.

You're talking about 'combatting misinformation' (looooooooooooooooool, chill out) but you're the one producing most of it. This game is challenging but it's not complicated. Stop making it complicated.

Where am I saying you should always be taking precision shots? Only against Grotesques, if I recall. More generally all I was saying is to keep calm and pick your targets. I'm also not confusing a glancing hit with hitting armor because I looked at the in-game manual and they are the same thing. Maybe you are confusing armor with heavy armor? (Links provided.) I tested against a bug warrior because the only thing I needed to test was whether a glancing hit dealt any damage at all. I already knew that you could inflict glancing hits against all the enemies I mentioned (with the exception of the Grotesques because they are the only enemy I mentioned that does not have any armor at all).

The game is wonderfully complicated. Reloading takes variable amounts of time depending on your character state. Every action you can perform has it's own animation that cancels a reload. There's a huge level of strategy on where to throw reinforce beacons depending on your current tactical goal. And every weapon is viable but fills a different role. The game is also brute forcible; a player can ignore virtually all of the depth on display and shoot bullets at hordes to win missions. But I figure anyone who's actually discussing the game in terms like "how does this weapon compare" is willing to look at the complicated guts and progress beyond using a magazine on every patrol.

The knowledge that picking yourself up after getting downed or crawling to safety are the worst things to try is great. That tossing a reinforce beacon in the wrong direction can get you trapped and killed is great. The way fresh players ignore hellpods and dropships, new players shy away in fear, and veterans plant their boots inches from impact is incredible. I get a kick out of all of this because, to me, it all seems like part of the big Starship Troopers joke that the game is making at every possible moment. So the fact that enemies retain 86% combat effectiveness against limb shots is hilarious. Aim for the center, and put them down for good.

Ciaphas posted:

An unupgraded Justice does not compare favorably against an upgraded Liberator. But with the recoil absorber you can tap fire your way through a magazine at about the same fire rate as a sickle trying to overheat without losing much accuracy. And with the penetrator rounds you have piercing to kill entire spawns of enemies with a few shots. The expanded magazine gives you enough damage per reload to kill any enemy vulnerable to small arms fire, but some of the (physically) larger enemies will require critical damage the whole time.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

TheBlandName posted:

I looked at the in-game manual and they are the same thing.

I don't even play this game (yet), but it seems clear to me that those two things are not the same. Armor might cause deflections if you don't nail it straight-on. However, any shot that comes in at an angle has a chance to be a glancing hit, regardless of whether or not armor is present.

Coolguye, should I play this game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Coolguye, should I play this game?
yes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheBlandName posted:

Where am I saying you should always be taking precision shots? Only against Grotesques, if I recall. More generally all I was saying is to keep calm and pick your targets. I'm also not confusing a glancing hit with hitting armor because I looked at the in-game manual and they are the same thing. Maybe you are confusing armor with heavy armor? (Links provided.) I tested against a bug warrior because the only thing I needed to test was whether a glancing hit dealt any damage at all. I already knew that you could inflict glancing hits against all the enemies I mentioned (with the exception of the Grotesques because they are the only enemy I mentioned that does not have any armor at all).

The game is wonderfully complicated. Reloading takes variable amounts of time depending on your character state. Every action you can perform has it's own animation that cancels a reload. There's a huge level of strategy on where to throw reinforce beacons depending on your current tactical goal. And every weapon is viable but fills a different role. The game is also brute forcible; a player can ignore virtually all of the depth on display and shoot bullets at hordes to win missions. But I figure anyone who's actually discussing the game in terms like "how does this weapon compare" is willing to look at the complicated guts and progress beyond using a magazine on every patrol.

The knowledge that picking yourself up after getting downed or crawling to safety are the worst things to try is great. That tossing a reinforce beacon in the wrong direction can get you trapped and killed is great. The way fresh players ignore hellpods and dropships, new players shy away in fear, and veterans plant their boots inches from impact is incredible. I get a kick out of all of this because, to me, it all seems like part of the big Starship Troopers joke that the game is making at every possible moment. So the fact that enemies retain 86% combat effectiveness against limb shots is hilarious. Aim for the center, and put them down for good.

An unupgraded Justice does not compare favorably against an upgraded Liberator. But with the recoil absorber you can tap fire your way through a magazine at about the same fire rate as a sickle trying to overheat without losing much accuracy. And with the penetrator rounds you have piercing to kill entire spawns of enemies with a few shots. The expanded magazine gives you enough damage per reload to kill any enemy vulnerable to small arms fire, but some of the (physically) larger enemies will require critical damage the whole time.

same

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i blow up aliens

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Here is what I have learned about enemies in Helldivers:

With enough democracy, anything can be liberated. Is something not democratic enough? Apply more freedom.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
This game reminds me of Alien Swarm but with a world map. I am really glad I picked it up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CoffeeBooze posted:

This game reminds me of Alien Swarm but with a world map. I am really glad I picked it up.

Agreed. I loved Alien Swarm, and this not only fills the niche but overflows it with FREEDOM and DEMOCRACY.

It's the best parts of Alien Swarm and Starship Troopers with 1984 waving maniacally in the background :allears:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, the incredibly over the top jingoism of this game just slays me, straight from the moment I realize our home is called SUPER EARTH®. :allears:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
my only real complaints about the game are pretty much as follows; 1.) the area shown onscreen often feels too small and crowded, especially with a full 4-man team(I'm sure this is at least partially intentional), which leads into 2.) enemy patrols are way too eager to shoot off alarm flares, and like 80% of the time they're pretty much almost entirely off screen so you rarely have time to react properly before they shoot it off, 3.) the map not being part of the hud and instead having to be brought up manually is kinda irritating, especially how it relates to points 1 & 2, and lastly 3.) pretty much all the cool Stratagems having either way too long of a cooldown, and/or are limited in use, makes it kinda hard to see why one would want to actually bother using most of them(Strafing Run is a rare exception to this and it's kinda garbage to actually use as the combination of inputting the code, aiming and then throwing the beacon, and then waiting for it to go off means it rarely ever hits anything)

I'll note that this is just how things have been for me so far, I'll admit I'm probably wrong about most of this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

First pubbie experience: Wanted help with a tougher mission so we set the game to public for the first time. Player lands on my mech that was parked while I was doing an objective, says "lol gently caress your mech" and then does nothing for 15 seconds before leaving :thumbsup:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gestalt Intellect posted:

First pubbie experience: Wanted help with a tougher mission so we set the game to public for the first time. Player lands on my mech that was parked while I was doing an objective, says "lol gently caress your mech" and then does nothing for 15 seconds before leaving :thumbsup:

hope you reported him for being an enemy of democracy

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Any weapon without a bayonet is no weapon at all.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

drrockso20 posted:

I'll note that this is just how things have been for me so far, I'll admit I'm probably wrong about most of this

I think stratagems are just a matter of getting used to the buttonmash sequences and utilizing the minimap before calling them up to know where-ish to throw them. Was getting carried by some rank 20+ goons last night and they were very fast and mostly on point with them compared to my noob rear end :kiddo:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I agree with your first two points. The problem with enemy patrols being off screen seems to only happen when I'm not playing solo. It's frustrating, but I'm not sure what you can do about it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it has to do with people aiming, which shifts the viewport.

Having to manually summon the map is actually pretty useful due to how the pinging works. Since a ping fires every time you open the map, you can open and close it quickly to get a lot of very fast yet small pings. The delay between pings is longer than the time it takes to open and close the map. Keeping the map closed also reduces visual noise on the HUD in a game that is already pretty busy.

I've never really run into an issue with limited-use strategems. (Except the one time I brought 2 vindicators and spammed them constantly.) You still get 3-15 uses of the cool ones, which is enough to make a difference if you're careful. The timing does take a bit of getting used to, as Martout said. The single-use weapons are only a problem if you die and can't recover the weapon, since you can refill all of them using ammo packs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Heads up: If anyone missed the city defense that happened on the Illuminate front a few days ago and wants the achievement for participating in a city defense, the Cyborgs are going to start a counter-attack on their front in 21 hours. We're attacking Cyberstan, but at this point there's no way we're going to win the siege unless the entire community stops attacking the other races, which they won't.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Eonwe posted:

i blow up aliens

And me, occasionally. Eonwe is #1 World Champion of Nuke detonation.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Sometimes I'll call in a hellbomb as a poor man's distractor beacon. Enemies sure are attracted to it.

The Vindicator bunker buster bomb is fuckin' awesome. 15 uses is usually enough, and the calldown is just > > > and comes down in half a second.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 5, 2016

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

Just picked this up and already having a blast. Mostly at every turn blowing myself up.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Last night I had a pod fall on me during the initial spawn for the first time. I sincerely love the fact that the very first thing that can happen to you in this game is getting killed by your buddy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Last night my buddy and I were riding in an APC. I got out to grab a sample but the APC was still moving slightly and I got crushed. He reversed the car so that it wasn't sitting on my dropped gear, got out to revive me, but the APC was still moving slightly and he got crushed.

10/10

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Last night I had a pod fall on me during the initial spawn for the first time. I sincerely love the fact that the very first thing that can happen to you in this game is getting killed by your buddy.

I'm like 95% sure they have new players crash on or as close to current players as they can because it's funny.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Last night my buddy and I were riding in an APC. I got out to grab a sample but the APC was still moving slightly and I got crushed. He reversed the car so that it wasn't sitting on my dropped gear, got out to revive me, but the APC was still moving slightly and he got crushed.

10/10

Please keep arms and legs safely inside the vehicle until it has come to a complete stop.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

my only complaint about APCs/HAVs is that the passengers can't throw Stratagems out of the sponsons

I mean sure okay driver, gunner, i get that. but if i can't casually throw a nuclear missile homing beacon out of the window like it's an empty beer can why am i even fighting this war

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Coolguye posted:

my only complaint about APCs/HAVs is that the passengers can't throw Stratagems out of the sponsons

I mean sure okay driver, gunner, i get that. but if i can't casually throw a nuclear missile homing beacon out of the window like it's an empty beer can why am i even fighting this war

If they kept APCs like that but let the passenger in the motorcycle throw strategems/use your own weapons, I think that would go a LONG way towards making the bikes somewhat viable/decent.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Green Dam posted:

Please keep arms and legs safely inside the vehicle until it has come to a complete stop.

If there was a Tips section in the OP, this should be in it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Placing a Tesla Turret directly in the middle of an arena map is totally :911: The Most Democratic Thing. :911:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Solumin posted:

If there was a Tips section in the OP, this should be in it.

The second OP has stuff for this sort of thing but I'm of the opinion that this is one of those experiences you should stumble upon yourself

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
who the gently caress just said the bike wasn't viable

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Pierson posted:

Rotten Cookies posted:

If they kept APCs like that but let the passenger in the motorcycle throw strategems/use your own weapons, I think that would go a LONG way towards making the bikes somewhat viable/decent.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Pierson posted:

As bad as the APC/tanks are about getting run over without coming to a complete and full stop?

The bike is so much worse. Also the gun sucks and it only holds 2 people and 2 bikes on a map isn't the best if you wanna go fast. Me and my friends always play 3/4 people so the bike being fast doesn't really help when there's another person/vehicle holding you back.

Tesla towers also work great for invisible enemies that the turrets won't pick up in the arena maps. And as always, the healing gun works great to keep the tesla tower alive and spreading glorious bolts of democracy.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

The second OP has stuff for this sort of thing but I'm of the opinion that this is one of those experiences you should stumble upon yourself

On reflection, you're right. People should experience vehicular democracy first-hand.

Which reminds me that I should really try to get the "run over an Assassination target" achievement, that would be hilarious.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Coolguye posted:

"Put on some Skynyrd, brother! Let's go pull some brodies down at the Cyborgs' place, scare 'em up real good!"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Solumin posted:

Which reminds me that I should really try to get the "run over an Assassination target" achievement, that would be hilarious.
One of the things that truly sold me on this game was realizing how many of the achievements are "do this incredibly stupid and funny thing"

e: also, presented without further comment

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's a little thing but I love the cheev names in this, too. "Join the Army, they said." "See the galaxy, they said." "Meet interesting people, they said."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Alot of the cheevos are refferences or direct quotes from Starship Troopers too.

• Locked thread