Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Confession: never seen Starship Troopers :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's good

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Ciaphas posted:

Confession: never seen Starship Troopers :(

Spoilers, for being the plot of the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

Coolguye posted:

It's good

Yes. Yes it is. :colbert:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 6, 2016

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Alehkhs posted:

Spoilers, for being the plot of the entire movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrVQKl04Ak

Yes. Yes it is. :colbert:

That video is somehow more Starship Troopers than Starship Troopers.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Played the tutorial. Got crushed by the extraction ship :allears: GOTY.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just watch the intro for Helldivers and then play a Helldive bug mission. You just saw Starship Troopers.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

FrancoFish posted:

Just watch the intro for Helldivers and then play a Helldive bug mission. You just saw Starship Troopers.

Needs more Ironside to be an authentic experience. They should get him to do voice work for this game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aw man, level 9 bug hunt, ten seconds til the shuttle arrives, three tank bugs or whatever spawn under us and kill three of us. Our third man just barely survives, gets to a safe distance....and shoots little bugs until the tanks surround him, instead of throwing the available respawn beacon. Welp.

We did beat a level 9 one right before that though, it's fun as hell.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Tried playing with some pubbies last night. We fought for freedom, we died, we laughed, had fun and all shared high fives and commendations afterwards! Best pubbie experience in forever!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing that happened last night while helldiving was stomping around in my exo suit, pointing out to my friend while in a bug fight that we're getting a new guy dropping in hell yeah! He landed on me and the exo suit. :haw:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
Played with some pubbies last night, one of them kept getting cut off by those fancy laser walls, and dying. He was also the one who was trying to TAKE CHARGE by shouting inspirational quotes like "OMG" "WTF" "THIS WAY GUYS" and "STOP SEPARATING!!!". We proceeded to somehow win despite him, and after seeing he managed to die 50% more than the rest of the team combined, we laughed him out of the lobby. Good times.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Martout posted:

Tried playing with some pubbies last night. We fought for freedom, we died, we laughed, had fun and all shared high fives and commendations afterwards! Best pubbie experience in forever!

The commendation system is a great idea for what it does to the general player attitude towards cooperation, and I hope it gets incorporated into more games in the future.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is the Recoilless Rifle worth upgrading fully? I have maxed out EATS and almost have 4 research points for the Recoilless upgrade.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yes, at max rank it ignores armour.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Recoilless is super good for team hell dives against the Cyborgs since you'll need a lot of anti-armor.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cool, I upgraded the recoilless to max. I also unlocked the Justice and upgraded it fully, it's a fun weapon. Is there anything else I should look into upgrading?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
What can I do about cyborg tanks once my RR runs out of shots? Was trying to do a difficulty 9 city defense mission but we got stuck on a capture objective when we couldn't kill the tanks anymore. I had since dropped the RR somewhere, but if I still had it could I have filled the ammo with a resupply? Are there primary weapons that have AT capabilities, or only from stratagems?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
I'm still pretty new, but I like the Defender SMG, as it lets you move rather quickly while aiming. Is this common to ALL SMGs, or just that one?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sokani posted:

What can I do about cyborg tanks once my RR runs out of shots? Was trying to do a difficulty 9 city defense mission but we got stuck on a capture objective when we couldn't kill the tanks anymore. I had since dropped the RR somewhere, but if I still had it could I have filled the ammo with a resupply? Are there primary weapons that have AT capabilities, or only from stratagems?

Ammo boxes fill up your backpack too (rockets/fuel etc)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Skandranon posted:

I'm still pretty new, but I like the Defender SMG, as it lets you move rather quickly while aiming. Is this common to ALL SMGs, or just that one?
All SMGs and SMG-type weapons (upgraded Double Freedom and the DLC laser Tanto).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Cool, I upgraded the recoilless to max. I also unlocked the Justice and upgraded it fully, it's a fun weapon. Is there anything else I should look into upgrading?

The recoilless is definitely a great weapon if you have enough coordination for assisted reloads, simply because it only takes one to kill a heavy armor unit. As for other weapons on a support player, the AR22C and AR20L are probably the best for that kind of setup, but the SG-255 can come in handy once in a while just for the shot dispersion and bug/protoss scout killing. If you've got the Commando DLC, the MLS-4X is absolutely worth upgrading, but as far as the essentials, you're pretty much done. Assuming that you've upgraded the UAV, Distraction Beacon, Ammo Resupply as well.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Green Dam posted:

The recoilless is definitely a great weapon if you have enough coordination for assisted reloads, simply because it only takes one to kill a heavy armor unit. As for other weapons on a support player, the AR22C and AR20L are probably the best for that kind of setup, but the SG-255 can come in handy once in a while just for the shot dispersion and bug/protoss scout killing. If you've got the Commando DLC, the MLS-4X is absolutely worth upgrading, but as far as the essentials, you're pretty much done. Assuming that you've upgraded the UAV, Distraction Beacon, Ammo Resupply as well.

Good to hear and yeah, the last few strats you mentioned I fully upgraded a while back. How is the MLS 4X compared to the recoilless and the EAT? I saw that it takes the last upgrade in order for it to do anti tank stuff.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2016

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
It's a fun weapon but loses effectiveness in crowds because it just goes for the closest targets. When you get swarmed this always means it will hit the faster smaller enemies closer to you than the big tank in the back you actually need to kill.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah it's worth noting that Hell Dives are plenty doable solo if you have fully upgraded UAVs and distraction beacons. I've been doing a lot of them on Cyberstan during the most recent siege of it to just farm the gently caress out of samples, and found that with judicious use of distractors I barely even need to shoot. I use the 4th slot as flex, for Cyberstan I used the rail cannon fire support, for the Bug home planet I've been running with stasis generator fire support.

It's been nice, because a fully completed Hell Dive can happen in about 12-15 minutes, yields ~6000 XP and 22 samples, and with the home world event reward, the XP is doubled to 12k. I'm mostly done upgrading my Strategems at this point; I need another about 20 to polish off my weapons and then I'm past needing research points ever again, which will be pretty cathartic.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Yeah it's worth noting that Hell Dives are plenty doable solo if you have fully upgraded UAVs and distraction beacons. I've been doing a lot of them on Cyberstan during the most recent siege of it to just farm the gently caress out of samples, and found that with judicious use of distractors I barely even need to shoot. I use the 4th slot as flex, for Cyberstan I used the rail cannon fire support, for the Bug home planet I've been running with stasis generator fire support.

It's been nice, because a fully completed Hell Dive can happen in about 12-15 minutes, yields ~6000 XP and 22 samples, and with the home world event reward, the XP is doubled to 12k. I'm mostly done upgrading my Strategems at this point; I need another about 20 to polish off my weapons and then I'm past needing research points ever again, which will be pretty cathartic.

What's the Hell Dive Solo strategy with fully upgraded UAVs and distract beacons? I'd like to try this. What's in your 3rd strat slot?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

4th. I carry two distractor beacons packs. I'll see about uploading a 'typical' run of Cyberstan here today to illustrate.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Pierson posted:

It's a fun weapon but loses effectiveness in crowds because it just goes for the closest targets. When you get swarmed this always means it will hit the faster smaller enemies closer to you than the big tank in the back you actually need to kill.
My biggest issue with using it is the minimum range since the missiles always fly upwards when you first fire them. It's great when it works but I always find it really fiddly to use. I did watch someone once use it on the Bug boss and just let loose while someone behind him just fed him missiles until he was dry and it was awesome though. :allears:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Will calldowns not spawn if you run far enough away between throwing the beacon and them appearing? Don't believe I never checked this 'till now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pierson posted:

Will calldowns not spawn if you run far enough away between throwing the beacon and them appearing? Don't believe I never checked this 'till now.

I've thrown a distractor one way and took off full loving bore the other dozens of times and never had this be a thing.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Pierson posted:

It doesn't matter if you stick around or not but if you throw one too close to a cyborg jammer you might not notice why it fizzled.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFBz7-uZCTs

Solo hell dive vs Cyborgs on a snow planet. This first one is a little mediocre, but it shows you the basics of what's going on. I have two other videos recorded, they will be encoded and uploaded in the next day or so.

I apologize for not being more upbeat and entertaining here, but I'm pretty ill. Also, youtube hasn't finished the encoding properly, but it'll eventually have 1080p 60fps up. So if you want to wait for that go ahead.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
It's too bad the MG94 and Stalwart are mediocre weapons because they are really entertaining and sate that lust for big, loud, flashy guns that this game gives me.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

Solo hell dive vs Cyborgs on a snow planet. This first one is a little mediocre, but it shows you the basics of what's going on. I have two other videos recorded, they will be encoded and uploaded in the next day or so.

I apologize for not being more upbeat and entertaining here, but I'm pretty ill. Also, youtube hasn't finished the encoding properly, but it'll eventually have 1080p 60fps up. So if you want to wait for that go ahead.

Thanks. Judging from that run, does that mean it's best to go with an energy weapon so ammo won't be a concern?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks. Judging from that run, does that mean it's best to go with an energy weapon so ammo won't be a concern?

That's my preference. It's entirely possible that you could run a precision ballistic of your choice, but I've been using energy weapons for so long that I honestly don't have a good sense of how far ballistics go anymore. I played around with the Scythe and basically you need to be a little more aware of what's going on due to the overall lower damage when compared to the Sickle, but it still works just fine. It's also worth noting that you can be a little resourceful depending on the map, too. Cyborg AA always spawns a bunch of ammo boxes nearby, and bunkers for black box dropoff sometimes spawn a box, too. So OSP isn't ENTIRELY out of the question.

Been playing around with Bug hell dives tonight, and those are completely different from the looks of things. I figured out a strategy that seems to work, though. More when I get the recordings.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Coolguye posted:

Sheeit, dude, thanks for that. At the bare minimum, its a drat good tutorial for distractors, as well as a solid guide to a helldive.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

So I watched this, and found it enlightening. I do, however, have two questions:

1. You talk about all enemies on-map being attracted to objectives that are being completed. Is this to say that there are a predefined number of enemies wandering around, that are presumably replaced as they're destroyed? Or do enemies just get spawned in places you aren't looking as the game sees fit? I am aware that enemies are spawned when you alert scouts.

2. At around 12:10, do I see the explosion from one mech dying damaging the other one behind it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So I watched this, and found it enlightening. I do, however, have two questions:

1. You talk about all enemies on-map being attracted to objectives that are being completed. Is this to say that there are a predefined number of enemies wandering around, that are presumably replaced as they're destroyed? Or do enemies just get spawned in places you aren't looking as the game sees fit? I am aware that enemies are spawned when you alert scouts.

2. At around 12:10, do I see the explosion from one mech dying damaging the other one behind it?

1) Yes, predefined number of enemies. Killing a patrol simply prompts the game to spawn another elsewhere. Strictly speaking you should try to kill as few as possible, since a new spawn can happen anywhere - even just off screen in the direction you're not facing. In the interest of time, however, you shouldn't be too avoidant. Also, dogs. Goddamn dogs.

2) Yeah, many enemy types have damaging death explosions, and Hulks definitely qualify.

Unwise_Cashew posted:

Sheeit, dude, thanks for that. At the bare minimum, its a drat good tutorial for distractors, as well as a solid guide to a helldive.
The other two videos are a little better, if for no other reason than I don't screw up quite as much. Still, I suppose it's good to note that you can mess up and still come away very, very profitably. 5000 XP (presuming no deaths - no deaths is +1250 XP instead of +600 like I got) and 20 samples in ~15 minutes is pretty productive.

It's also worth noting that if you're doing this in a group you have to be EXTREMELY coordinated to make this work. The camera will stay centered to keep people in the frame, but enemies can see you just the same. This is why groups of 4 people can never seem to handle stealth. Visibility for the players is basically hampered by the requirement that everyone be on screen all the time, which effectively shortens the warning you get on patrols. And like you saw even in that video, I cut it pretty close with killing some patrols before they popped off flares and alerted. This is why APCs/HAVs make so much sense on high difficulties where thea bility to run away is important; loading into the truck means that you can't lose someone.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 7, 2016

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Good to hear and yeah, the last few strats you mentioned I fully upgraded a while back. How is the MLS 4X compared to the recoilless and the EAT? I saw that it takes the last upgrade in order for it to do anti tank stuff.

It's honestly less useful for mission running and more for killing the faction bosses since you're rooted when you're aiming it. I'd stick with the EAT-17 and the Recoilless for regular stuff.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The camera centered thing is something I really hope they change if we ever get a sequel, it just causes more problems than it solves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Coolguye posted:

1) Yes, predefined number of enemies. Killing a patrol simply prompts the game to spawn another elsewhere. Strictly speaking you should try to kill as few as possible, since a new spawn can happen anywhere - even just off screen in the direction you're not facing. In the interest of time, however, you shouldn't be too avoidant. Also, dogs. Goddamn dogs.

Patrols that have just been killed usually don't spawn just offscreen. And I know that you've often seen a patrol that wasn't there before suddenly appear offscreen after you killed a different patrol. That's a different thing that's happening because Helldivers had to be optimised for PS3s and Vitas. Patrols can exist in 3 states. An abstract state where they exist only as a blip on the map, a fully spawned state where they can be damaged and alert, and their alerted state where they use their attacks. But the game only uses a limited amount of memory for fully spawned patrols. When there's only one patrol nearby the game will spawn them in even if they're a screen and a half away. When you're stealthing past a large number (or more patrols than can spawn are literally on top of you) the game will only spawn patrols at the screen border, to ensure the game isn't swapping which patrols are active.

IFVs are the most obvious when this is happening. I've seen two IFVs spawned before, but mostly the game only allows one to be spawned at a time. So a lot of times when you're running away from an IFV the instant the game de-spawns the one you're running from it drops another new one just offscreen in front of you. Or you're defending an extraction and every patrol on the map is sitting on top of you waiting for their chance to spawn, as soon as you blow up one IFV another drops in just at the edge of the screen.

Coolguye posted:

It's also worth noting that if you're doing this in a group you have to be EXTREMELY coordinated to make this work. The camera will stay centered to keep people in the frame, but enemies can see you just the same. This is why groups of 4 people can never seem to handle stealth. Visibility for the players is basically hampered by the requirement that everyone be on screen all the time, which effectively shortens the warning you get on patrols. And like you saw even in that video, I cut it pretty close with killing some patrols before they popped off flares and alerted. This is why APCs/HAVs make so much sense on high difficulties where thea bility to run away is important; loading into the truck means that you can't lose someone.

Not quite. Enemy patrol members can only start their alert animations when they are onscreen. So in a full group you can still carry your team through stealth pretty loving well if you carry a Justice, don't care about your teammates, and are trigger happy enough to shoot at shadows. Doing so is a pretty dick move, though, because the other key facet of stealth is to avoid waiting for stratagems of any kind (and reinforce requires you to wait) until you're already at an objective. Speaking of, certain objectives will teleport enemy patrols towards you to ensure that you can't totally stealth them without the use of distractor beacons. Capture areas do so rapidly, missiles do so a moderate pace, most other objectives will summon a set number of patrols over time after each phase advances. All of the teleports are in addition to the huge investigation radius that objectives have.

Yeah, I've already testing the teleport bullshit. You kind of have time to when you're a new player stubbornly insisting that you'll earn the capes on your own, without DLC, on snow planets.

• Locked thread