Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

kikkelivelho posted:

You're probably joking but lets be clear: I seriously doubt Chris is using backer funds for his personal expenses, and even if he did, I doubt it would affect their cash reserves in any meaningful way. Yeah, people in the movie business use drugs, but how much do you think Chris is using to make the claim that it's negatively affecting the overall budget of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had more than enough money from his previous works to sustain a wealthy lifestyle for the rest of his. These kinds of personal attacks just make your point look weak.

I'm deeply sorry for being so inconsiderate and judgmental. I want to apologize to everyone in this thread for my remarks, I am truly sorry. I will look into offering refunds for my previous post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

You're probably joking but lets be clear: I seriously doubt Chris is using backer funds for his personal expenses, and even if he did, I doubt it would affect their cash reserves in any meaningful way. Yeah, people in the movie business use drugs, but how much do you think Chris is using to make the claim that it's negatively affecting the overall budget of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had more than enough money from his previous works to sustain a wealthy lifestyle for the rest of his. These kinds of personal attacks just make your point look weak.
There is ample evidence of the lifestyle of excess that Chris and Sandy have adopted since this whole thing started. These are not people driving modest cars or living in a modest home.

They went from rags to riches on the dreams of about a half million severely autistic people. They still want to be movie stars, and they have been living like such ever since they had a mountain of cash thrown in their laps.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That's loving slander and you know it. How many other CEOs bring in their own home furniture to equip the company offices?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

kikkelivelho posted:

I think that's a very naïve opinon, there's been plenty of evidence that they've spent tons of money on each other but not on the others working on the game (unless you count the big rear end TV's and food)

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

kikkelivelho posted:

$500K per year each for Chris and Sandi, and they backpaid themselves for the years it was in "development" prior to Kickstarting. And their Porsches (x3) are company cars, and their trips are business expenses, and so on. It seems fairly certain that Sandi is getting paid for her SQ42 "acting" role separately from her VP of Marketing gig as well.

It adds up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ex CIG whistleblowers stated that Chris and Sandi had 3 porches on lease from the company (one of which is a super rare model costing $150,000), and that the company is also paying for their $17,500pm mansion. Prior to this, Chris had lost virtually everything after being sued by Kevin Costner back in the day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The French Army! posted:

I highly doubt they are in dire enough financial straights to not put out some piece of poo poo game within two or three years at this point. The game as pitched is certainly impossible to deliver at this point with their remaining funds and what they can expect to bring in from delusional backers, but they'll deliver something.

Whatever garbage they do give the backers in the end won't matter because these cultists will come crawling back like the beat puppies they are and loudly proclaim that they got everything they paid for and more.

Derek was going on and on about how he KNEW that they don't have enough money to finish and they're DOOMED blah blah blah oh he's gonna sue their pants off and get the bottom of this blah blah blah and it's obvious he's just full of hot air and bullshit at this point. If he had the smoking gun he was hinting at a couple months ago he would have done something by now.

Instead he just shut up about the supposed lawsuit when his "deadlines" came and went without action, which is why I doubt he actually has anything damning on them.

Derek is a garbageperson just trying to keep his own name in the headlines.

It's all been sideline sniping at a game that's already known to be broken and tons of "Insider info" from "sources" and groundbreaking stuff "just waiting to clear legal". Star Citizen is a terrible thing that will probably never end up coming to market in any real shape that is worth all that's happened so far but Derek is going after the game for his own gratification and nothing else.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

They got $100 million dollars and spent it on themselves? Don't be ABSURD!.....

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, what's up with this game, why is it supposed to be so addictive? It's not like wow or other mmporg don't exist.

What exactly did they promise to get 100 mill? Blowjobs for everyone?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

So, what's up with this game, why is it supposed to be so addictive? It's not like wow or other mmporg don't exist.

They promised dreams, seriously.

Me : "Hey what did you guys think of chris Roberts not being able to play his own game? Was that a fun moment for you like it was for everyone else?"

RSI TURD : Of course he didnt enjoy it. He doesn't waste his time playing games, he is busy giving birth to a dream for all of us to share. Why not be a part of that?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Me : "Hey what did you guys think of chris Roberts not being able to play his own game? Was that a fun moment for you like it was for everyone else?"

RSI TURD : Of course he didnt enjoy it. He doesn't waste his time playing games, he is busy giving birth to a dream for all of us to share. Why not be a part of that?

Yeah, OK. But what's the dream about? From what I managed to put together it's a space sim + FPS, but how is it different from eve online and other already existing crap and why will it ruin that guys farm and starve all his animals?

(This is like me trying to understand bitcoin all over.)

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

That Works posted:

Derek is a garbageperson just trying to keep his own name in the headlines.

It's all been sideline sniping at a game that's already known to be broken and tons of "Insider info" from "sources" and groundbreaking stuff "just waiting to clear legal". Star Citizen is a terrible thing that will probably never end up coming to market in any real shape that is worth all that's happened so far but Derek is going after the game for his own gratification and nothing else.
Derek came along and made lots of promises before realizing he couldn't deliver. Kinda like all the video games he's made.

I'm sure when he started his investigation he intended to sue before eventually realizing he didn't have as great a case as he thought. But he likes the attention this is bringing him so he just resorts to vaguely implying that he's still brining legal action.

He says "These things take time, I actually HAVE to sue them or they could sue me for threatening to sue them!" when he knows drat well they will never do that because his counter suit would force them to disclose the huge amount of backer money that has been siphoned or squandered. It's a MAD scenario where he can continue making vague threats in the hopes that people keep talking about him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

Yeah, OK. But what's the dream about? From what I managed to put together it's a space sim + FPS, but how is it different from eve online and other already existing crap and why will it ruin that guys farm and starve all his animals?

Every single thing that the idiot backers want in the game has been promised by chris Roberts.

"Plants and boring plant based minigames where I look after plants?" "Yes" says Roberts

"slaves?" yes

"space battles?" yes

"immersion stuff like no running in corridors?" yes

"can I be a hall monitor?" sure, probably (i'm serious, no joke)

and they've promised all this poo poo and taken all the backers money (and then some) and it's NEVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

They have N.O.T.H.I.N.G to show for it, and they never will, and the backers are eating their poo poo and asking for seconds.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Chris' being frustrated and unable to enjoy his game makes sense if you consider that he has been working pretty much 24/7 on the project for the last 3 years. The community as a whole has asked him to slow down a bit but it seems you can't stop a man who's on a mission. Chris is literally working himself to death to ensure that his and the backers dream is one day realized. Yeah, there has been and will be bumps in the road but imo those just give the whole thing more character.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Every single thing that the idiot backers want in the game has been promised by chris Roberts.

"Plants and boring plant based minigames where I look after plants?" "Yes" says Roberts

"slaves?" yes

"space battles?" yes

"immersion stuff like no running in corridors?" yes

"can I be a hall monitor?" sure, probably (i'm serious, no joke)

and they've promised all this poo poo and taken all the backers money (and then some) and it's NEVER. GOING. TO. HAPPEN.

They have N.O.T.H.I.N.G to show for it, and they never will, and the backers are eating their poo poo and asking for seconds.

Don't forget, he recently promised birds as well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

waitwhatno posted:

That's just it: it's about anything you (or well… the backers) can dream up. Pretty much any question along the lines of “will there be…” is answered by an enthusiastic “yes”, and so the backers have it right from the horse's mouth that their own particular dream game is the one CRobber is aiming for. This glimmer of hope overshadows the pretty obvious and immediate conclusion that among several hundred thousand backers, there are so many different versions of what that dream entails that none of it could ever possibly fit together.

So your question can't really be answered in any kind of objective or coherent manner other than that the dream is about whatever the person having it think it's about.

kikkelivelho posted:

Chris' being frustrated and unable to enjoy his game makes sense if you consider that he has been working pretty much 24/7 on the project for the last 3 years. The community as a whole has asked him to slow down a bit but it seems you can't stop a man who's on a mission. Chris is literally working himself to death to ensure that his and the backers dream is one day realized. Yeah, there has been and will be bumps in the road but imo those just give the whole thing more character.

…or, more seriously for those who haven't followed the mess, it makes sense when you remember that he still just wants to make his space movie. Actually sitting down and playing the game would be a distraction from that. Indeed, this whole game thing is just an annoying sideshow/excuse for doing that (again). There are quite strong indications every time there's a Q&A with him that questions about the game really annoys him — he wants to talk about the cinematic masterpiece he's cobbling together and (reluctantly) adding some game bits to.

As the previous cliff notes point out, there's a lot to suggest that he doesn't really play computer games all that much — especially not ones in the genre(s) he's (supposedly) trying to incorporate.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 2, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

They have absoloutely no game, and they've jizzed out this "alpha" which is probably the most worthless broken tech demo that's ever existed, it flat out does not work, and they're promising the moon and stars and getting money for it but there isn't even a goal for the game or what the players will do.

tldr, people are stupid morons who will throw money at anything.

p.s. Chris cant play his own game, he couldn't get it to work on a livestream, he didn't know the controls.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

waitwhatno posted:

The dream is where you get to lord over your own Internet spaceship fiefdom. In this place you can forever pretend that you aren't a 300 pound autistic whiling away what are supposed to be the best years of your life in your moms basement with childish fantasies.

You will have all the control and respect that you don't get at the part time gas station job you begrudgingly took only because mom refused to pay for your toys anymore. And still the poor woman can't find the courage to put you out on the street where she knows you belong.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

kikkelivelho posted:

For a whole minute I really thought you were being serious, you just paralyzed me with sarcasm.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

For a whole minute I really thought you were being serious, you just paralyzed me with sarcasm.

How could I not be serious? We are, after all, discussing an IP that could be this generations Star Wars. A global phenomenon that will redefine scifi and space game conventions as we know them. I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from Chris, he did already revolutionize the space sim genre once with Wing Commander. There's been a lot of copycats since then but none have truly reached the perfect mixture of hollywood screenplay and adrenaline filled space combat that Chris is once again aiming for with Squadron 42.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

are.... are you Chris Roberts?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

We are, after all, discussing an IP that could be this generations Star Wars.
You overplayed your hand here and gave away the troll. I will say though, given how delusional SC backers are it can be extremely hard to tell troll from cultist.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

waitwhatno posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fuctifino posted:

I must admit that I had doubts, but after seeing the brainchild Chris Roberts demonstrate his game before Xmas, all those doubts left.

The game looks amazing. You should all check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

I love his sighs of frustration at his own game

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Oh my god this loving guy who keeps talking about the scam artist game dev like he's a personal acquaintance and a hero in tortured, adjective-heavy marketingspeak

Come on guy are you for real or are you just slipping past my pre-coffee irony detector

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing as there is no game to speak of (and probably never will) from a goon perspective the game is the community. Star Cultizens manage to combine all the delusion of pre-MtGox bitcoiners with all the zealous wrath of the Islamic State.

If anyone writes an article along these lines "Star Citizen is the biggest success in the history of crowdfunding despite suffering from repeated delays. It has become involved in controversy as some have questioned if it can ever fulfill all it's promises" in half an hour tops the comments section will be filled with furious retards accusing you of being a lackey of Derek Smart and you'll be added to the list they have of people that have wronged Star Citizen. From then on you can forget all about your Tweeter, your Youtube channels, Reddit sub, anything that is associated with you will from then on be relentlessly stalked and harassed and they will do everything they can to ruin your life.

Have you seen those movies of Scientologists shouting "What are your crimes? Tell us what crimes you have committed! :byodood:" that is exactly what they are like.

And the best part is that when you dig past the zealots what you find is a community of the carest-of-all-bears that rant incessantly about how "non-conventional PvP is pretty much like rape" and "all griefers should be banned" for a definition of "griefer" as "anyone that dares shoot at me". Then there are the guys that spent thousands of dollars and now want the game to reward new players with the equivalent of 50 cents per hour for manning the turrets in the whale's ships and serving them drinks ingame so that they are literally trapped in wage slavery and can never afford their own ships. I am not exaggerating in any way.

Alas since there is no game these people can't be shown the error of their ways yet/ever.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 2, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

From the beginning Chris has spoken of a seamless experience and that's also what the community wants. Star Citizen 2.0 clearly demonstrates that this experience is not only possible, but happening right now.

My MechWarrior clan (which pretty much stopped playing MechWarrior at peak pants-making GBS threads at PGI) tried to play just about every build of SC to see if we could make a game night of it. The flight mechanics were loving terrible and the whole game devolves into who can ram the other guy first, because the gunplay is awful.

Did any of that poo poo improve in 2.0? I don't feel like downloading my entire monthly cap for it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

MeLKoR posted:

Have you seen those movies of Scientologists shouting "What are your crimes? Tell us what crimes you have committed! :byodood:" that is exactly what they are like.

^ This.

I have a morbid interest in cults, and it has been fascinating watching the Cult of Crobber grow.

It really is a literal cult.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Blazing Ownager posted:

Did any of that poo poo improve in 2.0? I don't feel like downloading my entire monthly cap for it.

The main improvement is that you can put a food vending machine in the back of your spaceship and fly it to another station... but it will take days of attempts due to constant crashes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

fuctifino posted:

^ This.

I have a morbid interest in cults, and it has been fascinating watching the Cult of Crobber grow.

It really is a literal cult.

There will be hundreds of suicides. No way these folks are 'all there'.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

it should be a crime to feast on autists and morons in this way

but then again what would the internet be without literal idiots flinging fistfuls of money at every single snake-oil salesman with a decent patter (or patreon)

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Nonsense posted:

There will be hundreds of suicides. No way these folks are 'all there'.

Someone tell them Cris Roberts actually has a space ship and all they have to do is kill themselves while staring at the loading screen and they too can join him in space.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if this game ever comes out it'll be such a janky disappointing piece of poo poo

dude is basically promising the matrix but in the future

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

I am not exaggerating in any way.

He really isn't. However bad you think a game community can be, Star Citizen's is worse.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

it should be a crime to feast on autists and morons in this way

but then again what would the internet be without literal idiots flinging fistfuls of money at every single snake-oil salesman with a decent patter (or patreon)

With Patreon at least you usually get your secret backer making GBS threads dicknipples pictures or whatever and can pull out at any time. I doubt there have been any Patreon divorces.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

waitwhatno posted:

For a lot of people (myself included) there's a massive desire to be immersed in a sci-fi world similar to Star Wars, with starfighters and tramp freighters and players not just flying a ship but actually being inside them. Star Citizen looked to be closer to that experience than any other game, and the entire marketing campaign revolved around that. The joke about SC being full of dreams is fairly accurate, particularly with respect to ship sales. They weren't selling ships, they were selling roles.

My own experience reflects this. I saw a community full of autistic carebears and knew stealing their poo poo would be hilarious. So after getting the $35 starter pack and then seeing nine months of progress I bought the Cutlass "pirate" ship. It was flexible, designed to board ships, and was supposedly fast. I saw myself in that role and became attached to the ship and what it represented. Now take that feeling to an extreme, toss in hundreds or thousands of dollars of sunk cost fallacy, and you have the insanity we have now.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The ultra whale VIP card.

"Faithful until death"

*not a cult*

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 2, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's also cheap plastic poo poo ordered from China, for the extra spit in the eye.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For a lot of people (myself included) there's a massive desire to be immersed in a sci-fi world similar to Star Wars, with starfighters and tramp freighters and players not just flying a ship but actually being inside them. Star Citizen looked to be closer to that experience than any other game, and the entire marketing campaign revolved around that. The joke about SC being full of dreams is fairly accurate, particularly with respect to ship sales. They weren't selling ships, they were selling roles.

My own experience reflects this. I saw a community full of autistic carebears and knew stealing their poo poo would be hilarious. So after getting the $35 starter pack and then seeing nine months of progress I bought the Cutlass "pirate" ship. It was flexible, designed to board ships, and was supposedly fast. I saw myself in that role and became attached to the ship and what it represented. Now take that feeling to an extreme, toss in hundreds or thousands of dollars of sunk cost fallacy, and you have the insanity we have now.

that's a $120 jpg, did you get a refund or do you still consider it a good price for the inside look at the insanity and whatnot?

• Locked thread