Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm trying to remember when this was, since I worked at Gamestop twice, but I'd say the Dreamcast Holocaust was 2004 or so, I think. The console was largely obsolete by then, since Sega discontinued it in 2001 and we were dealing with PS2 and X-Box at the time, which was a much larger and expanding market, so I figure they were losing money on stores buying used Dreamcasts. I know the destruction of the inventory was largely to prevent dumpster-divers from reclaiming parts (if they could get into Gamestop's compactors), because it was largely supervised by LP and I figure that selling the wrecked parts to recyclers was a way to get back some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

because corporations are people and people are assholes.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I like it when people confuse having a predatory compulsion to manipulate others since birth with being talented. hehe, makes me chuckle

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the king of sweden himself decided to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

$100 million well spent

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Imagine the employment threads for ships. People asking for references, interviewing you to work on their ship, negotiating pay and shouting at you if you are late. Blacklisting you and screaming at you and sending you emails to fire you. Then proudly posting blogs about having people working for them or whatever.

I mean it's not going to happen, but still.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

At least we don't hand out 7 days probation to pedo mods but what do I know.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can take some things seriously, but this isn't one of them

Robo Reagan posted:

the king of sweden himself decided to play the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXk7o84MZPo

$100 million well spent

Oh poo poo, we have to abandon ship!
:confused:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lonos Oboe posted:

Imagine the employment threads for ships. People asking for references, interviewing you to work on their ship, negotiating pay and shouting at you if you are late. Blacklisting you and screaming at you and sending you emails to fire you. Then proudly posting blogs about having people working for them or whatever.

I mean it's not going to happen, but still.

Every "captain" is going to be irl unemployed in order to concentrate on their Anime-named ship

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
WIn the powerball and come out with a space sim that costs 100m and is out within 2 years just to mock star citizen fans.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Microwaves Mom posted:

WIn the powerball and come out with a space sim that costs 100m and is out within 2 years just to mock star citizen fans.

No, that already happened. I mean someone trying to do just that happened. A very cone-shaped man won the lottery and declared that he will make the ultimate MMO. "The best way to describe this MMORPG is think of all the good things in Second life, WoW, Rift, SWTOR all rolled up into one game." Then he started a Kickstarter because he needed more money. I've no idea what happened with that, but I don't think it was anything good. That William Shatner video doesn't even work.

There's this, but that's from 2012:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-lottery-winner-takes-to-kickstarter-to-fund-pie-in-the-sky-mmo
http://kotaku.com/5892917/millionaire-wants-your-million-dollars-to-make-his-first-game

Then he came back and tried to Kickstart some sort of awful Facebook knockoff. That didn't work either. All in all, pretty funny, but no competition for Star Citizen.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

No, that already happened. I mean someone trying to do just that happened. A very cone-shaped man won the lottery and declared that he will make the ultimate MMO. "The best way to describe this MMORPG is think of all the good things in Second life, WoW, Rift, SWTOR all rolled up into one game." Then he started a Kickstarter because he needed more money. I've no idea what happened with that, but I don't think it was anything good. That William Shatner video doesn't even work.

There's this, but that's from 2012:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-14-lottery-winner-takes-to-kickstarter-to-fund-pie-in-the-sky-mmo
http://kotaku.com/5892917/millionaire-wants-your-million-dollars-to-make-his-first-game

Then he came back and tried to Kickstart some sort of awful Facebook knockoff. That didn't work either. All in all, pretty funny, but no competition for Star Citizen.

Was he the one with the hooker bots?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Pebergehund posted:

Was he the one with the hooker bots?

I believe so, yes, but I'm sure it's also a Star Citizen feature.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MeLKoR posted:

At least we don't hand out 7 days probation to pedo mods but what do I know.

Jesus Christ, these people are worse than the Tea Party Community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I have to say, some of these Oculus rift people make a lot more sense when you consider how much they want to implement it into Star Citizen.

You drop $600 on the device, you need an especially bitching PC to play it. With something like 3 or 4 usb 3.0 ports. (I only got a new custom pc last year and it came with 2 of the suckers.) and considering you are dropping at least $200 on a nice HOTAS before you even spend a penny on your jpgs. And people are still crazy to get their hands on it, even though all it means is you can look around your stupid cockpit. I have one of those google cardboard things and its a cool novelty. But I could not wear it for more than 30 minutes without some serious eyestrain. I know the rift has a higher resolution, but still. Do they strike you as the kind of people who play for an hour or two at a time? I can only imagine the lawsuits.

EDIT. (Read this in the voice of your grandmother.)

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 16, 2016

• Locked thread