Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Squadron 42, the single player component of Star Citizen, will release during 2016. The actual Star Citizen part sadly won't be out until 2017, but the early alpha 2.0 version is already playable and has been a tremendous success by almost all accounts. I know it sucks that the game still needs time in the oven but ultimately it means we'll just be getting a better product.

Sadly for those who still haven't pledged RSI has decided to split the game packages but you still might get one cheap on the black market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

You're seeing Star Citizen now.

The current state of Star Citizen (hilarious scam slash cult) is a unique and one of a kind experience and you're nuts if you think a slipshod spaceship game can ever compare to it.

How could it possibly be a scam when even Smart himself has admitted that most of the money has already been spent on the project. hmm yes, clearly Chris using the money exactly like he said he would is a scam. I can't really overlook this kind of ignorance now that 2.0 has been released, there clearly is a game and we are seeing as it grows into a finished product.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Keg posted:

Are there links to the good/informative posts in this thread available anywhere? Because the OP is pretty interesting and absolutely crazy, but I don't want to wade through 1000 pages for updates. Or is everything after the first page just goons obsessing about stuff until it becomes creepy as per usual?

That thread is toxic hellhole where no citizen should go. If you want to good information you should check reddit or RSI's own site.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

This only proves that the project is not only real but advancing at a steady pace. It's buggy, yes, but pre-alpha software usually is. Bugfixing only really starts once the game is fully feature locked.

Also, that video only shows that this isn't some soulless AAA production by a faceless mainstream publisher. The people developing Star Citizen have a real passion for the game

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Robo Reagan posted:

why would they upload that?

Because unlike some big publishers like EA or activision, CIG actually believes in open development. As fans and supporters of Star Citizen and Chris, we not only get to see the big successes but also the lows and struggles that groundbreaking projects often go through. Personally I'm happy that we get these kinds of behind the scenes glimpses rather than just the cold marketing that's usually associated with big games.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Doobie delivers real dogs for your money.

Comparing Star Citizen's crowdfunding success to Doobie's is insulting at best. Doobie made a few thousand dollars and used them to make a terrible hot dog shack that probably doesn't meet even the most basic of health standards.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the only thing I can think of is Roberts is a moron who has no idea what he's doing, or he's a scammer. Maybe both?

Like how do you even get into the situation where you're racing against time to get more money by adding features while making the job harder and harder so you need more money so you add more features so you need--

I mean what in the gently caress. Guess that's why publishers exist. this whole thing is just impossibly absurd. I don't know if it'd be funnier if he was defrauding nerds or just a big dumb baby manchild nerds look up to

Chris is specifically adding features because the community has asked for them. The backers want all these cool mechanics and are willing to pay for them. We all remember what happened to Freelancer when Chris was forced out of the development team and the game was turned into a casual space shooter. It's clear that publishers aren't willing to create the kind of experiences that more mature gamers want, so crowdfunding is the only option.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh if only they had made the game as described at the end of the Kickstarter and stopped selling JPG ships this could have been something.

All I wanted was a loving multiplayer bridge commander, pretty much. That's it. You'd think blending FPS ship movement with a space environment outside wouldn't be that hard. It doesn't have to be perfect, I don't have to have a SEAMLESS EXPERIENCE. I'm OK teleporting out of a ship to walk around a FPS base or something.

Basically I just wanted a Privateer with first person elements and mutlicrew multiplayer. That's it. How did they cock that up?

You're still getting that game. The additional funding simply means that the scope of the project has grown larger in size. The game is going to be bigger and prettier than it ever would have been with the original funds. The increased budget also allows Chris to work with amazing hollywood actors, who bring the story truly alive. Imagine being INSIDE a Wing Commander movie, not just watching it. You're there, in the world, with Gary Oldman and Mark Hamil.

From the beginning Chris has spoken of a seamless experience and that's also what the community wants. Star Citizen 2.0 clearly demonstrates that this experience is not only possible, but happening right now.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Gilganixon posted:

Scope creep ruins everything. Even if Star Citizen started out with honourable intentions the insane promises made to justify the huge amount of money that came pouring in from "investors" brings it pretty firmly into scam territory. They have to keep promising new features to get more money rolling in to pay for the resources needed to make the new features when they should have settled for half a mil to make a good space game.

E: also gently caress who the hell wants to hang out with Mark Hamil. pretty sure Mark Hamil doesn't want to hang out with Mark Hamil

Under normal circumstances scope creep would be concerning, yes. Star Citizen however isn't limited by publisher set deadlines or a limited budget. Features are only added when after they've already been funded. This means that despite the feature set growing larger, development always stays within budget.

I also doubt your knowledge of game development if you think half million dollars is enough money to create a seamless space MMO.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

waitwhatno posted:

100 mil is probably enough to get you elected POTUS or pay the education budget of some hosed up African country for a decade ... or you can spend it all on coke

You're probably joking but lets be clear: I seriously doubt Chris is using backer funds for his personal expenses, and even if he did, I doubt it would affect their cash reserves in any meaningful way. Yeah, people in the movie business use drugs, but how much do you think Chris is using to make the claim that it's negatively affecting the overall budget of the game?

I wouldn't be surprised if Chris had more than enough money from his previous works to sustain a wealthy lifestyle for the rest of his. These kinds of personal attacks just make your point look weak.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

They promised dreams, seriously.

Me : "Hey what did you guys think of chris Roberts not being able to play his own game? Was that a fun moment for you like it was for everyone else?"

RSI TURD : Of course he didnt enjoy it. He doesn't waste his time playing games, he is busy giving birth to a dream for all of us to share. Why not be a part of that?

Chris' being frustrated and unable to enjoy his game makes sense if you consider that he has been working pretty much 24/7 on the project for the last 3 years. The community as a whole has asked him to slow down a bit but it seems you can't stop a man who's on a mission. Chris is literally working himself to death to ensure that his and the backers dream is one day realized. Yeah, there has been and will be bumps in the road but imo those just give the whole thing more character.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

For a whole minute I really thought you were being serious, you just paralyzed me with sarcasm.

How could I not be serious? We are, after all, discussing an IP that could be this generations Star Wars. A global phenomenon that will redefine scifi and space game conventions as we know them. I certainly wouldn't expect anything less from Chris, he did already revolutionize the space sim genre once with Wing Commander. There's been a lot of copycats since then but none have truly reached the perfect mixture of hollywood screenplay and adrenaline filled space combat that Chris is once again aiming for with Squadron 42.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Nanomashoes posted:

The better question is: will Star Citizen release/fold before Barkley 2? I say yes.

I'm pretty sure we'll see a conclusion to SC one way or another before 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Tippis posted:

Swedes should not be allowed in the internet.

No, you're right. Swedes shouldn't be allowed anywhere

• Locked thread