Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

simosimo posted:

An interesting thought , we don't have threatening wildlife such as bears, nor do we have mad weather like tornados. Free healthcare and pickled onion monster munch,I'd say we've got it pretty good.

Is the UK basically the starting area?

If Midsomer Murders has taught me anything, it's that even the idyllic English countryside is rife with weirdos and murderers. And that sexy Detective Sergeant Troy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

OP will you post me some pickled onion monster munch please? I would like to try it.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Rutibex posted:

anglo-saxon is a germanic language, English is a mixture of that and a bunch of Latin and Greek from Roman settlers

english is fundamentally germanic, you can remove the non-germanic words and you end up with "anglish" which sounds weird and archaic but is fully functional

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
In answer to the question, yes, it is.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
furthermore, the uk is extreme mode if you are male and like to gently caress attractive women

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dave Concepcion posted:

furthermore, the uk is extreme mode if you are male and like to gently caress attractive women

this explains a lot of the attitudes toward women in Midsomer Murders

there are guys who are attractive who are pining after average looking women

and hot women who are pining after loving old and ugly men

it's a sexual minefield

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
it's amazing that the UK still has non-immigrant people left in it considering what native brits look like

You think they'd have just died out from repulsiveness

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

if you ever play TOTAL WAR the uk is always the easiest place to start

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

hemale in pain posted:

if you ever play TOTAL WAR the uk is always the easiest place to start

pretty good in Diplomacy as well

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Gibberish posted:

it's amazing that the UK still has non-immigrant people left in it considering what native brits look like

You think they'd have just died out from repulsiveness

We're well on the way in fairness.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Yep

Life is easy here.

All the stupid people who work pay for people like me who dont work (I could work but gently caress that I just make easy money on the side and dont tell the gov).

Because I have disabilities affecting my mobility I get money and mostly everything for free like my house, rent, car etc of the government.

Thank you to the people with real jobs!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Yep

Life is easy here.

All the stupid people who work pay for people like me who dont work (I could work but gently caress that I just make easy money on the side and dont tell the gov).

Because I have disabilities affecting my mobility I get money and mostly everything for free like my house, rent, car etc of the government.

Thank you to the people with real jobs!
You're welcome!

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

jBrereton posted:

You're welcome!

Thank you taxpayer

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

AEMINAL posted:

Because welfare and taxes

but.. taxes take your money?

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

but.. taxes take your money?

Not if your on benefits.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i'm british, ask me about smashing rats with a cudgel for a living.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Tramadol Junkie posted:

Not if your on benefits.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
What is this? I still have to pay taxes in the US and I'm poor.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Mengelez posted:

i'm british, ask me about smashing rats with a cudgel for a living.

go away jose come back hasta manana

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Microwaves Mom posted:

welfare as you yanks say.

I have not paid any tax since 2001.

I get everything for free because I am "disabled".

I dont even have to pay council tax as I get full benefit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm going to report you to dwp with these posts as evidence

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

i'm going to report you to dwp with these posts as evidence

rear end in a top hat. everybody fiddles it.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

at least we don't have a bunch of slavers and genocidal maniacs on our money

Yeah, and look where your softness has got you. You can't even wrest control of your little handful of islands from Ginger Catholic terrorists.

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Up the RA

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

If you earn enough you can be taxed on your benefits, but I mean if you're getting that much in your pocket you should probably live the Tory Rational Welfare Claimant dream and hire an accountant (which is itself tax-deductible).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yudo posted:

this is wrong though. Anglo-Saxon is germanic, but the grammar got simplified and lots of vocabulary re-purposed or added due to being invaded and owned by the Danes. Then tons of new word were added from french when the Normans invaded and owned. This later was a vector for greek and latin words to sneak in, though in force well after the plantagenets were dust. There are a relatively few import words from Arabic and Hindi, but the bulk of vocabulary is French or Saxon and the grammar is largely retained from where most cases were dropped post viking invasion.

Celtic and pre-saxon Latin had very little influence (or none at all) on the mongrel that is modern English, whose origins are wrought from a lovely island's continual invasion and defeat by its superior neighbors.

ah, cool! yeah I guess I forgot about the Norman yolk and Vikings. English is pretty hosed up.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadow posted:

Not a hell of a lot considering the queens not only on their money but according to written law, she has the power to dissolve their entire government.

lol

I really, really wish she would.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol at the brutality of our class system. i once gave lip to a baronet... you do get used to losing an eye, eventually...

enjoy your three jobs and lifelong career bagging groceries though :911:

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

well in scotland you can go to university for free and you have free healthcare so it's p good and i guess 'easy mode' except that there's a real chance you might wind up an alcoholic but it sure as poo poo beats paying 9 grand per academic year to study in england lmfao

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

razamataza posted:

well in scotland you can go to university for free and you have free healthcare so it's p good and i guess 'easy mode' except that there's a real chance you might wind up an alcoholic but it sure as poo poo beats paying 9 grand per academic year to study in england lmfao

I dont know why you ginger cunts get free prescriptions.

Before I became disabled I had to pay like £100 a year for pre-payment certificate.

Why didnt you ginger cunts all vote leave?

We dont want you as part of our kingdom.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tramadol Junkie posted:

I dont know why you ginger cunts get free prescriptions.

Before I became disabled I had to pay like £100 a year for pre-payment certificate.

Why didnt you ginger cunts all vote leave?

We dont want you as part of our kingdom.

Its actually their kingdom, England and Scotland were united by the king of Scotland being given the crown of England too

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is the IRA or Real IRA or True IRA or whatever the gently caress they are now called still a thing?

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Avalanche posted:

Is the IRA or Real IRA or True IRA or whatever the gently caress they are now called still a thing?

Yes

Up the RA

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

Its actually their kingdom, England and Scotland were united by the king of Scotland being given the crown of England too

But we stole their scone

or stone scone

or whatever is was called

so they couldnt coronate another monarch in Scotland

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Avalanche posted:

Yes but they're too busy dealing drugs to plant any bombs now.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Yudo posted:

this is wrong though. Anglo-Saxon is germanic, but the grammar got simplified and lots of vocabulary re-purposed or added due to being invaded and owned by the Danes. Then tons of new word were added from french when the Normans invaded and owned. This later was a vector for greek and latin words to sneak in, though in force well after the plantagenets were dust. There are a relatively few import words from Arabic and Hindi, but the bulk of vocabulary is French or Saxon and the grammar is largely retained from where most cases were dropped post viking invasion.

Celtic and pre-saxon Latin had very little influence (or none at all) on the mongrel that is modern English, whose origins are wrought from a lovely island's continual invasion and defeat by its superior neighbors.

I love this poo poo. :allears:

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Yudo posted:

Some holdover words like children and oxen are examples of the types of inflection endings we used to have in Old English. When the Danes arrived in England, they basically spoke a cousin language to English but the endings were different. To ease the confusion, a lot of the endings were dropped.

Word order didn't used to be so important in Old English because the individual word was modified depending on the context. Like if you look at the word steal, it would be conjugated to stele, stilst, stǣlon, stǣlen, etc. to fit the meaning you wanted to get across. With the simplified grammar sentences began to rely on the "Subject, verb, object" structure that we have today in modern English.

So yeah, English is at heart a Germanic language that lost most of its inflections due to the influence of another Germanic language which used different inflections, but then had a huge Latin vocabulary injection from French and Norman French (which retained some Scandinavian and idiosyncratic differences from other varieties of French).

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
id love to collect me giro evry month and head on down to the pub for a pint and a couple of Es. plus how could u ever take british cops seriously...aside from the food and the weather sounds like paradise to me oi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kesDdSND4

Tramadol Junkie
Aug 30, 2015

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Mariana Horchata posted:

id love to collect me giro evry month and head on down to the pub for a pint and a couple of Es. plus how could u ever take british cops seriously...aside from the food and the weather sounds like paradise to me oi

[video type="youtube"]S9kideo]

Pro tip - if you declare yourself as an alcoholic here its classed as a disease and you will get full disability benefits so you can drink all day on the governments tab.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

WOOPS wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Avalanche posted:

Yep. They made a very weird and surprising comeback a year or two ago which shortly fizzled out into nothing after a week. 'Suspicious packages' which did actually turn out to be bombs were sent to army recruitment offices, and a post office depot which is 50 paces away from where I live. Not sure how the royal mail depot came into things but it was an interesting morning. All bombs diffused and found to have a wiring signature known to be used by the IRA. The IRA later took credit for the bombs and shortly after went quiet again.

• Locked thread