Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

Is there a legal reason that many of these old characters are renamed as soon as they are introduced? Some kind of royalties evasion?

edit:

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, they probably have the complete rights. There's a wider playing card theme going on.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Why aren't you keeping up to date with the marketing material? This is how you end up in meetings with divisional HR reps.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Ugh I hate this stupid comic and it's not even right. The movie doesn't come out here for almost a week,still! All we have is nasty toxic air.

B-b-but nerds like Star Wars! He wants to see the Chinese premiere because

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gilchrist :ohdear:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I know it's a dumb old joke but man, that "Ralph's not here, man" cracked me up.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is there a legal reason that many of these old characters are renamed as soon as they are introduced? Some kind of royalties evasion?

edit:

Damned lies.

(the herp megathread has further testimony against Ripley and his LIES)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

This explains quite a bit about Rat.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (December 12, 1950)

Barnaby (May 19, 1942)

Nancy (January 26, 1943)

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil 01/04/15

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Got it, Neddy is cold and unfeeling towards her victims.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Broom Hilda

Gasoline Alley - It's a binary choice. Tell the Boog a lie about storks, or tell the Boog the graphic details of the night momma was tied down in the barn while ol' poppy was playing "Farmer Ben." There is no middle ground!

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Look at that expression, the kangaroo wife just realized how unhappy she is being married to such a manchild. :(

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

"Want to schedule another session?"

"No, your universe is about to vanish."

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Brilliant.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It may or may not help to know that that final panel is a reference to another comic, Overboard. It's about a bunch of people and animals who live on a ship. The ship is mostly irrelevant.

Oh, and that first strip I posted? It's not part of a storyline or anything, that's all the context you get.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 7, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 28-30, 1953)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sharay posted:

I usually don't share the artist's fears, but then I get to thinking about them and suddenly I do share them. This one, for example, seemed stupid at first but now I think it's terrifying.

^^ :hfive: ^^
Going back a couple pages for this (because I forgot to do so in my last post), but the fears aren't those of the artist, at least not initially. They're user-submitted at his Tumblr page.
Excellent.

Tiggum posted:

Overboard
Just to be sure, this strip's never really good, right? Or did it just lose the funniness over time?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set ponders history.

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is sponsored by TLC.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Just to be sure, this strip's never really good, right? Or did it just lose the funniness over time?

I couldn't tell you. It's never been good since I've been aware of it, but I wasn't reading it in the '90s.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I couldn't tell you. It's never been good since I've been aware of it, but I wasn't reading it in the '90s.

From my memories as a childe I can guarantee you that Overboard has not ever been a good comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

You damned goon, the activity known as "going out after work" is a bonding ritual humans partake in when attempting to initiate the relationship state known as "friendship." So order a soda and nachos and either ignore or feign interest in the sports and maybe you'll surprise yourself and have a good time. Geez, I can't believe Sporting Man is the one we're supposed to find irritating.

Also, I assume that tapping is just the sound of Skip shaking the pee off his dingus because there's no way that shadow he's bellied up to is meant to be a computer rather than a urinal.

Speaking of comics writers who have no idea how their characters come off to readers...

Luann

I guess this is going on all week.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 6, 2016

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Ha ha! It's funny because some unlucky person is going to have to sit on that seat cushion on the next flight!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Ha ha! It's funny because some unlucky person is going to have to sit on that seat cushion on the next flight!
I think after a 9CL character has been on board you just write off the plane.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Darthemed posted:

It used to be a lot better, but I'm not so sure you'd actually call it good. I've read a few older strips, which didn't have any animals in them, and they weren't nearly as dreadful. Personally I'd rate the older ones about the same as old Broomhilda (or a bit below that) which incidentally also didn't use to be as bad as it is today. Both were worse than old Wizard of Id, old (pre-preach) BC, old Beetle Bailey and similar stuff. So that should give you an idea, I hope.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Today's Intelligent Life:

I couldn't help but be determined inspired

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That's a lot of good effort used up on Intelligent life.

but honestly I have grown to love Barry out of spite, so it's cool with me.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I try not to read Intelligent Life, but from what I've seen of it Barry is the Tiffany of it, the character the author wants you to hate but, because of their own transparent loathing and ineptness, they wind up being the best character and the only sympathetic one of the bunch.

It's for about the same reasons too; all the other characters aggressive poo poo on them, and yet display no redeeming qualities of their own and present no reasons to sympathize with their plights beyond the author telling you to care about them. They've favored by the very universe they inhabit. Meanwhile, the "antagonists" are nearly never actually antagonistic, and are in fact the underdogs of the worlds they exist within, where everyone and everything up to the almighty creator of their universe is against them, and thus you want them to succeed.

This is a surprisingly common phenomenon, though it's easy to see why; bad writers don't have the capacity for nuance or making their characters truly sympathetic, so they declare their protagonists right by fiat. However, their being bad at writing also means that they cannot hide this and their intentions are clear as day, so we see their blatant favoritism and the stacked deck and instinctively side against it. Still, it's interesting; is this an established thing with a name, by any chance? It's sort of an inverse Mary Sue thing, where the one/few characters who aren't designated as Good and Right by the author are the ones we actually like.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 6, 2016

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Julet Esqu posted:

Speaking of comics writers who have no idea how their characters come off to readers...

Luann

Go gently caress yourself, Luann. At least Bernice has an actual problem, however milquetoast and white-girly it might be. You're just upset because other people's lives don't revolve around you.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County 2015, in which Binkley needs to work on his situational awareness.

Skippy (November 7, 1928)

Peanuts (January 4, 1969)

Mopey Pete's Bullpen Bubble

Crankshaft

Don't forget to add plenty of gasoline, Ed. Don't sweat it if you get some on the rug. It'll all burn off eventually. THE FUMES MEAN IT'S READY!

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (July 18-19, 1928)

Thimble Theater (July 25, 1929)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set wants to get close to you.

Working Daze is 0/2 on jokes this week.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix explores other dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

• Locked thread