Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Gosh, 2015 was a bang up year for mass shooting enthusiasts, racists, Islamists, and conservatives of all stripes! It was also not a bad year for homosexuals, people who thought the 2016 election couldn’t be as good as 2012, and people who like keeping the lights on in the US government. Will 2016 be better? Well, it is a leap year, a Summer Olympics year, and best of all, a presidential election year, so things are surely going to look up down! Maybe we'll even get to learn the real secret of Obama's America! Join us as we begin a new year in the January 2016 edition of the US Politics thread!

114th Congress Bingo Card

As we end the first year of the 114th Congress, it’s time to take stock and see what they’ve achieved recently, and what they’ll get done next year!

Other News, featuring the Clinton Corner

Hillary Clinton doesn’t believe rape victims (who claim Bill raped them). And that’s why you shouldn’t vote for Hillary.

In other news…

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in if I see them.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Good Riddance 2015

Now to await 2016 with a mix of optimism and dread

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If I'm grateful to Trump for one thing, it's that I don't have to hear all those dumb "Jurassic Park is popular, Bush vs Clinton is happening, are we in the 90s again?" memes.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

greetings uspol from the future

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This year is going to blow :(

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ohtsam posted:

Now to await 2016 with a mix of optimism and dread

A much more fitting thread title.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Welcome to the final year of the United States of America, people.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This year is going to blow :(

Impossible, there's a non-zero chance reince Pribus kills himself on stage at the convention.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trump 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Impossible, there's a non-zero chance reince Pribus kills himself on stage at the convention.

Gun in the mouth or ritual seppuku?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Crain posted:

Gun in the mouth or ritual seppuku?

Hooks up an IV bag of ethanol and experiences bliss before dying.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I just want to say I think it's hilarious that Carson was trying to spin having a whole bunch of senior staffers quit as Actually Good For Carson.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fishmech posted:

I just want to say I think it's hilarious that Carson was trying to spin having a whole bunch of senior staffers quit as Actually Good For Carson.

It is though! Clears the payroll of dead weight that's not helping the business.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Gonna be a good year... For me, a lot of you all are probably boned.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

You guys are all sounding like Trump is going to beat Clinton/Sanders in November. :gonk:

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

You guys are all sounding like Trump is going to beat Clinton/Sanders in November. :gonk:

America elected George W Bush twice.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

what happened posted:

America elected Barrack Obama twice.
That too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

what happened posted:

America elected George W Bush twice.

Debatable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Debatable.

Empty quoting this.

Keep your powder dry for the inevitable Trump landslide victory after he calls Hillary a oval office during one of their debates.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Over/under on the first mass shooting in the US?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fknlo posted:

Keep your powder dry for the inevitable Trump landslide victory after he calls Hillary a oval office during one of their debates.

Trump's "ex"-staffer Roger Stone is waaay ahead of you on this.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

One week

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
leftover churchchat from the last thread, relevance having been the whitest denomination u'know having its BLM banners vandalized but admittedly diverged from that

Ron Jeremy posted:

This is exactly what I was looking for when my wife and I went. Maybe I just went to the wrong one or on the wrong day. We went to the one in aptos. Maybe san jose?

I'm in the midwest and don't know much about the California UU congregations but there's definitely a lot of variation from one congregation to the next anywhere you go. UUism as a whole is run from the bottom up, with most decisions made democratically at the mostly autonomous congregational level, so if you have a congregation whose focus is humanism and social justice, they're going to choose a minister who feels similarly and prioritize those things in their activities, whereas others might call a Christian deist UU minister to their congregation and put all their efforts into more spiritual Sunday services, and still others might care more about their music program than anything else (church choirs are big and it's a democratic process, so...). Large congregations (for UUs, "large" is more than 400 or so) might have a couple of different interest groups like this, which can make for interesting and sometimes ugly congregational politics.

So yeah, definitely shop around and absolutely go on different days. Most churches have lay led services interspersed with the minister led ones, and you can get all kinds of weird things if you happen to show up on one of those days that might not (or might better, depending) give you a good idea of what the congregation is like as a whole. Also, many UU congregations have a rather weird tradition of taking the summer off, meaning the minister goes on some kind of sabbatical and the congregation has reduced (and frequently dull) programming with much less turnout during the summer months, so keep that in mind as well (ours doesn't do this and I'm glad because I found it kind of annoying at the other one I attended).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

They're alcoholics with a predisposition towards clinical depression.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's really nothing quite like starting off January 1 with your dad going off on how the Burj Khalifa didn't collapse despite being on fire and that vindicates Architects and Engineers for 911 Truth or whatever.

Happy New Year, D&D.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's really nothing quite like starting off January 1 with your dad going off on how the Burj Khalifa didn't collapse despite being on fire and that vindicates Architects and Engineers for 911 Truth or whatever.

Happy New Year, D&D.

It's like a logic puzzle

Jet fuel, steel beams melt

No jet fuel, steel beams do not melt

Therefore jet fuel can't melt steel beams

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Happy New Year, D&D.

i've been posting this on facebook all day

it's been great

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Before it is 2016 in all of the US

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

RZA Encryption posted:

Before it is 2016 in all of the US

lol

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
"At this point, I think his campaign is finished. He has money, but deflated staff and poll numbers"

How many candidates does this apply to? I can think of at least three

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Isn't mass in, like, 3 days or so?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
op failed to mention Paul Ryan's conversion to Islam

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I completely missed Bevin lowering the minimum wage in Kentucky, which would be hilariously ridiculous if it didn't affect a lot of people.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FlamingLiberal posted:

I completely missed Bevin lowering the minimum wage in Kentucky, which would be hilariously ridiculous if it didn't affect a lot of people.

Coal don't mine itself, especially now that the Chinese don't want none.

Can't save the coal industry if ya don't slash wages

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

Isn't mass in, like, 3 days or so?

It's customary in Catholicism to attend mass on New Year's Eve and/or Jan 1.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I know this isn't the media thread but, is there anyway we could start adding good news sources to stay caught up with politics and US bullshit in the OP? I'm thinking just having a list like the Atlantic, the New Yorker, the WSJ, the NYT, National Review (gives a good look into conservatism), or other actual "good" news sources. We could add things like media matters, politifact, 503, zero hedge, or any of the other alternative news sources or new media.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At the very least, he's showing up wasted.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wait, what? I heard that 14 states were raising it, but KY is lowering it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Riosan posted:

At the very least, he's showing up wasted.

Yes, that's what they elected him to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Riosan posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/12/23/3734771/governor-strips-voting-rights-lowers-minimum-wage/

• Locked thread