Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JFairfax posted:

i don't understand how pissflaps found the time to make a baby

quote:

There have been 174280 posts made by Pissflaps, an average of 36.15 posts per day, since registering on Oct 20, 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Given the current mood in Europe I doubt it'd be that hard to stir up an EU embargo against the Saudis, and then declare that the EU will only trade with countries that also adhere.

We don't support and trade with the Saudis because the governing establishment likes them, we do it because the governing establishment's view is that the alternatives to the current Saudi regime are either chaos, or ISIS: there is no moderate democratic replacement waiting in the wings. Given the critical importance of Saudi Arabia in the middle east, any collapse of the current regime would likely mean a Syria style conflict spreading across the entire region, which nobody wants to see and which would be a hideous nightmare to deal with.

Once you understand this view (which, frankly, seems a plausible enough one to me), you can understand why we behave as we do towards the Saudis: an unpleasant regime, able to maintain at best a brittle stability, is nonetheless preferable to the alternative of chaotic instability.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JFairfax posted:

this is fine, but you could say exactly the same of Saddam, Ghadaffi and Assad.

Well yes, quite. The reason the West has bottled out of trying to overthrow Assad* and doesn't even contemplate touching the Saudis** is because the previous disasters caused by toppling Saddam and Gaddafi have been sufficiently off-putting.

*Making pompous declarations that "Assad must go" without any sort of diplomatic or military attempts to back this up does not count as trying to overthrow him imo.

**Additionally, the Saudis have also been much more successful at pushing themselves as an essential stabilizing force that the West needs to do business with than certain other (now defunct) regimes.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Has Danczuc ever had a relationship that DIDN'T end with the woman despising him and spilling all to the tabloid press?? It's almost as if it indicates something about the man's fundamental character.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

JFairfax posted:

the west threw tons of weapons at the 'moderate' opposition forces who want to depose Assad and some of those 'moderates' and plenty of the weapons and trucks have made their way to ISIS.

/e but yes aside from arming the opposition, providing them financial support (which has sometimes backfired) the west have stopped short of invading syria.

The West doesn't really know what it wants in Syria: it doesn't like Assad, doesn't like ISIS, has very serious doubts about the 'moderate' opposition forces and very very definitely doesn't want to invade and take a shot at sorting the whole mess out themselves. The result has been years of vacillation and various halfhearted initiatives that invariably peter out without achieving anything.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I was wondering where Pissflaps had got to until I checked the Lepers Colony....

quote:

Stop reporting people for making fun of you. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

My Granny does that round her council estate but they don't grow all year round.

Meh, every time I'm in the countryside I see whole FIELDS full of corn and potatoes and stuff. It's just sat there growing: all you need to do is pull it out of the ground!

Feckless poors just can't be motivated to do that.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

Hi guys,

What do you all think of the littering fine increase? I thinks it's good but not enough, because only utter cunts litter on purpose and should be fined enough to pay for the running of our wonderful nation.

Source: Worked in woodland management.

I think that people that drop litter in the street should be forced to pick it up with their mouths and then crawl on their hands and knees to deposit it in the nearest bin, while a hard-faced nun marches behind them, ringing a bell and shouting "Shame! Shame! Shame!"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like how the newspaper consensus is that Cameron allowing open dissent in the cabinet is Shrewd and Strong, while Corbyn doing the same is Weak and Shambolic.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fans posted:

It's really thanks to the press too, if they hadn't bigged up some completely insane poo poo like Diane Abbott becoming the Defence secretary and the entire front bench resigning over Benn getting fired people might have cared when they tried to make out two relative nobodies as martyrs. As is they've made Corbyn look amazingly restrained.

My suspicion is that they were hoping Corbyn would get rid of a lot more people, like Hilary Benn, they could then gloriously fall on their swords along with even more shadow ministers and topple Corbyn in the resulting crisis. They did their best with the material they ended up with but it ended up as a damp squib rather than the spectacular counter-revolutionary explosion they were betting on.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well, he actually did it, which is undeniably a (small) point in his favour.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
An articulate and devastating takedown of the recent behaviour of the Blairites from small c conservative Tim Stanley:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/12088221/Jeremy-Corbyns-Labour-critics-have-got-more-cheek-than-a-baboons-bottom.html

Edit: godammit

Pistol_Pete fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 8, 2016

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Prince John posted:

In a sidenote, I think I'm randomly going to be moving to Norwich for a job - what's it like?

I went to Norwich just to have a look at it last year. It's an isolated city, which has allowed it to retain a lot more individual character than other places. It's got tonnes of medieval buildings and churches in the centre and a ginormous cathedral. Lots of good pubs, an old-fashioned market and, slightly incongruously, loads of strip clubs (I was puzzled by this until I realised Norwich must be the only place within a 30 mile radius where this sort of thing is available for stag nights etc).

I imagine you wouldn't have to live there too long before your boundaries started to shrink and the rest of the Uk began to seem a looooong way away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Either the developer is an idiot or something else is going on.

As this deal involves property, there is indeed a high probability that the developer is an idiot.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

lol https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/685470941078511617

I await the next Dan Hodges anti Corbyn hit piece with glee.

"...according to sources close to the Labour leadership..."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Extreme0 posted:

Either Corbyn has snapped or he got accessed by someone else.

Bypassing the traditional media and going direct to the electorate: I like it!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I work in the industry and the North Sea was well known even before the oil price crash for being bloated and super-inefficient on top of its output being in long term decline. Even if prices rapidly recovered from now onward (they won't), oil revenue would supply no more than a modest long-term boost to Scotland's finances.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kustomkarkommando posted:

Production is falling in the North Sea though and the large levels of capital investment required to update existing infrastructure is a major investment that many companies don't seem to keen on as far as I know - decommissioning is just as expensive though so letting the rigs run with cut man hours let's them extract what they can get while they still can.

Exploration has tapered off as well even with the government directly covering part of the cost.

Oil companies with assets in the North Sea are selling them off as fast as they can to whatever idiot thinks they're picking up a cheap bargain. To extract a barrel of oil from this region costs about $50 and with a selling price of $30 per barrel, well, you do the maths. Fresh investment is utterly unthinkable at those prices and it becomes highly questionable whether it's even worth continuing to run existing wells. A few years with oil at $30 and there'll be no more oil industry in the North Sea.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd love to see this language requirement applied to British expats who've retired to Spain and France.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Nope :)

I'm glad he won and hope he continues to consolidate his position as recession looms (destroying the Conservative's boasts of building a strong economy) and the EU referendum approaches (causing the Conservatives to dissolve into a squabbling rabble).

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

serious gaylord posted:

I'm kind of surprised that one or two of the future tory leader candidates haven't thrown Hunt under the bus already. They can't all be so thick that they fail to see how unpopular he is?

He passes the important tests of being a posh public schoolboy, who David Cameron's known for a long time and feels comfortable around. One of us.

I'm not even being cynical, I genuinely think that's why he's still in office.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Guys guys I don't think the Telegraph likes Jeremy Corbyn very much!

quote:

Mr Corbyn's lack of gumption would imperil the Falklands

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn's Trident policy: spend £137 billion to save one job – his own

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn is no pacifist – he wants to see Britain defeated

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn won't name his cat and instead simply calls it 'the cat'

quote:

Corbyn's plans to curb company dividends 'completely potty', business leaders say

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn attacked by sacked shadow cabinet minister Michael Dugher over Trident 'disaster'

quote:

David Cameron is revolutionising PMQs – and Jeremy Corbyn has no answers

quote:

Exclusive: Jeremy Corbyn accused of plotting to 'stitch up' upcoming by-election

quote:

There are six rules for a good reshuffle. Jeremy Corbyn broke every one of them

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn's hard Left plotters branded 'croissant-eating London-centric mansion owners' by Labour grandee Lord Watts

quote:

The BMA has Corbyn fever and is more interested in politics than patients

All that's just from the last WEEK :ohdear:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The list could have been 2 or 3 times longer: I just picked out my favorites.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

It's funny how much everyone agrees on nationalising the railways and limiting directors' bonuses, and on the Tories being a bunch of grasping toadies, and yet think Cameron is a good Prime Minister and Corbyn would be an awful one.

The power of the media, getting you to vote against your own interests even as you are aware it's happening.

These aren't election-deciding issues, unfortunately!

For Labour to win in 2020, they will need clear, simple and attractive positions on 3 issues: the economy, housing and immigration. They have to be able to convince the electorate that they're sound on the economy, that they can mitigate the housing crisis and that they'll do something about immigration. This will require policies that can be reduced down to a few easily understandable sentences and repeated endlessly in news soundbites for at least a year before the general election.

I've seen a few posters in the thread pointing out that most people just don't take that much interest in politics and boy is that true. On the subject of party policies, Peter Mandelson said: "When you're saying it for the 100th time, they're hearing it for the 1st time". Key policy soundbites have to be repeated over and over: in interviews, on the radio, in newspaper headlines etc until people unconsciously internalise them and associate them with Labour without even thinkīng about it. In the 2015 election, the Conservatives were extremely good at doing this, concentrating on the economy and pushing the same few simple lines utterly relentlessly. Labour, by comparison, were poo poo, wobbling all over the place, with Ed Miliband giving long, thoughtful speeches whose content was reasonable enough but too complicated to be absorbed by the public in the same way that: "Long term economic plan" was.

Yes these 3 policy areas are difficult but they're also the ones that the public happen to care about.

1) The economy. Labour's failure to convince on this pretty much lost them 2015 by itself. Labour really was unforgivably weak on this after 2010, awkwardly avoiding the subject of the 2008 crash and allowing the Conservatives to establish the counter-narrative that Labour caused the crash by spending too much on poor people. The same will happen in 2020 unless they really get their act together.

2) Housing. Come on, how hard can this be. Build 3 million new council houses, tax landlords into oblivion, job done.

3) Immigration. Another bastard hard one for Labour. Labour thinks that immigration is generally a good thing, while being well aware that the vast majority of the population does not agree. In the last few years they've sometimes weakly defended it, sometimes unconvincingly tried to sound tough on it and most of the time tried to pretend it isn't an issue. I haven't a clue how they'll solve this one, nevertheless, solve it they must!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've been reading the wh40k thread in BYOB for the last 2 hours and now I've resurfaced, all the news sites are suddenly screaming about us being on the verge of another 2008 financial collapse. What happened? What did I miss?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Going to sell my flat quick, before the prices crash. I'll have so much money, I won't NEED anywhere to sleep, probably.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The Eurosceptics have always seemed an odd bunch to me. They go on and on about how much better we'd be out of Europe and they spend a good deal of their lives campaigning for this, so presumably they're serious about it. However, they never ACT like they're serious! This is a classic example: the referendum is their Moment, the first chance in 40 years to achieve what they've been fighting for and what do they choose to do at this crucial fulcrum? Split into warring groups and fight each other like rats in a sack. Like I said: odd.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

The standard of proof is normally that there needs to be a written note saying "I am actually ending my own life now. This is the thing that I am doing. Deliberately. With full knowledge as to the consequences of my actions."

And then you get hit by a car on the way to the bridge you were going to jump off of and it gets ruled an accident. :downsgun:

Yeah, there was this case in my home town this week:

quote:

A 21-year-old biker left his helmet and gloves behind and sped off into the rain and darkness minutes before he died.

Myles Murray, of Coalville, had told friends he was having a "really bad time" and that "everything was going wrong" before leaving his safety gear on the driveway and riding off.

quote:

Forensic crash investigator Pc Tim O'Donnell said Myles had missed a "moderate bend" on the B585 and carried on straight through bushes, trees and foliage at about 70mph - collecting branches as he went.

quote:

...coroner Ms Hull said: "I find that Myles died as a result of a road traffic collision.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's going to be bad. Immigration is one of the things that Labour can only touch by lying about it until the plebs get confused by shapes and sounds. This country is full of ignorant loving trash and this is political suicide. Corbyn is just too nice for this country and someone is going to end up shooting him because he let the Irish islamic hoardes take our Falklands.

We have an aging population and aren't having enough children so we do genuinely need immigration to keep the generations balanced. In addition, so long as British people are able to study and work and retire in any country they like, it's rather difficult to deny foreigners who want to study or work or retire in Britain the same privileges.

The Tories actually have a sensible approach to immigration (sensible for the fortunes of the Conservative Party at least): talk loudly about how much they're against immigration and how much they'd like to see it reduced, make well-publicised announcements on how Tough they're being on the immigrants but in reality do absolutely nothing, because they're well aware of how necessary it is for our society. Jeremy Corbyn is much too principled to do this, of course and will insist on continuing to make a reasonable case for immigration in the teeth of the electorate's disapproval.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

/r/worldnews is basically Stormfront. The downvoting facility that Reddit has tends to encourage a hivemind mentality and that particular sub-reddit has become dominated by a bunch of raging islamophobes who obsess endlessly over alarmist stories about unstoppable tides of brown muslim refugees and downvote any moderate opinions into oblivion.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oberleutnant posted:

Nice selectve quoting there, but that particular choice you've made is rather overwritten by:

That is nothing less than the implication of a coup.

The army's down to about 80,000 men: how the gently caress are they going to launch a coup in a country of over 60 million people? We know perfectly well from their recent performances that it's beyond them to maintain order in a single province (Basra or Helmand), let alone an entire country. Who cares what some crusty old fart of a general is darkly muttering about : it ain't gonna happen.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Eh, I own a copy of Marighella's Minimanual of the Urban Guerilla, we'll (probably) be fine.

Do you want to form a firing group with me? I'm not sure about having fights with tanks but I'd be well up for putting revolutionary stickers on lamp posts and stuff :kiddo:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

I'll fight a tank, I've always wanted to try fighting a tank.

In Planetside, I've often been able to evade tank shells by randomly changing direction and jumping high in the air. I'd imagine much the same principles apply in real-life confrontations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Your name has been added to UKMT Resistance General Command. Onwards!

We'll need to have a well-organised movement in place for when this right wing military coup kicks off.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mister Adequate posted:

But in a country like ours the ability, or not, to take in a decent number of refugees and/or immigrants isn't realistically rooted in our true infrastructural limitations, it's rooted in a failure to invest in, maintain, and expand that infrastructure, whether for reasons of Westminster politics, Tory ideology, NIMBYism, or other.

Yeah, this. Most of Britain is completely empty countryside (think about what you saw from your window the last time you got on a plane) and there's room to build tons and tons and tons of additional housing and other infrastructure without even starting to come close to the lazy cliche of "concreting over the countryside". We don't fail to build housing because we're full up: we fail to build housing because the British public don't want it as much as they want other stuff.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Dabir posted:

Could this be the most easily trolled thread in D&D?

YES. It's got to the point that if I log onto d&d and see 200 new posts I immediately know it's a multi page derail over some trivial bullshit spawned by a gleeful poo poo-stirrer. If I was a troll, I'd target this thread constantly in the knowledge of how easy it is to wind the regulars up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oberleutnant posted:

They would attack down one alley or road, get beaten back, disappear, and then five minutes later come from another direction - hoping to catch us from behind or catch an isolated group. Market square is a big open area with lots of entrance and exit points and police had nowhere near the numbers to control all routes, so fash would try one that was unguarded, it would kick off for a few moments, then the police would rumble in and separate, the fash would dart down an alley or through the shopping centre and come from another angle. I think there were more than 60, but by that point in the day we had lost a lot of our number - a poo poo-load on our side bailed after the first big confrontation outside a church one or two roads away.
It's worth noting that the police made no effort whatsoever to restrict the fash today. None at all. They had total freedom of movement all the time, and the police only intervened to keep us kettled away from them.

Anyway, market square has this big podium in the centre where we guess the fash wanted to wave their stupid loving flags and do hardman poses or whatever, but ~no pasaran~

Sounds like a fun day out! It's kind of telling that, for all the apparent anger over immigration, only 60ish people out of a population of 63 million were motivated to turn out and break things. Good old-fashioned British apathy saving the day once again :britain:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

No I've had to severely cut back on my drinking since 150-170 units / week was technically killing me. Also literally killing me.

I'm posting like this because I didn't fall asleep until 4:10 this morning and had to get up at 10 to 8. Felt bad yo.

Were you REALLY drinking that much in a week?? In a really heavy weekend, I might get through 50 units and I regret it for days afterwards.

I'm actually drinking a lot less now, 'cos I got a Fitbit and was taken aback to discover that a single night of heavy drinking would mess up my resting heart rate for a week afterwards. Perhaps I'm just getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

Bubble, bubble toil and trouble
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a3163f5c-c8ff-11e5-be0b-b7ece4e953a0.html#axzz3yxd0p7L4

Ah yes, the famous sub-£600k starting point on the housing ladder. Are you all looking forward to putting £240k into some banking analyst's first flat? 'Cause that's what we're all going to be doing here, as well as eating the lion's share of the loss if/when prices fall.

Absolute insanity. The infuriating thing is that there's no reason why there can't be cheap, secure, high quality housing for everyone (we're a rich country and after all, a house is just a box of bricks with electricity and water piped in) except that we've collectively decided that the opposite should be the case. The combination of existing homeowners wanting rising prices and the fact that the survival of our financial system depends on spiraling housing costs has utterly hosed the younger generation.

• Locked thread