Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Happy New Year, Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

So how about that new propaganda movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AsOdX7NcJs

Saw this trailer at the pictures last night. Still can't decide if it's supposed to make me pro- or anti-west.

PS star wars is surprisingly good

Why does every goddamn trailer have the Inception BWAAAAAAHs in it these days?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

EvilGenius posted:

(PRESS PLAY ON CONSERVATIVE TALK BOY)

Wow, this is crazy. But if it does what it says - e.g. prevents vote pairing and forces the Tories to actually do their loving jobs - then I struggle to see it as a totally bad thing right now. And presumably the Government also benefits from Short money which they would presumably also lose?

I guess not, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

No, the government does not receive Short money. Short money exists because the government can draw on the resources of the civil service when doing research and policy work and so on whereas opposition parties cannot; its purpose is to give the opposition parties funding to compensate for this and help cover the costs of doing parliamentary business.

Fair enough. Definitely worse than I thought then. The rapid descent towards outright fascism continues.

E: and really, really reinforces why the austerity narrative is the single most important thing for the opposition as a whole to challenge and break down. It's being used as an excuse for so many of the things the Government are doing to gently caress up the country right now.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 2, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Namtab posted:

Cool hyperbole

Because cutting off the resources used by the opposition isn't that?

Let's see, in the past few months we've seen the conservatives:
- Dramatically throttle the already limited powers of trade unions to strike in their members' interests
- Cut off large amounts of political funding from those trade unions to the parties they support
- Threaten to neuter the second chamber for doing their job of vetting and challenging lovely legislation and underhanded tactics
- Threaten to cut off the funding which allows the opposition to act on a level playing field with the Government.
- Repeatedly lie about the motivations of the opposition and utilise a friendly press to make out that the opposition are everything from a security threat to outright terrorist sympathisers
- Start a war (or exppand it to an new country, anyway) with a nebulous and ill-defined foreign enemy in order to stir jingoistic fervour
- Repeatedly demonise the leaders of the opposition for any number of imagined slights to said jingoistic fervour

I don't know about you but I'm getting progressively more and more terrified of Cameron and cronies right now. And this is only 8 months into a 5 year term.

e: some relevant historical fact I don't know.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 2, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'd add in Cameron's talk of Christian values and Nicky Morgan going on TV and saying children should be taught that Britain is a Christian country too. Co-opting religious imagery to stir popular support and pointedly "other" an undesirable group is an old fascist favourite.

My list was by no means intended to be a complete or exclusive one; I could have made a much longer one if I'd taken 5 minutes to actually look up some stories.

Namtab posted:

Tory policies are hurting the vulnerable, yes.
Tories are literally Hitler, no

I didn't say they were literally (or even figuratively) Hitler. I said they were rapidly moving towards fascism.

Tory policies have been hurting the vulnerable for an entire parliamentary term, now. This is about more than just that, this is about them cutting off the power of the opposition to actually OPPOSE them, it's about removing the checks and balances that theoretically are supposed to prevent horrible abuses of power in our political system - the second chamber, the opposition, workers' representation. This is the point where they'd also be doing horrible things to the press if the press wasn't already massively biased towards them anyway.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dabir posted:

In mathematics, a sequence which 'tends towards' 1 does not actually reach it. For instance: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, each element is a little closer to 1 than the last, but even an infinite number of elements would never actually reach 1. So in the same way, perhaps the Tories could be said to tend towards fascism.

In that given enough time they will be essentially indistinguishable from it, yes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Renaissance Robot posted:

Right-authoritarian is like 90% of fascism. Plus I'd argue that even though their policies are actively hurting the country, they embrace the rhetoric of national renewal ("making Britain great again" etc) strongly enough for it to be reasonable to say that's what they're about.

Seriously, the whole line of their argument is 'Brown wrecked the country in the crash, we must make it great again, austerity is the way to do that, the shirkers and benefit claimants and terrorists are the ones causing all the problems blame them'. If that's not right-authoritarian nationalism I don't know what is.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Looool gently caress the idea that constituency boundaries should... you know, represent the population of the country, right?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jedit posted:

Right, so he's openly stating that he plans to remove 50 MPs from other parties while leaving Tory constituencies untouched.

I'm not quite sure that's accurate - the exact quote is that all current MPs will be able to contest a constituency in the next GE, which might just mean he'll parachute some people he doesn't like any more into strong Labour seats instead of the current nonentity Tory candidates, but I tend to be very overgenerous in my accuracy.

E: I'm 99% sure he can't actually change the current slate of MPs without an election anyway, so all these boundary changes are for the next GE regardless.

It's a very clever way of doing it too, get the changes out the way very early in a term so most of the general public will have forgotten about them by the GE,, if they even cared in the first place. I'd admire it if it wasn't so terrifying.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 2, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

XMNN posted:

Yes, David Cameron will more than likely continue to play best friends with the Saudis because it would be difficult to do the right thing, but that doesn't change the fact that he isn't doing the right thing.

Tough Choices (for other people)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lunar Suite posted:

So the Independent, citing "a Corbyn ally", says "Jeremy Corbyn faces 'beginning of the end' if he fails to win 35 per cent of vote in May elections".

...Why?

Because we must set arbitrary targets we feel he will fail so we can prove he's failing like we want him to.

The nameless source is certainly not a Corbyn ally. Unless 'being in the same party' counts as an ally.

(What I kind of hope is that he blows right the gently caress past those arbitrary targets, rather like with Oldham, and just leaves those allies sputtering to try to seem happy congratulating him.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kaislioc posted:

How could you write a post on this without mentioning increasing the number of spies threefold and trying to get powers to spy on everyone in secret courts where it is also a crime to tell people exactly how the government is trying to hack people's PCs and their long standing commitment to getting rid of the red tape of the humans rights act so are boys can't be trialed for war crimes?

That was just what came to mind in the minute or so I spent writing the post.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

There's been some fun stuff on the twitters about #cleanforthequeen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

baka kaba posted:

So 4pm is the junior doctor negotiations deadline. All the articles talk about how compromises have been reached, but the remaining sticking points seem to be... uh, the main ones. Any insiders want to share what's going on and if strikes are probably going ahead?

BMA verdict: we're still all hosed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35225918

I've not yet got the relatively inside scoop which I'm afforded by my sister being a junior doctor, but to no-one's surprise the strike is back on, at a worse time for it to happen, and doubly annoying for me in particular, at a time I can't take time off from work to go out in support D: I'm hoping I'll be able to make it out for the February date, but this is the single worst possible time for me :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

So I assume a chicken sarnie with salad is fine if I make it myself with proper chicken? No buying special plates for it like kosher or anything?

I'm pretty sure you have to buy halal chicken to be sure; how they are slaughtered matters.

But it's probably worth finding out from local doctors what's happening; your presence at a GP would likely be appreciated, but most areas will likely be doing some kind of big central protest, because you don't get much return out of the single junior doctor who works at an individual GP surgery standing outside with one placard. Your presence would probably be much more appreciated there, and if people want to know where to find out what protests are happening locally to them, if you PM me I'll do my best to find out for you.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, whatever you may think of Corbyn, you must surely acknowledge that his tactics over this reshuffle have been abysmally bad. He started out with possibly the single most perfect issue with which to go after the Tories and push his anti-austerity narrative - they cut spending on flood defences heavily during the coalition and relaxed rural land use regulations in a way that increased the likelihood of severe flooding downstream - they literally helped to submerge northern England in order to save a few pennies and help their friends who own grouse moors. loving grouse moors! If they'd come out of the gates with a concerted attack on that issue, they could've been forcing the Tories to explain how saving a few quid and making sure that Tarquin and Jocasta can have a jolly good time blazing away at some dumb birds was more important than preventing York from flooding. But no, that would be too easy so we start the day with a big fuss about the cost of train tickets. I mean, OK, it's an issue, but it's just orders of magnitude less potent than "you're so blindly devoted to your cuts that you loving let Manchester flood you stupid bastards". Then, having basically given the Tories a free pass, we knock our own campaign off the front pages by conducting a reshuffle so now the story is all about ructions within the party and.... aaaskildhfnqskwgrt vfkafcdnasncv asd aqaaaargh.[/timg]

His handling of the reshuffle thing has been terrible in that basically all the press has been from unnamed sources and 'Corbyn allies' and seems to be virtually entirely spin, even now. I concur that Labour missed a big opportunity on the flooding, but conversely, it's not like ANY of the major news outlets would have carried the story in good faith anyway so

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

winegums posted:

Your GP won't be on strike, unless they're a trainee. This is a strike of junior doctors, so anyone below consultant/fully qualified GP will be on strike.

Take some sandwiches anyway.

One good thing that seems to be coming from this is a load of doctors are suddenly far more aware of politics. In the past quite a few doctors were rich enough to vote Tory or were politically apathetic/"I'm alright Jack" types. This whole process seems to have stirred up a lot more discussion in groups regarding dismantling of the NHS and neoliberalism in general. They've pissed off a very middle-class, traditionally conservative profession. I don't think this is going to work well for them whatever the outcome.

Many if not most GP surgeries will have at least one trainee - doctors remain 'junior' for a staggeringly long time.

I hope to goodness you're right. If Corbyn isn't on this like loving thunder tomorrow I'll be shocked and deeply disappointed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Renfield posted:

It's worth pointing out that junior doctors are not trainees, they are doctors who aren't consultants, surgeons etc yet.
They are training/studying, but they are not trainees

Except GPs, wherein the junior doctor ranks are actually called GP Trainees.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

And if he'd answered (whensoever that happened), the story would be about what they decided his answer was, rather than about him not answering.

Either way, the story is what they make it, not what he wants it to be.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fans posted:

They're not the only one's running a live blog. The BBC and New Statesman also have Live Blogs where gently caress all is happening and how that might affect Labour. I want to see which one breaks down and starts crying first.

So does LabourList. It's hilarious.

We also need to make #CorbynStare a thing right now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Except the articles would still be 'ANONYMOUS SOURCES SAY CORBYN IS PURGING CABINET*'

*More on page 9. *on page 9*: Corbyn denies any intention to reshuffle.

E: I mean seriously, it's not like any of the four other times anonymous sources have leaked reshuffle rumours it's actually come to anything, but the press have still reported it as cast-iron fact unapologetically.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 4, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If I were Corbs right now I'd be so tempted to find some way to clandestinely leak a revenge reshuffle about once a month, then spend an entire day holding one on one meetings with anyone and everyone who would turn up, just to troll the poo poo out of the dumbasses who liveblog non-news.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Has there even been any indication from Corbyn that he was planning a reshuffle in the first place? As far as I can tell, the entire story seems to be made out of whole cloth.

No. There really, really hasn't. This has all come from anonymous sources, 'Corbyn allies' and 'notable Labour party members'. Regardless of whether anything's actually happening (about which I'm still not certain), EVERYTHING so far has been essentially made up, for all the actual sources there have been involved and named.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Danczuk was on newnight just by the by, from about 2244 onwards. It was an amazing display of disconnection and utter lack of contrition from someone who clearly doesn't actually think he's done anything wrong at all.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Doesn't everyone in rochdale hate him?

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Danczuk wins the support of the people that matter a bunch of pissed up Nazis:

Not... everyone...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jabby posted:

The Telegraph have literally added a timer counting up the seconds to their 'Reshuffle Live' page.

Corbyn is totally doing this on purpose, and it's awesome.

Well we're gradually moving towards day 3 of morons liveblogging a non-story they invented, so I really hope so.

I mean, the only thing that's vaguely newsworthy that's come out of it is Dugher and that's not even formally confirmed yet.

The real worry is that this has been entirely invented just as Corbyn was trying to launch a new policy initiative and just after the flooding which was basically entirely the fault of dear Cambo, and it's doing a grand joob of distracting from that :smith:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Angus Robertson asked a good PMQ.

David Cameron LIED HIS loving TITS OFF in response.

It's disgusting that he gets away with this.

E: I mean, I really am forced to wonder whether he's even aware of the realities of the Junior Doctors' contract, or whether he's just believing the spin Hunt is spinning.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 6, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Possibly it's paranoia from reading Jon Ronson's book, but he may actually be a psychopath.

OwlFancier posted:

Or an idiot.

winegums posted:

Alternatively, he's just bullshitting. "I, too, am a parent with parental concerns. I understand your worries, huddled masses".
It can be all three. It's all three.

E: 6 January 2000: Pyrenean Ibex confirmed extinct.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 6, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Possibly becoming aware that blaming the oncoming financial crash on Labour won't work this time, Osborne is getting in the "it's literally everyone else's fault except ours" excuses early.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/07/george-osborne-warns-uk-economy-faces-cocktail-of-threats

Am I the only one who saw (the BBC's version of) this article and thought 'I don't know what cocktail Osborne's been taking, but it's sure as poo poo not 'threats to the economy''.

The biggest threat to our economic growth is austerity. Someone, anyone... EVERYONE in the Labour party (and the SNP, and the Greens, and any party that claims to be remotely progressive) needs to start saying that loudly and constantly.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

The SNP is pretty much saying that constantly.

I wish I could see it more, but, you know, middle England.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

J_RBG posted:

I think she's not as persuasive and overall competent as other politicians, but that's not a particularly huge deal. No politician is perfect so let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the level of opprobrium and ridicule directed at Diane Abbott isn't because she's a black woman

I'll take benign incompetence over competent evil any loving day.

Competent evil like, say, Jeremy Hunt.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

So the BBC, in its chase for a political scoop, convinced one of the Labour shadow ministers to resign live on air 5 minutes before PMQs started, ensuring that it would cause the maximum amount of damage:

I think this this is quite interesting because, while it could be argued that a live on air resignation is a great coup, I’m not sure it’s the job of the BBC’s political editor to actively assist disgruntled shadow cabinet members attempt to inflict maximum damage upon their party leader. I imagine if she had assisted a junior government minister do the same, there’d be a fearful row about BBC impartiality. What do you think?

the cached version of the BBC blog is: [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tCufUeYIpA4J:https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/collegeofjournalism/entries/82a00c77-c0cc-4e79-99ca-25e9c21d01a7+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk[/url]
[/quote]
Just to pop this bullshit back up again, for someone who's apparently keeping her head down...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35258182

Laura Kuenssberg loving hates Corbyn with a disturbing amount of passion.

Goddamn that's a good line and an impressive control of the interview from, to be fair, someone no doubt very used to giving difficult to swallow information to people not interested in hearing it.

E: again: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/12088804/Nigel-Farage-I-made-a-terrible-terrible-mistake-over-assassination-attempt-claims.html

Farage has twigged that people realised he just didn't bother to listen to the recall notice.

But on a much sadder note http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35268713 breaking news about a shooting in an Egyptian hotel.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 8, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ddraig posted:

It's one of those weird situations. I do happen to, on a very personal level, love the BBC. Always have. That's why it saddens me when they resort to poo poo like this.

There definitely needs to be some sort of reprisal, because they very clearly hosed up, and that is never acceptable, but they're in such a state that those who wish to destroy it find it that much easier to do so.

It's a real damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Seriously. Someone should loving hang for this, but you can guarantee that if anything happens at all, the people responsible won't, and the BBC as a whole will.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If any Oxfordshire goons want to know details of Oxford Deanery's BMA Junior Doctors' Strike protests please PM me and I will let you know.

Sadly I can't make it myself without resigning, though given that I loving hate my job...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

By the by, Doughty has released a statement claiming the BBC didn't coerce him into resigning, AKA the apology for the thing that nobody's saying is a particular problem. He had every right to resign, and no-one's saying the BBC forced him to.

They're saying the BBC persuaded him to do it live on national television 5 minutes before PMQs. Which he has conspicuously not even mentioned.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Which hit piece?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35258182

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If there's one thing the last 24 hours have told me, it's that if the anti-Corbyn "anonymous sources" in the Labour party actually supported Jezza and went after the Tories, they could actually wreck the government

Lol, the press only bother printing it because they want to gently caress Corbs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The people that are doing this consider their job to be, currently, screwing with the democratically elected leader of their own party because they think (probably quite correctly) that he threatens their future in said jobs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

and yet undermining him to the point where Labour approaches some sort of Lib Dem 2015 election slaughter is going to threaten their jobs too? Unless they're trying to force another leadership election before the next general election which would make Labour look even more unsuitable for government... wait, what the gently caress?

They are not rational about it can are not particularly thinking long-term, AFAICT.

The sum total of their long term thought seems to be 'if we can get rid of Corbyn and find someone ELECTABLE then we can win'.

They are loving idiots and the country desperately needs them to pull their loving heads out of their arses and start acting like adults.

Cerv posted:

i think you're overreacting don't you?

Minor case of hyperbole, I'll admit. How would 'be fired' sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

loving lol

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/685602288577167360

No no it was perfectly balanced and totally logical and the blog was only deleted because it was tonally inappropriate for the public, not because it made it patently obvious that our political editor who subsequently published a massive hate-piece about the leader of the labour party basically engineered a damaging live resignation minutes before the PM crowed about it to the leader of the labour party as a deflection to an important question about flooding.

• Locked thread