Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
As Christians might say about Jesus Christ, it's good enough to know that it definitely happened. When it actually happened isn't that important to the fact that it definetly, 100% for sure happened and we all know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

quote:

Mr Cameron said some people choose to "shout into megaphones, wave banners and sign petitions". He added: "But we're the ones who are able to make the arguments and take the difficult decisions in order to defeat these social scourges and deliver real security. So while others are on protest marches, we remain on the long walk to a greater Britain."

Sounds like a follow up speech to this one.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

please tell me that is an actual published comic where someone's taken David Cameron's words and put them into the mouths of the evil guys

It is an actual published comic from Marvel, last Augusts "Captain Britain And The Defenders".

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

If these MPs are MPs it's because they've been elected to the post. That's the democratic bit.

Deselection doesn't stop them being an MP.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

I think we're moving a long way from the message of ddraig's post which was specifically about removing those that 'undermine the party'.

That's one of the purposes of Deselection yes.

Pissflaps what is your actual point here, or are you just arguing over wording for no reason?

Fans fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 2, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

Your position is not hard to understand, but you didn't write ddraig's post.

Ddraig's position wasn't hard to understand and yet you still seem confused.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Politics never changes, let's just fight every election like the worst global financial crash the world has ever seen never happened.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Meanwhile Farage continues his tradition of near death vechicle accidents

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-feared-victim-assassination-7110018

But this time was it attempted ..... MURDER?

quote:

Ukip leader Nigel Farage feared tonight he was the victim of an assassination attempt after his car was sabotaged.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think it'll happen, everyone will freak out and then realize there's gently caress all they can do about it because Corbyn still runs the Labour Party right now.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The UK neatly avoids the whole issue by having no National Dish worth insulting.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I still can't believe people think Ed lost because he was too left wing, and not because by moving to the Center no one had any clue what the gently caress he stood for.

His one moment of fame and popular support is when he went full communist and threatened to actually do something about the energy companies prices.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...l-missions.html

quote:

Tony Blair and former ministers have been banned from staying for free at British embassies and using diplomats to help carry out their private commercial work, the Telegraph can disclose.

The Foreign Office said it wanted to prevent the “inappropriate use” of government staff and resources and avoid the perception abroad that such figures were representing the UK Government.

Instead, ex-ministers will only be able to make use of embassies and staff if they are working on official business.

quote:

It can also be revealed today how Jack Straw, who was foreign secretary under Mr Blair, asked the British ambassador in Ukraine to set up a series of meetings with senior government figures there on behalf of a client that pays him around £60,000 per year.

There probably should have been a law against this before now. The Foreign Office is not very smart.

Fans fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 3, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

dispatch_async posted:

How do you meaningfully criticise Tory policy from that position, when they are just going to reply "there's no money left so we need to make cuts"

"The gently caress are you talking about there's no money left. We're one of the richest countries in the world. I thought you said we were in a strong economy, you lying sack of poo poo."

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Arguing about the definition of a pedophile, on this day UKMT has finally become Reddit.

Fans fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 3, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder what photos Danczuk keeps with Tony Blair's head photoshopped on them. :gonk:

e- History Fact: This is the World's first photoshop.

Fans fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That mask will now haunt my dreams, but not as much as Tony's actual face.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
An MP was chatting up a 17 year old dominatrix behind his girlfriends back. It's not the great mystery of our times why the press is loving it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So yeah how about literally anything else.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4655778.ece

quote:

Hilary Benn, the shadow foreign secretary, and Andy Burnham, the shadow home secretary, have taken the highly unusual step of offering to swap jobs in an attempt to hang on to senior positions before Jeremy Corbyn’s first reshuffle.

Seems they can see when the writings on the wall.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I guess Burnham just wants to be in the Foreign Office. That and it makes him look good to both sides for both backing Hillary Benn and helping out Corbyn.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

serious gaylord posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...lking-away.html

I really wish he'd stop shooting himself in the foot in front of the media.

Not giving the Telegraph anything to work with is the correct way to handle that. There's nothing he could have said that would have gone better, he kept the focus on the Trains and the Telegraph wrote a complete non-story that no one else is going to pick up on.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
You'd think given the week he's had Simon Danzcuk would take a break from blaming Corbyn for everything and of course you'd be wrong.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/simon-danczuk-labour-mp-sonia-rossington-will-contact-police-claims-drink-fuelled-bullying

quote:

Simon Danczuk has accused “Corbynites” and other political opponents of fuelling a protest outside his constituency office in Rochdale in an attempt to gain political capital.

Speaking after his first wife Sonia Rossington told the Guardian on Monday that she would contact police over allegations of drug- and drink-fuelled bullying, the Labour MP insisted the demonstration was driven by political “extremists” on the far left and did not represent the view of his constituents.

I'd say you have to admit the mans commitment but that's clearly not one of his good qualities.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, more cheerfully, EU referendum polling to date:

I'm noticing the phone polling seems far more sure of itself than online voting. Wasn't there a study showing Phone polling to be far more reliable too?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Bullshit, only one of them has a beard they're not Communists at all.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Robot Mil posted:

There's something to be said for not playing the media game (in terms of being consistent with principles) but Corbyn needs to be smarter about what he DOES prioritise. Labour should have been banging on about the floods being directly the Tory/coalition governments fault from well before Christmas. Rail prices being ridiculous does affect a huge amount of people mind you, but I think Corbyn is too focused on his personal projects/pet issues etc. and not enough on what will be helpful to Labour as a whole party. He doesn't have to abandon his core values but timing is everything.

Then again even if he had been making a big fuss over the floods being down to the Tories I'm sure the media would have found a way to spin it to make Corbyn look bad.

Wouldn't be hard to see how. Blaming the Tories for the floods while they're happening makes you look like a right dick who's willing to turn people's personal tragedy into cheap political points. The floods haven't gone anywhere, there'll be plenty of time for finger pointing.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

WastedJoker posted:

Anyone else puzzled by the furore over Chris Gayle cheekily asking a lady interviewer out for a drink during an interview?

Edit: I'm asking in here because you lot generally know what's right and wrong.

It's a bit weird to respond to a serious sports question with

quote:

"To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush."

Sure "I'd quite like to gently caress you" is an appropriate response to some questions, but not usually questions about your Cricket batting style.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

They're not the only one's running a live blog. The BBC and New Statesman also have Live Blogs where gently caress all is happening and how that might affect Labour. I want to see which one breaks down and starts crying first.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

Yup. If there are no major changes then this has been handled loving appallingly by the Corbyn team. If there were no plans someone should have come out the day Corbyn got back from his Christmas break to say that Benn & Eagles will be safe & hey, haven't the Tories really hosed up dealing with flood prevention?

Wouldn't have worked. Anyone who wasn't Benn or Eagle would be up in arms with "What about me then! Does that mean it's me?" and he's either forced to do the reshuffle early due to his own leaks, which would be farcical, or refuse to answer in which case he's hanging members out to dry.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

Then say there are no plans for a reshuffle right now & hold it off for a couple months.

Then the press speculates for a couple of months anyway all the while the Shadow Ministers he hasn't removed but wants to talk poo poo about him knowing they've only got a few months left.

The press don't like him, so there is no way he can play stuff like this so the press is happy. It needed to be done and he's done it fairly quickly. He'll get a Shadow Cabinet he can hopefully actually work with and try turn things around without every week in the press having "An anonymous Shadow Minister said that Corbyn is literally the worst and running the party into the ground."

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

I certainly hope you're right but FYI, not actually saying he should play this to make the press happy. He should play it so the people who watch/read/listen to the press don't think he's completely out of his depth & utterly clueless.

That's impossible to do when he's got Shadow Ministers going behind his back to give the press quotes about how he's out of his depth and utterly clueless. He went in with a Shadow Cabinet that he felt would be conciliatory to those whose side lost in the leadership election, perhaps not realizing just how sore a bunch of losers they'd be.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

Right, great. Who is he replacing him with? You realise there simply aren't enough Labour left MP's to make up a cabinet?

That's bollocks. No one but a die hard "gently caress Corbyn" MP is going to pass up the opportunity to raise their profile by being a Shadow Minister. Labour has 231 MP's, he can find enough to fill a Shadow Cabinet.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

forkboy84 posted:

But you're not just looking for any old body, if you've just sacked Benn or Eagles then you're clearly wanting someone who will toe the line & not brief against the leader constantly. I'm saying finding enough of those people to fill a shadow cabinet will be quite difficult, especially as you can't just fill the Shadow Cabinet with first term MPs, & ideally it's helpful to have someone on the backbenches who supports you!

There's no real reason to sack Benn as he's a nice enough guy and clearly doesn't bear any ill will to Corbyn. He's just in the wrong position right now.

Maria Eagle is almost sure to go. Angela Eagle probably will as well. Lord Falconer maybe and that's all he needs to do. Rosie Winterton isn't a rebel even if the press wants to try make her out to be one and everyone else is pretty much on side.

It's not a mammoth task he's got here. He's going to have to replace two or three MP's and a wide field to choose from.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Noxville posted:

Eagle, Eagle and Falconer? Just what is with Jeremy Corbyn's sinister agenda against birds?

All birds that likely prey on Pigeons and we know Corbyn has very strong views about Pigeons.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Gonzo McFee posted:

Pretty much my thoughts on the situation as well.

I mean putting aside the patronising and insulting way she's presented her work so far the whole thing comes across as one of the most uninteresting and unambitious art projects ever conceived. "Can a middle class English woman live and work in Glasgow for a whole year with only £15K on top of her work to survive on!?" like she's off to film Gorillas in the mist or something? You'll get a deeper and more in depth analysis of the Glasgow Effect watching a box set of Rab C. Nesbitt than this.

Actually with that amount of brass neck and lack of self awareness she'll be lucky to make it to March.

Ellie Harrison already lives in Glasgow. The funding is for a project about if an Artist can make a living without traveling.

The answer is "Yes, obviously they can. That's a stupid question" and feel free to criticize the waste of money spent on that (Which is what the Facebook post is doing), but it isn't like she's a lost Englander doing some kind of Endurance challenge amongst the fearsome North Tribes. She already lives in the city, she's just found a way to get someone to pay her rent for doing gently caress all.

Fans fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 4, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

twoot posted:

Best thing about this reshuffle is that the hacks have had liveblogs running for up to 8 hours now with absolutely nothing to talk about and are at this point going a bit mad.

Somehow the Corbyn ship is surprisingly un-leaky today.

He's doing one on one interviews. If something leaks it's going to be completely obvious who did it.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Angepain posted:

They've been happy to take random speculation from the Labour equivalent of some guy down the pub for the whole run-up to this reshuffle, surely they can find some random backbencher's assistant to give his uninformed guesses on what might happen and publish that as "rumors abound amongst Labour sources we spoke to"

That's kind of what they're doing, though they're avoiding being definite right now because it's going to be announced tomorrow so it'd be stupid to make actual predictions based off bullshit.

The BBC is going with stuff like this.

quote:

Corbyn wants to act with care to avoid a bloodbath, as he seeks to maintain what has been called his “big tent” approach to politics – which involved appointing only a handful of his own supporters to the shadow cabinet, says the Guardian’s Nick Watt.

The Labour leader’s caution means that he has approached the reshuffle with a range of options on how to achieve greater coherence in the sensitive areas of foreign and defence policy.

His ideal solution would involve moving Benn and Eagle to other senior posts, but he acknowledges that this may not be possible if it would risk a damaging split.

He could then downgrade his ambitions to moving just one of the two or reaching an understanding that they would remain in post in return for acknowledging and respecting the mandate he received in the Labour leadership contest.

Which is really just a whole lot of nothing but speculation. The BBC got so bored of the reshuffle they put Danzuck news on the Live Blog, despite it having gently caress all to do with it.

The Newstatesman on the other hand is far closer to those tears I wanted.

quote:

So, that's it. The end. No new moves, no new appointments, no sackings either. Jeremy Corbyn held long meetings with Maria Eagle and Hilary Benn - but we don't know what the upshot was. Charlie Falconer was tipped for the sack - but we don't know if he's still there. I opened this liveblog at 2:30. It is now close to ten. I'm off to become a homegrown extremist.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
He's said he hasn't ruled out running in 2020, even if Labour kick him out earlier. I personally really want that to happen just to see if someone can get a negative vote share.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Prince John posted:

A quote from one of his ex's said that he was going to run as an Independent to "ensure that Labour loses the seat he won for them", so looks like he's counting on splitting the vote.

Unfortunately Labour will run on a platform of "Simon Danczuk is a dick and voting for us will infuriate him"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I wanted someone to cry over this reshuffle and now I think I got my wish.

http://news.sky.com/story/1616731/corbyn-keeps-us-waiting-for-reshuffle-news

I'd just read it and how utterly betrayed a journalist feels at having to wait for news. I don't believe that wasn't written with actual tears in the eyes. "Why won't Corbyn talk to us?" :qq:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Pissflaps posted:

The problem with reaching out to none voters is that they don't vote.

So voter turnout never increases?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

XMNN posted:

If he'd just told them from the beginning "gently caress off, I haven't decided how I'm going to proceed, that's why I'm meeting with my colleagues, go home and see your families" would they have listened?

No of course not. "Corbyn leads Labour into an ill thought out and rushed reshuffle. Tries to dismiss press as he forces his trotskyist agenda on the Labour Party. Sources disagree and say he definitely has it out for Benn and plans to make Diane Abbott the next James Bond"

Fans fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 5, 2016

• Locked thread