Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The love for undertale really reminds me of the stanley parable. both bad games that if you don't like them your dumb because you dont get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Reason posted:

The love for undertale really reminds me of the stanley parable. both bad games that if you don't like them your dumb because you dont get it.

Coming out of the 2016 gate with hot takes already, huh?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Reason posted:

Elaine at the movie theater watching The English Patient only it's Reason squirming in his seat as his friend makes him go on a date with the spoopy skeleton who loves spaghetti.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

have you checked out this game call undertale

i like it and your little kewpuh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The tiny Kamek is amazing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FactsAreUseless posted:

Every time Kewpuh make's a post now my head's all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAWoTonyhA

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sleeveless posted:

"It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances." says the middle-aged man using ten dollar words he learned from Dragonlance novels to tell kids to get off of his lawn.

What the hell happened to the art? How did it get so much worse?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dental problems.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like Undertale but I think its okay for other people to not like it if they aren't stupid about it. Just like every other video game.

Dr. Fetus posted:

:effort:

PA survives pretty much purely off inertia nowadays.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Every time I go to SDCC, I see the two of them sitting at their expensive, middle of the action booth staring alone with mild contempt as every other major web comic booth is slammed and theirs remains quiet. But then who the hell would go to SDCC to see the Penny Arcade guys?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

"It is insufficiently reverent, and does not perform the proper obeisances." says the middle-aged man using ten dollar words he learned from Dragonlance novels to tell kids to get off of his lawn.

I'm older than him and I have no idea what the gently caress he's saying here.

I mean, that's kind of a lie, I sort of comprehend his basic point, but it's so stupid and wrapped in double reverse irony I couldn't possibly give less of two hot shits.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

precision posted:

I'm older than him and I have no idea what the gently caress he's saying here.

I mean, that's kind of a lie, I sort of comprehend his basic point, but it's so stupid and wrapped in double reverse irony I couldn't possibly give less of two hot shits.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/12/30/
This kind of explains his literal insanity in regards to the issue.
Caring so little about a game that you make a comic about not caring about it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

When you write "I don't recognize it as a game" in regards to any popular game, it should be a clue to yourself that maybe you're full of your own poo poo and need to take a step back and let "the kids" enjoy what they enjoy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Like I can understand someone saying that about something like Yume Nikki where there's barely any gameplay to speak of, but Undertale has a bunch of standard game mechanics. Its not trying to push the boundary on what can be considered a game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

bloodychill posted:

When you write "I don't recognize it as a game" in regards to any popular game, it should be a clue to yourself that maybe you're full of your own poo poo and need to take a step back and let "the kids" enjoy what they enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nasgate posted:

Seriously, what happened to their noses? :barf:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Nobody has cared about Penny Arcade in years. Mostly because Tycho and Gabe are kind of douchebags and people started to realize.

PAX is decent though, not that they can take too much responsibility for that

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Grimace posted:

Nobody has cared about Penny Arcade in years. Mostly because Tycho and Gabe are kind of douchebags and people started to realize.

PAX is decent though, not that they can take too much responsibility for that

Even back in the day their success was entirely due to sheer luck and the fact that they hired an accountant to monetize them. They could shut down the comic today and live the rest of their lives off of PAX without having to pay taxes thanks to Child's Play.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nasgate posted:

the video game version of rap music

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Undertale is the Neutral Milk Hotel of video games

like I think I even said that a month ago or so

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Undertale is the Neutral Milk Hotel of video games

like I think I even said that a month ago or so
I don't think this even means anything except for what people project onto it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think this even means anything except for what people project onto it.

well, a lot of people actually do feel like they have to have a strong opinion about Undertale, just like at one point people felt like they weren't allowed to say "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea? I guess it's alright".

i'm just bitter that Her Story didn't become a much bigger deal, it just kind of came and went. at least the lady won an award on The Official Video Game Awards (that nobody watches or cares about).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

well, a lot of people actually do feel like they have to have a strong opinion about Undertale, just like at one point people felt like they weren't allowed to say "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea? I guess it's alright".

i'm just bitter that Her Story didn't become a much bigger deal, it just kind of came and went. at least the lady won an award on The Official Video Game Awards (that nobody watches or cares about).

paging voidburger

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Her Story doesn't translate as well to miiverse posts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bloodychill posted:

Her Story doesn't translate as well to miiverse posts.
It would do well as Vines.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have a friend who still reads PA and I asked when the art had become so bad and he hadn't even noticed.

The problem the art in PA is he's blatantly copying style choices from his friends who can draw and doing so without rhyme or reason so the art is just a loving ugly mess.

It's really funny how touchy both of them are about their "art" and how loving garbage they both are.

It doesn't help that the strip us bad and somehow continues to get worse, making strips from the darnedest things their kids said, or some had to be there in joke. Even their game tastes have gotten worse.

I just wrote too much about that. I rang in the new year with Bloodborne. It's amazing how much faster the second run goes. I started this morning and after just playing before my friend came over this afternoon, I'm already up to the forest.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

I think only Actual Children would get mad at someone who thinks Undertale is just ok.

Earthbound is one of my favorite games ever and I am a huge weenie so I'm firmly the target audience for Undertale, but I don't feel like I should be screaming at other people to play it or anything. You pretty much know if it's for you or not just by watching the trailer.

There is no need for anyone to get upset about this indie game. Or any other indie game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

undertale is a good game that people are excited about. not me though yawn at cute feelings. eagerly await a proper score attack shmup from this developer

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Oh my god.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Wow January 1st 2016 looks and feels a lot like December 31st 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i would buy undertale, but it's only $2 off so I'll get it when I have free time and less of a backlog

also PA is actually worse than CAD at this point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

My favorite thing about PA is how they keep interrupting their unfunny gag comic to do really lovely "creative" endeavors that no one in the world wants to read.

It's this cowboy who has magic powers! It's really deep guys.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lurdiak posted:

I think only Actual Children would get mad at someone who thinks Undertale is just ok.

Earthbound is one of my favorite games ever and I am a huge weenie so I'm firmly the target audience for Undertale, but I don't feel like I should be screaming at other people to play it or anything. You pretty much know if it's for you or not just by watching the trailer.

There is no need for anyone to get upset about this indie game. Or any other indie game.

Goons are mentally Actual Children and some of them definitely get mad about other people not liking the game they like.

IDK about Undertale specifically but it's happened with plenty of other games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes, yes, goons are terrible, all goons are bad except the goon saying goons are bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Lurdiak posted:

Yes, yes, goons are terrible, all goons are bad except the goon saying goons are bad.

Well they're no more terrible than the video game community in general.

But that's not saying much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

My favorite thing about PA is how they keep interrupting their unfunny gag comic to do really lovely "creative" endeavors that no one in the world wants to read.

It's this cowboy who has magic powers! It's really deep guys.

The guy who is the one that writes wants really desperately to be a good writer because that's his entire livelihood and he takes it really seriously but the problem is he's loving terrible.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Undertale is the new Braid.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Undertale is funny though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Meanwhile HELLDIVERS is an amazing game and you should all play it

I'm now sort of sad it flew by me when it first came out on the PS4 because that's the most fun I've had with a co-op game since... well, since Magicka, which is pretty appropriate since it's the same dev

• Locked thread