Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think he's been trying to move towards something more abstract and cartoonish, and has been for a couple years.

It doesn't really seem particularly different from his earlier work outside of more exaggerated shapes. Is there something specific he does that draws the ire of the Goonmind?

He found a perfect sweetspot like ten years ago. It was cartoonish with reasonably exaggerated hair and expressions. Looks like it was still in place by the time they started their "on the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness" series. I think soon after he started making all of the characters' noses red or a darker skin color, and things just devolved from there.

Looking at the newer stuff, everything starts to look like an eldritch abomination. Except for the actual eldritch abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
His art is lose and curves in a way that is typically used to convey motion but he doesn't actually understand this so you have these characters with lines all over the place just standing there.he copied the way he does teeth from Kurtz but once again he doesn't know how to use it so everyone looks buck toothed. Also, as noted, his noses are at least unique as far as I know but that's mainly because they look weird and bad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Was Tycho's prose always that impenetrable? Seems like that's the kind of post Polonius would make about Undertale.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Was Tycho's prose always that impenetrable? Seems like that's the kind of post Polonius would make about Undertale.

He got more and more insufferable as the comic went on. He's probably been like that since... 2002? Yeah, his posts have gotten to the point where he just wants to sound smart for the sake of sounding smart. It's the worst kind of thing. You can just imagine him doing a presentation to an auditorium with an attendance of 2 people.

MakeWarHarmlesser
Jun 29, 2009

For the longest time I honestly thought he wrote that way as a joke, like he was just keeping in character by talking like an insufferable rear end in a top hat. But it turns out that's just who he is in general I guess.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto posted:

Polonius like the Shakespeare character?

Because I would love to see a review series of famous characters from Shakespearian plays reviewing video games in Ye Olde English

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Because I would love to see a review series of famous characters from Shakespearian plays reviewing video games in Ye Olde English

do you know who polonius is because i would in fact argue most reviewers already emulate him pretty well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well, you're in luck.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

do you know who polonius is because i would in fact argue most reviewers already emulate him pretty well

I do not know who...is this a youtube person? Like Markiplier?

I like Tycho's blog posts but I only read the first paragraph and that's enough for me. It's kind of like a game in and of itself, and I have to piece together some kind of coherent statement from all of the loquaciousness.

However, I really liked the writing in the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness games, which were funny and decent, especially once they went 2-D and added a fun job system.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Polonius was the extremely wordy and kind of dumb guy in Hamlet. It's an amazingly good play and you should watch it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

"Brevity is the soul of wit" is actually a really good joke itself because polonius says it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

I think he's been trying to move towards something more abstract and cartoonish, and has been for a couple years.

It doesn't really seem particularly different from his earlier work outside of more exaggerated shapes. Is there something specific he does that draws the ire of the Goonmind?

They once did something to anger the insane variety of tumblrtards who demand safe spaces and trigger warnings irl so that means they hate women and minorities and now we must all hate them back. Also, they're popular with people who like video games which is a huge crime apparently

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

They once did something to anger the insane variety of tumblrtards who demand safe spaces and trigger warnings irl so that means they hate women and minorities and now we must all hate them back. Also, they're popular with people who like video games which is a huge crime apparently

:lol: are you for real?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that's actually really what happened, I know it's hard to believe.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

axleblaze posted:

Please don't quote Adam Bowen posts, it really...uhhh...-thumbs through handbook of ironic Tumblr buzzwords- "triggers" my "fee-fees".

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

axleblaze posted:

They made this:

Then when people got mad about the rape joke they started selling "dickwolves" t-shirts in their online store, which made people more mad, etc.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Glad to see we're having intelligent and innovative discussion in 2016, you loving failures.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I thought their response comic was hilarious. "Go and rape no more".

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They made this:

Then when people got mad about the rape joke they started selling "dickwolves" t-shirts in their online store, which made people more mad, etc.

I know what he was talking about, I was responding more to how dumb he is. He's real dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just now noticed the poll. Haha, I actually owned three of those consoles. Two of them owned.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I thought their response comic was hilarious. "Go and rape no more".

yeah it was epic almost as epic as the hypothetical thought of gabe and tycho lying beaten on the floor bleeding into a gutter. i must stress that this is just a light barb and a joke so please don't take the suggestion that gabe and tycho are the only humans that could be said to deserve a deathless sisyphean existence where their skin is flayed off and reattached for eternity as a serious endorsement of this admittedly comical mental image.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if we cannot all join together and laugh at the thought of two webcomic authors dying (but obviously not actually dying) then political correctness has won imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Stux for mod 2016 feel the Bern

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Hog Inspector posted:

"Brevity is the soul of wit" is actually a really good joke itself because polonius says it.

yet people still treat it as the gospel and one of the most significant things shakespeare ever said

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Stux posted:

yeah it was epic almost as epic as the hypothetical thought of gabe and tycho lying beaten on the floor bleeding into a gutter. i must stress that this is just a light barb and a joke so please don't take the suggestion that gabe and tycho are the only humans that could be said to deserve a deathless sisyphean existence where their skin is flayed off and reattached for eternity as a serious endorsement of this admittedly comical mental image.

Penny Arcade really triggers you huh?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Penny Arcade really triggers you huh?

im just making a fun joke at the authors of PA who should be routinely beaten and burned with lit cigarettes. if you are taking this seriously it's your issue and i would ask you to remember that we have a) freedom of speech and b) a world where gabe and tycho are able to walk around in public without being spat on by every passerby

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I could really go for a hamlet ending to this thread.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm Rosencrantz. No, wait, sorry, he's Rosencrantz, and I'm Guildenstern.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rosebud

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Stux posted:

rosebud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSbYH9pvjQ

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hold on, did stux just die? :ohdear:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think we need a new thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I think we need a new thread.
This is about par for the course in this thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i would try posting about good games to break up the argument but i'm playing the old republic atm

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i hope more ps4 games use the remote play controller map destiny and FO4 use because it's the best and really usable on the vita

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

also remember when someone in the civ 5 thread got mad about tycho brahe being a great scientist before someone explained to him that the PA writer is named after the famous astronomer

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

StashAugustine posted:

i would try posting about good games to break up the argument but i'm playing the old republic atm

I don't really care about the Star Wars EU but it is mildly interesting to me that even after Disney nuked the entire EU The Old Republic is still going and doing its own thing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I doubt they'd shut down something that's still making money and has absolutely no impact on or reference to the movies. The X-Wing miniatures game is still putting out some EU stuff for that matter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They didn't blow up the EU, they just decided it had no impact on anything made ever after. Which shoulda been the policy from the start. You wanna make a game about Darth Vader fighting Chewbaccas 10 years before a new hope? Go ahead, it ain't like poo poo's canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

precision posted:

Stux for mod 2016 feel the Bern

• Locked thread