Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's 1983 and I'm excited for the new and shiny...
This poll is closed.
The Intellivision 2 34 22.67%
The COLECO ADAM 19 12.67%
The Vectrex 35 23.33%
The Atari 5200 62 41.33%
Total: 150 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was difficult, but I talked myself out of buying more games before the end of the steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

same, i decided to cheap out and wait for 90% off on wolfenstein

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So I had no internet for like 2 weeks and in that time i managed to beat both Yakuza 3 & 4. Now I'm completely hooked on the series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yakuza would be the best game series ever if it didn't have a plot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The plot would be fine if it weren't conveyed via two people sat in a room talking for half an hour.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The plots have been total clusterfucks ever since the games started having multiple characters

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yakuza would be the best game series ever if it didn't have a plot.

Excuse me? The plot revolves around two dudes ripping off their shirts to show their back tattoos and engaging in a bout of fisticuffs to determine who is right and also create friendship amongst enemies.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
A friend bought me Dying Light and good grief did the makers improve on Dead Island in every way. Only played an hour but kudos to the team!

I also booted up Dark Souls 2 to make sure everything is peachy and it sure is. If I can just get good then maybe I can go back to Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 and do well. (I've heard DS2 is slightly easier so this is my grand plan)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I also booted up Dark Souls 2 to make sure everything is peachy and it sure is. If I can just get good then maybe I can go back to Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 and do well. (I've heard DS2 is slightly easier so this is my grand plan)
Play Dark Souls before Demon's Souls. Demon's is a very different game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play Dark Souls before Demon's Souls. Demon's is a very different game.

I am so terrible at Demon's Souls. I got it for free on PSN and I consistently perish about twenty minutes in. If not on some stairs with some guy lobbing fire, then walking about this castle.

I am not the greatest games player there is, but with Demon's Souls I am strikingly terrible!

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

VideoGames posted:

A friend bought me Dying Light and good grief did the makers improve on Dead Island in every way. Only played an hour but kudos to the team!

i just bought dark souls 2 whatever scholar of something version and also i am terrible at dark souls good luck goon with dark souls

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Excuse me? The plot revolves around two dudes ripping off their shirts to show their back tattoos and engaging in a bout of fisticuffs to determine who is right and also create friendship amongst enemies.

I feel like you could tell that story without hours and hours of long boring conversations and quadruple crosses.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

i just bought dark souls 2 whatever scholar of something version and also i am terrible at dark souls good luck goon with dark souls

this is my version as well! I hope you fare better than I know I will.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The plot would be fine if it weren't conveyed via two people sat in a room talking for half an hour.

Actually that's badass.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm currently swapping between Driver: San Francisco and Yakuza 2 and I honestly don't know which game has the more insane plot.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

At least with yakuza you can skip through as you read it at your own pace. Xenoblade has similar cutscenes where the characters stand around while their lips flap and I really want to skip ahead but the only option is to outright skip the conversation altogether.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Broseph Brostar posted:

At least with yakuza you can skip through as you read it at your own pace. Xenoblade has similar cutscenes where the characters stand around while their lips flap and I really want to skip ahead but the only option is to outright skip the conversation altogether.

I liked the Xenoblade accents.

I sort of suck at the game though, I'm at the Xorn fight and even the regular mobs have been wrecking my poo poo. I'm level 24 or whatever but I don't know what's going wrong. I do the MMO thing to attack flanks and backs but there's not a clear indication of where the back ends and the flank begins and sometimes I think I've got a BACK SLASH! when really I don't and I don't get the crit and then gently caress

gently caress Reyn's dead why wasn't that cleavage lady healing him why

Oh poo poo she's dead everyone's dead WHAT IS HAPPENING

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh I meant xenoblade chronicles x, I can't remember if the first one had similar problems.

Monolith really dropped the ball by not including another playable heropon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I miss when JRPGs starred cartoon knights and not anime teens. I know based on concept art that some of my favorite classics would've had anime teens if the tech had been there, but still. It's such a huge turn-off.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Broseph Brostar posted:

Oh I meant xenoblade chronicles x, I can't remember if the first one had similar problems.

Monolith really dropped the ball by not including another playable heropon

Xenoblade worked the same way, but it also had cinematography for all its cutscenes and memorable voice acting so not being able to skip ahead wasn't so terrible

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I miss when JRPGs starred cartoon knights and not anime teens. I know based on concept art that some of my favorite classics would've had anime teens if the tech had been there, but still. It's such a huge turn-off.

lol

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Lurdiak posted:

1980s:

2000s:

That first image owns so hard

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Frank Frazetta/Boris Vallejo style works well for game art. I'd like to see more fantasy games use it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Frank Frazetta/Boris Vallejo style works well for game art. I'd like to see more fantasy games use it.

Dragon's Crown mimicked this art style and it looks fabulous (Aside from some character designs).

Too bad the gameplay was really bland.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

More games should be like nier and have a squarejawed man for American release and a prettyboy teen for domestic release

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

more games should be like persona 4

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

More games should be like nier and have a squarejawed man for American release and a prettyboy teen for domestic release
MGS2 had both.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Also, Nintendo should put the angry eyes on Kirby's sprite for western releases

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In Training posted:

I'm currently swapping between Driver: San Francisco and Yakuza 2 and I honestly don't know which game has the more insane plot.

Man I forgot about Driver: San Francisco entirely, I really enjoyed what I played of it but got sidetracked way back when

Guess I'll reinstall that one too~

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some of Xenoblade X's promotional art had a pretty great pulp sci-fi style going for it, some goon actually photoshopped this one into a 70s style book cover but unfortunately I can't find now. Still, some real nice visuals came out of this game:

Broseph Brostar posted:

Also, Nintendo should put the angry eyes on Kirby's sprite for western releases

Angry Kirby is great because he's still so cute trying to look serious and hardcore

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 4, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Some of Xenoblade X's promotional art had a pretty great pulp sci-fi style going for it, some goon actually photoshopped this one into a 70s style book cover but unfortunately I can't find now. Still, some real nice visuals game out of this game:

that picture is 1000 times more awesome than xenoblade x

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That helmet is covering this:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

I agree with this so hard.

I mean it's not like I'm 100% opposed to the anime aesthetic or young characters, I just can't deal with Gackt-looking teenagers in roles like heroic experienced knight or military officer. And when everyone in the main cast looks like they're from a high school romantic comedy anime except for the veteran who's a crusty old 28 year old... barf.

Like c'mon Japan. It's ok to be older than 19.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's sad that the reason teen characters are still big in Japan even though their gaming demo has aged is that "high school is the high point of our lives" is 100% the norm there.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

that picture is 1000 times more awesome than xenoblade x

Nah, that's actually the biggest thing the game has going for it. It actually replicates that look ingame pretty well when you're out in the field.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

Like c'mon Japan. It's ok to be older than 19.

The problem is that a very large number of Japanese people genuinely don't understand this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

The problem is that a very large number of Japanese people genuinely don't understand this.

Well the thing with that is that I'm not Japanese and I don't give two fucks about their societal problems.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you didn't want an anime console you should have gotten the XBONE :911:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Have you seen Japanese people older than 25? They bloat up, get thick glasses, wear ill-fitting suits and drink a lot.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
hey... the game of the year in 2015 was snakebird. thank you for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
What exactly is a "digital board game"? Because W40k is back as one.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/01/04/talisman-the-horus-heresy-announcement/

• Locked thread