Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cartoon posted:

I like the fact that these Neanderthals can't fathom that the strategy of burying this is completely undone by their outraged declarations of unfairness.

Logic gets thrown out the window when you're a seething Abbott supporter. The intent of any manufactured outrage seems purely to paint Turnbull as reactionary and heavy handed toward supporters of the former PM. Not at all like that fair minded Abbott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Graic Gabtar posted:

If they are thinking of something like FATCA for say the UK and the US I'm going to laugh so hard I'll do myself an injury.

Would other countries bother signing up if we did something like that? I can imagine nations being a bit unwilling to ignore a US or UK request to do stuff like that because those two actually have some clout on the world stage, but who would give a gently caress what a little tinpot state like us wants?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Thread favourite Chris Kenny is here to explain why it is not a big deal:

If the incident was so innocent, then why have they held back the details (unless it's for legal reasons)? You'd think that if the government were being proactive about (even minor) misconduct that they would be happy to publicise it. Yet from the way they are talking about it, it seems like they just want the whole thing to disappear. The quality of punditry in this country is pretty abysmal.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Recoome posted:

i cannot believe that Chris "dogfucker" Kenny, known fucker of dogs, has carnal knowledge of an animal of the canine variety

now come on, that is not the allegation. is it really such a big deal that chris kenny complimented a dog on its looks, put his arm around it, gave it a kiss on the cheek, slowly began to undress etc. etc.? do we really live in a day and age where reporters can't enjoy some quality one-on-one time with a lovely dog in an informal setting? photographs of the alleged incident show the dog looking perfectly at ease with chris kenny's presence.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

gay picnic defence posted:

Would other countries bother signing up if we did something like that? I can imagine nations being a bit unwilling to ignore a US or UK request to do stuff like that because those two actually have some clout on the world stage, but who would give a gently caress what a little tinpot state like us wants?

Very unlikely. FATCA is insane given there is zero benefit to the Australian financial sector - with those costs passed straight onto us. As you say, no other country is going to bear that burden unless they are forced to. So maybe some level of basic data sharing with debtors stung with a "no re-payment agreement/no leave" deal when they re-enter Australia will be the extent of it.

On another completely unrelated topic. Went to the supermarket before. 2nd January, hot cross buns.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

quote:

The consular staffer told the investigator Mr Briggs had told her she had “piercing” eyes and had placed his arm around her and kissed her on the neck.

quote:

borderline incident

The Australian government, ladies and gentlemen.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 2, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Smegmatron posted:

The Australian government, ladies and gentlemen.
Well it was admittedly marginally better than a Borderforce incident.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Some dogfucker posted:

Photos of the night in question — which I have seen — show Briggs happily posing, and the young diplomat who sparked the inquiry in familiar and informal pose with Briggs’s chief of staff, Stuart Eaton. Yet Briggs has lost his ministerial position for similar informality.

quote:

At one point, the staffer, a legal graduate on her first overseas posting, complained to Mr Eaton that Mr Briggs was standing too close to her. Mr Eaton suggested she stand next to him, which the staffer did until the night out wrapped up about 2am.

Yes, I wonder why she might seem more comfortable and informal next to someone not being a loving creep?

e: Like that's a really hosed up understanding of consent he has there. 1st that being informal is consent at all, and that if it were that it would be transferable to whoever else is in the room at the time. I wonder if its the same rationalisation he uses for loving his dogs.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 2, 2016

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
If it didn't want it, it shouldn't have wagged its tail like that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They could refuse to renew your passport if you're not making repayments.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

open24hours posted:

That sounds like a favour to me

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

On another completely unrelated topic. Went to the supermarket before. 2nd January, hot cross buns.

They were in Coles on New Years Eve.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ewe2 posted:

They were in Coles on New Years Eve.

I'm sure they price crunched any small companies in the supply chain and paid poo poo wages to employees stacking them on shelves as well. Just a bit of the Coles truly magical spirit of the season.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

freebooter posted:

I for one thing hot cross buns are rad and would be happy to see them all year. Ditto easter eggs

Yeah, if this is how an eternal holiday season manifests I'm okay with it. Better than Christmas music in October, but that's not hard since Christmas music universally sucks.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

freebooter posted:

Agreed. I'm always disappointed when Easter ends because there are no more hot cross buns.

What amazes me is not that the media starts attacking any woman who accuses someone high profile of sexual harassment (par for the course really) but that any women actually go through with reporting it at all, given the treatment they receive.

One of those articles was appalling. They weren't going to identify the victim for "privacy" but here is the job she does and a bunch of identifying details about her background.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

freebooter posted:

Yeah maybe, but would they be special to you anymore? ;)

I have no personal sensibilities with regards to religion but I respect that many people do when it comes to blatant commercialization.

Can't you just buy chocolate and bake your own spicy treats through the year?

e: Or do what we do, put a poo poo load in the freezer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Agreed. I'm always disappointed when Easter ends because there are no more hot cross buns.

Uhh my local Woollies had the standard and the chocolate ones for months after Easter, they only stopped for the Xmas season. It's effectively year-round now.

quote:

What amazes me is not that the media starts attacking any woman who accuses someone high profile of sexual harassment (par for the course really) but that any women actually go through with reporting it at all, given the treatment they receive.

One of those articles was appalling. They weren't going to identify the victim for "privacy" but here is the job she does and a bunch of identifying details about her background.

Not just that but arses like dogfucker and Uhlmann whine about losing Briggsy, someone who was "at least interesting". More interesting to them than his victims.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ewe2 posted:

Not just that but arses like dogfucker and Uhlmann whine about losing Briggsy, someone who was "at least interesting". More interesting to them than his victims.

Here's the funny thing about that: was he, really? Before this happened, was he a blip on anybody's radar, did anybody give a poo poo?

We're not losing 'a character', we're losing a footnote, and the fact the best they can say is that he was 'interesting' when he wasn't even someone like Bernardi is hilariously damning.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Graic Gabtar posted:

Very unlikely. FATCA is insane given there is zero benefit to the Australian financial sector - with those costs passed straight onto us. As you say, no other country is going to bear that burden unless they are forced to. So maybe some level of basic data sharing with debtors stung with a "no re-payment agreement/no leave" deal when they re-enter Australia will be the extent of it.

I wonder if this is the precursor to privatising the HECS debt. The taxpayer pays for the extra expenses required to get money from HECS refugees and some financial institution collects the repayments and interest.

open24hours posted:

How would they guarantee that they know that you should be making repayments? Seems like a huge penalty for something so vague.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

How would they guarantee that they know that you should be making repayments? Seems like a huge penalty for something so vague.

They'll probably just say you should be making repayments irrespective of how much you earn. That's how they do it in New Zealand if you have a student loan and live overseas.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-02/music-festival-users-would-nearly-vomit-drugs-field-day-overdose/7064054

quote:

Dr Fulde said there was a trend over the last year or two of more women using ecstasy.

"If they knew where they had come from, where people had concealed them, a lot of people would nearly vomit, I believe," he said.

"And that's one of the ways they do it: they swallow it and then the person vomits up the plastic balloon with all the pills in it and somebody buys it, which is pretty insane."

Pfft whatever granddad I took pills that were up my arse when I had dysentery and they were loving great.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Sounds like he recommends shelving.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Here's the funny thing about that: was he, really? Before this happened, was he a blip on anybody's radar, did anybody give a poo poo?

We're not losing 'a character', we're losing a footnote, and the fact the best they can say is that he was 'interesting' when he wasn't even someone like Bernardi is hilariously damning.

As Preston Towers points out, the whole CPG shtick is what's in it for them, they're not there to inform us, they're not doing political journalism out of any social contract, and they're unable to connect what they're doing to anything real. They're just bored with most of the politicians and get actual entertainment out of losers like Briggs.

It helps explain the Ashbygate reaction, why they just assumed this kind of thing was business as usual and wasn't important enough to discuss with us plebs anyway, but now the police and Malcolm have pulled their finger out, suddenly we're getting backgrounded on how much the party hated Brough and Briggs anyway.

In the general scheme of things, noone should give a poo poo except that it's a sign of how badly things are being done in our name by people Howard wouldn't spit on let alone be ministers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Chinese debt binge is fuelling a dangerous property bubble

Kevin Rudd may privately badmouth China, but his economic strategy is heavily dependent on continued strong Chinese growth. His earlier return to surplus depends on the new mining tax delivering massive new tax revenues. His new tax also obliges the Commonwealth to reimburse 40 per cent of unrecovered losses if a project fails. So were Chinese growth to slow, not only would mining tax revenues decline but, in a double whammy to the budget bottom line, if projects were to fail the Commonwealth would be called on to pick up its share of losses.

So how sound is the government's assumption that the China boom will continue for many years?

China's extraordinary growth and development is awe inspiring. But it is capable of making the same mistakes of excessive spending and borrowing as any other country.

As the historian Niall Ferguson recently observed, blow-outs in public debt are always and everywhere ''consequences of political weakness …Excessive expenditure and insufficient taxation, failures to make decisions about unsustainable fiscal policies are political, they are not the results of profound economic weakness."

Working out the true level of government debt in China is very difficult. Nobody believes the official figures of about 20 per cent of GDP. But how much higher is it?

Victor Shih, of Northwestern University in Illinois, is the leading analyst of government debt in China and he has pointed to the way in which local governments have established their own local investment companies largely for the purpose of borrowing funds from Chinese banks to develop and invest in real estate.

He has estimated that when you take into account the massive indebtedness of the local investment companies, government-related debt in China would, by next year, be close to RMB 40 trillion ($7 trillion) or 96 per cent of GDP and 4.6 times government revenue.

Shih's estimate would place China among the countries with the highest debt to GDP ratio, although it should be noted that China's debt (like that of Japan) is almost entirely funded from its own domestic sources.

And those domestic sources are the prudent households of China who have been depositing their savings in banks at deliberately depressed official interest rates. By lending at low, indeed negative real, interest rates the thrifty households of China have been subsidising what is all-too-often speculative and wasteful investment by government-owned companies.

Another China economist, Michael Pettis, points out that this effective financial subsidy by households to the banks and their customers amounts to at least 5 per cent of GDP a year and possibly up to twice that.

This raw deal for depositors is helping to fuel the property bubble. When Chinese banks are offering depositors a guaranteed loss after inflation of 1 to 2 per cent a year, is it any wonder that Chinese families are jumping into the property boom in the belief that residential property is a "hard asset" that holds value - unlike cash, which certainly does not. One property analyst was very candid when asked why there were so many apparently unoccupied flats in Beijing as there were no lights on at night: "The flats are occupied. Cash is living there."

HSBC recently calculated that the total value of China's residential property market was now 3.27 times GDP, which is nearly twice the peak reached before the subprime crisis in the US and approaching the levels in Japan during its 1980s property bubble.

Asset bubbles are like a Ponzi scheme - everything is fine until the cash dries up and asset prices stop rising. Like it or not we are exposed to the Chinese property bubble. The iron ore China buys from Australia is turned into steel, and most of that goes into building apartments and infrastructure. Our bauxite and alumina exports are turned into aluminium, of which about 40 per cent goes into construction in China.

So at the same time as we congratulate ourselves on escaping from the consequences of the property bust in the United States, the resources boom that underpinned our strong economic performance is itself based on another debt-fuelled property boom in China.

The Chinese government is acutely aware of the risks of the local government debt binge and consequent property bubble creating what the leading economist Fan Gang recently described as "an internal 'Greek crisis' ". And apart from the threat to bank balance sheets, rapid inflation in property values prices young families out of the housing market.

Already the Chinese government has announced it will reform real estate taxes, and most believe this will result in a new annual property tax.

Li Daokui, a member of the central bank's monetary policy committee, has also called for an increase in the interest rates paid on bank deposits. This would better reward Chinese households for their thrift and reduce the flow of cheap money to property development. As part of this credit tightening policy, the China Banking Regulatory Commission has increased the capital and provisioning requirements for Chinese banks, with a director, Liao Min, saying: "We are ready to take the punch bowl away."

Hopefully a combination of fiscal discipline and solid, if somewhat slower, growth will resolve China's debt and property bubble without any damaging economic shocks - either there or here.

Malcolm Turnbull is the Liberal MP for Wentworth.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/chinese-debt-binge-is-fuelling-a-dangerous-property-bubble-20100615-yd1a.html

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Sky Poos posted:

Briggs admits sharing photo of public servant

Former cities minister Jamie Briggs has confirmed he personally distributed a photograph identifying the female public servant who lodged a confidential complaint about his behaviour in a Hong Kong bar.

Newscorp reports that despite choosing not to name the woman to 'protect her privacy', Mr Briggs yesterday confirmed that the photograph of the public servant published on the front page of the Weekend Australian was taken on his phone.

The former minister denied leaking the picture, but confirmed he'd 'sent it to a few people prior to the complaint and following'

'I didn't have anything to do with today's stories. I called and apologised. I called (the public servant) because I thought it was the right thing to do,' he told Newscorp.

Mr Briggs quit the ministry on December 29 following a complaint over his behaviour in a Hong Kong bar during an official overseas visit last month.

In a statement Mr Briggs said it was an informal night out, but agreed that his behaviour didn't meet the 'high standards' required of his position.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Maybe he should keep walking from the front bench, all the way out of the door.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tokamak posted:

Maybe he should keep walking from the front bench, all the way out of the door.

You think the guy who admits he sent the photo to other people but denies leaking the photo has an ounce of self awareness or fucks given about this? The only thing going through Briggs mind is 'loving females made me lose my cabinet position'.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

What will happen to the economy / house prices this year? Will housing become more affordable?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Depends, will you get a better job?

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

open24hours posted:

Depends, will you get a better job?

Joe, is that you?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The definition of "dig up, stupid"

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Nice to know at least one of the photos slime bag took wasn't an up skirt.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Predictably the CPG is now going full cry on Briggs in the hunt for retweets and a fake "debate" where the boys line up against the girls and we all m̙̱e͇̙̯̲̱e̻̰͈͙̤̤ț̣̳̣̯̙̠͎ ̪̟̺̥̞̣̼u͖̣̩̬̘̪͇p͚̯̙ ̠͓ḭ̯̜n̼͖̦̲ ̥̳̰̟̗̯͕a͓ͅ ̝̝̙b͎̣̰̝͈̻i̭͓̦͚͓g͇̳͈ͅ ̝g͈̙̻̣͕̙̰͙r̠̝̰͓̺͓ͅo̙̫̫͓u̟̖̖͙͙̝̝p͓̗̺̭̦̬ ͔̭̣̱̤͓͕h͉̖̙̭̭̻͔u̻̘̣̪̭̠g̖̝̻ ̝̙̭a̹̲b̖̲̥͖̤͉̮̗̪o̥̰̘͉̬̯̥̯u̗̲̬̖͉̹̼̭ͅt̫͚ ̤͍̩̗̱͈̯h͇̬͇̥̞o̖̦̘͍͍̺̭w̯̙̳͎͍̪̥͇ ̦̝̱͍̳̫m̮e̜̲̫̪̣͎̠a͓̺̣͕̟̤n͙͉̘̻̻̪i̯̯̪͇̞̦n̺̥g͙̮̳̳̱͇͇f̤͇͇̙̻͇̥u͕͖̦̖͇̳l̮̯͉̪͙̦̫ ͍̰̬̱̪̩̟͔i̬̺͉t͈̟̹̪̤͕̩ ̰̦̲a͙͉͎̗l̟̻̦̪̘l̲͙͉ ̲i͔̲̖s͙̮ͅ ̲̟̤͕͎͇̥̺̣a͖͙̫̱n̜͖̱̫̦͔d͔͙̙͈͖ ̹͓͎͕͔̤̗h͈͎̞̩͔̪͔̦o̹̭̦̟̘ͅw̖̦̱̥͉ͅ ̳̠̳̺̲̥̼w̳͍̫̩͎e̪̱̯̹̣ͅ'̱͙͉͕͚̼r̫͉͕̣͇̰̻̜e͙͓͍
͈͇͖͍͚̙̝r͈̱̦̲͔e̥̰̩̫p͓̺r͙͕͓e̞̙̦͈͙s͕̺̰͔̬͍͙̻e͙n̦̣̩̘͖̟̝t̲̤̫͍͖̣̘i̭̤n̟͇̜̜̭͈g̼̮ ̭̥̞͖t͕̦͕ḥ̲͚̫̲͕̤ḛ̙ͅ ̱͇̻̘̫͙͇͕w̳̖̬͖̜̞͈͉̜i̻͙̘̦̩l̯̰̮͎̤͔̥l͖̬̗̘ ̗̖̟̹o͓͉͎̭ͅf̪͉̯̱̦͇͍ ͉̪͔̜̫ṱ̥̭̯͕̙̘ḥ̺̱e͇̦̯̳͔ ̪̼̱͙̪̦̝̹ͅp̤̦e͙ọ̘̪p̫̗l̲̮̜͙̜̙ͅe̼͖̰̰̰̼̠̦ͅ

Also Samantha Maiden's piece reveals another sad little highlight:

quote:

The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal some cabinet ministers were “shocked” at the volume of alcohol he disclosed consuming to ­investigators in a cabinet-in-confidence report that detailed his Hong Kong high jinks with the young public servant.

How about them Cabinet leaks?

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 3, 2016

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Yes, calling the complainant is definitely the "right thing to do" and not "harassment" or "intimidation".

Does he also forward on photos of people he just met on the regular, or only those with piercing eyes?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ewe2 posted:

How about them Cabinet leaks?
It was painfully obvious from how Cabinet announced the resignation that there was a long conga line of bullshit from Briggs and they were trying to save face for everyone. To then turn that around and attack Cabinet for being too hard on what was the final straw means the biggest question in all of this is how someone as politically stupid as Briggs got a ministerial position in the first place.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

you see it was her fault because

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

It was painfully obvious from how Cabinet announced the resignation that there was a long conga line of bullshit from Briggs and they were trying to save face for everyone. To then turn that around and attack Cabinet for being too hard on what was the final straw means the biggest question in all of this is how someone as politically stupid as Briggs got a ministerial position in the first place.

Because the bullshit has become systemic. Preston Towers on the latest Wonky podcast made a very good point: these are people who cannot be discreet and don't understand the purpose of discretion. Turnbull is presiding over people who will leak anything to anyone. He won't know from one minute to the next what loving moronic manchild will do.

Here's another fantastic example I've only just seen on twitter:

That's almost fractally wrong. Not just that they don't get why Briggs got the boot, not just that they want the right to go full idiot on an overseas taxpayer-funded junket, they saw nothing wrong in telling the loving media about it too.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
The bar for acceptable conduct is TOO HIGH*

*Don't act like a loving mouthbreather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah that's the comment that sparked mine. A direct challenge to the PM to itemise each and every way that he was acting beneath ministerial standards, that's sure to be a winner.

• Locked thread