Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looking at the schedule now..

there's a lil daniel remar block, that loving owns. ijji by Studio and then Hero Core by dragondarch. gotta put a pin in that one

new games this year.... kero blaster, a hat in time (beta), axiom verge, the talos principle, wrack, wolfenstein: the old blood, tag the power of paint, SOMA, gunvolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really hope the Splatoon run is good.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

What's the Splatoon single player even like?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Manslaughter posted:

I don't understand how they can turn down Golf with bigjon but allow loving Minecraft 100% achievements to be ran

The previous run of minecraft ended up being surprisingly entertaining, had a huge amount of donations, and even set a WR. A response like that almost guarantees a repeat showing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

What's the Splatoon single player even like?

I'm interested to see how that's run as well. It's not a solid campaign, just segmented levels with a loose story.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Still waiting on a de Blob run. :colbert:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

The previous run of minecraft ended up being surprisingly entertaining, had a huge amount of donations, and even set a WR. A response like that almost guarantees a repeat showing.

it was pretty bad actually

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

looking at the schedule now..

there's a lil daniel remar block, that loving owns. ijji by Studio and then Hero Core by dragondarch. gotta put a pin in that one

That block should be especially interesting because Remar speedruns his own games as a form of advanced playtesting. And he does it HARD, searching for every glitch and exploit. The best ones get made into official features.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Who is Daniel Remar? Those names ain't in the schedule? Which games y'all talking about?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

The SGDQ Minecraft run required the runner to open up the dev console and spawn an item that is a 1/64 chance to drop off an uncommon enemy.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Crain posted:

Who is Daniel Remar? Those names ain't in the schedule? Which games y'all talking about?

http://www.remar.se/daniel/games.php

Iji and Hero Core are both being run. You should play Iji by the way, it's really good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Crain posted:

The developer of those games mentioned. Iji, Hero Core, Hyper Princess Pitch, Ittle Dew, etc.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The SGDQ Minecraft run required the runner to open up the dev console and spawn an item that is a 1/64 chance to drop off an uncommon enemy.
Is that even allowed?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

also it is basically just 'we know where everything is because its seeded, okay we'll do it really fast'

:jerkbag:

it was in there because it made a lot of money, and thats fine but its not a good speedrun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Is that even allowed?

sure

alternatively

no

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

symbolic posted:

Is that even allowed?
Usually you're allowed to have a backup save or similar strategies available just in case you get screwed over luckwise so that you don't have to kill your run halfway through running it at the marathon by sheer coincidence. I imagine what he did falls easily into that category.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

I kinda feel like people who want to donate are going to donate. And that some games that "make more money" are just people holding off on donating until their favorite game is being ran regardless of if the run is good or not.

Maybe I'm wrong though, but I don't expect a lack of a Minecraft run to hurt the number of donations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Oh man I forgot about that part of it.

On second though avoid having games on due to popularity.

Didn't the AGDQ before that almost have a minecraft run, but the submitters never practiced it and were bound to fail so it got pulled?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Crain posted:

Does GDQ have a restriction on new games?

Games generally have to be officially released at the time of submission, but it's not a hard rule since there's been a couple of (quite rare) exceptions. Trials Fusion comes to mind. I think there's something in this marathon that was just in early access when it got submitted, but I can't recall what.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Crain posted:

Oh man I forgot about that part of it.

On second though avoid having games on due to popularity.

Didn't the AGDQ before that almost have a minecraft run, but the submitters never practiced it and were bound to fail so it got pulled?

The AGDQ 2015 Minecraft run didn't happen for some reason, I don't know the details. However in its place we got the Vanquish run which ended up being one of the best runs of any GDQ event. It also got loads of donations due to all the stupid poo poo the guys on the couch were pulling. Holding hands was an impromtu donation incentive.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The AGDQ 2015 Minecraft run didn't happen for some reason, I don't know the details. However in its place we got the Vanquish run which ended up being one of the best runs of any GDQ event. It also got loads of donations due to all the stupid poo poo the guys on the couch were pulling. Holding hands was an impromtu donation incentive.

the runners apparently felt they had not put in enough practice and I think bowed out

which is good of them

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

I kinda feel like people who want to donate are going to donate. And that some games that "make more money" are just people holding off on donating until their favorite game is being ran regardless of if the run is good or not.

Maybe I'm wrong though, but I don't expect a lack of a Minecraft run to hurt the number of donations.

There's surprisingly still a ton of people who wander into the marathon because it's got a ton of viewers on twitch (I always love to open the chat when things like Pacman 2's the #1 game on the site) and having games people recognize helps a lot with attracting those people and their money.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they should speedrun blood bowl 2

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah that's my thoughts, the raw stats are over here:

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq15/

hopefully alligator does it again this year as they're pretty useful for live data

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

flatluigi posted:

There's surprisingly still a ton of people who wander into the marathon because it's got a ton of viewers on twitch (I always love to open the chat when things like Pacman 2's the #1 game on the site) and having games people recognize helps a lot with attracting those people and their money.
This is how I discovered GDQ last year when I noticed that Sonic Boom was being watched by more people than CS:GO. Good decision to see what was up.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah that's my thoughts, the raw stats are over here:

http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq14/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/agdq15/
http://irc.alligatr.co.uk/sgdq15/

hopefully alligator does it again this year as they're pretty useful for live data

That's what I was looking for earlier. I couldn't remember what the stats site was that tracked live data.

That said: Where do you think the donations will top out this year? AGDQ so far has always out performed SGDQ by at least some margin ( used to be much greater before 2014). We got $1.5 mil last AGDQ, thing we'll reach much higher?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Eh, I think we're nearing the cap and will bring in ~$1.2-1.4m

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

They got 1.5 million last year, I think they'll be able to beat that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good thread so far

this week may be busy so I may not be able to post as much as I'd like, but I'll do my best

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

For months you have been asking: Who is Daniel Remar? This is Daniel Remar speaking.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

For months you have been asking: Who is Daniel Remar? This is Daniel Remar speaking.

good evening

do people stop you on the streets and ask for autographs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
flatluigi and I would like your autograph in any case

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Looking forward to Oracle of Ages, R&C: Up Your Arsenal, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 (How do you beat it in only 3 hours? I must know...), and Utsurun Desu.: Kawauso Hawaii e Iku!!! (sounds like an early attempt at a Kaizo/IWBTG type game).

I usually check out Banjo Kazooie, but I don't think it's gonna be much different from years past...

Jak 3 runner TheRixer formerly had the world record, and has that posted on his Youtube Account. It was a great run, so that might be worth checking out too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Julias posted:

Looking forward to Oracle of Ages, R&C: Up Your Arsenal, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 (How do you beat it in only 3 hours? I must know...), and Utsurun Desu.: Kawauso Hawaii e Iku!!! (sounds like an early attempt at a Kaizo/IWBTG type game).

I usually check out Banjo Kazooie, but I don't think it's gonna be much different from years past...

Jak 3 runner TheRixer formerly had the world record, and has that posted on his Youtube Account. It was a great run, so that might be worth checking out too.

well if stivitybobo doesn't gently caress another speedrunner's wife it'll be different from one of the runs at least

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I just noticed the Half-Life 2/Portal 2/Alien Swarm/Talos Principle block on Tuesday night. :getin:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

I just noticed the Half-Life 2/Portal 2/Alien Swarm/Talos Principle block on Tuesday night. :getin:

its going to be really good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ctrl-F "medibot"

wtf agdq... shakeing my head

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Apparently the Majora's Mask run is going to be 4p co-op.

...How does that work?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

symbolic posted:

Apparently the Majora's Mask run is going to be 4p co-op.

...How does that work?

4 hands on one N64 Controler. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Julias posted:

4 hands on one N64 Controler. Duh.
...Jesus Christ. Another run I need to remember to watch.

• Locked thread