Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine flying somewhere just to watch a game even if the tickets were free.

It's economical in some cases. I could probably fly to Miami from Minneapolis and get some close tickets to the ice rather than pay the same thing and watch from the upper upper deck of the Xcel Energy Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Every market is a bandwagon.

And its actually quite healthy for the game as a whole. Just dont tell anyone. :ssh:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's economical in some cases. I could probably fly to Miami from Minneapolis and get some close tickets to the ice rather than pay the same thing and watch from the upper upper deck of the Xcel Energy Center.

go cats

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I guess maybe if you live somewhere super close to the airport but far from the arena, if that's even possible in most cities. Otherwise the time/painintheass investment flying always involves makes it an unattractive proposition for me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I've decided the avs are my third central team

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Eric the Mauve posted:

I guess maybe if you live somewhere super close to the airport but far from the arena, if that's even possible in most cities. Otherwise the time/painintheass investment flying always involves makes it an unattractive proposition for me.
If you're just going for a game, sure. But if you're using the game as an excuse to travel somewhere interesting then it's completely worth it.

Also if you'd rather be in Florida than Alberta in January.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

news: CAS/AAS are too depressed to make a GDT

views: ryan kesler is a hilarious rear end in a top hat

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

the talent deficit posted:

news: CAS/AAS are too depressed to make a GDT

views: ryan kesler is a hilarious rear end in a top hat

i mean, i figure we could use the winter classic one if we had anything to say about this game...

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

RC Cola posted:

I've decided the avs are my third central team

The Jets are basically Hawks Lite and happen to be much more fun to watch. I dont think you thought this through. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

And its actually quite healthy for the game as a whole. Just dont tell anyone. :ssh:

As evidenced by the way 1/3 to 1/2 the people at a Chicago away game are going to be wearing a Blackhawks jerseys.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Furnaceface posted:

The Jets are basically Hawks Lite and happen to be much more fun to watch. I dont think you thought this through. :colbert:

Oh well I have gone to Colorado every year since I was 3 and plan to move here. To its like a second home team.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Maybe if your 'avid N.H.L fanbase' team has impossible to get playoff tickets against <non-hockey-city> where you can buy them easily for a fraction of the price, it might make sense, if you really wanted to see a playoff game. Pretty sure some Canucks fans took a trip down to SJ for games back in 2011 or whenever they met in the WCF because it ended up being cheaper.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I could probably get on a flight from New York to any other city with only a 1/3 chance of getting stopped, rather than watch the Rangers defense do the same thing from the upper upper deck at MSG.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I love living in DC because I can sit in almost any seat at Caps games for less than $100. They do this one deal where you pay $79 and that comes with unlimited food and booze until the start of the third period too. Preeeeetty cool.

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:
Hey islanders fans! Boychuk is on the IR and Pelech got recalled so you know what that means!

Zidlicky and THE STRAIT JACKET alternating on the back to back and Pelech sitting in the pressbox!

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I love living in DC because I can sit in almost any seat at Caps games for less than $100. They do this one deal where you pay $79 and that comes with unlimited food and booze until the start of the third period too. Preeeeetty cool.

I was just at Rogers today and beers were 8 loving dollars each. Small cups as well, game was pretty uneventfull unfortunetely. Markstrom had a pretty good night to be honest. Only really let in one goal and it wasn't really reasonably something you can stop.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jamwad Hilder posted:

That's not a special offer, that's a drat challenge. Throwing the gauntlet down.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don't forget they often throw in a free bobble head once in a while.

Say what you want about the Caps organization, they usually do right by their fans.

Unlike the motherfucking Snyder...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So how bad are the flyers going to lose to LA today because I get the feeling the answer is "pretty bad"

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

DJExile posted:

So how bad are the flyers going to lose to LA today because I get the feeling the answer is "pretty bad"

They'll either get their asses handed to them or they'll pull some idiot savant move and pull a 1-goal win out of nowhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

They'll either get their asses handed to them or they'll pull some idiot savant move and pull a 1-goal win out of nowhere.

ok that works. I'll be sitting in Tampa's airport for a few hours and I suppose there's at least a prayer that it's watchable.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I for one hope the Flyers blow out the Kings.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Boston sports pages are a great read for once.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so the lightning might be sending down Drouin

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 3m3 minutes ago
Just passed by a very unhappy looking Jonathan Drouin who said he is on his way to @SyracuseCrunch #TBLightning #SyrCrunch

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Drouin is turning out to be a big disappointment huh

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Aye Doc posted:

so the lightning might be sending down Drouin

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 3m3 minutes ago
Just passed by a very unhappy looking Jonathan Drouin who said he is on his way to @SyracuseCrunch #TBLightning #SyrCrunch

Tampa's twitter confirmed it.

DJExile posted:

ok that works. I'll be sitting in Tampa's airport for a few hours and I suppose there's at least a prayer that it's watchable.

They didn't play all that poorly in San Jose outside of the penalty kill, which was loving atrocious.

Also say Hi to Drouin if you see him at the airport!

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 2, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

N: Going to WSH/CBJ tonight because my brother epitomizes "bandwagon" (as in "would draw a blank if you asked him to name three Caps players not named Ovechkin and Backstrom") and it's a Christmas present for him.

V: Fortunately, Bob is--

quote:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 20m20 minutes ago
#CBJ says G Sergei Bobrovsky is still day-to-day with groin injury. Strange they would activated him from IR when still day-to-day.

:suicide:

quote:

There are loud whispers that Zach Werenski, the Michigan defenseman whom the Blue Jackets took with the No. 8 overall pick in the NHL draft last June, is unhappy in college and thinking of turning pro. The Jackets have had major difficulties on the blue line this season, and some believe the sophomore could help immediately.

Somewhere, Mike Reilly sliently swears under his breath as he rides the bus in Iowa.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I can't imagine flying somewhere just to watch a game even if the tickets were free.

Leafs fans came in droves to their first game in Columbus. Word was driving/flying to Columbus, buying tickets, and getting a hotel were cheaper/easier to acquire than going to ACC.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

CBJSprague24 posted:

Leafs fans came in droves to their first game in Columbus. Word was driving/flying to Columbus, buying tickets, and getting a hotel were cheaper/easier to acquire than going to ACC.

I've kicked around the idea of going to a Flyers game within driving distance of Milwaukee and the only definite 'No' is loving Chicago. Cheapest seat on resale I've found is still over $100, so I can sympathize with those in the GTA driving a long distance to watch their lovely hockey team probably lose.

Columbus is really cheap on tickets too. Only place I saw for less was Carolina.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Infidel Castro posted:

I've kicked around the idea of going to a Flyers game within driving distance of Milwaukee and the only definite 'No' is loving Chicago. Cheapest seat on resale I've found is still over $100, so I can sympathize with those in the GTA driving a long distance to watch their lovely hockey team probably lose.

Columbus is really cheap on tickets too. Only place I saw for less was Carolina.

Columbus is even better price-wise when the team is terrible or expected to be bad, especially resale. My dad and I got Club level tickets in 2013 (lockout year) for $16 a piece against Calgary. Granted, once they went on the insane run to almost make the playoffs that year, prices went straight up; if there's ever a consistent winner/playoff regular/Cup contender in Columbus, it might be a hard/expensive ticket to get. The only games you can't get cheap in a year like this are games against Pittsburgh.

I was stunned at playoff tickets against Pittsburgh in 2014. My dad said "Want to go?" to Game 4 (the MAF game) about 3 hours before the game started & we got two for $68/person, upper bowl shoot twice, on StubHub last-minute.

Buying tickets at face value is a joke unless you have no choice. They've slowly brought up the prices of single-game tickets since 2013 (since the 2009 playoff run, really) and face value, while still reasonable in the grand scheme of things, isn't commensurate to the on-ice product.

e- CBJ also used to have a season ticket offering which came in the form of vouchers in multiples of 12. Call ahead to redeem for any game you wanted, pending availability, and they'd give you tickets in your price bracket or something similar. It's the only option I've considered buying and, like any good thing, they canned it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 2, 2016

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Funny thing is that Leafs games haven't actually been selling out this year, so there's lots of opportunity to catch a game for <=$100 a ticket. It just doesn't occur to some Leafs fans to check Ticketmaster since that was unheard of in the past.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Funny thing is that Leafs games haven't actually been selling out this year, so there's lots of opportunity to catch a game for <=$100 a ticket. It just doesn't occur to some Leafs fans to check Ticketmaster since that was unheard of in the past.

Stubhub is even better. If you wait until a couple hours before puck drop you can grab upper bowl seats for way below face value.

In general Torontonians don't seem to use Stubhub. I went to an ACLS game for marginally above face value because I waited until 15 mins before the opening pitch to buy them.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Stubhub is even better. If you wait until a couple hours before puck drop you can grab upper bowl seats for way below face value.

In general Torontonians don't seem to use Stubhub. I went to an ACLS game for marginally above face value because I waited until 15 mins before the opening pitch to buy them.

It's one of those weird things where it's Common Knowledge that tickets are insanely expensive and people prevent themselves from even acting. Also that a lot of the griping comes from people who are actually from, like, Sudbury who need to basically plan a vacation around seeing a game, but that's not actually a problem with ticket price/availability.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I've been to see the Penguins play in Jersey a few times because Pittsburgh and Newark are about equidistant from me and Devils tickets are usually way cheaper. Mostly I go to Flyers games though since that's what's close. The tickets of course get insanely expensive when the Penguins come to town even when the Flyers suck.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

It's one of those weird things where it's Common Knowledge that tickets are insanely expensive and people prevent themselves from even acting. Also that a lot of the griping comes from people who are actually from, like, Sudbury who need to basically plan a vacation around seeing a game, but that's not actually a problem with ticket price/availability.

Five years ago tickets were still nutso expensive compared to the quality of the on ice product, so I know where the reputation comes from. Still, that has changed considerably in the last few years but people still seem stuck in the mindset that it's prohibitively expensive. It's hardly a cheap night out, but it's not much worse than any other sporting event in a major city.

Stubhub isn't for everyone I guess. It's a lot easier to race down to a game with one other person who lives downtown than it is to bring a family of four from Guelph. Still, it's usually a great deal if you want to see terrible hockey in a badly laid out arena!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

ThinkTank posted:

Five years ago tickets were still nutso expensive compared to the quality of the on ice product, so I know where the reputation comes from. Still, that has changed considerably in the last few years but people still seem stuck in the mindset that it's prohibitively expensive. It's hardly a cheap night out, but it's not much worse than any other sporting event in a major city.

Stubhub isn't for everyone I guess. It's a lot easier to race down to a game with one other person who lives downtown than it is to being a family of four from Guelph. Still, it's usually a great deal if you want to see terrible hockey in a badly laid out arena!

Well, on that last point, I think Isles tickets can be had as low as $9*.

*does not include view of shoot twice net.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Stubhub isn't for everyone I guess. It's a lot easier to race down to a game with one other person who lives downtown than it is to bring a family of four from Guelph. Still, it's usually a great deal if you want to see terrible hockey in a badly laid out arena!

I know what you mean, but for the record almost exactly 5 years ago I bought two tickets to Leafs/Panthers for $37.50 each off Ticketmaster. It's always just been a matter of effort/opportunity to watch a Leaf game.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

Most people form Sudbury usually get tickets to Senators games because its cheaper, you can get the tickets well in advance, and only 30 minutes longer of a drive. :ssh:

Toronto is still a terrible team to try and get tickets to unless you live within transit distance form the ACC. Hell I only have to come from Barrie and Id still save money going to a Sens game.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

congrats scott voters

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy
NHL ASG Captains

Atlantic: Jagr
Metro: Ovechkin
Central: Kane
Pacific: John fn Scott

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

congrats scott voters

Sean Leahy ‏@Sean_Leahy
NHL ASG Captains

Atlantic: Jagr
Metro: Ovechkin
Central: Kane
Pacific: John fn Scott

A New Years Miracle. :getin:

Jagr is the next best thing to Luongo so Im cool with that, and more drunk Ovie is always great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Hey islanders fans! Boychuk is on the IR and Pelech got recalled so you know what that means!

Zidlicky and THE STRAIT JACKET alternating on the back to back and Pelech sitting in the pressbox!

That sucks, Capuano said boychuk was fine after last game even though what happened looked bad.

Pelech is a solid young guy but I wish they felt pulock was ready instead. But we all know strait is going to see the biggest boost in play time because cappy gonna cappy.

• Locked thread