Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Davros, mastermind creator of the Daleks, returns after seven years' absence with a dastardly scheme. The Doctor foils the scheme by letting it run without any interference at all.

He allows for the very, very slight possibility that Davey Ross's request could be legit, and when it inevitably isn't he just lets the inherent poo poo nature of the scheme tear itself apart. And anyway Capaldi's Doctor is perfectly willing to risk his life and all existence to show a baddie how much more clever he is compared to them. It's kind of his thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Davros, mastermind creator of the Daleks, returns after seven years' absence with a dastardly scheme. The Doctor foils the scheme by letting it run without any interference at all.

The "Proceed, Governor" of Doctor Who.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The plan failed because Davros and the Daleks consider the old and frail (ironically) to not even be worth their consideration. It was their own pride that caused their downfall, which is pretty tried and true storytelling. The Doctor has let villains destroy themselves plenty of times, hoping they would choose good instead. You can knock it for being a tired episode structure, but it's effective.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sorry, review's up tomorrow

i had an unusually busy saturday and im p tired so review's going up sunday

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

McDragon posted:

I love the Sonic Shades.

I like that they were trying to break out of the mold and the Capaldi was putting a personal touch on his Doctor, I just don't think that it worked the way that Capaldi and Moffat hoped it would for reasons that are probably a bit too spoilery to talk about until the season is over with.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean....they're clearly stupid as hell

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean....they're clearly stupid as hell

absolutely. but it's a kind of goofy stupid, doesn't impact the story much and it was nice not having the doctor constantly wave his magic wand around for a bit. so i didn't mind them.
Also this two-parter has myriads of worse problems than sunglasses.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The shades and the guitar just come across as really weak attempts to make the new doctor seem cool. I mean, yeah, I know and you know that Capaldi was in a band and had a punk phase, etc. but in the context of the show it's really loving stupid.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm pretty sure they're meant to make him seem as un-cool as he actually is, it's just he doesn't give a gently caress and owns it anyway.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, the last thing I think they were going for was the Doctor being cool, he very much seems to be in "I'm an old man and I don't give a gently caress what you think" mode (even moreso than normal) and that rules.

The Hartnell/Troughton pants helps sell that even more :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I can't believe they'd put something stupid in Doctor Who

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
It's stupid poo poo like the shades, guitar and hilarious wardrobe choices along with Capaldi's ability to play The Doctor of No Fucks that makes Twelve my favourite Doctor thus far, really.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
e: Whoops!

Mulva fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 11, 2016

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

WRONG THREAD

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

DoctorWhat posted:

WRONG THREAD

Good looking out, I didn't even notice.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the last thing I think they were going for was the Doctor being cool, he very much seems to be in "I'm an old man and I don't give a gently caress what you think" mode (even moreso than normal) and that rules.

I want to say it's more of an aging, burned out rock star, but then I think of David Bowie and 45 minutes of YouTube later NO I'M NOT CRYING IT'S JUST REALLY DRY IN HERE!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

I want to say it's more of an aging, burned out rock star, but then I think of David Bowie and 45 minutes of YouTube later NO I'M NOT CRYING IT'S JUST REALLY DRY IN HERE!

STOP IT :smith:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UN-6rZjtsE

:smith:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who
"The Witch's Familiar"

Series 9, Episode 2

The Doctor: "There's no such thing as 'The Doctor'! I'm just a bloke in a box. Telling stories. And I didn't come here because I'm ashamed. A bit of shame never hurt anyone. I came...because you're sick and you asked. And because sometimes...on a good day...if I try, very hard...I'm not some old Time Lord who ran away. I'm The Doctor."

The first words I ever wrote about The Twelfth Doctor, and I quote, were "...Yeah. I don't much like Twelve." At the time, my dissatisfaction was rooted in the fact that Moffat had failed at differentiating him from the Doctors who came before him. Especially in that first episode, "Deep Breath", Twelve comes across not as his own character but as a weird, old, kinda crabby version of Eleven.

There's no there there, in Capaldi's first episode. It's a confused mess that doesn't have any real understanding of what sets apart Twelve from Doctors Nine, Ten, or Eleven. As I mentioned nearly half a year ago, a Doctor's introductory episode that doesn't introduce the audience to The Doctor fundamentally fails. Oxxidation assured me that such issues were only applicable to the season premiere. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have to disagree.

Series Eight never gives the audience an impression of who, or what, Twelve is. Part of this is intentional; much of Twelve's arc revolves around the fact that he's unsure about every aspect of his personality. "Am I a good man?" is not only a philosophical question, it's the operating credo of Twelve's freshman season. This allows Series Eight to examine The Doctor on a personal level never seen before. Previous seasons have contrasted "The Doctor" as title versus the Doctor as man, but none have felt so steadfastly unsure of itself as Doctor Who Series Eight. As Oxxidation once mentioned, every previous Doctor has been some version of the well-meaning if flawed cosmic do-gooder. Twelve, in contrast, was defined by being so undefineable that even that base assumption couldn't be made about him.

I agree, this made Twelve into a singularly different Doctor than those who had come before him. His journey last season was a highly personal one, and gave the season an introspective edge that the show hadn't really had before. Certainly not to the degree with which Series Eight employed it.

The problems with this approach, however, are twofold.

For one, making the central personality of The Doctor this unknowable, constantly shifting thing meant that Twelve had no ledges where I, as a viewer, could find purchase. Everything about Capaldi's Doctor was intentionally ambiguous, so he ended up a character I found impossible to empathize with. I don't need to like a fictional character. In some ways, I find it much more satisfying when a show is able to make someone compelling while being intentionally dislikeable. For instance, Breaking Bad. Walter White is one of my favorite television characters of all time; by the end of Breaking Bad's run, he was a horrific, petty, sociopathic monster. The wondrous accomplishment of showrunner Vince Gilligan, though, was in his ability to place the audience in Walt's shoes, to provide them with his specific perspective and worldview that informed every decision he made. This didn't make the horrible things that Walt did any less horrible, but it did make them more understandable. And that's the essential trait that every good character has: empathy. The ability for the audience to relate to fiction on a personal level is an essential building block of good storytelling.

The setup for Series Eight meant that by design the audience was never able to empathize with Twelve for most of its run. He was too vague a character for such connections to form; the audience could never understand his worldview because he didn't even know what his own worldview was.

And, I think, that's why Oxx enjoyed Twelve as much as he did in his premiere season. Oxxidation has mentioned offhand that he doesn't go in for big, emotional writing, and obviously Series Eight Twelve wasn't exactly this huge, swooping, heart-on-his-sleeve character like, say, Ten. But I think Oxx's central disinterest with personally connective fiction met its logical extreme with Series Eight. The question "Is The Doctor good?" meant that Oxx was able to view the season in the most logical way possible. That's the sort of writer that Oxxidation is - he loves to view writing the way that auto mechanics view cars, as a collection of disparate elements that all, as one, work together to accomplish a singular goal. Having the "arc words" of the season be something as existential as the morality of its main character allowed Oxxidation to look under the season's hood and lay all the parts bare. And, in the process, it and Twelve paradoxically connected with him in a way that none of the previous Doctors ever had. The sense of cold satisfaction from unlocking a particularly involved puzzle, only in a form that Oxxidation inherently understood in narrative fiction.

For me, though, nearly all of his freshman season Twelve was a bare collection of idiosyncrasies and nothing more. I liked Twelve most of Series Eight because Moffat made him do or say funny things, or because Peter Capaldi played him really well. When it came to understanding Twelve on a deeper emotive level, there was nothing there for most of the season.

Which brings me to the second problem with the intentional obfuscation that Series Eight did to Twelve's outlook and perspective. The audience only got a real sense of who Twelve was and what made him tick in episode 811, "Dark Water". Before then, the season was more focused on placing Twelve's vagueness front and center, or delving into The Doctor's backstory (in stories like "Listen") or his current relationship issues (in hours like, say, "Kill the Moon" or "Mummy on the Orient Express") in a way to sort of stall for time. Heck, the show even turns Clara into The Doctor for one episode to highlight how little is actually known about his personality or approach.

By the time "Dark Water" rolled around, I was pretty desperate for some huge revelation about Twelve's personality, which I didn't really get. There was no greater understanding attained via the finale two-parter. Series Eight poses a question that "Dark Water"/"Death in Heaven" answers, but that's all it does. It answers it. Even the answer is a vague, conditional one - Yes and no, The Doctor is and isn't good, he's just an idiot with a box. It's a complicated answer to a complicated question, and in that sense it was the correct one. In the context of a full season with this central question hanging over everyone's heads, to the point where the show intentionally hamstrung Twelve's development to commiserate on it, the answer felt unsatisfactory. The payoff felt somewhat flaccid. The season didn't really coalesce into something more. There was no "A HA!" reaction on my part, nothing in Series Eight that I could point at and say, "That's Twelve. That's who he is. That's what makes him different than those who came before him. That's what makes him unique."

Doctors need that moment. The "That's him. That's who this Doctor is." moment. The earlier they happen for the character, the better. The regeneration conceit allows for the same character to have existed for five decades at this point, with thirteen actors in the titular role. The Big Moment, as I like to call it, is that Doctor's apotheosis, the moment when the character becomes fully realized and different from those who came before. The moment when they well and truly resonate with the audience. By having so much of his first season being an intentional delaying of The Big Moment, Twelve's ascendancy needed to be similarly explosive. It just wasn't, and as a result cheapened the season as a whole, at least for me. The payoff wasn't worth the wait, in other words.

What's most interesting is if we compare The Big Moment of the previous three Doctors to Twelve's (lack of) Big Moment. Ten's is the most obvious and the least necessary, because he was such a "What You See Is What You Get" character archetype. But even in the context of being the clearest and most easily digestible of the Doctors, Ten still received that excellent monologue aboard the Sycorax ship. The scene tells the audience everything they need to know about the Tenth Doctor, the needlessly melodramatic and overly expressive screen hog. Eleven gets his Big Moment during his first episode, as well, with the "Basically, run." scene from "Eleventh Hour". It's able to impart the central dichotomy that is Eleven, the sort of egotistic humility, the self-loathing self-parody that defines him. For Nine, it took a bit longer, but by "Dalek" The Ninth Doctor had been clarified from his predecessors. The depression, sociopathic violence, and post-traumatic stress - essentially, the severely damaged war veteran - were all traits that were pushed to the fore in Nine's sixth episode, allowing the audience to understand the depths of his guilt and shame.

Which, finally, brings us to "The Witch's Familiar". I like this hour for a lot of different reasons, chief among them being the quote with which I kicked off this review. After thirteen episodes, Twelve finally receives his Big Moment. And boy, is it a doozy.

I really love Twelve's "bloke in a box" monologue. It layers Twelve in a thoughtful and articulate way. It's able to express every complicated aspect of his character with an economy of words that's impressive. Twelve, in contrast to Doctors Nine through Eleven, owns the self-loathing he feels over dwelling on it (in the case of Nine and Ten) or ignoring it (in the case of Eleven). Twelve is honest, pure, able to recognize reality and simply power through it. There's no paralyzing attacks of conscience because he doesn't have time for it; he got it all out of his system in his first season. He's there to do a job, and he does it.

This sort of utilitarian, no-nonsense worldview is exclusively Twelve, and is what makes him unique. His humility is factual; Nine professed to be humble, but when the chips were down he revealed his unassuming facade to be just that, a facade. Ten and Eleven didn't even try, since the former turned self-absorption to an art form and the latter was in a constant state of deception, intimating he was grander than he was.

Twelve's modus operandi is that of the "realist". He makes no grand statements he can't immediately back up. He doesn't think of himself as this wondrous being of light, he's exactly what he is - a bloke in a box. He's under no delusions. Even the way Twelve resolves the episode - by recognizing the inherent failure of Davros' plan and letting it implode on itself - is such a perfectly Twelve solution to an episodic threat. There's no monologues, no shouting. He came because Davros was sick and he asked. That's the beginning and end of it. He realizes that "The Doctor" is a beatific ideal to attain, something he, the nameless Time Lord who ran from Gallifrey all those years ago, should aspire to be. Sometimes, he's able to assume that mantle. More often than not, he isn't. Either way he's fine with that. The point is in the trying.

This is the strength of "The Witch's Familiar" as a narrative piece. It has problems, of course, but its largest asset is in its ability to mine depths from a trio of characters. Most obviously The Doctor, but also from Davros and Missy.

What's most interesting about Davros is that he's perpetuating a deception while still, seemingly, telling the truth. Nothing speaks to that inherent dichotomy more than the fact that Davros' position within the story of "Familiar". He's lulling The Doctor into a false sense of security, sure, but does so by being honest. Davros is going to die, hence all the skulduggery in the first place. He, essentially, manipulates The Doctor with the truth.

Such duality allows scenes like Davros' "sincere congratulations" speech to still be resonant, even after the twist reveal. Davros is still a man on his deathbed. Every single one of his lines have a confessional quality to them, illustrating the importance that he places on both family and on The Doctor. He, sincerely, thanks his greatest enemy for finding the Time Lords again.

Davros reveals himself to be a man of contradictions in "Familiar". He's both proud, and lives in lethal fear of the Daleks. He both idolizes and hatesThe Doctor. He both owes his life to and is disgusted by The Doctor's "greatest weakness" - compassion. Davros' contradictory nature is displayed most obviously right before the climax when he, in a moment of supreme weakness, begs The Doctor, "Did I do right, Doctor? Tell me. Was I right? I need to know. Before the end. Am I a good man?" It's both a way to "lull" The Doctor in a false sense of security and a sincere question. It's obviously meant to be a direct callback to the previous season ("Death in Heaven" in particular), where The Doctor was paralyzed by his own internal moral confusion. Instead of Twelve's crisis at the beginning of his life, Davros' exists at the end, the guilt of a man about to have his sins weighed and knows he's overburdened with them. Davros, this episode, comes across as both tragic and detestable, speaking further to the inherent duality that guides his decisions.

Duality's sort of the name of the game in "Familiar", as Missy stresses to The Doctor. Missy's whole arc this episode is ostensibly as comic relief. And what fantastic comic relief she is, from poking holes in the Dalek in the sewer to the little dance she does at the Daleks' shouted "YOU WILL TELL US!" to her amazing monologue in the cold open. But it's all meant to stress the central point she makes to The Doctor, in her own homicidal way. People - even Time Lords - are more than what they appear. They can be an, ahem, hybrid of both good and bad points, be both friend and enemy. This duality even extends to her little teachable moment with Clara in the cold open, considering she's the closest thing the show has ever had to a hybrid Doctor/Companion. (Rather explains Clara's metaphorical journey inside a Dalek, implying how even the show's most irredeemable enemy may have something worth saving, deep inside.) Missy means to impress on everyone, but mostly The Doctor, that everyone is more than one flat thing, so maybe perhaps he should cut his favorite Scottish psychopath a break every once in a while. Unfortunately for her, she does so by nearly killing off the one person The Doctor literally cannot live without, so her "lesson" falls on fairly deaf ears. Still though, points for trying.

"The Witch's Familiar" isn't perfect television, not by a long shot. Outside of Clara's Dalek shenanigans - which are more to the credit of Nicholas Briggs' amazing voice work over anything else - Jenna Coleman's character feels particularly unnecessary here. Superfluous, even. Every scene her character's in she's swallowed by Michelle Gomez's incredible acting. But even besides that Clara doesn't really have an "arc", per se, merely existing as the beleaguered straight man for Missy to screw with, or for The Doctor to save. To be fair, this follows her plot uselessness from "Magician's Apprentice", but it's still really weird that the major Companion feels so completely pointless to a two-parter.

I still am kinda split on both the cold open and the "Hybrid" climax reveal. The former because, even though it accomplishes its aim of giving Missy her teachable moment about Time Lords to the Companion that most, most desperately wants to be a Time Lord, it still comes across as overly smug. And not, like, Missy's brand of overly smug. A sort of meta-narrative smugness. One where Moffat sets up a cliffhanger and then resolves it by having the most full-of-herself character on the show essentially say, "Come on, you honestly thought we were dead at any moment? What are you, stupid?" It reeks of disrespecting both narrative stakes and audience investment, even though it was almost certainly not that. Gives the cold open a dismissive air that I have a difficult time moving past.

With the "Hybrid" stuff it's even more complicated. On a metaphorical level, it works. And, to be fair, as it's revealed "Familiar" immediately takes the piss, considering the guy who talks up the Hybrid gets his karmic comeuppance literally seconds later. Oxx even noted to me that "Hyrbid", being the arc word of the season, is interpreted in interesting ways as Series Nine continues. It's really, really hard for me to look past that since my body fundamentally rejects even the concept of a Dalek/Time Lord hybrid so vehemently. I'm keeping an open mind, and I'm not going to grade the episode down since within the bounds of the episode the Hybrid plot point was handled pretty well, but just. Jesus loving Christ. That's some sub-fanfiction level dumb bullshit.

"The Witch's Familiar" is not must-see TV. It's not the greatest episode ever written, it's not some brilliant genre-defining work of science fiction. To be quite honest, on rewatch I almost fell asleep in the first act, which is never, you know, a good thing. But, conversely, it's never really bad; I waffled over the grade I'd give this episode for a really, really long time, having an unusually extended conversation with Oxxidation about it. It was only until we were making a pro/con list that I found myself not having any real issue with "Familiar". Nothing significant stood out as particularly damning besides the "bitch is back" stuff. It was inoffensive at worst.

But you know what "The Witch's Familiar" is? It's workhorse. It pays off an inconsistent and severely flawed first half by putting its head down, powering through, and simply accomplishing its task. Not with huge, bombastic moments, but with a sense of humility and reserve uncharacteristic of Doctor Who. In an episode that has the moment that I can finally point to and go "That's it. That's Twelve," "Familiar" ends up being a pure expression of Capaldi's Doctor: a utilitarian, honest, and no-frills hour that means to express certain themes and ideas, and does so. In a way, it's the most fitting Twelve episode there could have been.

Grade: B

Random Thoughts:
  • Special note must be made for how goddamn terrible that "bitch is back" line Missy says is. Like, wow, holy loving poo poo Moffat, dude. Dude. Apparently it's an Elton John reference, which might be the whole divide of an American watching British television that uses British cultural references coming into play. But, just, man. In the moment that line was just wretched.
  • Clara: "Why are you sharpening that stick?" Missy: "Well, I've no idea how long we're going to be stuck out here. Might have to go hunting." Clara: "Well...why am I tied up?" Missy: "In case there's nothing to hunt." (exaggerated wink)
  • The Doctor: "Of course, the real question is: Where did he get the cup of tea? Answer: I'm The Doctor. Just accept it."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 13, 2016

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Good stuff, Occ. I dare say you're getting pretty good at this.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

:siren: ALERT ALERT TOXX ALERT ALERT ALERT :siren:

:toxx:
Myself, Toxxupation/Occupation, and Oxxidation both agree to watch and review every episode of upcoming webseries Automata in a thread. That's five reviews, each, for each one of the five upcoming episodes. :toxx:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Myself, Toxxupation/Occupation, and Oxxidation both agree to watch and review every episode of upcoming webseries Automata in a thread. That's five reviews, each, for each one of the five upcoming episodes. :toxx:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The moment when the Doctor rolls into the room in Davros' wheelchair and all the Daleks immediately recoil backwards is a beautiful loving moment :allears:

I do think that 12 had his "moment" in season 8 at the end of Mummy on the Orient Express when he reveals he's both the compassionate person who tries to save people that Clara wants him to be AND the pragmatist who gets poo poo done rather than dwelling on what can't be changed. If not then, then his "wizard banishing the monsters" moment in Flatline stands out to me as the point where I felt we were truly seeing the 12th Doctor at his core best. His line in this episode about always trying his best to earn the title of Doctor but the trying being the important thing was very good though.

Mostly what makes this episode stand out to me is in the individual performances from Bleach, Capaldi and Gomez, probably in that order. Bleach in particular is fantastic in portraying Davros as a guy who uses the truth to sell a lie, and how carefully he listens and adapts to the Doctor to try and get him to do what he wants.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The moment when the Doctor rolls into the room in Davros' wheelchair and all the Daleks immediately recoil backwards is a beautiful loving moment :allears:

Yeah, I have problems with this episode but that moment is terrific.

Something Toxxupation missed since he doesn't have history with the series is that this is the best Davros has been on screen since Genesis of the Daleks. In the original series, every time they brought Davros back after the first there were some severe diminishing returns. In the 80's where he appeared in every Dalek episode he was just boring and pointless, much as he was in his previous appearance in the new series. This story had a great reason to bring him in, used the character well, and the scenes between the Doctor and Davros were fantastic.

FWIW, the other time I think Davros was great was in the audio Davros where the Doctor and he wind up as coworkers at a corporation and engage in petty bickering.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
The Witch's Familiar

Let's be real. It was always going to be a trick. Davros was always going to be tricking the Doctor and the Doctor was always going to be tricking him. No other outcome was possible, given the structure of the show and the people running it.

But imagine. Imagine if it weren't. Imagine if it really were just about an evil old man calling up his greatest enemy to have a chat with him before he died. I wanted that episode.

Anyway, this one was still pretty okay.

A

Angela Christine
BSam
cargohills
DoctorWhat
Lottery of Babylon
Organza Quiz
Regy Rusty

B

Ajax 99
And More
AndwhatIseeisme
Enourmo
Jet Jaguar
jng2058
Mind the Walrus
mycelia
onetruepurple
Paul.Power
Red Metal
Sinestro
Weird Sandwich
Xenoborg

C

2house2fly
Alkarl
blasmeister
Howe_sam
NeuroticLich
ThNextGreenLantern

D

Overall.

F

Not a lot of hate.

Overall Average Guess: 3.1
Standard Deviation: 0.7

Current rankings:

And More: 0
mycelia: 0
onetruepurple: 0
Red Metal: 0
Sinestro: 0
Weird Sandwich: 0
Ajax 99: 1
Alkarl: 1
blasmeister: 1
Enourmo: 1
Jet Jaguar: 1
Mind the Walrus: 1
Paul.Power: 1
Xenoborg: 1
2house2fly: 2
AndwhatIseeisme: 2
cargohills: 2
DoctorWhat: 2
Howe_sam: 2
jng2058: 2
Lottery of Babylon: 2
NeuroticLich: 2
Organza Quiz: 2
Regy Rusty: 2
ThNextGreenLantern: 2
Angela Christine: 3
BSam: 3

A bunch of people still tied for first, but we're only two episodes in, so that's not a surprise. On to the next...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

idonotlikepeas posted:

But imagine. Imagine if it weren't. Imagine if it really were just about an evil old man calling up his greatest enemy to have a chat with him before he died. I wanted that episode.
It actually would have been incredible.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

There's 3 of you doing 25 reviews each now?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I felt like they got Twelve down in his first episode really.

"Those people down there. They're never small to me. Don't make assumptions about how far I will go to protect them, because I've already come a very long way. And unlike you, I don't expect to reach the promised land."

He either pushed the cybercontroller or whatever out of the balloon, or convinced it to commit suicide, and it doesn't even matter which because the point is that he killed it. This after abandoning Clara so he could find out more safely. He's clearly as capable of love and compassion as Ten or Eleven (probably more so, look at how crushed he is in Deep Breath when Clara wants to leave) but he's ruthless about casting it aside when it won't save the day, and it's this which makes him wonder if he's a good man. That weird coexistence of compassion and cruelty made him interesting to me, and one of my disappointments in these last two episodes was how that aspect of his character got neutered. He's just a slightly gruff nice man now, like Eleven again but actually old.

Edit: that scene where Davros has the confession dial and the sunglasses and the Doctor gets agitated and Davros gloats about having hit a nerve and wonders what could be inside the confession dial and the Doctor snatches up the sunglasses is absolutely classic

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 13, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, I have problems with this episode but that moment is terrific.

So good :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

"Admit it, you've all had this nightmare." :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought the whole Clara in the Dalek bit was really funny

So I gave an episode about Daleks an A

This is what I've been reduced to

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The_Doctor posted:

"Admit it, you've all had this nightmare." :allears:

"Proposition: Davros is an insane, paranoid genius who has survived among several billion trigger-happy mini-tanks for centuries. Conclusion: I'm definitely having his chair."

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Jerusalem posted:

I do think that 12 had his "moment" in season 8 at the end of Mummy on the Orient Express when he reveals he's both the compassionate person who tries to save people that Clara wants him to be AND the pragmatist who gets poo poo done rather than dwelling on what can't be changed. If not then, then his "wizard banishing the monsters" moment in Flatline stands out to me as the point where I felt we were truly seeing the 12th Doctor at his core best. His line in this episode about always trying his best to earn the title of Doctor but the trying being the important thing was very good though.

I'd also put forth "Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference?" and the moment in Last Christmas when he claims not to recognize that Old Clara has gotten old. That one, especially, I love because it totally pays off on the slightly disconcerting statements Twelve had been making at Clara's expense over the previous season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, both of those were excellent too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Is it this episode or the previous one with "the only other chair on Skaro" because that bit was great. Also "Supreme Dalek, your sewers are revolting."

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

McDragon posted:

Is it this episode or the previous one with "the only other chair on Skaro" because that bit was great. Also "Supreme Dalek, your sewers are revolting."

Both in this one, both excellent.

E: The chair on Skaro is similar to a joke in Fatal Death, which shouldn't come as a surprise at this point.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Doctor: You really are dying, aren't you?
Davros: Look at me. Did you doubt it?
The Doctor: Yes.
Davros: Then we have established one thing only.
The Doctor: What?
Davros: You are not a good doctor.

and then the laugh they actually share together is a magical moment.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
That exchange actually hit me a little bit. It's a great moment.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Reminded me a bit of the end of The Killing Joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

2house2fly posted:

That weird coexistence of compassion and cruelty made him interesting to me, and one of my disappointments in these last two episodes was how that aspect of his character got neutered. He's just a slightly gruff nice man now, like Eleven again but actually old.

I agree. Maybe it's a sign I should probably stop watching a drama that's mainly for children.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Let's be real. It was always going to be a trick. Davros was always going to be tricking the Doctor and the Doctor was always going to be tricking him. No other outcome was possible, given the structure of the show and the people running it.

I wanted this too, really. Two old men talking was the best part of this colourful kid's sci-fi.

Anyway, I thought that one was okay. Davros was great until he was hamming up the place again (which is unusual as he's most often enjoyable because he's a ham). I didn't get the whole Missy traps Clara in a Dalek subplot, it seemed superfluous, and it's interesting the the review just glides by it because it takes up a large chunk of the screentime. You could probably just cut it all out and not lose anything.

• Locked thread