Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This was news to me too, since I don't follow HOT SCINTILLATING DOCTOR WHO NEWS

I look forward to JJ Abrams's Doctor Who in 2020, I guess. But this isn't a huge surprise given ratings, really.

Understand that I'm not going to blame it all on Capaldi when I'm saying this, but not having an actor that appeals to women in every episode is probably dragging viewer interest down into the nerd sci-fi gutter again. You can subvert the doe-eyed CW-ness of RTD's early seasons, but there's a demographic of about 50% out there that liked the man-service of the past few Doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Craptacular! posted:

I look forward to JJ Abrams's Doctor Who in 2020, I guess. But this isn't a huge surprise given ratings, really.

Understand that I'm not going to blame it all on Capaldi when I'm saying this, but not having an actor that appeals to women in every episode is probably dragging viewer interest down into the nerd sci-fi gutter again. You can subvert the doe-eyed CW-ness of RTD's early seasons, but there's a demographic of about 50% out there that liked the man-service of the past few Doctors.

Maybe Capaldi can regenerate into Benedict Cumberbatch. Tumblr chicks love that guy.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe Moffat gave him a two year headstart in the hopes that his first season will be as good as the first season of Broadchuch was? You know, the ONLY thing Chibnal has done that has actually been genuinely great?

:negative:

He... he didn't do a bad job rewriting 20 year old Law & Order scripts to be set in London, I guess?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

clicked because I thought it was going to be ghostbusters related, got anime instead

you'll be hearing from my lawyers

No worries, I got you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwmdDenZwo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Craptacular! posted:

They should make Capaldi wear a pink outfit, so women will associate him with berries and want to watch the show again.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Craptacular! posted:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Again, I wasn't even saying it's all on the Doctor.

Rory was sexy you fucks

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

remember 42?

Yes. That was great.

No wait. I'm thinking of the film Sunshine. That was great.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe Moffat gave him a two year headstart in the hopes that his first season will be as good as the first season of Broadchuch was? You know, the ONLY thing Chibnal has done that has actually been genuinely great?

:negative:

He seems to be way better when he has some time and a singular idea under his belt, so maybe he'll just do the one season and pass it off to somebody else.

With my luck it'll be Joseph Lidster.

Craptacular! posted:

But this isn't a huge surprise given ratings, really.

I genuinely think it has nothing to do with that. Nobody could work on this show forever, and Moffat has been hinting at passing the torch for a good while now.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Chibnall?

Well, maybe it'll be good, who knows. Moffatt's final episode will probably be a cracker anyway

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_the_Flood_%28Doctor_Who%29

In which the Doctor pulls himself up by his bootstraps.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Toxxupation posted:

And here's where the two-parter's careful plot construction goes all pear shaped and patchwork. It's kind of got that mishmash of scenes that Magician's Apprentice/Witch's Familiar had earlier. Found the various resolutions a bit forced here to really enjoy them all, but I still can't not like Capaldi on the guitar licks and Peter Serafinawicz is cool even doing stupid stuff. Plus the opening theme was extremely my poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chibnall is worse than Moffat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

I liked that the episode opens and closes with the Doctor acknowledging the confusion over where this loop initially started, and it does some interesting stuff in between. But the Fisher King is a real waste of a very cool design, the story feels like it's missing sections of script/moments of characterization, and it kind of annoys me how the Doctor quasi-acknowledges that the ghosts weren't really ghosts after making such a big deal out of deciding that they WERE ghosts in the previous story. The whole thing ends up with a very half-finished feel to it, helped by some very good acting, some good quality visuals, and Capaldi hauling the quality of the story along after him.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Here's my thoughts on Chibnall taking over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQD-dXfHrvk

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Craptacular! posted:

Isn't that kind of what happened with Colin back in the 80s? Perhaps not so much in the 'manservice' department, but he was a fairly major departure from the audience's expectations, being much more abrasive, with a showrunner who stayed on perhaps longer than he was welcome. Only the difference there was there was nobody to take over.

Honestly, having somebody who can actually get the production side of things under control is important. I mean, much as people criticise some of RTD's writing, the man was consistently able to produce the show.

Either they need to get someone who can actually juggle both, or split the roles of producer & head writer.

I'm rather nervous about Chibnall, though.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
I dream of Chibnall coming into his own with a sudden onset of steadfast organization, sharp logistics, and load-bearing people-wrangling; And keeping his bleargh writing fingers far away from any actual scripts apart from the necessary continuity editing.

It could still be okay! Possibly!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The thing I liked about Under the Lake was the "catch the ghosts in the cage chamber" plan. All too often in Doctor Who it feels like the bulk of the episode is spent meandering aimlessly around the setting until they either stumble upon the villain's chamber or pull out the instant win technobabble at the forty-minute mark. I liked that for once they were able to move immediately to enacting a straightforward plan that made sense given what had been established.

Unfortunately, outside of that it was completely uninspired, and part 2 was a big nothing.

I didn't mind the bootstrap thing at the start, but I also don't see the point of it. Bootstrap paradoxes show up in Doctor Who all the time -- as recently as last season we saw them in Listen and Time Heist, and Moffat's most famous episode Blink is built entirely out of them. Here, for the first time I can remember, they explicitly call attention to it as a paradox but... they don't go anywhere with it. They just say "That sure is a paradox, isn't it?" and then move on. Why bring it up now?

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I dream of Chibnall coming into his own with a sudden onset of steadfast organization, sharp logistics, and load-bearing people-wrangling; And keeping his bleargh writing fingers far away from any actual scripts apart from the necessary continuity editing.

It could still be okay! Possibly!

The best thing for the show would be to bring back the Producer // Script Editor dichotomy. The people who can produce the show (Chibnall, Gatiss) can't write for it to save their lives, and the people who can write the show (Moffat, most well-received episode writers) probably can't produce. There's no real reason for them to be combined into a single Showrunner role beyond "RTD did it".

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Boy howdy did I dislike this one. Under The Lake had a cool premise and a mystery and a cool cliffhanger with the Doctor's ghost. I figured the next part would have the Doctor trying to solve poo poo while Clara took initiative and acted Doctorish like she usually did, only this time opposed by a spectre of the Doctor.

And then the episode goes out of its way in the opening to telegraph the living poo poo out of the twist. HEY GUYS DO YOU KNOW WHAT A BOOTSTRAP PARADOX IS? IT'S NOT LIKE THIS IS HOW THE EPISODE IS GOING TO BE RESOLVED OR ANYTHING!

Not only that, but the Fisher King's rad design, and indeed the entire premise, basically amounted to "I'm going to make ghosts to TAKE OVER THE WORLD NYEH HEH HEH"

Definitely my least favorite of the S9 episodes you've covered so far.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The inclusion of the explicit Bootstrap Paradox discussion seemed like they wrote normal, inoffensive episodes and resolution (doing a smidge of Doctor/Clara character development along the way) and realized that there wasn't anything remotely memorable about them. And sure enough, the only thing I really remember about these episodes is the discussion of the paradox (and the Fisher King's really great design).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

FreezingInferno posted:

Not only that, but the Fisher King's rad design, and indeed the entire premise, basically amounted to "I'm going to make ghosts to TAKE OVER THE WORLD NYEH HEH HEH"

No, the idea was just to make enough ghosts to boost the signal back home, so his people could invade Earth. Because including a transmitter on your interstellar space hearse would be unsporting.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The inclusion of the explicit Bootstrap Paradox discussion seemed like they wrote normal, inoffensive episodes and resolution (doing a smidge of Doctor/Clara character development along the way) and realized that there wasn't anything remotely memorable about them. And sure enough, the only thing I really remember about these episodes is the discussion of the paradox (and the Fisher King's really great design).

The whole episode feels like that. Why do you think they ended up sticking hammer and sickles all over the houses in the town and saying it was a mock Cold War Soviet training yard? Cause otherwise it would have just been a bunch of houses.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The only real thing that bothered me about the bootstraps stuff was the way the Doctor talks about it directly to the audience

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I honestly enjoyed the bootstrap monologue to the audience, it felt like a neat way to explain the concept they were dealing with. A little ham handed but I love stupid poo poo too, so :v:

Alkarl fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 25, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I like it when the Doctor talks to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Have the ratings dipped that bad? It'd be a pity too, because Capaldi has really really grown on me. On the other hand it's kind-of refreshing to hear of a scenario where dorky women clamoring for a hot guy in a geek property is the problem when all too often it's been the reverse.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mind the walrus posted:

Have the ratings dipped that bad?

In 2016 ratings are projected to fall to zero.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

mind the walrus posted:

Have the ratings dipped that bad? It'd be a pity too, because Capaldi has really really grown on me. On the other hand it's kind-of refreshing to hear of a scenario where dorky women clamoring for a hot guy in a geek property is the problem when all too often it's been the reverse.

The ratings have dipped some, but pretty much everybody involved in the show have blamed the fact that it's been all over the schedule. I doubt the fact that there's a senior citizen in the lead role has much to do with it. Granted, I'm not an expert in this area, but if that were the case surely more people would have left after Tennant? Matt Smith just looks like a weird fucker.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I realize this is boiling it down a lot, but Matt Smith has that David Bowie look and his Doctor was kind of the right character at the right time for basically looking like a hipster in your granddad's old wardrobe.

Capaldi is kind of doing it in reverse, and while yes it is awesome to see a grey haired guy playing a guitar on a tank inside Medieval Times, there isn't any real purpose to it. It feels like they make SO WACKY!!1 things for the purposes of generating memes (think an image macro that says "I'm playing a guitar on a tank with knights, therefore your argument is invalid.")

The opening two parter really hammers it home. The Doctor feels very distant except when he's having a heart to heart with Davros, and while some of the things he does otherwise are truly great (like riding Davros's chair around) it does sort of feel like someone went "they'll want animated gifs of THIS on Tumblr tomorrow!"

It's probably that Moffat is exhausted, but there used to be a time when the show's dialogue itself could go viral, not how goofy characters looked performing it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp, I watched the first episode of One Punch Man, so that's the next week of my life gone.

I might as well check out Making a Murderer as well and write the rest of January off.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

One Punch Man was really good, too bad my girlfriend won't watch subbed anime.
Chibnall is really bad, I didn't even like broadchurch season one that much. Maybe he's a better organizer than writer?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Capaldi is kind of doing it in reverse, and while yes it is awesome to see a grey haired guy playing a guitar on a tank inside Medieval Times, there isn't any real purpose to it. It feels like they make SO WACKY!!1 things for the purposes of generating memes (think an image macro that says "I'm playing a guitar on a tank with knights, therefore your argument is invalid.")

The opening two parter really hammers it home. The Doctor feels very distant except when he's having a heart to heart with Davros, and while some of the things he does otherwise are truly great (like riding Davros's chair around) it does sort of feel like someone went "they'll want animated gifs of THIS on Tumblr tomorrow!"

It's probably that Moffat is exhausted, but there used to be a time when the show's dialogue itself could go viral, not how goofy characters looked performing it.

No offense but I think you're just getting old. Outside of the first 1.5 series of the revival the show has always had a strong eye for playing to its internet fanbase. Most shows have since the mid-00s, and show have been engaged with its fanbase through the internet and listening to it since the 90s.

I mean you're not wrong at all, but well, it's also not a new thing this show or really any show has been doing for at least a decade now. You're just noticing it more for whatever reason.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Jerusalem posted:

Welp, I watched the first episode of One Punch Man, so that's the next week of my life gone.

I might as well check out Making a Murderer as well and write the rest of January off.

Enjoy OPM, I think it's a drat fine show.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

They've dropped about a million to a million and a half over Capaldi's first year, which had been about on the level of Smith's last; and the ratings as a percentage of audience share have also dropped from the 30-35% range into the 20-25% range. On the other hand, the audience Appreciation Index is holding steady, it's been put on about an hour later than it should be, and they absolutely will not just pick a regular broadcast time and stick with it. Recommissioning shows it's not in danger yet, but I'd be willing to bet that if they were still getting 8 million a week like RTD used to get, we wouldn't be waiting a calendar year for the next series.

This feels kind of like GMS's JN-T moment; he and Eric Saward were out of ideas by the time Peter Davison left, and they really should have quit while they were ahead and the show was still healthy and someone else would have wanted to do their jobs, but they didn't, and hopefully it's going to turn out that GMS got out in time and the show can move on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I realize this is boiling it down a lot, but Matt Smith has that David Bowie look and his Doctor was kind of the right character at the right time for basically looking like a hipster in your granddad's old wardrobe.

ninthdoctorheadbobbing.gif

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

it's been put on about an hour later than it should be, and they absolutely will not just pick a regular broadcast time and stick with it.

This more than anything else I think is the big issue. It's on at a different time each year (or not at all!) and even then week to week it starts at a different time of the day, and far later in the evening than it should. Wasn't it airing at like 8pm mostly during this last season? That's 1-2 hours later than its ideal family viewing/dinner time scheduling should be.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The thing is, it's always bounced around within about a half-hour range depending on what's in the schedule earlier, but firmly in the 6-7pm zone where it's never later than being the last thing the kids watch before they go to bed. I kind of get what they seemed to be doing last year, which was to have it after Strictly and hopefully keep the audience, but that pushed it far too late, and to my mind it's the sort of thing that wants to lead into Strictly instead of out of it. Typical BBC One schedule from 2015, in case anyone's interested, and here's one from 2010 to compare - note that Who leads into the big reality show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Man, and we have to put up with BBC America airing the show at the insanely late hour of 9pm.

Honestly, I don't think I could make my Saturdays work right if the show wasn't on in prime time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Occ has been sick for the better part of this week, as some of you may have noticed by the sharp decrease in shitposting here and elsewhere, so this week's review and subsequent watch will most likely be delayed. Not that it matters much, since his deadline just got a 12-month extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
and here I thought he was just off playing Monster Hunter: Final Fantasy Edition

get well soon friend~

• Locked thread