Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Burkion posted:

The Master is an ugly, hateful creature that is afraid of death and has an inferiority complex about the Doctor a mile wide. The Master is a truly, utterly, wretched soul, and hasn't quite had a moment to really express that yet.

Well, if that's the case, then I think I prefer a more impish\chaotic character than a overwhelmingly cruel character. So I'm glad I am not exposed to that version of the character.

I don't think this show in its current form has the maturity or composure to do a character like that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

Well, if that's the case, then I think I prefer a more impish\chaotic character than a overwhelmingly cruel character. So I'm glad I am not exposed to that version of the character.

I don't think this show in its current form has the maturity or composure to do a character like that well.

Even in the Classic Series they mooooooostly hid that behind his falsely friendly exterior like the Master currently puts on. Some bits of nastiness would seep through, like the overwhelming sexism that followed the character, but generally hidden. Every Master though got to show their true self at least once, including Simms.

Just, everything with Lucy. Every loving thing with Lucy.

It's why I hold out hope we'll get to see Gomez play with the actual black hearted nature of the Master later and show why the two, no matter how well they can get on at times, ever could be friends.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My problem with this episode was that Moffat jammed everything including the kitchen sink into it and because of it there's no sense of "this is important" or "this is going to mean something down the line."

A creepy gentleman with snake like features (and who turns out it made entirely of snakes) glides across the galaxy on one of those Hovetrax type deals looking for the Doctor at Davros’ request.

UNIT is on screen for a few moments and it’s Clara who does the bulk of the thinking for them.

Missy spends the scene in Spain killing two UNIT agents and in the next scene her and Clara are the best of friends.

The Doctor’s A Knight’s Tale type moment isn’t touched upon other than “The Doctor knows he’s going to die so he’s going all out” even though he’s introduced amplifiers and a CHALLENGER 2 BATTLE TANK to the Middle Ages.

The first 30 minutes of this episode felt like it could have been a bunch of web-special vignettes that set up a 90 minute episode made up of the back half of this episode plus the next one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Middle Ages tank guitar is pretty much the worst scene the show has ever done and it proves that when Moffat can't think of what to do he goes back to the same well because it's exactly the kind of thing he would have written for Smith

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

There was a lot of great individual bits in this episode, most of which are mentioned in the review, but in the end it felt incomplete. That's to be expected with a two-parter to some extent, but the best two parters are those where each individual episode can stand on its own. This is all set-up and it feels it, there isn't so much a story here as there is the arranging of the stage furniture to get everything into place for the actual plot (part two).

2house2fly posted:

I can safely say this is probably my least favourite Moffat episode.

Oh thank God, I somehow found myself in a universe where The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe was never made :woop:

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

it seems weird to me to trivialize moffats flaws as a writer by saying RTD was worse. I mean, he was, but saying "it could be worse" isn't a very insightful review of a written work.

also I generally agree with the review. the plot is sort of a mess and it's biggest problem is how moffat leans on references and acknowledged facts throughout instead of plotting.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Middle Ages tank guitar is pretty much the worst scene the show has ever done and it proves that when Moffat can't think of what to do he goes back to the same well because it's exactly the kind of thing he would have written for Smith

You've become predictable

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

Oh thank God, I somehow found myself in a universe where The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe was never made :woop:

Oh oops! Second least favourite

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

yo remember that part in series two where that concrete slab canonically gives blowjobs to a somethingisawful goon

nope never happened, sorry

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Escobarbarian posted:

Can Matt Smith even play guitar?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

You've become predictable

Well yeah if a terrible thing happens obviously I'm going to say it was terrible

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The old "playing electric guitar on a tank in the middle ages" cliche. Really wish Moffat would stop going back to that well.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Escobarbarian posted:

Well yeah if a terrible thing happens obviously I'm going to say it was terrible

You don't seem to like this show very much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, that's unfair! I like the pavement blowjob episode!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Now he did actually kind of justify that in dialogue, implied the Doctor's been spending this party going through all his old personalities for fun.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I feel like the guitar was very specifically Capaldi, as the man was in an actual punk band at the height of the scene in Britain. Some of his costumes pushed that even further this season with the plaid pants. I was happy that he was getting to put more of his own personality into the role.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Practical Demon posted:

I feel like the guitar was very specifically Capaldi, as the man was in an actual punk band at the height of the scene in Britain. Some of his costumes pushed that even further this season with the plaid pants. I was happy that he was getting to put more of his own personality into the role.

I think he's said as much in interviews.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You know things are in trouble when you begin to prefer the Master over the Doctor, and this was not a good start to a series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Burkion posted:

Even in the Classic Series they mooooooostly hid that behind his falsely friendly exterior like the Master currently puts on. Some bits of nastiness would seep through, like the overwhelming sexism that followed the character, but generally hidden. Every Master though got to show their true self at least once, including Simms.

Just, everything with Lucy. Every loving thing with Lucy.

It's why I hold out hope we'll get to see Gomez play with the actual black hearted nature of the Master later and show why the two, no matter how well they can get on at times, ever could be friends.

In my opinion, the Master would sooner abandon all their prejudices and fears than entertain even briefly the notion that they aren't the most incredible person in the universe. Their capacity for self-loathing must be nearly zero.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The Master went a bit too close to being basically the devil for a while, but I think the character works as a person who is obsessed with one-upping The Doctor.

The last few have interactions with the Doctors that foil their outlooks perfectly. Tennant's reaction to defeating the Simm master is basically "it'll be a burden, but I'll try and save you, too." And The Master's response is to roll his eyes and choose death over being a pet project to tweedy shouty Jesus. On the other hand, Capaldi's Doctor basically has no time for outward appearances for anyone, and so appropriately enough, this Master is straight up clingy. She "wants a friend back," she belittles the companion's importance to the Doctor and presents herself as being Married In All But The Name to him.

The Master is that old buddy who knows your nickname from tenth grade, and thus thinks they have a closer bond with you than your fiancee that you've lived with for the last five years. And it's all appropriate because Capaldi's Doctor has less affection to give than most generations and he saves it for the people who truly deserves it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 4, 2016

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
So, it looks like several contest entries got spamfiltered; I've dug out the entries and updated the relevant posts with the new information. If you entered but still don't see yourself in there, please let me know!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yo this might legit be the insanest poo poo ive ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okc8Bn0zVwM

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

What's up with the narrator's pronunciation? Sounds like either an accent or a stroke. :ohdear:

edit: I guess it's just a Japanese guy trying really hard to sound American? Really weird.

And More fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2016

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

does the eye-level tablet stand get sold separately or do I have to preorder?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Just a reminder: anybody who sent me just their guess on the first episode should send me a guess on the second one at some point before it gets reviewed.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witch%27s_Familiar

In which Missy broaches a dirty subject.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

"Now say, 'Your opinion of this episode is different than mine.'"
"EX-TER-MIN-ATE!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My favourite part of this drat episode is when Clara says "but the Tardis got blown up!" and the Doctor said "actually it blew itself up safely" and the Tardis reconstructed itself around them. That's like a troll-level resolution

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That Dalek let her...... inside it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This episode is basically Master Who, and that makes it great. Well, that, and Davros bringing his acting chops and earning his re-appearance after many seasons.

gently caress those glasses.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The glasses own, actually.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the sonic sunglasses are, as Otacon would say, the poo poo

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, the sunglasses are cool. They make Capaldi look like an aging rock star. Which he is. Have a sample.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And More posted:

Yeah, the sunglasses are cool. They make Capaldi look like an aging rock star. Which he is. Have a sample.

If we're pulling out thing he did when he was young we may as well repost the gold:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

God drat it, J-Ru. Just...drat it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

2house2fly posted:

My favourite part of this drat episode is when Clara says "but the Tardis got blown up!" and the Doctor said "actually it blew itself up safely" and the Tardis reconstructed itself around them. That's like a troll-level resolution

Doctor Who has deadened me into accept its neverending bullshit but that one was a bit much even for me

Jerusalem posted:

lmao

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Inside the Dalek was last season keep up

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Davros was the highlight of this episode, and his interactions with the Doctor. Everything else was kinda meh, except I did like the MERCY part.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love the Sonic Shades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Davros, mastermind creator of the Daleks, returns after seven years' absence with a dastardly scheme. The Doctor foils the scheme by letting it run without any interference at all.

• Locked thread