Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be an interesting review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

It may be a bit annoying, but it totally fits the character. The Master is the kind of character who would turn into a woman and loving love it. A whole new half of humans to troll!

Not really.

The Master was overwhelmingly sexist and awful in the classic and Modern series. I always thought the Master should have an air of self loathing about her own gender change, to really reinforce how truly dreadful a creature she is.

Because the thing is, and this gets lost behind the shiny happy surface of the Master- the Master is a monster. The Master is an ugly, hateful creature that is afraid of death and has an inferiority complex about the Doctor a mile wide. The Master is a truly, utterly, wretched soul, and hasn't quite had a moment to really express that yet.

It's all been very winky and noddy and belies what really makes the Master truly a great villain. Gomez is a fantastic actress though so hopefully we'll get to see it sooner than later.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ashpanash posted:

Well, if that's the case, then I think I prefer a more impish\chaotic character than a overwhelmingly cruel character. So I'm glad I am not exposed to that version of the character.

I don't think this show in its current form has the maturity or composure to do a character like that well.

Even in the Classic Series they mooooooostly hid that behind his falsely friendly exterior like the Master currently puts on. Some bits of nastiness would seep through, like the overwhelming sexism that followed the character, but generally hidden. Every Master though got to show their true self at least once, including Simms.

Just, everything with Lucy. Every loving thing with Lucy.

It's why I hold out hope we'll get to see Gomez play with the actual black hearted nature of the Master later and show why the two, no matter how well they can get on at times, ever could be friends.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

That Dalek let her...... inside it.

Inside the Dalek was last season keep up

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pouring one out for my Moffat

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

The Zygon 2-parter is interesting as all hell. I like it, with conditions.

You like half of it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I like it exactly as much as I like Kill the Moon: I appreciate and understand what it's trying to do enough that I can forgive its lack of elegance.

You'll never know how disappointing that is to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

None of these are criticisms I have ever thought of leveling at this two-parter. The dialogue is cringeworthy, the plot makes no sense, Osgood is insufferable, and Invasion was so bad that I gave up on finishing the season for a full 3 months. I don't hate the subject matter, I hate the episode as a whole.

He refuses to analyze the first part of the Zygon stuff on its own never mind the fact that it's its own episode, so all of that, I assume, was directed at KTM.

He also cannot move past himself when it comes to talking about these episodes for whatever reason and seems to think that makes him better able to engage them than others. But that's a whole other thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Literally what does this mean?

You learned some advanced theory and college level courses on writing and fiction and apply it to your everyday thinking without really considering why or if you should.

So you work that into your way of thinking without fail on near everything you consume and you work it out on those levels. Then you look at others who do not consider things in the same way or approach it from the same direction and you write the majority of them off because they are doing it differently without considering what you have considered.

Never mind if they should.

This is like, your thing.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That's a bit harsh. DW is entitled to his opinion, regardless of how dumb the episode is.

It likely is yeah. He just does this all the time especially with Who.

Ends up falling into the same traps with it too.

It's fine and it has its place, critical thinking and the like always does- just using that as an excuse to ignore or discount others is never a good idea in my opinion.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

You know what, that's a mostly fair assessment. Except that I try not to steamroll other perspectives except when those perspectives are trying to establish themselves as definitive or absolute.

Like "[X Episode] sucks because it has Bad Science, and furthermore the Bad Science is evidence that they Didn't Care when they were making this episode so the episode must be bad."

There's like four worse-than-baseless & arbitrary assumptions and evaluations in that line of thinking but by GOD is that very argument loving omnipresent.

And it's exhausting because there are interesting conversations to be had about how even bad episodes work, how they function, what they were going for and where they went wrong.

So to me it's very irritating when folks dismiss [any given piece of media] completely out-of-hand, usually for Cinema Sins-level 'offenses'. Because the OTHER qualities, good and bad, are 100% of the time more interesting and can further conversation.

Like, I'm not gonna go all Hbomberguy and declare the Star Wars Prequels as secret masterpieces. They fail to stick the landing on 99% of the stunts they try to pull and are totally busted as a result. But when you can see the underlying gameplan, the routine that was prepared but ended up fumbling and fumbling over itself, there's something to talk about.

Normally I allow all of this, because you know whatever, your opinion you go to it.

The only one where I disagree entirely with you is this particular episode because it is just dreadful and the ONLY way you can save it is by hog tying it to the next episode which we cannot talk about and limits discussion.

The thing is though is that this episode should stand or fall on its own merits. It was designed to be consumed separately and lead into another piece of media. So giving it a pass is just ludicrous to me.

Because this is a Bad episode of Who. This is a bad episode of anything.

I also don't want to dogpile on you because that's not something I like to do. So let's see what the host of this thread thinks of the episode before going further.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had to go with Genesis for the ones listed.

I had no other choice.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really surprised Doctor What hasn't come back into the thread to give his thoughts.

Also one thing you'll see from the reaction thread is that, much like yourself, most of us were fooled by the first viewing, and just how awful the first part was.

The episode pissed me right the hell off because of a lot of reasons, though I try not to rant too much in Who threads because there are those who instantly think that means I am an Anti Moffat Hater or some bullshit and it just becomes a massive headache.

I can say I do not care for Harness what so ever so far! If his messages haven't been intentional or on purpose, then he has the worst luck in the world when it comes to imparting lovely confused messages.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

Lucina is marth, but also can be your waifu

QED mofo

Waifus are for the weak.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Super Soldier bred for war- literally cannot stand being mildly toasty.

Seriously, anyone barring maybe certain children and wheelchair bound people could have made it through that fire and been fine. Maybe some singed hair.

The entire idea of the monsters is really stupid and not in a good way. Over all, it's an inoffensive episode of television that wastes time and that's about it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clara's death is as hilarious as her character is inconsistent.

Which is extremely.

Oh season 8 Clara, I miss you. You were a terrible person, but you were a consistently terrible person.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

And More posted:

Clara became pretty consistently less of a horrible person after Dark Water (which was peak selfishness).

But in the process she kind of backslid into being the EveryCompanion who does whatever the script needs instead of having an actual character.

Like her season 7 self though with a few more thrill seeker moments.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Count your blessings, bowb. If Moffatt had any other kind of female protagonist left in him then he might have written one. You should feel lucky that Clara wasn't also super smug and yet another love interest for the Doctor.

Even the illusion of depth and female empowerment is probably a decent step up for genre television.

Okay I have to genuinely ask- when wasn't Clara super smug? I mean she was often wrong when she was, but she was smug quite a lot especially in season 8.

And she was most certainly a love interest in season 7. A really poorly thought out, half baked, barely considered one, but one all the same. Thankfully they did put a stop to THAT.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Why are so many of his stories missing

I mean

I love Colin as much as anyone that isn't Doctor What

But we could trade some of his stories for just

A few of Troughtons maybe? Not too many just

Look we can keep Vengeance on Varos. I am told that is a classic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Clara: Is this the first time he's brought a girl home?
TARDIS: :laugh:

Reminds me of Amy seeing all of the Doctor's former companions being pretty girls, and 11's grumpy,"You couldn't have shown her the robot dog, huh?"

He was just happy she never saw Jamie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clara

Was no Donna

But then who is

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

I think that's basically all you know about Rassilion, at least since 2005.

I'm still convinced it's not the real guy.

The Real Guy was a quasi magic gently caress off who was a statue and turned people to stone on a whim. He didn't need no power glove.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

"He left because Time Lords are boring" and "He left because Time Lords are annoying dickbags" isn't really that much of a retcon. Especially since the latter has been brought up quite a bit outside of the Revival series.

This is predicated on Who Nerdery but he didn't leave because he was bored.

We don't know why he left. We likely should never know why he left. That's why hinting at a reason is annoying- it's trying to define something better off undefined.

If all the Doctor left for was because he was bored, the Time Lords wouldn't have given a poo poo about him so long as he didn't gently caress things up in time too terribly. He was nothing to them. They did care- they cared an awful lot. He did Something or Something happened.

He plays it off as he was bored, but there is something more to it that is, again, best left unexplored because it will ALWAYS be titanicaly stupid no matter what it turns out to be.

It was lovely when Old Who would try to answer it and it's lovely now. Moffat really needs to learn his own lesson he tried to impart about the Doctor's name- It Doesn't Matter Leave It Alone.

All this did was muddy some waters and make no sense, meaning the only people who'd actually care, fans who have bothered to watch the old stuff and KNOW something is up with why he left, would dislike it while the rest of the fans DO NOT CARE. Because really, who watching only the Revival would have known that the Doctor was an out and out runaway? It's not exactly a vital piece of Who lore that is accessible.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well somebody is a grumpy Gus.

Not unwarranted but still!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe, if it's the one I think it'll be, just break it in half and review one chunk then the other. That's how some of the longer serials were done back in the day- they were secretly two different stories joined together.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

river song is strong, and proud, and is my friend

I'm sorry

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

if doctor what, and only doctor what, reads through all of homestuck and provides every-hundred-pages book reports in the thread i will watch and review one (1) who thing of his choosing

I mean I'd do it if you asked

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Doctor What

Do this thing

Do this thing as hard as you can

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

You must be out of your god drat mind.

Like, I literally wouldn't know where to begin.

I mean, it isn't as though I'm not tempted by your offer, but I'm baffled by the prospect.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

adhuin posted:

psst... Negotiate for a bigger reward, like toxxu reviewing every of 6th Doctor story.

Oh God No

It's only Homestuck Jesus man

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

To clarify I only expect your writeups to consist of two things

2) they're not a loving summary

I

I actually kind of want to hear him try and summarize some of the later things

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

I'm keeping well out of this, but I will add one rider to DoctorWhat's conditions - starting from Act 5, each Sub-Act cleared will satisfy his two-review criterion.

I just realized this is (both of) your way of keeping that thread alive after The End.

You're monsters.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Hahaha if you think you're doing anything but audios you've got another think coming!

Oh come on!

At least throw them The Classic

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
...So the joke is you two aren't actually enjoying it right?

Because otherwise I'm going to be pleasantly surprised.

Also just think if Davros continued his Dalek schemes with Clam based weaponry

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Come on, get out of your shell.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you judge Genesis by modern standards for quality then no, it's not very good.

But that's an absurd way to look at it unless you're doing it for the sake of comedy. It was made 40+ years ago and reflects that in everything it is. Compared to its contemporaries, it looks 'Fine'.

All sci fi shows of the era were given ridiculously small budgets with next to no exceptions. Star Trek ended nearly a decade earlier, BSG had yet to start, and over in Japan the Tokusatsu genre was floundering due to economic upheavals and the oil crisis.

For the time it was made, Who looked, Fine.

For this time period at least. See a trick with Who is that it was started in the 60s on an absurdly small budget, as it was effectively a PBS kids show and as the decades dragged on, that budget? Never really got better. So while the show started off looking incredibly cheap and went overbudget by a lot to get even the barest of quality done, they eventually found their footing and stabilized by the late 60s. The Late 60s through the mid to late 70s is when Who looked its best, quality wise, because they knew what they were doing, usually, and the cost of making a show had not yet skyrocketed past what they could cope with.

There are of course stinkers there where they attempted things that they could not possibly pull off, like Robot or Invasion of the Dinosaurs, but on the whole this was the best time for Who looking Of Quality.

Then the 80s happened and Who's quality took a sharp nosedive. Later Classic Who unarguably looks cheaper and worse than older Classic Who, and this is why. The cost of making a show went through the roof, while that budget of theirs staid rock bottom.

Who never really recovered from that either. Modern Who started over a decade ago, but time hasn't been unfair to its effects- look at its contemporaries, New Who looked like garbage from day one. We hit a stabilization period in Season 5, but then the same problem of trying to do anything outside of their reach results in utter garbage.

So yeah. Old Who was never great looking, but almost nothing was on TV back then. Or, largely, in movies either. Looking at you Gamera franchise.

The biggest hurdle with enjoying Old Who is just being able to accept that. I grew up watching movies and TV from drat near every era so I am very well versed in why Bride of Frankenstein, 1935, is one of the best movies ever made while House of Frankenstein, 1944, is an awful, awful piece of garbage.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

Wow. This is a great paragraph and point. Can we go out drinking and talk about movies someday?

Would love to man

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really miss when the Doctor was just Some Bloke who hung around time and space and wasn't very important.

Ten built himself up as a terror, and Eleven and Twelve have both carried that on as Important. I kinda hope that one day we can go back to a Doctor that's a lot less full of himself.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One fun fact about Maggie Sawyer, because when the gently caress else am I going to get to bring this up- she was a lesbian in the DCAU as well and we actually get to meet her lover in the Superman series, after she's been hospitalized.

I like to think that later on that random woman went on to become Batwoman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

Nah, that was her girlfriend from the Superman comics at the time.

Oh, and the current Starfire comic and the older Power Girl book from the same writers would probably fill a lot of Toxx's comics criteria. They're both rare totally fun and goofy high concept books with focuses on good female characters.

The Power Girl book from just before the New 52?

If so I agree, but with one huge provision- half of it is good.

The first half is fantastic and fun as gently caress. Then the second half kind of loses its footing and then it gets mired in bullshit crossovers and events until it finds its footing again and its great and fun and then new 52 happened

One important thing to note with Power Girl, because it always comes back to her costume- Power Girl's costume sucks. Some don't, but most do. Her New 52 look sucks, her pre New 52 look sucked- my favorite look for her was a full body version of her white suit (she was allowed to have pants AND SLEEVES HOLY poo poo) that showed up a few times in the pre 52 books.

• Locked thread