Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Cartouche posted:

The mere caliber for one thing. A 5.56/.223 is basically the projectile size of a .22 bullet. a .30 caliber deer round will open up a hell of a more viscious wound channel and exit. The average AR round (most sold are FMJ) will in a nutshell poke a hole in you. Hunting arms/rounds are designed to take down a game animal as fast as possible to be humane. A typical M4/AR round is for inflicting casualties, not outright kill.

That difference is magnified by the coolness of the lever action.

I thought the ".556 was not designed to kill" thing was a myth and that even tho the round is small it's got a bunch of powder behind it and the sheer velocity of the round does a fuckload of damage by itself but idk nothin about ballistics really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

see this is were you lose me; what is the point if it's just mass produced garbage with no real value other than being able to shoot well on a budget when there really honestly isn't any need. Yes technically McDonalds is edible food and is cheap but that doesn't make it not McDonalds or worth getting excited for.

of course I say this but really I don't understand gun collectors/enthusiasts. I went to a range for a while to use my StG 44 (grandpa got it back in france) and people would not stop trying to buy it off me and they wouldn't take my answer of "no it's my dead gay grandpa's and his poo poo is important to my family".

...are you a gun hipster?

"Huh, why do people like this modern gun that offers a great and affordable shooting experience and can be customized to do whatever you want, it's just so very common. If it's not an NFA-controlled machine gun made by artisinal Nazi labor it's just not worth the bother."

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

wiffle ball bat posted:

I thought the ".556 was not designed to kill" thing was a myth and that even tho the round is small it's got a bunch of powder behind it and the sheer velocity of the round does a fuckload of damage by itself but idk nothin about ballistics really

There are a lot of variables that go into the equation when discussing stuff like this of course.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah guns are like darts or jarts that you can use to kill 30 people in five minutes if you want

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

yeah guns are like darts or jarts that you can use to kill 30 people in five minutes if you want

Jarts were successfully banned. guess what won't be?

edit: heh

Wouldn't happen if the victims had had jarts. Makes you think.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't think guns will be banned, I'm just saying you can use them to kill 30 people in five minutes

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

LGD posted:

...are you a gun hipster?

"Huh, why do people like this modern gun that offers a great and affordable shooting experience and can be customized to do whatever you want, it's just so very common. If it's not an NFA-controlled machine gun made by artisinal Nazi labor it's just not worth the bother."

Lol

I think the issue is that an ar is a tool. Its a very effective weapon, useful in many different scenarios. It's not sexy tho. It has unfortunate cultural implications. It's popular. If your gun is a toy you need a cool toy, a conversation piece.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

I don't think guns will be banned, I'm just saying you can use them to kill 30 people in five minutes

OK.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

wiffle ball bat posted:

Lol

I think the issue is that an ar is a tool. Its a very effective weapon, useful in many different scenarios. It's not sexy tho. It has unfortunate cultural implications. It's popular. If your gun is a toy you need a cool toy, a conversation piece.

Well yeah, but

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
the utter wangness of an ak would make a better pic imo

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
its even wang colored

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I can see the appeal of guns in non-hunting states: imagine if you could play darts hundreds of feet away, and emulate crazy action movie badasses, and the weapon has historical value, and makes you a powerful individual, and it's a marvel of mechanical engineering.

For supreme nerds: imagine if you saw a cool dude use a lightsaber in a movie, and you could go buy a fully functional replica of that lightsaber.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
imagine how many 1st graders you could kill in 5 minutes with a lightsaber. holy poo poo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

wiffle ball bat posted:

imagine how many 1st graders you could kill in 5 minutes with a lightsaber. holy poo poo

fortunately thanks to visionary director George Lucas we don't have to just imagine that, because this is a thing that happens in his lighthearted prequel movie made for families and children

though tbf that atrocity has nothing on the romance scenes in Attack of the Clones

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

LGD posted:

fortunately thanks to visionary director George Lucas we don't have to just imagine that, because this is a thing that happens in his lighthearted prequel movie made for families and children

though tbf that atrocity has nothing on the romance scenes in Attack of the Clones

I have never finished watching attack of the clones because I turned it off during the first romance scene in some field

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

radiatinglines posted:

I have never finished watching attack of the clones because I turned it off during the first romance scene in some field

they don't get better

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

LGD posted:

oh yeah the younglings lmao

i hate sand

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

just so we can all relive the magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwkE4trA48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5jjXTPtyY

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Please update the OP: My guns are still strewn about my house is a casual way.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is the AR truly the pitbull of guns?

Also, what are some cool guns I can get that don't have the negative stigma of having been in popular video games?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wiffle ball bat posted:

Instead of spending like $400 on a glock get a $200 makarov or something. Don't get a rifle that costs like a new MacBook Pro, get a greasy Chinese sks. Get a gun with some history and style.

Arent makarovs awful trash though?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Is the AR truly the pitbull of guns?

Well, pitbulls kill a hell of a lot more people per year than ARs do. Maybe?

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

Mange Mite posted:

Arent makarovs awful trash though?

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about them but I've never shot one either

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wiffle ball bat posted:

I've never heard anyone say anything negative about them but I've never shot one either

the best thing ive heard about them is that theyre great bottle-openers

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Mange Mite posted:

the best thing ive heard about them is that theyre great bottle-openers

More like body-openers, am I right?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I actually own several firearms and i just checked and they're all still there; what's up with that

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if obama forced all guns to be made in china, he could kill the industry. nobody will buy chinese guns. except libtards

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Nonsense posted:

if obama forced all guns to be made in china, he could kill the industry. nobody will buy chinese guns. except libtards

if they're inexpensive enough you might be surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Now I may be one of them weird Austin-techno-quasi-hippy types, in favor of all sorts of commie crap like universal access to health care and education, rebuilding and expanding our infrastructure, funding scientific research, limiting fracking and other economically destructive activities and such.

But I'm also one of those weird Austin-techno-quasi-hippy types that is massively in favor of things like nuclear energy, sending poo poo into outer space just 'cause we can, and shooting guns.

I fail to see how any of Obama's executive order affects any of us in any true, meaningful way? At best it's platitude to a frightened block of people with utterly no connection to any of the tragedies of the past few decades yet clamor "MORE MUST BE DONE!" while still making sure that actually... nothing continues to be done.

The left will be perpetually confused, the right will be perpetually ignorant yet very loud; meanwhile, I'm going to go to my friend's ranch, build some solar panel rigs while listening to bluegrass and weird european techno, roast a pig, shoot some guns, and smile in the sun because none of this friggin' matters.

• Locked thread