Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I cant wait for the government to declare me insane for not agreeing with everything it does, and then thanks to obama's free healthcare I get to stay in the mental hospital forever.

There is a high probability you probably do agree with literally everything he's signing an EO on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
i mailed the president a gun for his birthday and all i got were these federal charges :(

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

satanic splash-back posted:

Have you considered that it is you who are stupid?

Yes of course I'm also stupid but I don't think that a firearm would stop the govt from pounding me in the rear end.

I'm not advocating for gun confiscation, only saying that injustice prevails despite the high number of guns and patriots

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

homeless poster posted:

that's the best part, he's specifically calling out 14 kids from a school shooting over 3 years ago. even if he was genuinely blubbering every night about that, how the gently caress is now the time for action?

yes, when they died senselessly, the timing was not right to try and enforce sweeping regulation to prevent that from ever happening again. but now, years after the fact, when i'm running out the clock on my final year as president, now is the time for some meaningless dickwaving that will ultimately be repealed by the next POTUS.

obama: what? no, of course i don't give a poo poo about any of the children in the U.S. who have died from a variety of any other neglectful, preventable circumstances within the last three years. brown kids at weddings that get bombed from orbit? acceptable losses.

He proposed a ton of legislation after Sandy Hook and it all got shot down.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homeless poster posted:

that's the best part, he's specifically calling out 14 kids from a school shooting over 3 years ago. even if he was genuinely blubbering every night about that, how the gently caress is now the time for action?

yes, when they died senselessly, the timing was not right to try and enforce sweeping regulation to prevent that from ever happening again. but now, years after the fact, when i'm running out the clock on my final year as president, now is the time for some meaningless dickwaving that will ultimately be repealed by the next POTUS.

obama: what? no, of course i don't give a poo poo about any of the children in the U.S. who have died from a variety of any other neglectful, preventable circumstances within the last three years. brown kids at weddings that get bombed from orbit? acceptable losses.

the GOP blocked everything so now he's trying an executive order

BITCH

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

For reference since it is too hard to google things.

The White House's proposed congressional actions were these:
  • Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
  • Reinstating and strengthening the federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (AWB 1994) that expired in 2004.
  • Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
  • Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
  • Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers" who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
  • Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
  • Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the (ATF).
  • Eliminating a restriction that requires the ATF to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
  • Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
  • Provide additional $20 million to help expand the system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
  • Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
  • Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.

The GOP could have said gently caress you to everything but the last 4 things on this list because they are uncontroversial and something they harp on whenever a shooting happens but instead we got absolutely nothing done.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Obama: "hey let's re-paint the trim on this house that is currently burning down"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toadvine posted:

Yes of course I'm also stupid but I don't think that a firearm would stop the govt from pounding me in the rear end.

I'm not advocating for gun confiscation, only saying that injustice prevails despite the high number of guns and patriots

what do you think they would do with them, line up in rows like some Napoleonic army? the US army got kicked out of Iraq by people with a lot less and shittier weapons

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

[*]Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.

[*]Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL motherfucker is going to buy more MRAPS and LRADs for racist scumbag cops and he's going to get the left to suck his dick for doing it.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

For reference since it is too hard to google things.

The White House's proposed congressional actions were these:
  • Requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales, including those by private sellers that currently are exempt.
  • Reinstating and strengthening the federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994 (AWB 1994) that expired in 2004.
  • Limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.
  • Banning the possession of armor-piercing bullets by anyone other than members of the military and law enforcement.
  • Increasing criminal penalties for "straw purchasers" who pass the required background check to buy a gun on behalf of someone else.
  • Acting on a $4 billion administration proposal to help keep 15,000 police officers on the street.
  • Confirming President Obama's nominee for director of the (ATF).
  • Eliminating a restriction that requires the ATF to allow the importation of weapons that are more than 50 years old.
  • Financing programs to train more police officers, first responders and school officials on how to respond to active armed attacks.
  • Provide additional $20 million to help expand the system that tracks violent deaths across the nation from 18 states to 50 states.
  • Providing $30 million in grants to states to help schools develop emergency response plans.
  • Providing financing to expand mental health programs for young people.

The GOP could have said gently caress you to everything but the last 4 things on this list because they are uncontroversial and something they harp on whenever a shooting happens but instead we got absolutely nothing done.

Thanks Obama for proposing to spend 4+ billion more dollars of tax payer money.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

LOLOLOLOLOLOL motherfucker is going to buy more MRAPS and LRADs for racist scumbag cops and he's going to get the left to suck his dick for doing it.

:911:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

That isn't what he proposed today that is what he proposed after Sandy Hook.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
So this is it? All are guns are being taken away now? Thanks obama

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hand. :cheeky:

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

I dont have a gun and I'm not american but if I did and I was I would let Obama take it away because he seems like a very nice man.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rare Collectable posted:

I dont have a gun and I'm not american but if I did and I was I would let Obama take it away because he seems like a very nice man.
that's how they get you, secretly, he isn't :twisted:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese
The ATF just removed CLEO sign-off requirements for NFA items. Neat!

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Great day to do this with all the deportations and all. Would hate to get Trumped by the lamestream media.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I'm going to enjoy watching gun nuts cry over nothing.

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine

PoPcornTG posted:

I'm going to enjoy watching gun nuts cry over nothing.

same, but im going to double my pleasure by watching anti-gun nuts cry over nothing as well.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Are people going to get angry about the increased funding for mental health? It seems uncontroversial but I don't understand the GOP anymore

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Are people going to get angry about the increased funding for mental health? It seems uncontroversial but I don't understand the GOP anymore

They will because Obama is calling their bluff and they loving HATE when he does that.

He said something along the lines of "Whenever there's a mass shooting, Republicans blame mental health issues. My bill proposes an additional $500 million in funding for mental health care. Put your money where your mouth is."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

You are supposed to bootstraps your way to better mental health

Yudo
May 15, 2003

it depends how the $500 million is spent, and i'm sure as hell not reading that poo poo. its easier to get angry.

Basically, there isn't much in the way of mental health infrastructure left as well as legal issues that keep notably insane mass shooters like Jared Loughner from being hospitalized.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Also, $500 million doesn't seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things. Mental health care is super expensive and there are a lot of crazy people who have easy access to guns.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Retail Slave posted:

Also, $500 million doesn't seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things. Mental health care is super expensive and there are a lot of crazy people who have easy access to guns.

It's not the guns I'm afraid of the crazy people getting a hold of, it's the crazy people getting enough funding to run for the Democratic Party that's the real danger.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Who will stop the firearm genocide

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
if only contrails really could explain everything that is wrong with me

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Yes, this x100. Very good point. Even if we had the money to hospitalize everyone who needed to be, there is nowhere near the space to do so, nor the staff to treat and maintain them post stay. The costs are well in the billions per year, so what is on offer is not even close.

I do think it's worth reiterating that vastly more gun crime is a result of the drug war and crimes of passion than loonies zapping what they think are space aliens with their Glock. Suicide by gun is also a major killer of Americans. Nonetheless, the fundamental causes of "common" gun crime are rarely if ever addressed.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's incredible ownage of conservatives in the same manner as adopting literally the Heritage Foundation's plan for healthcare reform

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doccers posted:

The ATF just removed CLEO sign-off requirements for NFA items. Neat!

Wait is this true? Dont troll me

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's incredible ownage of conservatives in the same manner as adopting literally the Heritage Foundation's plan for healthcare reform

To be fair, they are getting owned too. Just like the rest of the country

wiffle ball bat
Oct 2, 2015

by Shine
like 99.9% of homicides are done by people who've never had a psychiatric hold put on them. the mentally ill are far less violent than the general population. this whole thing is fuckin stupid imo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wiffle ball bat posted:

like 99.9% of homicides are done by people who've never had a psychiatric hold put on them. the mentally ill are far less violent than the general population. this whole thing is fuckin stupid imo.

Most homicides involve drugs booze and/or women, so obviously the solution is strict sharia law

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Taint Reaper posted:

I wish he would get that emotional over terrorism.

That's the pic after he had Bin Laden and Gaddafi killed.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Mange Mite posted:

Wait is this true? Dont troll me

Yep, ATF 41P changes two things primarily, (and this is super-condensed and simplified mind you) #1: Fingerprinting and photos required for everyone in a trust that will have access to the NFA Item, and #2: changes from Chief Law Enforcement Officer signature required to start process to Notification of CLEO at end of process - no signature required, they're just made aware.

#1 makes things a bit more paperwork intensive and really annoying for people who have trust members living in different states, but that's about it.

#2 is a significant departure and erases an 80 year old Jim Crow law from the books, so yay!

It also cleans up and streamlines the process for what happens to NFA items after the owner is deceased, for the better, too.

Heck I don't see anything really bad about the entire Exec Order sheet from today:

1. Keep guns out of the wrong hands through background checks - The 41P rule. It requires everyone in the trust to go through a background check upon aquisition, but also strips the jim crow CLEO rule. A win for everyone really.

2. Make our communities safer from gun violence. - This is mainly adding 200 ATF agents, to enforce existing laws and assist with investigations and handle the added workload 41P will bring. No problems there, maybe the backlog will drop from 1 year to 6 months. bonus.

3. Increase mental health treatment and reporting to the background check system.- This is the most potentially worrying, due to the way it MIGHT be interpreted but probably won't be, IE, "If you've ever taken Ritalin for ADD, you can't ever own a gun ever". I doubt that would stand up, so it's most likely just going to make sure that those who are already disqualified under current rules are actually on the NICS list. Adding an extra half billion to mental health isn't bad either, but it's just a drop in the bucket sadly.

4. Shape the future of gun safety technology. - Cool, more research for "smart guns" that isn't a clusterfuck like New Jersey's failed law. This might ACTUALLY design something worth having, and may even change the BATFE's ruling that electronic triggers are machine guns and thus verbotten.

Clarify that it doesnt matter where you conduct your businessfrom a store, at gun shows, or over the Internet: If youre in the business of selling firearms, you must get a license and conduct background checks - This isn't new, the BATFE already has set policy on what constitutes "in the business" and it hasn't changed, it's just being enforced now.

(skipping the ones we already covered)

Make the background check system more efficient and effective. - Hiring more FBI and NICS agents to make sure the wait time doesn't exceed the current "welp you get it anyways" law. A win for everyone.

Everything else is just funding for enforcement of existing rules and laws, which is good because the Obama administration has really fumbled the ball on enforcement, charges filed for violations are currently like less than half of what they were under Bush.

The mental health one and changes to HIPAA laws are the most "Controversial" but that's only if you take an extreme reading on it that probably wouldn't stand up to constitutional muster anyways.

All in all a pretty good day.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

wiffle ball bat posted:

The mental health funding is more to prevent the 20k gun suicides a year.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead hand. :cheeky:

Dude, just stop. Your act wasn't even funny the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
You guys realise that your second amendment rights are being highlighted by commercial interests, right? They're making it seem important for you to own guns so they can sell you guns. Those same commercial interests lobby politicians to make guns more available, and now you live in a country with cheap, easily available guns, and coincidentally the highest murder rate of any first world country.

And before you dumbshits chime in with "mental health problems", if you have a country full of crazy people, you should be trying to take the guns away from them.

• Locked thread